Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Faults with the Stillen kit!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 07:27 AM

Faults with the Stillen kit!!

I have had my supercharger on since thursday, and have found some faults with the stillen kit. first off I don't think 9 psi non intercooled would be wise, the intake temp is already plenty hot with the 3.6 pulley. second the pulleys that it comes with suck, already ordered the asp units. third I've already toasted the factory pump, granted it had 137000 miles on it (500 miles). O.k but..... I replaced it with another new factory unit sunday, same day I blew up the other one, it worked fine until I satyed in boost for a while. My conclusion is this: first to run higher than 6 pounds boost safely you need to intercool it, second buy the asp units for reliability, third get rid of the crappy factory pump and the auxilary pump, the auxilary is o.k. but the factory pump can't supply the quantity it overheats it then it can barely keep up on the street with no boost. I'm getting rid of boost pump and the factory unit with a 255 walbro. Please don't take this the wrong way your comments are appreciated, but my driving style, and my experience is that the stock fuel system can't keep up and the stillen kit has some flaws that are easily fixed, Although everyone so far here has said 9psi is fine, I can't disagree more, until the car is intercooled I won't be turning the boost up, atleast for me, I don't feel it is in the cars best interest. Thanx and I hope this gives some people that are new to the stillen kit something to think about. by the way I already know you guys are gonna give me a ton of flak abou this!
Old 09-08-2003, 07:45 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

when you measured the intake temperature...you didn't just "touch/feel" that it was hotter than normal? intercooling isn't even necessary on most cars until 8 psi if your fuel setup is sufficient...that might be where your prob lies. are you detonating?
Old 09-08-2003, 07:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It's better to be safe than sorry. That being said, quite a few people here (including myself) have run 9 psi non-intercooled without problems. I have to admit I don't boost to redline when the weather is really hot, though.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

do you have a CAI? did you wrap the cross over pipes to at least keep the heat off the pipes? what type of exhaust do you have? did you change your complete exhaust system? trapping the air will make your EGT read higher temperatures, all this air coming in has to exit very fast out? did you change your Y pipe? did you check it to see if the flex has collapsed? did you install 1 step colder plugs? you must do all of the above seriously, passing this info to you. I did all the above because my EGTs were above 800Cel and I had problems and fixed them.

My EGTs dropped by free flowing the exhaust they also dropped when I tuned the car with a SAFC? bolting up the supercharger and jumping into the car and out you go is not the way to go.

Plain and simple seek and improve the situation and youll be a very happy Supercharger owner.

I boost 10PSI and I have no problems after you work out your problems believe me youll be up here at 10PSI right along with me or even pushing 10PLUS.