Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

JWT ecu update

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 08:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

JWT ecu update

Thought I'd share a few observations.

Got the maf moved to in front of the blower and the bov recirc system worked out and installed, it works fine. I tried it without the recirc hose and the engine immediately idled very rich and bogged, so it really does need the recirc hose.

I have gradually been increasing percent throttle and rpm, boosting to about 5 psi. The car feels quite a bit stronger than before, but I think that is because I never had it dyno-tuned when I was running the Vortech fmu. Overall I am very happy with how it has turned out.

The only concern I have is that the engine has been pinging a bit under partial throttle acceleration (but not when boosting), and the other day the mil went off with 1005 - EGR control valve solenoid. I also suspect that I may have an intake leak at one of the injectors or at the plenum gasket. Until I get that sorted out I'm not doing any hard boosting.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:39 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
I also suspect that I may have an intake leak at one of the injectors
Do you smell gas after the car's been sitting? I tore an o-ring before when putting in an injector, and once I'd shut the car off it would start to bubble gas...it was very obvious that I had a leak because of the smell.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by ejj
Do you smell gas after the car's been sitting? I tore an o-ring before when putting in an injector, and once I'd shut the car off it would start to bubble gas...it was very obvious that I had a leak because of the smell.
No, I'm not getting any smell of excess fuel, but the engine will make a small, almost unnoticeable backfire when I rev it in neutral and when I shift during spirited driving. I might be misreading the symptoms as an intake leak, but I'm going to check all the injector o-rings and replace the plenum gasket anyway when I finish porting the MEVI and reinstall it this weekend.

I just got back from lunch. On the way back a young (compared to me, that is) guy in a black 2k SE alongside me gave my car a very interested look. It was very hard not to show him what a 4th gen with ***** can do.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:01 PM

Well, I tightened the intake bolts a bit over the weekend and the pinging at partial throttle has gone away, but I'm still getting a 1005 code from the MIL. I checked out egr function over the weekend and the egr control valve solenoid seems to check out okay, but the egr valve itself wasn't doing anything when I held the throttle open to 2-4 krpm and then back down to idle. So, I'm a bit confused as to what the real problem is. 1005 indicates a problem with the egrc valve solenoid.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:19 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Even though the pinging went away, I suspect that was not the cause.

I'm willing to bet the JWT ECU base map is either too lean or too agressive on the timing under part throttle. Although, I doubt this is really any concern. You might try "spiking" your fuel with some higher octane gas just to see if it goes away.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:35 PM
Permanent Maxima.org Resident

are you able to clear the code? sounds like one of jwt's infamous imperfections.

Well, I tightened the intake bolts a bit over the weekend and the pinging at partial throttle has gone away, but I'm still getting a 1005 code from the MIL. I checked out egr function over the weekend and the egr control valve solenoid seems to check out okay, but the egr valve itself wasn't doing anything when I held the throttle open to 2-4 krpm and then back down to idle. So, I'm a bit confused as to what the real problem is. 1005 indicates a problem with the egrc valve solenoid.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:46 PM

I'm not saying you're wrong, but honestly I'm surprised JWT is able to offer a boosted ECU program that actually works pretty well for such an array of different mods....let alone with only that minor hiccup.

If the car was dyno tuned at JWTs shop, then I'd be . However, just to be able to buy one off the shelf for XXX mods is pretty impressive to me.

Originally Posted by Confused
are you able to clear the code? sounds like one of jwt's infamous imperfections.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:55 PM

Also, maybe try using your S-AFC to add a little fuel there.

Can 4th gens. set the "low" throttle setting on the S-AFC? 5th. geners. say they can't...only high settings.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
Also, maybe try using your S-AFC to add a little fuel there.

Can 4th gens. set the "low" throttle setting on the S-AFC? 5th. geners. say they can't...only high settings.
I don't think 4th gens can use the low settings either. I tried it once by increasing richness at lower rpm and my car ran very erratically, a sign that the ecu was trying to compensate for the increased richness.
Old 10-14-2003, 12:22 PM

Fock! I'd try and map out EXACTLY when it occurs and tell JWT about it then. Closed-loop part throttle is the hardest area to tune IMO besides decel, so they may just be off a little for your mods.

I wonder what Clark Steppler would say if you asked? Might be worth a call?

I don't think 4th gens can use the low settings either. I tried it once by increasing richness at lower rpm and my car ran very erratically, a sign that the ecu was trying to compensate for the increased richness.
Old 10-14-2003, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
Fock! I'd try and map out EXACTLY when it occurs and tell JWT about it then. Closed-loop part throttle is the hardest area to tune IMO besides decel, so they may just be off a little for your mods.

I wonder what Clark Steppler would say if you asked? Might be worth a call?
This happened a while ago, back before I got the JWT ecu.