Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Do you need larger injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Originally Posted by LatinMax
I was fine on the previous engine...before FI.

Then I blew the motor, due to running to lean with the SC.

Now with a new motor I flood when I start it.

Here is the way it goes:
I get in the car crank it and 30% of the time the car starts like normal.
30% of the time it starts after I crank it for 10 seconds or so. Sometime a second time for 10 seconds or so.
Last 40% of the time I crank twice or more and it won't start. Sometimes I smell fuel in the car (it floods that bad)

I get out of the car get down on my hands and knees pull the fuel pump fuse & hold it near the fuse box. Reach over with my right hand crank the car (once if I haven't really flooded the car. Lots of cranks if I did)
When the car finally starts I have lile a few seconds to stick the fuse back in and the car runs fine and on my way (What a pain in the a$$ to do that all the time)

Why would it happen now and not before? I know that it is probably the Walbro 255, but don't really want to replace it just to rull that out (but might have to) And I have a ajustable FP regulator, but it is setup for steel braided lines with the FMU and I really don't want to buy the nipples for rubber hoses for just a day or two.

OK OK long enought...Sorry.
Another GUESS.

I believe, haven't tried, that you can force the fuel pressure to go from idle pressure, 34psi, to WOT pressure, 43psi, by pinching off a vacuum line to the FPR. Maybe this is hooked up incorrectly or backwards and with the Walbro you're running way too much idle fuel pressure, say 50+psi.

Again, just a guess.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

OK check this out. Today in Dallas it was about 75-79 degrees outside and 67 tonight and I have not had any problems with flooding.
What's up with that?
Old 09-11-2003, 10:16 PM

if i remember correctly a lot of engines will send more fuel through the engine to cool it down it it is hot and vice versa.
Old 09-12-2003, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by LatinMax
OK check this out. Today in Dallas it was about 75-79 degrees outside and 67 tonight and I have not had any problems with flooding.
What's up with that?
Gabe, you are as boggled as I am, I tried to think of every scenario. Something dont seem right, I guess we need to find out from a FP gauge what the deal is. I guess we gotta get that FP gauge hooked up so we can see where that is sitting.. And maybe see if we can figure out from there if anything is fishy.

Dixit
Old 09-12-2003, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by BigDogJonx
Gabe, you are as boggled as I am, I tried to think of every scenario. Something dont seem right, I guess we need to find out from a FP gauge what the deal is. I guess we gotta get that FP gauge hooked up so we can see where that is sitting.. And maybe see if we can figure out from there if anything is fishy.

Dixit

do you have a fuel pressure gauge? I have one and will will instruct you how to plug it up and go out and run and come back your done or what ever means necessary to swap out fmu disks etc..its a mechanical and will give you correct readings. Baggs used it and thats how he got a base idea of how much fuel pressure he needed. Took him like 5 mins or less to hook it up.

Jaime
Old 09-12-2003, 07:46 PM

Jaime, he has a fuel pressure guage, has a greddy one that is inside his cockpit. Not sure if he has it hooked up, he removed it when he had the engine replaced, I know he mentioned earlier that he hadnt hooked it up yet.

Dixit
Old 09-12-2003, 07:52 PM

Jaime, he has a fuel pressure guage, has a greddy one that is inside his cockpit. Not sure if he has it hooked up, he removed it when he had the engine replaced, I know he mentioned earlier that he hadnt hooked it up yet.

Dixit

I was referring to you since you were local if you needed to check your FP?
Old 09-12-2003, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by JAY25
I was referring to you since you were local if you needed to check your FP?
Okay, but im not the one having the problem, Gabe is. Thats why I said im boggled on his issue of it flooding?

Hahah, maybe we lost each other in those posts, but remember my crapper has been down for 4weeks now in my garage, i cant even start the sucker cause the oil lines for the turbo are still open not to mention missing exhaust header and Ypipe and everything. I got a FP gauge but Gabe's the one with the problem, sorry. Plus I got a Cartech FMU, no disc changing worries.

Dixit
Old 09-12-2003, 09:17 PM

OK, I have a FP guage but have not hooked up since I got the new engine put in. And it is electronic. I will put it in maybe this coming weekend, since the weekends get busy for me my real estate group and family stuff. (can you imagine that people want to look at houses on the weekends lol)
I will hook up the FP guage and see what it does at idle.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:21 PM

Yea can you believe the nerve of people to want to look on weekends? haha, good deal as long as business is doing well.

Dixit
Old 09-12-2003, 09:27 PM

Ya..as soon as interest rates went up about 4-5 weeks ago the flood gates opened.
And people thought the interest rates were going to go down lower. hahahahahahahahahahaha

Hell even though they have gone up they are much lower than they were just 4 years ago. Go figure.

on another note my car scared me today. In my driveway the car is rattling like iv I am running on 3-4 cyl (like I don't know what that sound like) I pop the hood and the radiader support is viabrating like crazy. I am thing oh $hit not again. But no it looks like one of my radiader fans is out of balace or something. Know I have something else to figure out.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:35 PM

That must have scared the hell out of you.

Damn about the interest rates, im on an ARM right now and looks like my payment is on the rise, but the good thing is that it is directly corelated with the Libor index which is conservative.

But getting back to the FP issue, you know the other thing I was thinking about is if you had an OBDII scanner or something we could check to see if the injectors are going 100% during start or before start, that might show a problem like if there was an ECU issue or something. Cause I honestly dont see the walbro causing that big of an issue. Since alot of people are using it without FPRs besides the OEM.

Dixit
Old 09-12-2003, 09:40 PM

Ya I know I had the Walbro in the car for about 3 months or so before I ever got around to installed the SC and had no problems then. Of course that WAS a different engine.
Old 09-15-2003, 11:59 AM
Redlinemax Owner

but the problem is that on the 4th gen the greddy e-manage will only handle 370 injectors you cAnnot go to 555. which sux. what can you do to be able to use 555
Old 09-15-2003, 12:02 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

rumor on the Emanage mailing list is that there are settings to go up to 150% increase in CC range, but I'm not sure, might only be a rumor
Old 09-15-2003, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Redmax
but the problem is that on the 4th gen the greddy e-manage will only handle 370 injectors you cAnnot go to 555. which sux. what can you do to be able to use 555

Oooh...where did you hear that or has someone tried it?
Old 09-15-2003, 12:47 PM
Redlinemax Owner

mardigras told me on 50% i guess i have to do more research
Old 09-15-2003, 02:02 PM

Then the best option is to use the JWT ecu and get them to program it to what your needs are.

Dixit
Old 09-15-2003, 03:55 PM

Then the best option is to use the JWT ecu and get them to program it to what your needs are.

Dixit

He can't, since he's got a '99. He's up sheit creek like the rest of us.

Redmax,

GReddy got 440cc injectors to work on the 350Z with eManage and if your car has a similar ECU/injectors to the early 5th gens., you *MAY* luck out also.

I still haven't got a picture of my friends 350Z injector, almost got one Saturday, however it was too friggen hot and I ran out of time once the car cooled down.