Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

SAFC Driving settings

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 08:53 AM

SAFC Driving settings

Howdy folks. So I did a search thinking someone has posted this already but haven't seen any post, well except one.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....=safc+settings

I was wondering if any one had posted anything like this for the turbo folks. Some basic settings to get started with, then get it fine tuned on the dyno.

So here's what I have. I went back to the stock injectors for now. I have the EIP FMU (looks just like the Cartech). Stock ecu. Stock Maf.
I have the t3/60-1 turbo. I don't know much about SAFC but I have the basic start up settings done. Which I'll update this post for future refrence. These basic startup settings are posted.

I would try the above settings but I don't have the Vortech FMU. So I'm not sure if that will cause a problem if I'm running richer for now. I don't think it would, it maybe slower though. Which is ok.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:26 AM

I wouldn't use those settings since you're a turbo and your power curve is radically different than Jay's with the SC. Is your EIP FMU adjustable like the cartech? If so, I'd use that for most of your fuel tuning, it has a much bigger affect than the AFC does. At least that's what I've seen. On Sadler's turbo Maxima, the A/F was tuned to a pretty flat 12:1 on the dyno using the Cartech FMU alone. After playing with the AFC, it didn't change that line much at all. At 5 psi, he was seeing 65psi fuel pressure.

You're dyno shop should be able to tune your car from scratch without any basic settings on the AFC. It's not too complex, so if you're dyno operator is experienced, he should be able to just look at the graph and figure out where to go on the AFC. But like I said earlier, use the adjustable FMU for the big changes and the AFC will tweak things a little.

I think it'll be a while before any basic settings are known for turbocharged Maximas. Most people are using different turbos/fuel setups so there is no standard like there is with the SC.

Originally Posted by Uncle Max
Howdy folks. So I did a search thinking someone has posted this already but haven't seen any post, well except one.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....=safc+settings

I was wondering if any one had posted anything like this for the turbo folks. Some basic settings to get started with, then get it fine tuned on the dyno.

So here's what I have. I went back to the stock injectors for now. I have the EIP FMU (looks just like the Cartech). Stock ecu. Stock Maf.
I have the t3/60-1 turbo. I don't know much about SAFC but I have the basic start up settings done. Which I'll update this post for future refrence. These basic startup settings are posted.

I would try the above settings but I don't have the Vortech FMU. So I'm not sure if that will cause a problem if I'm running richer for now. I don't think it would, it maybe slower though. Which is ok.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow
I wouldn't use those settings since you're a turbo and your power curve is radically different than Jay's with the SC. Is your EIP FMU adjustable like the cartech? If so, I'd use that for most of your fuel tuning, it has a much bigger affect than the AFC does. At least that's what I've seen. On Sadler's turbo Maxima, the A/F was tuned to a pretty flat 12:1 on the dyno using the Cartech FMU alone. After playing with the AFC, it didn't change that line much at all. At 5 psi, he was seeing 65psi fuel pressure.

You're dyno shop should be able to tune your car from scratch without any basic settings on the AFC. It's not too complex, so if you're dyno operator is experienced, he should be able to just look at the graph and figure out where to go on the AFC. But like I said earlier, use the adjustable FMU for the big changes and the AFC will tweak things a little.

I think it'll be a while before any basic settings are known for turbocharged Maximas. Most people are using different turbos/fuel setups so there is no standard like there is with the SC.
Hmm I see. Yea the EIP FMU is adj. like Cartech. I think The EIP at it's highest goes to 12:1. So the higher the number the more rich it is?
I guess I better not mess withe SAFC just yet. I'll set the FMU to richest setting to get it to the dyno.

I'll post what setting I get if it helps any of the Turbo guys.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:40 AM

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?

I don't think you need to set it to 12:1 just to drive to the dyno. Just don't floor it. Remember, unless you're at full throttle, or into boost much, you're really not stressing your fuel system. So if you take it easy and drive like an old lady, you should be fine.

Hmm I see. Yea the EIP FMU is adj. like Cartech. I think The EIP at it's highest goes to 12:1. So the higher the number the more rich it is?
I guess I better not mess withe SAFC just yet. I'll set the FMU to richest setting to get it to the dyno.

I'll post what setting I get if it helps any of the Turbo guys.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:50 AM

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?

I don't think you need to set it to 12:1 just to drive to the dyno. Just don't floor it. Remember, unless you're at full throttle, or into boost much, you're really not stressing your fuel system. So if you take it easy and drive like an old lady, you should be fine.
Ahh ok. I just spoke to Carboy and they said about 150-180 tune the FMU and the SAFC with Dyno pulls. I have a Greddy FP gauge but it reads in kg so I'm not sure what the base pressure is at. I rigged up a mechanical and it read 30 psi and would drop a little to 20's and thats with the stock FPR installed. So im thinking the stock FPR is not releasing fuel to the guage because it's controlling the stock fuel pressure.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:00 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i wish i could add insight, but i dont know enough about the fuel system.

i am glad you got the EIP unit, it will come out on top i am sure..
Old 10-06-2003, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by thebigsadler
i wish i could add insight, but i dont know enough about the fuel system.

i am glad you got the EIP unit, it will come out on top i am sure..
I would of spent some time trying to work something out with EIP to lower the base pressure w/o the stock FPR, for the Z inj. but I've wasted enough time trying different things. Im gonna go with the flow for a little while and try different stuff later.
Old 10-06-2003, 04:04 PM

I rigged up a mechanical and it read 30 psi and would drop a little to 20's and thats with the stock FPR installed. So im thinking the stock FPR is not releasing fuel to the guage because it's controlling the stock fuel pressure.
Where did you tap into to get this reading?
Old 10-07-2003, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by MAXIN
Where did you tap into to get this reading?
Between the stock FPR and the new EIP FMU. I figure that should give me the reading on pressure after the stock FPR opens when it can't hold the extra pressure.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:13 AM

That won't work. Apparently, the fuel pressure drops a bunch after the stock FPR on the return line. It has to be before the stock FPR. We did this on Jason's car accidentally and it was reading like 7 psi. If you have an aftermarket FPR, you can runit this way.

Run the sensor before the fuel rail.

Between the stock FPR and the new EIP FMU. I figure that should give me the reading on pressure after the stock FPR opens when it can't hold the extra pressure.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:49 AM

That won't work. Apparently, the fuel pressure drops a bunch after the stock FPR on the return line. It has to be before the stock FPR. We did this on Jason's car accidentally and it was reading like 7 psi. If you have an aftermarket FPR, you can runit this way.

Run the sensor before the fuel rail.
So you're saying tap into the fuel line before the stock FPR and the FMU? So I would connect the fuel pressure guage btwn the fuel filter and the fuel rail? so does the fuel pressure build back into the line before the rail?

If it's just a fuel line I can see that working. so there's no vavles that keep back pressure from reaching the fuel filter and back to the fuel pump?
Old 10-07-2003, 11:00 AM

So you're saying tap into the fuel line before the stock FPR and the FMU? So I would connect the fuel pressure guage btwn the fuel filter and the fuel rail? so does the fuel pressure build back into the line before the rail?

If it's just a fuel line I can see that working. so there's no vavles that keep back pressure from reaching the fuel filter and back to the fuel pump?

Yea, you should be tapped between the fuel filter and FPR. The fuel return is a low pressure line.

Where you tapped, you would probably only get a higher pressure reading when on boost since thats when the FMU raises the fuel pressure. But anything in vacuum (idle) would read much lower then the actual pressure since your tapped into the fuel return and the FMU is just passing fuel.

edit: you replied before I edited my post
Old 10-07-2003, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by MAXIN
Yea, you should be tapped between the fuel filter and FPR. The fuel return is a low pressue line.
Alrighty, I'll tap into the the fuel line btwn the fuel filter and the fuel rail.
We'll see how that goes.