Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Time to buy a turbo!! But I have most of what I need... Help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 03:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Time to buy a turbo!! But I have most of what I need... Help?

Here's the deal. I've spent months and months researching exactly what to do for my turbo upgrade. In that time we got to build up my RB25DET S13 and I learned quite a lot about the turbo process. Now... it's time to buy!

Here's the problem. The 'kits' that are out have a set price for a set amount of parts. I dont need near what they offer... Here's what I have:

Autometer Cobalt EGT Gauge
Autometer Cobalt Boost Gauge
Autometer Cobalt Water Temp Gauge
Autometer Cobalt Fuel Press. Gauge
Autometer Cobalt Oil Press. Gauge
Autometer Cobalt A/F Gauge
-(I got a deal on them through a sponsored employee so don't hate)-
255lph Walbro Fuel Pump
370cc Z32 Injectors (w/ JWT program)
Apex'i SAFC-2
Apex'i AVCR Boost Controller
Custom 30"x12"x4" Intercooler
3" Cat with custom 3"->2.5" dual exhast

All of this is INSTALLED (as much as can be) in anticipation for the turbo. The battery has also been relocated.

I debated buying the turbo separately (I want a new T3/T04E hybrid but am open to suggestion) and haven't decided to get it with the 'kit' or separately.

So... what do I have left?

Piping, Wastegate, BOV, FMU, misc silicon.... That's about it.

Will anyone sell me just this? What kind of pricing am I looking at?

I have no means to fabricate the piping, nor do I wish to. If i could and did want to, I'd probably be done now
Old 09-03-2003, 03:53 PM

Heres you main problem, you are not going to find anyone who is going to sell you just the piping for a few reasons, A) its their bread and butter of the kit/design. B) it made to work with the intercooler they designed it with.

So you will have no choice but to get a performance shop to custom bend and weld the piping for you. Thats about all the work you need to get done, the rest like the Wastegate and BOV all can be obtained separately, but would recommend getting them at that time since the shop is going to have to weld the pipes, they might as well weld the Wastegate and BOV flanges.

Dixit
Old 09-03-2003, 03:59 PM

I can make it fit the intercooler. That's no problem.

You'd think that the pipes would have the highest profit margin...
Old 09-03-2003, 04:10 PM

Well you can ask PFIspeed.com but I highly doubt they will sell you the piping itself, and on top of that im sure if they do, they will want a GOOD chunk of change to the point where its not worth buying it from them, might as well get it custom done.

Dixit
Old 09-03-2003, 09:24 PM
Ramius83

Your best bet is to take it to a GOOD muffler shop or mandrel bending shop and let them do it for you. PFI will NOT sell you just the piping either......either find a friend with a welder and order the mandrel bends yourself and weld, or find a shop to do all of it....

Old 09-04-2003, 10:53 AM

Dude just get some U bends and straight pipes, and get a repitable place around town that does custom turbos or custom exhausts. Custom piping should not cost more than 300 dollars, shoudl be way less.
Old 09-04-2003, 03:30 PM

Custom piping at $300? yea right. The mandrels along for a turbo kit will cost just that much not to mention the labor to cut and weld it together. You talking at least $1000 to $2000 for just the piping including the IC and downpipe and feed pipe depending on muffler shop.

Dixit
Old 09-04-2003, 06:31 PM

$1000, maybe you spent that. People around here in Houston can make a mandral bent custom exhaust for $300 dollars or less. Just because you might have spent more, don't get mad. Turbo kit intercooling piping, downpipe, and rest of pipes not including exhaust from cat back, less than 7 feet, right. About $50 a foot including labor, the most $350 dollars.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:02 PM

I aint mad. Im just explaining I think you got your figures incorrect. Most people charge $50 per mandrel bend. And linear foot has nothing to do with IC piping and making a Turbo Feed Pipe. Have you actually priced this out at the shop? Because anyone around, if you bring all the pipes and have it ready for him to weld, that alone they will charge $300 for the labor and time on that. The piping is going to be extra. Catback exhaust is alot easier to build then a IC and Turbo Feed pipe. More intracasies involved and accuracy.

If youve found it for $350 including labor and materials for the turbo feed and IC piping, I dont see why you dont just go and get it done, at that rate you can have a whole turbo kit ready and done for $1500 tops.

Dixit
Old 09-05-2003, 06:57 PM

No way it's going to be $300. Here in Atlanta where Dixit lives and i live, you can get a mandrel exhaust for $300 also. Know what that same shop quoted me for the feed/downpipe/intercooler piping? $900-1000.

Nobody quotes mandrel bent pipes by the foot. Mandrel bend shops quote based on how many bends, what diameter, angle of the bend, how many welds, and so on. Length of piping is the last thing they think of. It cost me $10-$30 for each bend involved in the kit we built for Sadler. It cost me $14.99 for the 7 ft. of 2.5" exhaust tubing we used for straight sections. Based on that, do you really think that a shop will quote based on the length of piping? Even the angle of the bend affects the price. A 180 costs a lot more than a 90 degree bend. The machines are $250,000, you think they're going to charge by the foot when the machine doesn't even care how long the pipe is? The machine costs are based on number of bends. And that is the most expensive part of mandrel bends, the machine time.

It cost $300 just for all the welding involved in building the turbo kit we did for Jason's car, and that was a hookup price.

BTW, there are more than 7 ft. in piping involved in the turbo kit between the downpipe, feedpipe, hot pipe, and crossover pipes. Quite a bit more than 7 ft. Research it a little bit more and you'll see it's way longer than 7 ft. The crossover pipe itself is almost 7 ft. if stretched out. Downpipe is around 3 ft., feed pipe is 5 ft., hot pipe is 3 ft. Total of 18-19 ft. give or take, a lot more than 7 ft. It just looks shorter because of all the bends and curves in it.

If I could get piping for $300 for the kit, I'd be a very rich man making turbo kits.

Originally Posted by spanishrice
$1000, maybe you spent that. People around here in Houston can make a mandral bent custom exhaust for $300 dollars or less. Just because you might have spent more, don't get mad. Turbo kit intercooling piping, downpipe, and rest of pipes not including exhaust from cat back, less than 7 feet, right. About $50 a foot including labor, the most $350 dollars.