Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

VQ30DE internals

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 04:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

VQ30DE internals

I am posting this because I have wondered for a while about the internals on our motors. I remember seeing a 1994 Mustang GT 5.0 who's ONLY mods were forged internals - pistons, rigs, rods... dunno what else... and he was in the low 13s just from that!!! It does seem quite astronomical since those cars are in the high 14s AT BEST in stock form.

Can we get beefed up internals just like that? But what I need help with is what spec to get these custom parts built to? Or is asking for forged internals enough (with the same specs as stock internals)? Hope some of you guys have some experience with this sort of thing. It is not talked about too much on the forums.

Thanks.
Old 10-12-2003, 06:21 PM

A lot of good ideas here, but no discussion on manufacturers of internals and potential benefits (since this guy was on a budget):

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=241120
Old 10-12-2003, 07:59 PM

Those mustangs can run low 13s without even removing a valve cover or going into the engine. All it takes is bolt ons, suspension mods, weight redux and slicks. After all with a 1.7x 60' all one needs is around 98-102mph trap to run low 13s.

Originally Posted by speedemn
I am posting this because I have wondered for a while about the internals on our motors. I remember seeing a 1994 Mustang GT 5.0 who's ONLY mods were forged internals - pistons, rigs, rods... dunno what else... and he was in the low 13s just from that!!! It does seem quite astronomical since those cars are in the high 14s AT BEST in stock form.

Can we get beefed up internals just like that? But what I need help with is what spec to get these custom parts built to? Or is asking for forged internals enough (with the same specs as stock internals)? Hope some of you guys have some experience with this sort of thing. It is not talked about too much on the forums.

Thanks.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Nismo87SE
Those mustangs can run low 13s without even removing a valve cover or going into the engine. All it takes is bolt ons, suspension mods, weight redux and slicks. After all with a 1.7x 60' all one needs is around 98-102mph trap to run low 13s.
Yeah I know... but this guy worked the other way around I believe... no bolt ons and I do not think he had slicks but I could be wrong... just internals... he wanted to begin there and what he got was low 13s to begin with!

I am just looking for some leads on manufacturers for beefed up internals for the VQ30DE... that is staying NA.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by speedemn
Yeah I know... but this guy worked the other way around I believe... no bolt ons and I do not think he had slicks but I could be wrong... just internals... he wanted to begin there and what he got was low 13s to begin with!

I am just looking for some leads on manufacturers for beefed up internals for the VQ30DE... that is staying NA.

check w/nigel (turbo97se) he knows the brand, sizes and parts you need to build a maxima engine.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Deac
check w/nigel (turbo97se) he knows the brand, sizes and parts you need to build a maxima engine.
Yeah I'm hoping that he'll chime in here soon...
Old 10-14-2003, 08:45 PM

Well consider me chimed in!

There are sooooo many different choices of manufacturers available. All will be custom applications unfortunately. Pauter rods are virtually indestructable! Eagle rods are very good and I am going to use those. Pistons - Ross has made pistons, Arias has made pistons for our Maximas as far as I know. When picking your pistons be sure to state how much Si content you want in them they can clatter like crazy! You can pick dished or flat, you can also play with rod length and throw ... too many variables! Maybe some others could chime in here too. Your crank should be good up to 700+ ft-lbs of torque, your sleeves may the next weakest. Stock rods are rather sickly looking (very thin ... ridiculously thin!)

For the block, you may consider decking it since it is open deck. Don't think sleeving is necessary unless you run crazy boost! Some people o-ring, some don't bother. Is that enough of a non-answer for you

Deac, how is your beast running?

Originally Posted by Deac
Old 10-14-2003, 09:06 PM

da beast!

Originally Posted by turbo97SE
Well consider me chimed in!

There are sooooo many different choices of manufacturers available. All will be custom applications unfortunately. Pauter rods are virtually indestructable! Eagle rods are very good and I am going to use those. Pistons - Ross has made pistons, Arias has made pistons for our Maximas as far as I know. When picking your pistons be sure to state how much Si content you want in them they can clatter like crazy! You can pick dished or flat, you can also play with rod length and throw ... too many variables! Maybe some others could chime in here too. Your crank should be good up to 700+ ft-lbs of torque, your sleeves may the next weakest. Stock rods are rather sickly looking (very thin ... ridiculously thin!)

For the block, you may consider decking it since it is open deck. Don't think sleeving is necessary unless you run crazy boost! Some people o-ring, some don't bother. Is that enough of a non-answer for you

Deac, how is your beast running?

Sup Nig,

Glad to see you're still in the loop... Have'nt seen you on here lately. The car is running fine. I plan on building an engine soon so I'll be contacting you about that. Whatever happend to you're engine project? Keep us updated man!
I've never encountered any problems w/the kit itself. I'm still learning and tweaking things here and there. I just got the Greddy E-manage and were trying to figure that thing out to squeeze out a few more HP. Check y ou e-mail NIg...

Deac
Old 10-15-2003, 08:24 AM
Redlinemax Owner

when you say si content do you mean silicone content? if So then you are talking about caste not forged pistons?