Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Thinking of going 3.125"

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 10:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

here is the site I got my guages from...top quality and lowest prices around.
http://www.gruppe-s.com/Electronics/meterpage.htm
Old 09-29-2003, 10:06 PM

problem is i already ordered my ultralite boost gauge, i think i am just gonna get the EGT/Boost/AF combo and do FP some other time, i should be fine with the walbro though don't you think?
Old 09-29-2003, 10:11 PM

I haven't had any problems but there have been a bunch of peeps here on the org that have had there Walbro die or not quite reach proper FP.

I had a fuel line get loose once and if it were not for the FP gauge I would have run out of FP & gone boooom!!!!!

It is up to you. What you have is good, alot of peeps have gotten away with just that. But for me a blown motor or a FP gauge....the gauge is much more cheaper.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:20 PM

yea im sure i'll replace the A/F with a FP gauge but not for a little while, i am not going to be running my car that hard anyways because i will have a new clutch to break in. Any idea where i can get those plugs online for cheap?
Old 09-29-2003, 10:23 PM

I did Auto Zone or NAPA in copper for like $1-2 a piece.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:42 PM

nice, well i just bought the FP and EGT, you convinced me that i rather not blow my motor, i am just gonna hold off on getting the s-afc until i can afford dyno tuning as well
Old 09-30-2003, 07:47 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Craig Mack
7psi!? Holy cow! V2 right?? You should be seeing 8-9psi. With a 3.125", you *should* see 11psi.
As much as it pains me to do so, I agree with Craigy. I get _almost_ 10psi with the 3.33" pully and a SCCAI.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:09 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

I'm still using the drum air filter so I must be losing a few there as well?
Old 09-30-2003, 08:12 AM
ejj

Originally Posted by BlackCat
I'm still using the drum air filter so I must be losing a few there as well?
Could be. I gained 1-1.5 psi with the CAI.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:40 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

I've got a small crack on the MAF where the collection pipe meets the MAF. Its between the two upper bolts. The rubber O-ring is still good. I guess I should try the smoke test all around.
I looked for that copper tubing last night but the auto parts place didn't have any.
Old 09-30-2003, 01:07 PM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Just called up Vortech and ordered the 3.125" pulley and 8:1 Recalibration kit. I'll put them on the next time the belt shreds.
Old 09-30-2003, 01:13 PM
ejj

Originally Posted by BlackCat
Just called up Vortech and ordered the 3.125" pulley and 8:1 Recalibration kit.
Nice! I was going to order my 3.125" today, but forgot my wallet in the car!

I'll put them on the next time the belt shreds.
Old 09-30-2003, 01:26 PM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Originally Posted by ejj
Nice! I was going to order my 3.125" today, but forgot my wallet in the car!

Well, go get it and place that order!

The exchange rate is better today and so I made the move!
Old 09-30-2003, 02:43 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

I am running the 3.125" w/SC CAI on my V1 and only see an average of 9.5lbs. of boost. Pathetic huh?

I would also like to add that Ejj will be at the local Veterans Bingo Hall tonight, with his fellow senior citizens, playing for discounts on dentures/diapers. I will be down there hosting the event, as I need the service hours. And no, Ejj, I will not change your diapers! So please don't ask again!
Old 09-30-2003, 02:46 PM

I am running the 3.125" w/SC CAI on my V1 and only see an average of 9.5lbs. of boost. Pathetic huh?

I would also like to add that Ejj will be at the local Veterans Bingo Hall tonight, with his fellow senior citizens, playing for discounts on dentures/diapers. I will be down there hosting the event, as I need the service hours. And no, Ejj, I will not change your diapers! So please don't ask again!

At least you aren't running on that same setup and seeing an average of 6.5 like I am.
Old 09-30-2003, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by iansw
At least you aren't running on that same setup and seeing an average of 6.5 like I am.
I thought you saw 9.5psi too?! Your blower has to be worn to hell...
Old 09-30-2003, 05:12 PM

preasure leak!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-30-2003, 06:10 PM

New belt, SMOKE-IT test done on vacuum system - new MAF Gasket, new rubber elbow, new silicon connectors.....new BOV and Flange...20Hg vacuum - still - 6-7PSI always.

According to Vortech, blowers don't wear like that - they either put out the right amount of boost or they don't work at all.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:49 PM

New belt, SMOKE-IT test done on vacuum system - new MAF Gasket, new rubber elbow, new silicon connectors.....new BOV and Flange...20Hg vacuum - still - 6-7PSI always.

According to Vortech, blowers don't wear like that - they either put out the right amount of boost or they don't work at all.
First try checking your SC piping for leaks, not vacuum leaks.
Second, test that your gauge reads correctly with a vacuum pump.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:58 PM

Done and Done.....several times.

Used 4 or 5 different diagnostic gauges, on my 3rd in-cabin gauge. All read 15 vacuum until I figured out one leak....now reads 19-22 vacuum, depending on the gauge. Tested the boost on a diagnostics gauge out through the window and down through the hood on the freeway - 7 PSI, 21 vacuum at idle.

Removed/reinstalled the piping, plugged the ambient sensor hole, checked the BOV for leaks (and replaced it), and put gasket seal on the MAF section where it meets the piping....and replaced all the silicone connectors, like I said. No sound of rushing air under boost on the Dyno or on the road.

Also checked the compressor housing for leaks while running on the Dyno. Also tried removing the SC CAI to see if it was restricting airflow somehow.

Old 09-30-2003, 08:05 PM

I found a small leak on one of the silicon fittings on mine. The way I checked it is by filling a spray bottle with soap and water and spraying the $hit out of eveything.....if you see bubles you found the leak.

I had a very similar problem with the 3.125 pulley and only 6-7 psi. Found the leak in the fitting and got 12 psi.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:07 PM

Yep - that's why I replaced all the silicone connectors....same PSI.

Maybe I'll try going back to the old ones again just to be sure.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:09 PM

spray bottle what you have first and make sure you don't have a leak
Old 09-30-2003, 08:10 PM

Just dishwashing soap?
Old 09-30-2003, 08:12 PM

yup.............dam post nees 10 characters
Old 09-30-2003, 08:13 PM

Sure - I'll try anything.

At least I've got my vacuum leak solved....

When I got the vacuum fixed i was all psyched because I was sure the boost would come back along with it - imagine how pizzed I was when I went for a drive and only hit 7PSI.

Old 10-01-2003, 05:39 AM
ejj

You're going to come "down to" Buffalo from Flordia? Looked at a map lately?
Old 10-01-2003, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by ejj

You're going to come "down to" Buffalo from Flordia? Looked at a map lately?

Yup. Flordia is that new state JUST above you. 51st state, already made official.
Old 10-01-2003, 12:24 PM
ejj

Yup. Flordia is that new state JUST above you. 51st state, already made official.
Sorry, Florida.

You're still
Old 10-04-2003, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by ejj
Sorry, Florida.

You're still

Can I come over and hear some 'ol WWI stories? I will get your dentures cleaned if I can!
Old 10-04-2003, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by LatinMax
spray bottle what you have first and make sure you don't have a leak

Tried the spray bottle today...

Sprayed on all the couplings - nothing.
Sprayed on the MAF area - nothing
Sprayed on the ambient temp sensor hole - nothing
Sprayed on all the vacuum lines - nothing.

Sprayed on the Compressor itself - and I noticed on the place where the SC comes apart (you know, in half), that it was sucking the soap in.

Reached over and revved the engine - BIG bubbles!!!

I take it this is not normal.....

So rebuild time, right?

That sucks - because it's been doing this ever since I bought it from Loren....
Old 10-04-2003, 07:55 PM

I think you should have a beat-down on Loren.
Old 10-04-2003, 08:39 PM

Tried the spray bottle today...

Sprayed on all the couplings - nothing.
Sprayed on the MAF area - nothing
Sprayed on the ambient temp sensor hole - nothing
Sprayed on all the vacuum lines - nothing.

Sprayed on the Compressor itself - and I noticed on the place where the SC comes apart (you know, in half), that it was sucking the soap in.

So rebuild time, right?

Sorry, But like I said the spray bottle always finds the leak regard;ess how small it is.
That is how I learned to test exhaust leaks on piston aircraft (so tha the prop does not hit you...ex-aircradt mechanic)

Yes that does mean that you probably need to rebuild the SC.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong. well, at least know you know what the probelm is.
Old 10-04-2003, 08:42 PM

So rebuild time, right?

Ah ha!! I take it you mean where the compressor housing joins to the gear housing. I have wondered if that was where you might be losing some boost. You should check to make sure the little allen bolts that hold the housing on are tight. There are about five of them around the perimeter of the housing. If they are tight you should take the blower off and remove the housing and look for anything that might prevent a flush fit. Maybe some crud got wedged into the joint. You can also try using some gasket sealer to make the joint air tight. You don't need a rebuild unless it's time to replace seals and bearings.
Old 10-04-2003, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
Ah ha!! I take it you mean where the compressor housing joins to the gear housing. I have wondered if that was where you might be losing some boost. You should check to make sure the little allen bolts that hold the housing on are tight. There are about five of them around the perimeter of the housing. If they are tight you should take the blower off and remove the housing and look for anything that might prevent a flush fit. Maybe some crud got wedged into the joint. You can also try using some gasket sealer to make the joint air tight. You don't need a rebuild unless it's time to replace seals and bearings.

So I can take apart the SC without little bits falling out all over the place...?

I saw the allen bolts - interestingly, I got a litle soap down underneath to the bottom side of the SC - it's leaking all around the housing - not just one area....

I was thinking about using gasket sealer but was a little worried about the sealant getting into the impellar and screwing something up....would a paper gasket work? (I can just make one).....which would be best?

And again - dumb question, I know - but this is NOT supposed to happen - right?.....You all know how I am about being 110% sure on everything - sorry if it annoys some.

Thanks!
IanS
Old 10-04-2003, 09:02 PM

So I can take apart the SC without little bits falling out all over the place...?

I saw the allen bolts - interestingly, I got a litle soap down underneath to the bottom side of the SC - it's leaking all around the housing - not just one area....

I was thinking about using gasket sealer but was a little worried about the sealant getting into the impellar and screwing something up....would a paper gasket work? (I can just make one).....which would be best?

And again - dumb question, I know - but this is NOT supposed to happen - right?.....You all know how I am about being 110% sure on everything - sorry if it annoys some.

Thanks!
IanS
The last time I had the blower off the car I took the housing off because I was curious. It comes right off without any trouble or any little pieces springing across the room. Make a mark on the compressor housing and the gearbox housing before you do, though, so that you can index it properly when you reassemble.

I don't think gasket sealer could get on the impeller, but a paper gasket would be even better. I don't think leaks are supposed to happen at that joint, which makes me think maybe something got lodged in there. If you don't find anything obvious, then I guess either it wasn't machined perfectly or it warped a wee bit over time. Or, maybe since it leaks all around the joint, maybe they all do and we should all be making paper gaskets. I'll have to check mine tomorrow if I have time.
Old 10-04-2003, 09:12 PM

When I did my car there was no leak on my compressor. Like you a sprayed the hell out of it.
Befor you take it apart Stephen Max has a good point check to see that all the bolts are tight.
Old 10-04-2003, 09:43 PM

The strange thing is that when I'm revving the engine, I don't physically feel anything there....but I can certainly see it when the bubbles are there.

Old 10-04-2003, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
The last time I had the blower off the car I took the housing off because I was curious. It comes right off without any trouble or any little pieces springing across the room. Make a mark on the compressor housing and the gearbox housing before you do, though, so that you can index it properly when you reassemble.

I don't think gasket sealer could get on the impeller, but a paper gasket would be even better. I don't think leaks are supposed to happen at that joint, which makes me think maybe something got lodged in there. If you don't find anything obvious, then I guess either it wasn't machined perfectly or it warped a wee bit over time. Or, maybe since it leaks all around the joint, maybe they all do and we should all be making paper gaskets. I'll have to check mine tomorrow if I have time.
So when you took it apart, was there any kind of gasket there?
Old 10-04-2003, 10:28 PM

The strange thing is that when I'm revving the engine, I don't physically feel anything there....but I can certainly see it when the bubbles are there.

It may be just enough to give you the low boost that you have been getting. The leak I had at the couplig was just like that. Not very big but I was loosing about 2-3 psi

Quick Reply: Thinking of going 3.125"