Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

sc problem, sc guys plz help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 02:13 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

sc problem, sc guys plz help?

ok, a few days back i posted about what i thought was a bad exhaust/clog i have found out that i have neither of these problems, so when leaving the muffler shop (very angry) i got rev crazy and rev it to redline a good 20 times. after doing so i caught a stoplight,when the light turn green i went ahead an gave it one good pull,bam battery light,brake light comes on. ok no problem i shredded my belt but you know what the noise that i heard is no longer there at or above 4000rpms whats the deal? i thought i might have melted those plastic pulleys but won't know for sure until the end of the week when they look at it. does anyone know what else could have made that nose? mabe the belt wasn't tight enought? also when boosting i wouldn't get full boost. plz help as i don't know where to start looking for the problem thanks dave
Old 08-18-2003, 08:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

do you have the car with you? just open the hood and take a look at the pulleys to see if they are in good shape or not. I read your earlier thread and you mentioned that the belt shredded because of the melting pulley.

you can check the belt tension too, just follow the stillen installation guide.

about not getting the full boost, have you checked to see if there's any leak on your intake or charger pipe? what pulley are you running and how much boost do you see?
Old 08-18-2003, 03:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: sc problem, sc guys plz help?

Originally posted by daveauth21
ok, a few days back i posted about what i thought was a bad exhaust/clog i have found out that i have neither of these problems, so when leaving the muffler shop (very angry) i got rev crazy and rev it to redline a good 20 times. after doing so i caught a stoplight,when the light turn green i went ahead an gave it one good pull,bam battery light,brake light comes on. ok no problem i shredded my belt but you know what the noise that i heard is no longer there at or above 4000rpms whats the deal? i thought i might have melted those plastic pulleys but won't know for sure until the end of the week when they look at it. does anyone know what else could have made that nose? mabe the belt wasn't tight enought? also when boosting i wouldn't get full boost. plz help as i don't know where to start looking for the problem thanks dave
a loose belt gives off a squealing noise, a rubbing belt against metal gives off a irritating squeaky noise, when a belt is begining to rub and then shreds it gives off different types of noises, a flapping noise and other noises specially if its hitting other parts of the car. I cant say what type of noise, but if your belt shredded and you dont hear the noise then dont worry about it. How ever when installing a new belt just dont start the car and drive off, while the car is up in the air on jack stands and after installing new metal pullies have someone turn on the car for you just in case the belt begins to make noises or come off aligment you can have them shut if off and not have to worry about removing the plate all over again so look closely at the alignment of the belt and see what is causing it to drop or come off out of alignment. A new metal pulley may not always solve the problem.

Jaime