Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Did I get the wrong 300zx injectors (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 03:37 PM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Did I get the wrong 300zx injectors (PICS)

So I purchased a set of 1995 300zx injectors, or so I thought:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ight=injectors

They arrived today, and I'm not sure if they are the correct ones. The wiring harness is different, and I'm not sure if that's because I've got the wrong year 300zx injectors, or its a strange 1999 thing or something else...

Pics...the brown injector with the black cap is the 300zx, and the red is a stock 99 injector...the pictures suck, sorry.

I don't recall what color the injectors _should_ be, but I do remember Stephen Max saying his were an off olive type color, which I could consider these.

So...did I get the wrong ones? If not, why don't the wiring harness' appear to work.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:38 PM
ejj

Pics in my spare 1999 fuel rail:

Old 10-14-2003, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by ejj
Pics in my spare 1999 fuel rail:

Have you tried running pressure through the rail to see if it leaks due to the diamter of the injector. I mean, the tip is a little longer, thats how all 300z injectors are. It might cause a little restriction over stock, but if the shoe fits (doesnt leak), wear it.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:34 AM
ejj

Originally Posted by Julio
Have you tried running pressure through the rail to see if it leaks due to the diamter of the injector. I mean, the tip is a little longer, thats how all 300z injectors are. It might cause a little restriction over stock, but if the shoe fits (doesnt leak), wear it.
No, that rail isn't on the car.

The bigger problem in my mind is the fact that the wiring harness is different, which I wasn't expecting.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

EJJ, I got a set of those brown injectors myself, I have not installed them yet. Ill try to take a pic today if possible. Small problem I lost the software to my camera
Old 10-15-2003, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by ejj
No, that rail isn't on the car.

The bigger problem in my mind is the fact that the wiring harness is different, which I wasn't expecting.
Eric,

The 370 cc/min injectors I bought (used) look pretty much the same as what you have, except mine had new pintle caps made that are a bit different than yours. But they are dark chocolate brown in color, with a tinge of olive.

The connector looks like a stock 95-98 harness connector. What you have on your old (red) injector looks like what I have on my 2k Maxima. Apparently they changed connector shape beginning with the 99 model.

Also, my 95 Maxima injectors have the filter ring at the same location as your 300ZX injector, so that is another change that was made.

I have bought brand new 300zx injectors (which are purple) and they have the filter ring at the same location as your red injector. They are referred to as the "new style" injectors in the parts listing, so evidently Nissan made a change in the injector configuration between 98 and 99. I haven't installed them yet.

You wouldn't be interested in selling your fuel rail, would you?
Old 10-15-2003, 06:42 AM
ejj

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
Eric,

The 370 cc/min injectors I bought (used) look pretty much the same as what you have, except mine had new pintle caps made that are a bit different than yours. But they are dark chocolate brown in color, with a tinge of olive.
Sounds like what I've got.

The connector looks like a stock 95-98 harness connector. What you have on your old (red) injector looks like what I have on my 2k Maxima. Apparently they changed connector shape beginning with the 99 model.
That's what I was affraid of. I'll have to go and check out my mom's 97 and see what her connectors look like.

Couldn't I get the connectors off a 95-98 and replace the ones on my car with them?

Also, my 95 Maxima injectors have the filter ring at the same location as your 300ZX injector, so that is another change that was made.

I have bought brand new 300zx injectors (which are purple) and they have the filter ring at the same location as your red injector. They are referred to as the "new style" injectors in the parts listing, so evidently Nissan made a change in the injector configuration between 98 and 99. I haven't installed them yet.
Are the connectors on your purple ones the same as your brown ones, or like my red (stock) ones?

You wouldn't be interested in selling your fuel rail, would you?
Once I get this all squared away, sure. I'd like to keep it for now for test-fittings and stuff, but once I've got the injector situation figured out, I'd have no use for it. What would you use it for?
Old 10-15-2003, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by ejj
Couldn't I get the connectors off a 95-98 and replace the ones on my car with them?
Yes, you could.

Are the connectors on your purple ones the same as your brown ones, or like my red (stock) ones?
Ya know, I'm not sure. I didn't think to check that. I might be doing the connector changeover, too. But on second thought, the new style injector was made to retrofit with the 95-96 Z32, so it shouldn't have a different harness connector than what the Z32 came with. I think.

Once I get this all squared away, sure. I'd like to keep it for now for test-fittings and stuff, but once I've got the injector situation figured out, I'd have no use for it. What would you use it for?
Since injectors are such a b!tch to remove from the fuel rail, I'm thinking it would be useful to have my old injectors already installed in a spaer fuel rail for whenever I send my ecu back to JWT for tuning changes. That way I can just pop out the entire fuel rail with the Z32 injectors and pop in the spare fuel rail with the old injectors. I've probably convinced you to keep it now.

Off course, if the harness connector is different it's not going to be that easy.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:11 AM
ejj

Since injectors are such a b!tch to remove from the fuel rail, I'm thinking it would be useful to have my old injectors already installed in a spaer fuel rail for whenever I send my ecu back to JWT for tuning changes. That way I can just pop out the entire fuel rail with the Z32 injectors and pop in the spare fuel rail with the old injectors. I've probably convinced you to keep it now.

Off course, if the harness connector is different it's not going to be that easy.
Yeah, if I have to swap connectors my current injectors will become useless to me, so I have no use for an extra fuel rail unless I buy a set of stock 95-98 injectors, which I'm not going to do.

So yeah, once I'm done with this project the rail is yours.

Just talked to my mom, going to her house tomorrow to confirm that 97 connectors will work. Assuming they will, its junkyard time!

You don't see any reason that the injector wouldn't work other than the connectors, correct? The filter location and different caps should be just fine, right?
Old 10-15-2003, 07:13 AM
ejj

I've never tried to take a fuel injector apart (although I will tonight...I've got a spare set of 99 injectors)...but could I swap the red connector "cap" part onto the the Z injector? That sure would simplify things...
Old 10-15-2003, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by ejj
Yeah, if I have to swap connectors my current injectors will become useless to me, so I have no use for an extra fuel rail unless I buy a set of stock 95-98 injectors, which I'm not going to do.

So yeah, once I'm done with this project the rail is yours.

Just talked to my mom, going to her house tomorrow to confirm that 97 connectors will work. Assuming they will, its junkyard time!

You don't see any reason that the injector wouldn't work other than the connectors, correct? The filter location and different caps should be just fine, right?
I looked at the purple injectors pretty closely and compared them with the Max injectors, and it looks to me like there should be no problem. I'll be doing the swap this weekend so I'll let you know if you haven't already done it yourself.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:34 AM
ejj

I looked at the purple injectors pretty closely and compared them with the Max injectors, and it looks to me like there should be no problem. I'll be doing the swap this weekend so I'll let you know if you haven't already done it yourself.
Cool, I'm not going to be swapping them real soon. Once I know I can get connectors to work, I'm going to send the injectors out be be cleaned and flow-tested, then install them.

I'm just happy that I did end up with the right injectors.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by ejj
Cool, I'm not going to be swapping them real soon. Once I know I can get connectors to work, I'm going to send the injectors out be be cleaned and flow-tested, then install them.

I'm just happy that I did end up with the right injectors.

Eric, I took a second look at your injectors and I have to point out there is one more difference between yours and mine, and that is my pintle caps allow space above them for a small o-ring, like what is on your red injector. I'm pretty sure that o-ring is necessary to prevent fuel leaking past the injector. Or does your pintle cap make the seal?
Old 10-15-2003, 07:57 AM
ejj

Eric, I took a second look at your injectors and I have to point out there is one more difference between yours and mine, and that is my pintle caps allow space above them for a small o-ring, like what is on your red injector. I'm pretty sure that o-ring is necessary to prevent fuel leaking past the injector. Or does your pintle cap make the seal?
Oops.

There was an o-ring on there. It fell off when I removed the injector from the fuel rail (I got the Z injectors in a Z fuel rail) and I didn't put it back on.

I have it though.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by ejj
Oops.

There was an o-ring on there. It fell off when I removed the injector from the fuel rail (I got the Z injectors in a Z fuel rail) and I didn't put it back on.

I have it though.
Okay, that's a relief. Concerning taking a fuel injector apart, you should call RC Engineering up and ask them.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:05 AM
ejj

Concerning taking a fuel injector apart, you should call RC Engineering up and ask them.
Aww, come on. It would be more fun to just take on apart and try.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:21 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

the brown one is from the the older 300ZX 90-94 i think. the same connector style as 3rd gen connectors. you need 300ZX injectors 95+ i believe...that will work with your 4th gen.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:27 AM
ejj

Originally Posted by DanNY
the brown one is from the the older 300ZX 90-94 i think. the same connector style as 3rd gen connectors. you need 300ZX injectors 95+ i believe...that will work with your 4th gen.
I'm aware of that. Steve (and others) think that these are the right injectors, and I was told that they were from a 95.

It could be that 99's have a different connector style...I wouldn't doubt it. I'll know for sure tomorrow night.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:24 AM

eric, i dont think those are the correct ones. Mine look just like 4gen injectors.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by ejj
I'm aware of that. Steve (and others) think that these are the right injectors, and I was told that they were from a 95.

It could be that 99's have a different connector style...I wouldn't doubt it. I'll know for sure tomorrow night.
Eric, I went home for lunch a little early because I wanted to be sure. I'm sorry to say, but my 95 Max injectors, my brown 300ZX injectors and my new purple 300ZX injectors all have the same round connector that your 99 Maxima injectors have. Furthermore, I found this: http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...de=16600-00008

which looks exactly like your injectors except for the colors. So it does look like you have the 90-94 injectors, not the 95-96 injectors.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:43 AM

im selling 95-96 tt injectors BTW...
Old 10-15-2003, 11:37 AM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

so i thought injector pulse was different for the 95-96 tt zx and thats one of the reasons why you have to use a jwt ecu in order to run them correctly or you'll run too rich. if thats the case, then why would a 99 owner be able to run these at all, especially when nissan changed so many things for the se-l.

steve
Old 10-15-2003, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by slimer
so i thought injector pulse was different for the 95-96 tt zx and thats one of the reasons why you have to use a jwt ecu in order to run them correctly or you'll run too rich. if thats the case, then why would a 99 owner be able to run these at all, especially when nissan changed so many things for the se-l.

steve
Mardigrasmax has demonstrated that the Z32 injectors are within the range of adaptibility for the A32 ecu to handle, but you have to lower base fuel pressure in order not to be too rich at idle.
Old 10-15-2003, 01:28 PM

yeah, but isnt the 99 ecu different than what matt was running?
Old 10-15-2003, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by slimer
yeah, but isnt the 99 ecu different than what matt was running?
Matt was running his stock 97 A32 ecu
Old 10-15-2003, 02:56 PM

ok, cuz im running my stock 98 and am planning on getting new injectors in the next couple of months. i do have a 96 ecu, just in case that i want to go with jwt in the near future.

steve
Old 10-15-2003, 06:11 PM
ejj

I really don't think the year of the ECU is going to matter. A stock ECU is a stock ECU.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:35 PM

I have one more thing to say about the difference in the injectors. Looking at where the the injectors are fed (side), it looks like the max injector is quite a bit lower than the 300zx one, and maybe too low for the rail to feed it. Maybe not though, i cant tell where the z injector seats on the rail. Let me know, I am interested to find out.