Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

boosted people please help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 09:55 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

boosted people please help!

i've tryed and tryed again to solve this problem but after 1500.00 just tring to find what it is i'am giving it one more chance then calling it quits and selling the car after investing over 18,0000.00 on this project that has failed. heres the problem when i drive the car and boost/floor it i get this hesitaion feeling like the engine doesn't want to go but the sc makes it the rpms climb slowly and my exhaust grow nasty. now i'am getting 11psi at redline but with a geat lost of power (like maybe 70-80 hp) now if i slowly press the peddle i can get about 5-7psi without this problem. once in a blue moon i can hit full boost without the problem(maybe 5 or 6 times sense it started to do this 2 months ago. i just got the car back after 6 weeks in the shop. when the car was there they checked or change the following--leaks(boost,vac,exhaust)fuel system(fmu,injectors,rail,pumps,lines)supercharger (and all components/connections)tps(changed)iac(changed)throddle cable,crank pulley,ignition system,coil packs(all changed) and the engine as a whole. the supercharger was removed and the problem vanished,once it was back on the problem retuned. the sc was inspected and nothing wrong was found. i was told that they won't touch my exhaust system because the lack of the pre cats and main cat. could this be a exhaust clog? if so how,i don't have any cats and only one resinator please help? 95 maxima ,v2 sc,level 10 tranny & tc,warpspeed 3'' exhaust system,3.125 pulley,8:1 fuel disc the car runs normal sc runs normal 720F EGT under boost 500F no boost 90psi fuel pressure at redline 37psi fuel pressue at idle
Old 10-02-2003, 10:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sound exactly like a bad MAF to me...

It could be that your MAF is bad and it can handle no boost (ie - SC is off the car), but can't handle boost.

Have you tried swapping it with a friend's MAF to see if it makes a difference? It's free and it would help you eliminate that possibility.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:20 AM

i have order a new maf but it hasn't arrived yet thanks dave
Old 10-02-2003, 10:21 AM

Well, that's my vote....how much do i win if it's right?

Old 10-02-2003, 10:26 AM

1 millon dollars
Old 10-02-2003, 10:51 AM
Permanent Maxima.org Resident

what fuel pump are you running?
Old 10-02-2003, 01:46 PM

i have the pump that came with the sc (t-rex) i beleave and the oem nissan in tank pump
Old 10-02-2003, 04:21 PM

ok i just came back from checking my exhaust and found no leaks or clogs perfect free flow exhaust. if it was the maf is there anyway i can be sure that's the problem? would the maf work sometimes and then not? i thought that if the maf when out you would throw a code and the check engine light would come on?
Old 10-02-2003, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by daveauth21
i have the pump that came with the sc (t-rex) i beleave and the oem nissan in tank pump
could be the hobb switch
Old 10-03-2003, 06:34 AM
Permanent Maxima.org Resident

I think the kind of problem you describe is from belt tension or fuel. YOu might want to check the fuel pressure during the "stumble" and see how its rising and to see if you are consistant. A few people have had trouble with the t rex.. Some opt for the walbro in tank and dump the inline. Make sure the fuse for the in tank is good as well.

Also check the belt tension from below and inspect the belt for any sign of fraying.

Have you checked your ecu for codes that might not light up the cel?
Old 10-09-2003, 03:57 PM

ok just changed out the maf and the problem is still there. last night i went to the track and ran some pertty bad runs of 15.6,15.3 with nearly perfect take offs i think its the fuel because when the sc was taken off the problem stoped so i've ordered a warbrol pump and will soon find out. if anyone else thinks they know what could be causing this problem don't hesitate to leave a reply dave
Old 10-09-2003, 07:15 PM

what about the tranny

could be a bad torque convertor, like may be it is still locked up when you are trying to throttle it. what stall is the torque convertor that is in there? sorry just taking a guess, because you say the motor is all new.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:35 PM

I had a similar but less severe issue last summer similar to this problem. My car was stumbling some and missing, power was down, and the car didn't run well. It was ok some of the time. I was turning horrible times at the track, 15.3's to 15.7's. Turns out my problem was that the shop who installed my SC didn't install the wire to the T-Rex fuel pump securely and it came loose.

Basically my car was running way lean and causing the knock sensor to retard timing due to detonation. It did not happen all the time, it depended on the temp and so on. Messed up my sparkplugs too. Fixed the T-rex and changed the plugs and everything was fine again

Originally Posted by Confused
I think the kind of problem you describe is from belt tension or fuel. YOu might want to check the fuel pressure during the "stumble" and see how its rising and to see if you are consistant. A few people have had trouble with the t rex.. Some opt for the walbro in tank and dump the inline. Make sure the fuse for the in tank is good as well.

Also check the belt tension from below and inspect the belt for any sign of fraying.

Have you checked your ecu for codes that might not light up the cel?
Old 10-09-2003, 08:00 PM

yeah thats what i'am thinking it might be the t-rex pump isn't running when it should so i got a warbrol just need to install to find out. my tranny and tc was just rebuilt in june by level 10 got them both bulletproof and the tc to stall at 3200rpms i don't think its the tc but my tranny has a burned up sensor and a possible broken wire that makes it slip, just looking around to find a tranny shop that will open it up and fix it with out charging me an arm and a leg to do so but thanks for the try that black bosch box that those wires from from the t-rex go in what would that be called? i noticed the other day that when my hood was up and the engine was running that if you touched the black box enough the t-rex would turn on and off(i'am hoping thats the problem i'am having the whole time)
Old 10-10-2003, 01:25 PM

that black box??

Originally Posted by daveauth21
yeah thats what i'am thinking it might be the t-rex pump isn't running when it should so i got a warbrol just need to install to find out. my tranny and tc was just rebuilt in june by level 10 got them both bulletproof and the tc to stall at 3200rpms i don't think its the tc but my tranny has a burned up sensor and a possible broken wire that makes it slip, just looking around to find a tranny shop that will open it up and fix it with out charging me an arm and a leg to do so but thanks for the try that black bosch box that those wires from from the t-rex go in what would that be called? i noticed the other day that when my hood was up and the engine was running that if you touched the black box enough the t-rex would turn on and off(i'am hoping thats the problem i'am having the whole time)
are you talking baout the bosch box that comes with the sc kit? If so itis just a basic that is controlled by the vacuum/boost switch that then turns on your aux fuel pump. when I put in my new in tank pump I completely by passed that whole mess, and just pulled the fuse that runs it, it's just something else to not work and cause your aux pump not to come on. I think stillen should've just put a high vol. pump in the tank to begin with, it's safer and less crap to go wrong.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:36 PM

ok i just replaced my in tank pump with the walbro and still the car runs like crap i'am thinking about changing the fuel filter again, has anyone ever put on a 300zx tt fuel filter on their car? i'am thinking about doing that. now i'am really stuped on whats causing my problem, i will now try to have my tps checked again and maybe look into the fact that i might just have to sell the car. thanks to all those who replyed and if you guys can think of anything else that sounds like it could cause this problem whether or not it was changed or checked(first post) please let me know dave