Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Turbo teardown has begun....

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 07:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Turbo teardown has begun....

As you all know with Hal's setup ands it major problems, Ive decided to tear apart the whole thing and get it right. I began tearing apart the most important part and going to get all this ceramic coated. Im going to start by getting the turbine housing ceramic coated. While that is getting done, Im going to get the compressor housing polished or maybe chromed if possible.

Then we will think about how i want to re-do the Reverse Ypipe. I looked at it and it may not be easy to remove the piping now that it is welded in one piece. I dont think I have enough ground clearance to remove the piping even with the jack on jacks. Might just sawzall the joker off.

http://bigdogjonx.com:81/fullpics/turbo/teardown/ Those are the pics. Yes this only took me 1hr by myself. Its not really that hard. At one point I couldnt get the silicone coupler for the intake side (3" coupler) of the turbo to come off, so decided to just slice the sucker and remove it. Will get a new one and more clean cut one instead of a hacked up one that Hal installed.

This is going to be at least a 2week project to get this all done. Good thing I got a crotchrocket to roll to work on. And the Hemi ram should be here anyday.

Dixit
Old 08-17-2003, 08:12 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i can't believe there is no gasket on the oil drain flange and the face that a bunch of oil was coming out of your compressor into your piping. there is just oil all over the place.

best of luck and i will let you know on the powdercoating and chrome tomorrow.
Old 08-17-2003, 08:22 PM
Ramius83

My hats off to you Dixit. Again, if you need any help, just let me know. I will try my hardest to do what I can.....

Old 08-17-2003, 08:28 PM

Erik, You know any ceramic coating shops around us? I know there are a few in Marietta. I want to get this thing done ASAP. Also need a shop that will polish the compressor side as well.

Dixit
Old 08-18-2003, 07:38 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

dixit you can call gran muffler, they should be doing ceramic now, if not cal MIller's powder coating, that is who did my down pipe.

I am jealous.. your doing what I want to do, but maybe you will learn something that will help me.

god luck man, and I will help anywhere I can
Old 08-18-2003, 08:53 AM

Well Grand is not going it yet... Will have to see about getting it to Miller then. Only thing is they are way over in Lilburn, mad far from Canton GA.

Dixit
Old 08-18-2003, 10:46 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

I'd ship the turbo to: http://www.swaintech.com/
Old 08-18-2003, 01:31 PM

I was thinking of Swain earlier, but unfortunately, I cant get over the Pearl white coating they do. I know they have some of the best coatings, but pearl white under my hood with chrome piping and all that is not going to look pretty.

Dixit
Old 08-18-2003, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
I was thinking of Swain earlier, but unfortunately, I cant get over the Pearl white coating they do. I know they have some of the best coatings, but pearl white under my hood with chrome piping and all that is not going to look pretty.

Dixit
I believe it's paintable.

You could always get one of those BLING BLING chrome HKS shields to cover it up.
Old 08-18-2003, 07:07 PM

My friend at Batlground is going to be ceramic coating Jason's pipes on Wed. evening if you want to get in on that. But the ceramic he uses is black, not sure if that's what you want. He had trouble with the shiny silver ceramic turning yellow under extreme heat.

Jason called Miller's today, and they said they're pretty booked up for a while. Next week is the earliest time they have I think.

Dixit
Old 08-18-2003, 09:59 PM

Well I got more pics up of DAY2. Just look at the dates on the files and you will know which ones are DAY2.

Pics in there show the complete Ypipe out. You can see kinda how harsh the 90degree join the front bank comes into the rear piping. The last pic shows that. Some on there show the more hideous welds as well.

Turbo is completely in two pieces now. Going to get that redone. Just need to figure out how to clean and prevent the center part of the turbo from rusting again.

Dixit
Old 08-19-2003, 08:31 AM

Pics in there show the complete Ypipe out. You can see kinda how harsh the 90degree join the front bank comes into the rear piping. The last pic shows that.
That has a serious effect on exhaust energy from the front bank. Making that harsh 90 deg turn kills exhaust momentum and probably creates serious backpressure.

Looking at it further, you can see how the downward momentum of the exhaust from the front bank is going to oppose exhaust coming up from the rear bank, so it's going to create backpressure for the rear bank, too.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:11 AM

Stephen: I fully understand there. Except Im working with very little if any space to figure out how to make a U turn on that pip somehow to get it to join the Y more smoother then how it is right now.

Reason why I dont think it is too bad is since the rear bank has the flow coming, when the front flow joins, the rear is already flowing, kinda forcing the front to go that way as well.

Dixit
Old 08-19-2003, 10:41 AM

Stephen: I fully understand there. Except Im working with very little if any space to figure out how to make a U turn on that pip somehow to get it to join the Y more smoother then how it is right now.

Reason why I dont think it is too bad is since the rear bank has the flow coming, when the front flow joins, the rear is already flowing, kinda forcing the front to go that way as well.

Dixit
Ignoring the effects of different lengths from the exhaust ports, I'd say that's not going to be 100% accurate since the banks fire at opposing intervals.

If the runners are equal, ideally you don't want the exhaust pulses to collide at the collector. However, companies spend BIG $$$ properly tuning exhaust manifolds/headers to get the timing right.

I'd say forget about it and fix what you can.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:32 PM

Well Im probably not going to try to fix it cause its more work that I want to do.... I have to hack off the pipe there, get a new flange and mount that up and mount the hacked up reverseY up there and then tack weld the right angle (if I can even do that.....) then pull it off and do complete weld.

Im working with the car on Jacks, so dont know if I got enough room to get that done. Would be easier with it on a lift.

Dixit
Old 08-19-2003, 02:41 PM

Well Im probably not going to try to fix it cause its more work that I want to do.... I have to hack off the pipe there, get a new flange and mount that up and mount the hacked up reverseY up there and then tack weld the right angle (if I can even do that.....) then pull it off and do complete weld.

Im working with the car on Jacks, so dont know if I got enough room to get that done. Would be easier with it on a lift.

Dixit
Take it over to SRT and play pitiful.
Old 08-19-2003, 05:53 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by IceY2K1

Mo would have a field day with him
Old 08-20-2003, 01:02 AM

I would but I dont live in DC anymore, Moved to ATL about 4months ago.

Dixit
Old 08-22-2003, 10:04 AM
www.autotalk.com

Good luck Dixit since thats all I can say.. Got no clue about turbos :-(
Old 08-22-2003, 11:06 AM

Man Ive got so many parts in my garage. Pipe is dismantled, exhaust header, turbo is in pieces, bolts, all kinds of crap.

Dixit
Old 08-22-2003, 11:44 AM

Man Ive got so many parts in my garage. Pipe is dismantled, exhaust header, turbo is in pieces, bolts, all kinds of crap.

Dixit
I wish I had that problem.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:44 PM

I wish I had that problem.
But a turbo from Hal and you can be there in days.

Dixit
Old 08-22-2003, 01:48 PM

But a turbo from Hal and you can be there in days.

Dixit
Just lacking one thing....$3K+.

Going NX until the powertrain warranty dies, then custom turbo piping+NX.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:55 PM

Good deal. Im probably going to upgrade this to the same one Erik and Kev have (turbo).

But then again why bother, thats what the crotchrocket is for. 1/4 in 10.5sec. And that feeling of going to 75+ in 1st gear? shiet.............

Turbo and NX? what you going to be shooting? like a 35wet shot? What turbo you looking at? And yes Ive been following your threads on the injector issue, I want to push this above 10-12psi but obviously the injectors are the main issue here.

Dixit
Old 08-22-2003, 02:01 PM

Good deal. Im probably going to upgrade this to the same one Erik and Kev have (turbo).

But then again why bother, thats what the crotchrocket is for. 1/4 in 10.5sec. And that feeling of going to 75+ in 1st gear? shiet.............

Turbo and NX? what you going to be shooting? like a 35wet shot? What turbo you looking at? And yes Ive been following your threads on the injector issue, I want to push this above 10-12psi but obviously the injectors are the main issue here.

Dixit
Honestly, I only WANT 300-350whp on tap, however since I'll already have a NX kit, I'll keep it for those RARE occasions when I NEED more, ie racing someone or 1/4-mile.

I'm sticking with a T3/T4 or GT-series equivalent. No need for T4 BS. I'll never use its potential.