Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

How to completely disassemble a turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 09:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How to completely disassemble a turbo?

Many of you know that Ive totally ripped the kit apart for its rebuild currently. Ive already already taken the compressor housing and exhaust housing apart to get ceramic coated. So Ive got left the center section with the fan blades still attached.

Some say not to touch the 4bolts that the compressor housing backplate is secured to the center section with. Also some say not to touch the nut on the compressor blade to remove the turbine shaft because the whole thing is balanced. Others say that is a crock.

Does anyone have specifics on this? I want to remove the turbine and compressor blades and the compressor housing backplate to clean up the center section, free it of surface rust and paint it with high temp paint. I dont want to have a rustic look in the middle of two nicely polished look housings.

Just incase you want to see pics of what Im talking about.....
Picture of center section of turbo with Housing removed
Closeup of compressor blade and nut that holds the blade down

I tried to seach google to see if anyone has a How to on how to safely dismantle this turbo for repair.

Dixit
Old 09-04-2003, 10:05 PM

well, i think once you take the turbine and impeller out you have to get it rebalance. it's just the smart thing to do since they can spin in excess of 100,000 rpm.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:44 PM

i also heard that turbos need to be balanced.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:07 AM

Well, I just spent about half an hour crafting an intelligent and well thought out discussion about the assembly and balancing of high speed rotating equipment based on my 20+ years in the field of rotating machinery and then it got dumped somehow. Oy vey.

I guess I'll just state the bottom line for now, which is: it is possible that the balance of a turbine-compressor assembly will change due to disassembly and reassembly, even if you take precautions to ensure that the turbine and compressor wheels are clocked correctly wrt to each other and to the shaft. Even minute balance changes will show up very readily when the turbo speed gets up to 100,000 rpm.

Furthermore, the turbine and compressor wheels are most certainly assembled onto the shaft with a pretty substantial interference fit, which means you will have to use heat and a press and tooling to disassemble and reassemble without damage to the parts.

If you do decide to go through with it, have a backup plan (identifying a local turbine repair shop, for instance) and have the balance checked after reassembly.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:09 AM

Damn, than this might be out of the question to do myself then if the turbine and compressor wheels have to be clocked in exact positions.

I may send it back to turbonetics and get the AR changed and get them to clean it up as well.

Dixit