Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Do you need larger injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 08:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Do you need larger injectors?

5th gen Max with 2.875" pulley.

Would you need larger injectors?

If so What do you need?

And where do you get them?
Old 09-06-2003, 09:41 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

Originally Posted by LatinMax

If so What do you need?

Gabe, assuming you're not bleeding any of that boost off on the v2..... yes you do need larger injectors or you'll be running a ridiculous fuel press.

You need to get the 370cc from a 95-96 300zx or the 555cc Nismo injectors - both can be found @ courtesy. it's 90 a pop for the 370's and bout 280 for the 555's.... it's much easier to tune the 370's than the 555's for sure. Also, I believe you do need to pickup new o rings along with them.
Old 09-06-2003, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by seximagtr
it's 90 a pop for the 370's and bout 280 for the 555's.... it's much easier to tune the 370's than the 555's for sure. Also, I believe you do need to pickup new o rings along with them.

fyi, courtesy is not the best place to get nismo parts. and yes, you need 12 new o-rings - assuming 6 injectors, unless you are special and have more or less
Old 09-06-2003, 10:55 PM

Wait wait wait, we're missing one key thing here that Alex has been discussing on this forum for a couple weeks now.

Gabe has a 5th gen as I do and the Z TT injectors wont fit since Kev already tried this, he even got some from RC Engineering and those didnt fit. Alex has been researching this. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=243012 This thread shows all the discussion on this.

Right now no one has tested or been the first one to try anything on upgrading the injectors as of yet.

Dixit
Old 09-07-2003, 12:22 AM

If so What do you need?

sx7r & BigDogJonx: Do you think that I will need larger injectors for the setup that I plan to do?
Old 09-07-2003, 08:02 AM

sx7r & BigDogJonx: Do you think that I will need larger injectors for the setup that I plan to do?
it's not absolutely necessary, but with bigger injectors you'd be able to run a lower fuel pressure and not be at 100% duty cycle all the time.
Old 09-07-2003, 02:55 PM

Well if you were pushing already 100psi on your 3.125" pulley then the 2.87" pulley is going to be well over 100psi and probably close to 115psi and that is damn near lockup. I dont think you want to get to that lockup part and then have another engine that needs to be put in.

Dixit
Old 09-07-2003, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by BigDogJonx
Well if you were pushing already 100psi on your 3.125" pulley then the 2.87" pulley is going to be well over 100psi and probably close to 115psi and that is damn near lockup. I dont think you want to get to that lockup part and then have another engine that needs to be put in.

Dixit
I agree with the new engine thing....that's wht I am asking the question.
Old 09-07-2003, 09:46 PM

Well I look at it this way Gabe, if you put the 2.87 on and you can stay right around 100psi you should be alright, but Im not going to be able to give you a 100% answer on whether or not if that still ends up being lean or not. Worst case you can push it to 110psi, but Stay under that no matter what if you want to be safe. 2.87 is what 12psi right? 12x8=96+17 puts you at 113psi, so you might be alright if you can stay right there.

Dixit
Old 09-08-2003, 12:36 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Some '00-'01 needs to try one of the RC Engineering 350Z injectors to make sure they physically fit. Fuel rail is probably the bish
Old 09-08-2003, 03:05 PM

you want larger injectors, until you find a good solution you need to be shifting before 6100RPMs, thats the only solution I can see for you. The question is how lean are you up top because you guys have a stock MEVI, can a SAFC help you a tad bit? The SCer hits max boost way up top. After many runs I noticed I hit 10PSI right at 6500RPMs your solution would be to shift a bit earlier therefor you dont hit max boost.

Jaime
Old 09-08-2003, 04:51 PM

Im willing to try this out since I have damn near half the crap on the engine apart already. How much does one of those injectors cost?

Damn fuel rail will be a bish since I gotta remove the intake manifold and that aint no fun.

Dixit
Old 09-09-2003, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by JAY25
you want larger injectors, until you find a good solution you need to be shifting before 6100RPMs, thats the only solution I can see for you. The question is how lean are you up top because you guys have a stock MEVI, can a SAFC help you a tad bit? The SCer hits max boost way up top. After many runs I noticed I hit 10PSI right at 6500RPMs your solution would be to shift a bit earlier therefor you dont hit max boost.

Jaime
5th gens have VIAS = Variable Induction Air Control System or VI for short no ME.

I don't think anyone has reached the point of going static on the stock injectors, except maybe LatinMax or others who don't know why their engine blew.

Not having to run 80-110psi fuel pressure and fearing an injector going static are why we all need larger injectors.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:37 AM

Im willing to try this out since I have damn near half the crap on the engine apart already. How much does one of those injectors cost?

Damn fuel rail will be a bish since I gotta remove the intake manifold and that aint no fun.

Dixit
I'm not sure, but they aren't going to be cheap. I'd guess $100 per injector minimum.

I'd only buy one to test out or try asking RC Engineering if they will let you return one if it doesn't fit. Maybe Kev will and some others will chip in $$$.

Also, ask if they have 3XXcc versions of the 350Z VQ35 injectors. 440cc injectors will require the E-manage, which is expensive.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
I'm not sure, but they aren't going to be cheap. I'd guess $100 per injector minimum.

I'd only buy one to test out or try asking RC Engineering if they will let you return one if it doesn't fit. Maybe Kev will and some others will chip in $$$.

Also, ask if they have 3XXcc versions of the 350Z VQ35 injectors. 440cc injectors will require the E-manage, which is expensive.
True, but I was planning on getting the Emanage and getting rid of the SAFC so I can use that to datalog and fine tune things. It seems that the eManage it the way to go nowadays with boost. So many thing you can do with it with this one box. Except ***** charge for a plug to be hooked upto it to use that feature.

Dixit
Old 09-09-2003, 03:44 PM

Dixit

SATURATED INJECTORS

HIGH RESISTANCE Approx. 12 - 16 OHMS (MEASURED AT 43 P.S.I.G.)

160cc / min
$76.50

195 cc / min
$79.90

205 cc / min
$79.90

210 cc / min
$79.90

225 cc / min
$81.50

240 cc / min
$81.50

270 cc / min
$83.75

310 cc / min
$85.65

370 cc / min
$88.30

440 cc / min
$89.75

500 cc / min
Ford/Chevrolet Only
$135.00

Most all Gally or Side feed injectors can be modified up to rates of 100% + for $175.00 each.
I doubt these prices include 350Z injectors, but maybe.

Link~~~>http://www.rceng.com/prices.htm
Old 09-09-2003, 05:53 PM

I was planning on getting the Emanage and getting rid of the SAFC so I can use that to datalog and fine tune things. It seems that the eManage it the way to go nowadays with boost. So many thing you can do with it with this one box. Except ***** charge for a plug to be hooked upto it to use that feature.

Dixit

Looks like you can get the eManage for $284.25 and the eManage "Support Tool" for $110.

http://www.gruppe-s.com/Greddy/greddyelec.htm

e-Manage is an inexpensive programmable fuel management system that allows you to properly tune your factory fuel and ignition system, without having to change the entire factory ECU system to an expensive "stand-alone" unit. Basic functions will allow the user to alter a 16x16 Airflow Adjustmemt Map, 16x16 Ignition Timing Map, Larger Main Injector correction adjustment, Upgrade Air Flow Meter adjustment, Boost Limiter Cut, Anti-engine Stall, VTEC-fuel adjustment, Real-time Map Trace, Real-time Display, Real-time Communication, and basic Data-logging.

However, if you got eManage, you GOT to have the PROFEC E-01, right?

The PRofec e-01 boost controller features EL large screen to check all the information accurately. It has high sensitive pressure sensor measures up to 300 kpa of boost. By inputting individual boost correction on each engine rpm, you can set boost more precisely. By using USB cable (not included in the kit), this boost controller can work with the GReddy e-Manage. Even if you don't have lap-top computer, you can set the data of e-manage and also save it by using the hand-set. MAP-trace-function of e-manage can be played-back from data recorded in the SD card.
Old 09-09-2003, 06:15 PM

I dont think im going to want the ProFec E-01, Id rather get the Blitz SBC dual solenoid unit with the PowerMeter.

What exactly is the support tool? Freagin eManage, $284 for that, then $30 for the injector harness, $32 for ignition timing, and like $130 for the pressure sensor stuff. Crap ends up costing $500 right there for this stuff.

Another $500-600 for the Blitz boost controller, and Im pushing a "g" in just these electronics. Damn these turbos.

Dixit
Old 09-09-2003, 07:09 PM

I dont think im going to want the ProFec E-01, Id rather get the Blitz SBC dual solenoid unit with the PowerMeter.

What exactly is the support tool? Freagin eManage, $284 for that, then $30 for the injector harness, $32 for ignition timing, and like $130 for the pressure sensor stuff. Crap ends up costing $500 right there for this stuff.

Another $500-600 for the Blitz boost controller, and Im pushing a "g" in just these electronics. Damn these turbos.

Dixit
Don't get the SBC, get the i-D like Kev has.

I thought the support tool meant you can program yourself, so you don't need to pay? Maybe not.

Sorry to say, but NO injector or timing harness will be available for us. Old school sodder and heat shrink...
Old 09-09-2003, 07:41 PM

Yea but dont we need to get that injector harness and timing harness so it plugs into the eManage? I thought that was the scam they were pulling where you still would have to buy the plug and then solder the stuff. Sort of like modules but you pay for it.

Yea I mean the same one Kev has that goes along with the Power meter, I dont the exact model but I know what it looks like and how it works, Biltz has too many look a like models that are a step lower. Damn Blitz and this Damn Turbo.

One thing I dont know is how this Timing stuff works, I mean I know the J&S uses sort of a knock sensor and can retard the timing on which cylinder it sensed it on. Very accurate, dont know what the Greddy's eManage does or how it senses it or is it just where I have to enter it in.

Again, got no clue what that Support tool does. I know a IS300 here that has the stuff, need to talk to him a bit more and find out what I really need and how it works.

Dixit
Old 09-09-2003, 08:51 PM
Ramius83

Don't get the SBC, get the i-D like Kev has.

I thought the support tool meant you can program yourself, so you don't need to pay? Maybe not.

Sorry to say, but NO injector or timing harness will be available for us. Old school sodder and heat shrink...
The Bltiz SBC-ID Version 1/2/3 are all the same versions, just different colored casings and different back-lighting. They are all the same ones that Kevin has and that I have. You are probably thinking about the other one that is VERY flat and rectangular and has a little screen with a dial on each side. Although that one is still cheaper and does not have as many functions, it is still a dual solenoid design, which is basically a requirement for advanced boost control.....

Old 09-09-2003, 09:00 PM

Alex forgot to show you this. Well not like you need to see it since you have a 5th gen. I guess other people can look at it to see how our Injectors are different.

http://bigdogjonx.com:81/fullpics/turbo/injectors/

Dixit
Old 09-09-2003, 10:52 PM

ok, lets clear up a few questions on the eManage.

You do not have to use the profec e-01 with the eManage, although it does work quite well with it. You can fully program the eManage with the e-01; it's just easier on a notebook because of a bigger screen. If you have a profec e-01, then you don't need to buy the optional pressure sensor for the eManage, as it would just read pressure off the profec. This is used when you reach the limitations of the stock MAF and you would like to alter the airflow map using pressure(speed density).

the support tool consists of a CD with the software and a special cable(it's not a regular USB to serial cable) to connect the eManage to your laptop . The eManage by itself is basically the same thing as an Apexi 1st gen AFC. The support tool or profec e-01 gives you access to alter 16x16 airflow, fuel injector, ignition maps. The main difference between using the support tool and the profec-01 is that the support tool allows you to log everything at one time. "Everything" meaning everything that the eManage is able to read such as Air Flow Input, Output, Injector Duty Cycle and Duration(with injector harness), Ignition Timing(with ignition harness), Boost, RPM, Throttle Position, etc. Once you log it, you can save as a file and export to excel - works great. the profec e-01 is only able to log 3 sets of data at once and you can't export it - at least no one has figured out how to yet.

The harnesses aren't really "modules", but wires that you solder to your existing ECU harness.

The injector harness is basically 9 wires that you splice into your ECU harness and they connect to the main eManage harness. This allows you to alter your injector duty cycle on a 16x16 map, provided you have the support tool or a profec e-01.

The ignition harness consists of 12 wires that you wire into your ECU harness, and they connect to the eManage on a separate plug. Basically it intercepts the 6 signals the ECU sends to the 6 coils, alters the signal as necessary, and then outputs to the coils. I haven't tried altering my ignition timing yet, so I'm not sure how well this works.

hopes this helps a bit.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:25 AM

Got it. Now how quickly does the eManage support log the data when you said it can log everything? As in how many times per second? Reason I ask is because I have a harrison obdII and thought that would work but it only logs like once every 2-3secs and that is basically worthless when trying to fine tune.

I didnt really mean modules but in the sense where they are because you need to buy that plug to activate that part of the eManage. Im sure the plug connector is custom in that I cant just buy a general plug and use that part of the eManage. Thats how they kind of scam you into getting the plug.

Dixit
Old 09-10-2003, 06:52 AM

Got it. Now how quickly does the eManage support log the data when you said it can log everything? As in how many times per second? Reason I ask is because I have a harrison obdII and thought that would work but it only logs like once every 2-3secs and that is basically worthless when trying to fine tune.

I didnt really mean modules but in the sense where they are because you need to buy that plug to activate that part of the eManage. Im sure the plug connector is custom in that I cant just buy a general plug and use that part of the eManage. Thats how they kind of scam you into getting the plug.

Dixit
10 samples/sec
Old 09-10-2003, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Ramius83
The Bltiz SBC-ID Version 1/2/3 are all the same versions, just different colored casings and different back-lighting. They are all the same ones that Kevin has and that I have. You are probably thinking about the other one that is VERY flat and rectangular and has a little screen with a dial on each side. Although that one is still cheaper and does not have as many functions, it is still a dual solenoid design, which is basically a requirement for advanced boost control.....
Yeah, I meant DSBC.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by sx7r
ok, lets clear up a few questions on the eManage.

You do not have to use the profec e-01 with the eManage, although it does work quite well with it. You can fully program the eManage with the e-01; it's just easier on a notebook because of a bigger screen. If you have a profec e-01, then you don't need to buy the optional pressure sensor for the eManage, as it would just read pressure off the profec. This is used when you reach the limitations of the stock MAF and you would like to alter the airflow map using pressure(speed density).

the support tool consists of a CD with the software and a special cable(it's not a regular USB to serial cable) to connect the eManage to your laptop . The eManage by itself is basically the same thing as an Apexi 1st gen AFC. The support tool or profec e-01 gives you access to alter 16x16 airflow, fuel injector, ignition maps. The main difference between using the support tool and the profec-01 is that the support tool allows you to log everything at one time. "Everything" meaning everything that the eManage is able to read such as Air Flow Input, Output, Injector Duty Cycle and Duration(with injector harness), Ignition Timing(with ignition harness), Boost, RPM, Throttle Position, etc. Once you log it, you can save as a file and export to excel - works great. the profec e-01 is only able to log 3 sets of data at once and you can't export it - at least no one has figured out how to yet.

The harnesses aren't really "modules", but wires that you solder to your existing ECU harness.

The injector harness is basically 9 wires that you splice into your ECU harness and they connect to the main eManage harness. This allows you to alter your injector duty cycle on a 16x16 map, provided you have the support tool or a profec e-01.

The ignition harness consists of 12 wires that you wire into your ECU harness, and they connect to the eManage on a separate plug. Basically it intercepts the 6 signals the ECU sends to the 6 coils, alters the signal as necessary, and then outputs to the coils. I haven't tried altering my ignition timing yet, so I'm not sure how well this works.

hopes this helps a bit.
Yeah, I know you don't "need" the Profec e01, but if I had the eManage, IMO I'd HAVE to buy it. It's just too cool and I'm done with lugging around my laptop.

Has anyone figured out how to get the eManage timing control to work on a VQ? Supposedly, they tried to get it to work in T&HTP on their 350Z, but couldn't.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:52 PM

This info is great! but.....know I am confussed as to what I need know. larger injectors? eManage? A BIG Hammer?
Old 09-10-2003, 01:10 PM

Well Gabe, if we can find larger injectors like 440 or 550cc ones, then we will definetely need the eManage. Until then, we stuck right here pushing lockup levels on the current injectors.

Dixit
Old 09-10-2003, 01:23 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally Posted by sx7r
10 samples/sec
Oooooooo..... so you're currently using eManage? What exactly did you use (harnesses) and what not. Is the installation straightforward? Meaning, if I knew the ECU wires then I would have no problems installing it? Thanks.

Did GReddy allow users to edit the tables? I remember they restricted access to authorized GReddy dealers when I was doing research on ECU/piggybacks.
Old 09-10-2003, 02:11 PM

This info is great! but.....know I am confussed as to what I need know. larger injectors? eManage? A BIG Hammer?
IF RC Engineering makes 340cc-370cc 350Z injectors, you could *TRY* what Mardi did, which was reduce base idle fuel pressure for a tolerable idle. However, if you go 400+cc injectors, you'll need some kind of "black box" to control them at idle and startup.

I'm estimating that the 340cc-370cc injectors would be "adequate" up to 10psi, but if you have more then that in mind, you'd better figure out something in the 4XX+cc range.

You can roughly squeeze 40% more cc's through any injector by increasing the fuel pressure, however you're risking lockup and *KABOOM*. With properly sized injectors and an ECU to handle startup and idle, you can run stock or slightly raised fuel pressure. If you are hitting 80psi fuel pressure, IMO you're pushing your luck.
Old 09-10-2003, 02:32 PM

have you guys seen these? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33554

what do you think of those?
Old 09-10-2003, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by mtcookson
have you guys seen these? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33554

what do you think of those?
Side feed? Look like top feed.

Supposedly, the SR20, VQ30DE-K, and 350Z VQ35 all use the same injectors. Maybe the non-turbo VG30 should be added.

Does the 4th gen Maxima use turbo or non-turbo injectors?
Old 09-10-2003, 03:27 PM

IF RC Engineering makes 340cc-370cc 350Z injectors, you could *TRY* what Mardi did, which was reduce base idle fuel pressure for a tolerable idle. However, if you go 400+cc injectors, you'll need some kind of "black box" to control them at idle and startup.

I'm estimating that the 340cc-370cc injectors would be "adequate" up to 10psi, but if you have more then that in mind, you'd better figure out something in the 4XX+cc range.

You can roughly squeeze 40% more cc's through any injector by increasing the fuel pressure, however you're risking lockup and *KABOOM*. With properly sized injectors and an ECU to handle startup and idle, you can run stock or slightly raised fuel pressure. If you are hitting 80psi fuel pressure, IMO you're pushing your luck.
Would that explain why my car floods most of the time when I crank it know. (without the SC installed, just the Walbro & a factory engine)
Old 09-10-2003, 03:36 PM

Would that explain why my car floods most of the time when I crank it know. (without the SC installed, just the Walbro & a factory engine)
Yes, IF the Walbro is the 255lph unit, you're running high base fuel pressure.

When you go to start the car, the ECU goes into open-loop, which lengthens pulse width and with the extra fuel pressure, you get too much fuel.

Just get an adjustable FPR while NA or once you go FI again, get a Cartech or Super FMU. They can adjust down the base fuel pressure.
Old 09-10-2003, 03:49 PM

Well there might be other problems on why you are flooding the engine, cause me and a few other 5th gens have the high pressure 255lph pump and no issues during startup. I never had it flood and consistently push it to 80-100psi of fuel pressure so I know the pump is pushing.

Dixit
Old 09-10-2003, 04:24 PM

Well there might be other problems on why you are flooding the engine, cause me and a few other 5th gens have the high pressure 255lph pump and no issues during startup. I never had it flood and consistently push it to 80-100psi of fuel pressure so I know the pump is pushing.

Dixit
True...I guess my response sounded like a 100% culprit, when it's only one possiblity.

However, it can happen. I know at least one 4th gen who had to replace 02s and put in new plugs, but he was also running super rich from too agressive of a FMU disk.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:05 PM

since this is an injector thread i'll ask this here. what injectors would equal 555cc in pounds?
Old 09-10-2003, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by mtcookson
since this is an injector thread i'll ask this here. what injectors would equal 555cc in pounds?
Divide by 10.5.

http://www.rceng.com/technical.htm
Old 09-10-2003, 07:55 PM

Dixit
I was fine on the previous engine...before FI.

Then I blew the motor, due to running to lean with the SC.

Now with a new motor I flood when I start it.

Here is the way it goes:
I get in the car crank it and 30% of the time the car starts like normal.
30% of the time it starts after I crank it for 10 seconds or so. Sometime a second time for 10 seconds or so.
Last 40% of the time I crank twice or more and it won't start. Sometimes I smell fuel in the car (it floods that bad)

I get out of the car get down on my hands and knees pull the fuel pump fuse & hold it near the fuse box. Reach over with my right hand crank the car (once if I haven't really flooded the car. Lots of cranks if I did)
When the car finally starts I have lile a few seconds to stick the fuse back in and the car runs fine and on my way (What a pain in the a$$ to do that all the time)

Why would it happen now and not before? I know that it is probably the Walbro 255, but don't really want to replace it just to rull that out (but might have to) And I have a ajustable FP regulator, but it is setup for steel braided lines with the FMU and I really don't want to buy the nipples for rubber hoses for just a day or two.

OK OK long enought...Sorry.

Quick Reply: Do you need larger injectors?