Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Well I need HELP again.. Trying to maximize the SC setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 08:55 AM
www.autotalk.com

Well I need HELP again.. Trying to maximize the SC setup

I was gona purchase the JICs but decided against it and now I can spend the cash towards more performance. Right now I am running a 3.125 pulley and a 6:1 disc. I am planning to purchase the MEVI so what else I should get to make it a safe setup? 300zx injectors? jwt ecu? Will I not need the FMU anymore if I get bigger injectors? Whats the advantage? Need advice from the gurus here ;-)

Thanks!
Old 10-11-2003, 10:26 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

I just bought the 3.125" pulley and the 8:1 recalibration kit. Everyone recommended the 8:1 in my thread about going the 3.125" route so I suggest you should get that as well.
Old 10-11-2003, 10:41 AM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Do not run the 6:1 disc with the 3.125, especially with a V2. You're gonna detanate. The 6:1 is too lean, and should be ran with nothing smaller than a 3.33".
Old 10-11-2003, 11:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You are still going to need an FMU to control the fuel pressure under boost.

Dixit
Old 10-11-2003, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by BigDogJonx

Dixit

Dixit if he goes with JW ECU he should not need a fmu of any type. JW will program the ECU to run the injectors. Ossamah going w/the injectors and the ECU, game on! you will be one very fast **** and no headaches to worry about since JW dyno tunes the ECU for you.

I told you you was going to get MEVI. "you said NO "
Old 10-11-2003, 03:25 PM
UCF Lexus

Originally Posted by JAY25
"you said NO "

He told me too.....Oss.....take all those damn subs and TVs out and make your trunk look like Jaime's.
Old 10-11-2003, 07:12 PM
www.autotalk.com

Originally Posted by BigDogJonx

Dixit
But if I have JWT ECU, 300ZX Injectors and MEVI then I dont need a fmu rite?

Dixit if he goes with JW ECU he should not need a fmu of any type. JW will program the ECU to run the injectors. Ossamah going w/the injectors and the ECU, game on! you will be one very fast **** and no headaches to worry about since JW dyno tunes the ECU for you.

I told you you was going to get MEVI. "you said NO "

Well at that time I didnt have my touch screen tv and the custom trunk ;-) Now I am set with LOOKS so MORE SPEED! You liked the runs tonite? I am still not convinced :-D

Originally Posted by bijan gxe

He told me too.....Oss.....take all those damn subs and TVs out and make your trunk look like Jaime's.
damn subs and damn tvs? NO thank you sir! Gota get the looks first. Cant have a fast car with NO looks :-p
Old 10-12-2003, 05:04 AM

we going to go to the track, all of us, and it will much different safer and it will be right on the money. Once you install the FMU, adios FMU. I told you the ECU will control it. Sit back and watch what I am talking about with I believe Stephen max, he just installed this set up in his SCed max.
Old 10-12-2003, 07:25 AM
www.autotalk.com

we going to go to the track, all of us, and it will much different safer and it will be right on the money. Once you install the FMU, adios FMU. I told you the ECU will control it. Sit back and watch what I am talking about with I believe Stephen max, he just installed this set up in his SCed max.
There is this track in chatanooga I found that a friend of mine goes to. THey have about 6-7 maxes that show up and a SCed 2k. Wanna go out there?
Old 10-12-2003, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Max4Speed
There is this track in chatanooga I found that a friend of mine goes to. THey have about 6-7 maxes that show up and a SCed 2k. Wanna go out there?

how far is it? and how much to get in?
Old 10-12-2003, 08:55 AM
www.autotalk.com

how far is it? and how much to get in?

$35 for 3 runs I believe. How much is commerce?
Old 10-12-2003, 09:45 AM

$35 for 3 runs I believe. How much is commerce?

fck that $20.00 for as many runs you can get which is usually like four
Old 10-12-2003, 09:52 AM
www.autotalk.com

fck that $20.00 for as many runs you can get which is usually like four
Thats what I said. Commerce is it then! Lets do it before I put in the MEVI and ECU ;-)\\Still waiting for the vids man..
Old 10-12-2003, 11:58 AM

yeah we can go to that sh!tty commerce since is not that far away, can you hold tight while he breaks that clutch in so we can all go at the same time all three of us

Don t forget I just did that clutch this past weekend in the white max.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:27 AM

That's right. I'm really enjoying it. Before, I was basically untuned running an 8:1 FMU, and having the JWT tuned ECU is like night and day at the mid-rpm range. Noticeably more power even with conservative timing and afr. But that is just butt-dyno results, and we all know how reliable they are.

I haven't wrapped it out to 7.2krpm under boost yet because I am an overly cautious candy-a$$ed old fart, but when I re-install the MEVI sometime this week I'll carefully work my way up into the stratosphere.

Or maybe not. With a 3" pulley at 7.2krpm my blower will be spinning at 51.4krpm, about 3krpm faster than with a 2.87" pulley at 6.5krpm, so I'll be making about 13 psi of uncooled boost. I probably should have stayed with the 3.25" pulley. It might just be FMIC time for me.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:37 AM
www.autotalk.com

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
That's right. I'm really enjoying it. Before, I was basically untuned running an 8:1 FMU, and having the JWT tuned ECU is like night and day at the mid-rpm range. Noticeably more power even with conservative timing and afr. But that is just butt-dyno results, and we all know how reliable they are.

I haven't wrapped it out to 7.2krpm under boost yet because I am an overly cautious candy-a$$ed old fart, but when I re-install the MEVI sometime this week I'll carefully work my way up into the stratosphere.

Or maybe not. With a 3" pulley at 7.2krpm my blower will be spinning at 51.4krpm, about 3krpm faster than with a 2.87" pulley at 6.5krpm, so I'll be making about 13 psi of uncooled boost. I probably should have stayed with the 3.25" pulley. It might just be FMIC time for me.

What setup do you have right now?
Old 10-13-2003, 08:46 AM

What setup do you have right now?
V1, 3" pulley, 370 cc/min injectors, JWT ECU, CAI, Warpspeed y, test pipe, Stillen b and stock 4th gen muffler. I've got an SAFC, but it's not doing anything. Oh yeah, I'm running the Z32 maf at the blower inlet with recirculation hose from the bov.

Right now I'm running the USIM, but later this week I should have the MEVI back on with a 70 mm Pathfinder throttle.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:01 AM

V1, 3" pulley, 370 cc/min injectors, JWT ECU, CAI, Warpspeed y, test pipe, Stillen b and stock 4th gen muffler. I've got an SAFC, but it's not doing anything. Oh yeah, I'm running the Z32 maf at the blower inlet with recirculation hose from the bov.

Right now I'm running the USIM, but later this week I should have the MEVI back on with a 70 mm Pathfinder throttle.

Why are you using a SAFC? I thought the ECU controlled the everything for you
Old 10-13-2003, 11:04 AM

Why are you using a SAFC? I thought the ECU controlled the everything for you
The SAFC is left over from when I had the FMU. That's why I said it's not doing anything.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:05 PM
www.autotalk.com

The SAFC is left over from when I had the FMU. That's why I said it's not doing anything.
So that is for "ALL SHOW" then? :-D
Old 10-13-2003, 12:15 PM

So it is doing something after all! Except that I keep it in the glove box.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:22 PM
www.autotalk.com

I mounted mine in the dash so dont feel like taking it out :-(
Old 10-13-2003, 01:22 PM

is not for show right now. remember I added some fuel for you after 4K being scared that you may be a bit lean up top which may explain why your very fast on top end
Old 10-13-2003, 01:50 PM
www.autotalk.com

is not for show right now. remember I added some fuel for you after 4K being scared that you may be a bit lean up top which may explain why your very fast on top end
Hopefuly there is no traffic right now and I can make it there in 20 min :-D
Old 10-13-2003, 02:53 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

As you said, JWT runs on the rich/safe side.

If you make it to a dyno, you might find some decent gains with some fine S-AFC tuning.

Don't be getting rid of it.

Old 10-15-2003, 11:16 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

So the best/safest setup for getting the most gain is S/C, Z injectors, JWT ECU upgrade??

Right now I am running the V2 w/ Blitz BOV, MAF between BOV and TB, MEVI and Vortec FMU w/ 8:1 Disc. Running HELLA rich. I'm contemplating my next move and I'm trying to get some solid info on either Cartech FMU/AFCII (or Greddy E-Manage) or the JWT route. Hadn't planned on doing the injectors. If I stick with stock injectors, is the base map from JWT effective? I do plan to convert to 5spd once the A/T bags out. Should I go with the FMU/AFCII (or Emanage) for now and worry about the JWT upgrade after 5spd & injectors? What if I decide I don't want to do injectors?

I know thats a lot of different scenarios but some saged input would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Max1man
So the best/safest setup for getting the most gain is S/C, Z injectors, JWT ECU upgrade??

Right now I am running the V2 w/ Blitz BOV, MAF between BOV and TB, MEVI and Vortec FMU w/ 8:1 Disc. Running HELLA rich. I'm contemplating my next move and I'm trying to get some solid info on either Cartech FMU/AFCII (or Greddy E-Manage) or the JWT route. Hadn't planned on doing the injectors. If I stick with stock injectors, is the base map from JWT effective? I do plan to convert to 5spd once the A/T bags out. Should I go with the FMU/AFCII (or Emanage) for now and worry about the JWT upgrade after 5spd & injectors? What if I decide I don't want to do injectors?

I know thats a lot of different scenarios but some saged input would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
You may be rich at lower rpm, but once the MEVI opens up you may be leaner than you think.

I don't think JWT has an ecu program for stock Maxima injectors. You might want to call them to be sure, though.

For 9 psi or less of boost, I'd stick with the FMU and fine tune with the SAFC on a dyno. Once you get to 10 psi and over it's time to think about larger injectors so you can run stock (or at least lower) fuel pressure. Just my opinion.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:04 PM

How much boost are you running now(size pulley?) and how much do you intend to push FINALLY? This depends MOSTLY on your final hp goal and secondly on your budget.

The FMU route works, however it's not as safe. Plus, according to StephenMax, the injectors/300Z MAF/JWT ECU together seem to produce better gains then the FMU overworking the stock injectors.

If you can afford the JWT ECU, 300Z MAF, and injectors, I'd go that route ALL AT ONCE. Otherwise, just keep the boost reasonable and save up until you can afford the JWT route.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
The FMU route works, however it's not as safe. Plus, according to StephenMax, the injectors/300Z MAF/JWT ECU together seem to produce better gains then the FMU overworking the stock injectors.
Disclaimer: Not scientifically verified by dyno runs. Butt dyno results only. Your butt may vary. Void where prohibited by law.

There is no doubt it is a safer setup.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:27 PM

I did actually talk to JWT and their base + SC map is for the stock injectors/MAF + S/C. I'm running the 3.33 right now and have pulled a max boost of 8.5psi but generally average between 7-8. I do not plan to go beyond the 3.12". It's sounding like I should go with the FMU/AFC or Emanage for now and save the JWT for after the 5spd conversion (and possibly new injectors/maf...not really wanting to fork out the $$ for those). I've achieved the level of "legendhood" I was after so anything beyond what I have now is "nice to have" but not a "passionate desire".
Old 10-15-2003, 12:49 PM

Sounds like the FMU/S-AFC(or Emange) is the best IMO.

Only hard-core boost junkies that NEED 10+psi will require the JWT route.

I did actually talk to JWT and their base + SC map is for the stock injectors/MAF + S/C. I'm running the 3.33 right now and have pulled a max boost of 8.5psi but generally average between 7-8. I do not plan to go beyond the 3.12". It's sounding like I should go with the FMU/AFC or Emanage for now and save the JWT for after the 5spd conversion (and possibly new injectors/maf...not really wanting to fork out the $$ for those). I've achieved the level of "legendhood" I was after so anything beyond what I have now is "nice to have" but not a "passionate desire".
Old 10-15-2003, 01:04 PM

That confirms some other input I've gotten. Just ordered the 2025 FMU...should be here next week. Then off to dyno Until I start pushing a load more of boost, I'm gonna hold off on the AFC as well. Found out the E-Manage really does it's best on 400+HP. I shouldn't need the AFC till I drop down a couple pulley's. By that time there might be an AFCIII and I'd sure be ****ed to have wasted money because I didnt wait till it was needed

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 10-15-2003, 01:15 PM

I think I'd get a wide-band 02 done when you go to the dyno before you decide no on the S-AFC.

You can pick up a used one for $190 in the FS forum right now.

That confirms some other input I've gotten. Just ordered the 2025 FMU...should be here next week. Then off to dyno Until I start pushing a load more of boost, I'm gonna hold off on the AFC as well. Found out the E-Manage really does it's best on 400+HP. I shouldn't need the AFC till I drop down a couple pulley's. By that time there might be an AFCIII and I'd sure be ****ed to have wasted money because I didnt wait till it was needed

Thanks for the input guys.