Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Greddy type s

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 07:50 AM

Greddy type s

I have the greddy type s bov installed on my max, w the stillen kit, my question pertains to the extra nipple. the one below the big one, that we have a vacuum line hooked to. I read that to make the bov louder and operate faster that you can (optional) hook that other small nipple to a boosted source. Anyone have any ideas on this or information??
Old 09-03-2003, 07:53 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by crewchief264
I have the greddy type s bov installed on my max, w the stillen kit, my question pertains to the extra nipple. the one below the big one, that we have a vacuum line hooked to. I read that to make the bov louder and operate faster that you can (optional) hook that other small nipple to a boosted source. Anyone have any ideas on this or information??
That is correct. Idea being the BOV will act quicker.

Problem is finding a boosted source. When the BOV wants to open, the manifold is under vacuum. If you hooked that up to the 2nd nipple on the BOV it may hinder performance.

There are plugs in the end of the SC that you may be able to replace with a fitting and run a line from that to the BOV. It would still be boosted because its before the BOV.

I don't know that anyone here has tried that, nor do I know how much of a difference it makes.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ejj
That is correct. Idea being the BOV will act quicker.

Problem is finding a boosted source. When the BOV wants to open, the manifold is under vacuum. If you hooked that up to the 2nd nipple on the BOV it may hinder performance.

There are plugs in the end of the SC that you may be able to replace with a fitting and run a line from that to the BOV. It would still be boosted because its before the BOV.

I don't know that anyone here has tried that, nor do I know how much of a difference it makes.
I recently bought a Vortech bov that has the same extra nipple. I haven't mounted it yet, but it looks like the boosted source helps to open the valve, along with the usual manifold vacuum line. So the boosted source needs to come from near the blower outlet (where you always have positive pressure) and not downstream from the bov.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:03 PM

greddy bov

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
I recently bought a Vortech bov that has the same extra nipple. I haven't mounted it yet, but it looks like the boosted source helps to open the valve, along with the usual manifold vacuum line. So the boosted source needs to come from near the blower outlet (where you always have positive pressure) and not downstream from the bov.

I'm probably not going to mess with that extra nipple, I just plugged mine up and the valve works great, and it blows off really well just the way it is-- its really loud.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:13 PM
ejj

So the boosted source needs to come from near the blower outlet (where you always have positive pressure) and not downstream from the bov.
Yup. I would imagine we could find the correct fitting at home depot with a little toying around...Its gotta be a NPT fitting. The V1 has plugged ports in the blower outlet like the V2, right?
Old 09-04-2003, 01:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ejj
Yup. I would imagine we could find the correct fitting at home depot with a little toying around...Its gotta be a NPT fitting. The V1 has plugged ports in the blower outlet like the V2, right?
Mine didn't. One of the things I did this weekend was to drill and tap a hole in the discharge tube of the blower housing for a 1/8th NPT nipple.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:30 PM
ejj

Mine didn't. One of the things I did this weekend was to drill and tap a hole in the discharge tube of the blower housing for a 1/8th NPT nipple.
Hm. Us V2 guys have them from the factory:

Did you drill this hole with the intenet of using it with the BOV, or your other project(s)?