Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Turbo for a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 11:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Turbo for a daily driver?

First question is will a turbo be quieter than a SC?

Second can a turbo be reliable enough to drive daily?

I drive 30k miles a year and want to know if a turbo would be a liabilty or to loud (I haul clients around).

BTW, I would run the quietest exhaust available even if sacrificing HP.

Mark
Old 09-10-2003, 11:34 AM
I'm needing a caw

You can make it quiet. Turbos actually help muffle the sound. But if you opt for 3" pipe and a really free flowing muffler, it might get loud.
The V1 Vortech is annoyingly loud.

I had a very simple turbo setup on my VE for a short time. I ran it though a 2.25"-2.5" catback w/ a 2000 maxima muffler. It was VERY quiet. But probably at the expense of some hp. But it was really low boost anyway(4-5psi)
Old 09-10-2003, 11:49 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

If it weren't for the BOV, I doubt that you could tell my car had the supercharger in it. I would imagine the same would go with a turbo setup.

I would think using a recirc valve would make it almost slient.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by ejj
If it weren't for the BOV, I doubt that you could tell my car had the supercharger in it. I would imagine the same would go with a turbo setup.

I would think using a recirc valve would make it almost slient.

Is the V2 that quiet?

Also which will be reliable turbo or SC?
Old 09-10-2003, 11:58 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Originally Posted by Maximam
Is the V2 that quiet?

The V2 is very quiet in comparison to the V1. Since my bearing rebuild last November my blower emits a very subtle jet engine whine.

Reliability is based on how you treat your car. My bearings went because I overtightened my belt during the winter while trying to solve belt squeal.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:02 PM
ejj

Originally Posted by Maximam
Is the V2 that quiet?
It wouldn't sound "out of place". Just a slightly louder engine. Its a lot quiter than my car was with a cone filter on it!

Both can be great, and both can be bad. Which is more reliable is an issue of much debate. A turbo won't leave you stranded, but could spike and blow stuff up. SC could shread a belt and leave you stranded, but your upper boost limit is mechanically limited.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:17 PM

Forgive my ignorance but is either of these going to get me to pass a smog?
Old 09-10-2003, 12:21 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Neither will pass smog on a 1999+.

SC will pass smog on 95-98.
Old 09-10-2003, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Y2KevSE

Damn! That won't work for me then. I SCed a Escalade and smog is no problem with the Procharger kit.

So no smog legal FI for 2000+ Maximas?
Old 09-10-2003, 07:56 PM

couldnt you just bypass the sc for the smog
Old 09-10-2003, 08:50 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by subs1000w
couldnt you just bypass the sc for the smog
Bypass? What would you use for that mechanical feat of excellence?
Old 09-11-2003, 12:48 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally Posted by Quicksilver

Take it off.
Old 09-11-2003, 01:56 AM
Jer

I passed... just barely on the rolling test.. but I passed... I guess it depends on where you are (I'd imagine Cali smog is what Y2KevSE was referring to, and maybe other more stringent states).

Anyone here care to compare emmissions test #'s? I'll try and dig up my sheet.
Old 09-11-2003, 02:13 AM

No smog here!.... and come December no emissions either .... yay!

Old 09-11-2003, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by turbo97SE
No smog here!.... and come December no emissions either .... yay!

Ya I know! I lived in Colorado for a couple years, was nice to build up a K5 Blazer with no smog test.

The question is would it be to much work to remove the sc to smog once a year?
Old 09-11-2003, 08:26 AM

All you have to do is take the supercharger belt off the crank and accessory pullies and pull it up and out of the way. Then put your oem belt on. The intake will pull air through the now non-functioning supercharger.

And I don't understand why people talk about being "stranded" if a SC belt breaks. All you have to do is carry along a blade for cutting off the remnants of the belt, a 14mm wrench and a 14mm socket with extension and a ratchet. And a spare oem belt. Putting on the oem belt by the side of the road is not really any more difficult than changing a tire.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:33 AM
ejj

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
All you have to do is take the supercharger belt off the crank and accessory pullies and pull it up and out of the way. Then put your oem belt on. The intake will pull air through the now non-functioning supercharger.

And I don't understand why people talk about being "stranded" if a SC belt breaks. All you have to do is carry along a blade for cutting off the remnants of the belt, a 14mm wrench and a 14mm socket with extension and a ratchet. And a spare oem belt. Putting on the oem belt by the side of the road is not really any more difficult than changing a tire.

I've got 1 in my trunk all the time, but I figure most people aren't into dealing with that kind of thing on the side of the road, and would prefer to be towed.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by ejj

I've got 1 in my trunk all the time, but I figure most people aren't into dealing with that kind of thing on the side of the road, and would prefer to be towed.
Maybe it's just me, but if you are wanting to be in the World o' Boost, then shouldn't you also be willing and prepared to do stuff like this? It's part of "pay to play" as far as I'm concerned. I could say more, but I don't want to step on any toes.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:07 AM
ejj

Maybe it's just me, but if you are wanting to be in the World o' Boost, then shouldn't you also be willing and prepared to do stuff like this? It's part of "pay to play" as far as I'm concerned. I could say more, but I don't want to step on any toes.
I think you know I couldn't agree more, but everybody is different.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:06 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Correct me if I'm wrong but for the majority of the time that the belt shreds it only loses one rib. You'll still be able to get home on 5 ribs and make the fix.
Old 09-11-2003, 11:47 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Take it off.
Well that would work...but that takes all the fun out of it
Old 09-11-2003, 01:13 PM

That's weird, each time I broke a belt, the entire belt shredded and then snapped at one time. It didn't just lose a rib. This happened 3 times, and each time the belt shredded a little then snapped within seconds.

Originally Posted by BlackCat
Correct me if I'm wrong but for the majority of the
time that the belt shreds it only loses one rib. You'll still be able to get home on 5 ribs and make the fix.
Old 09-11-2003, 01:24 PM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Originally Posted by Shadow
That's weird, each time I broke a belt, the entire belt shredded and then snapped at one time. It didn't just lose a rib. This happened 3 times, and each time the belt shredded a little then snapped within seconds.
Hmmm...looks like my belt experiences are much different from yours, Shadow. My last two belts lost a rib and the first time around I was able to drive around like that for a few days until I had the time to tear it down. I could have done the same with the second belt but I'm sure I could have snapped it if I boosted hard.
Old 09-11-2003, 01:40 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

So you're saying that an emmisions place will pass you if you don't have the belt on your S/C when you go to get the test done...but still have the S/C in the engine bay? I don't think so...

If you are that concerned with passing the smog/safety check, then remove the darn thing...
Old 09-11-2003, 01:42 PM

That is strange. The first time mine failed was during the install at the shop. They cranked the car up, belt jumped 2 ribs immediately and snapped. They shimmed everything after a call to Stillen and then 4 months later, the belt snapped again. This time I was still in my parking lot at 5 mph. Belt was fine the night before during inspection, I was on my way out of town so I had just checked everything over. 3rd and final time was when I was slowing down to turn into my parent's business. Heard a wierd sound, smelled burning rubber and about 5 seconds later heard a pop and thump. Knew immediately what it was and my battery light came on of course. So each time this happened, it was sudden. I did see another SC max owner in ATlanta drive around with only 5 ribs on the belt for quite some time. So i have no idea why my belts were doing that. I used the same Gates belts as most other SC owners, and my kit was examined many times and found to be in good shape.

Originally Posted by BlackCat
Hmmm...looks like my belt experiences are much different from yours, Shadow. My last two belts lost a rib and the first time around I was able to drive around like that for a few days until I had the time to tear it down. I could have done the same with the second belt but I'm sure I could have snapped it if I boosted hard.
Old 09-12-2003, 05:10 AM
ejj

So you're saying that an emmisions place will pass you if you don't have the belt on your S/C when you go to get the test done...but still have the S/C in the engine bay? I don't think so...

If you are that concerned with passing the smog/safety check, then remove the darn thing...
Why not? Tell them its cosmetic!
Old 09-12-2003, 06:15 AM

I guess it depends on the state you're in. I'm under the impression that the Stillen kit (at least the V1 kit) is CARB approved, so it should pass inspection, even with the belt on.

That would be a good time for the annual belt change.
Old 09-13-2003, 11:05 AM

So anyone know if I would have a problem with the V2 system (smog) on a 2001 Max in Nevada?
Old 09-18-2003, 12:28 AM

who are your clients?

in a modded max you take clients around???