Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

WSP's 3" exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 08:42 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

WSP's 3" exhaust

I know that Matt has it, but does anyone else here have it? I'm going to upgrade to 3" in the spring, and was considering attempting to build my own, but now I'm leaning toward just purchasing theirs for simplicity.

Feedback?
Old 01-28-2004, 01:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ejj
I know that Matt has it, but does anyone else here have it? I'm going to upgrade to 3" in the spring, and was considering attempting to build my own, but now I'm leaning toward just purchasing theirs for simplicity.

Feedback?
I believe sx7r has a 3" system, but I don't know if it is Warpspeed's.

I was thinking along the same lines, but I'm wondering if it is better for supercharged people to stay with a 2.5" system, since we will need 3" only at high rpm, and the tradeoff in low-mid range power might hurt us more than the high rpm gain. The turbo guys don't have to worry about that so much since they're at full boost much earlier in the rpm range. Plus just about everything I've read says that 3" is overkill for our engine size and power range. But I know Matt had significant gains with his. Of course that was boosting with nitrous.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:20 PM
ejj

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
I was thinking along the same lines, but I'm wondering if it is better for supercharged people to stay with a 2.5" system, since we will need 3" only at high rpm, and the tradeoff in low-mid range power might hurt us more than the high rpm gain. The turbo guys don't have to worry about that so much since they're at full boost much earlier in the rpm range. Plus just about everything I've read says that 3" is overkill for our engine size and power range. But I know Matt had significant gains with his. Of course that was boosting with nitrous.
Right now my cat-back is a 2.25", so I know I've got to do something.

In my mind, bigger is better. I (and I'm sure just about all us SC guys) have a hard enough time keeping the tires planted in 1st and 2nd gear. Yes, I'd loose power down low, but how often are you at 2 or 3k RPM and flooring it with traction? Not often...when (drag) racing you're landing much above that on each shift.

That seem reasonable?
Old 01-28-2004, 03:32 PM

Yep. That's how I look at it.

I bought on_alert's 3" system - installing it in a few weeks - I will report any Dyno differences since i will be Dynoing between now and then and not changing anything after that but the 3" Exhaust.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:49 PM
Ramius83

I had mine built at a local mandrel bending machine shop here in the ATL. They are called Grand Muffler. They did from the Cat-back, all aluminized piping. It is all one solid piece of piping, except for the flange before the axle. I didn't realize til the other day that it was one solid piece, no welds. It looks amazing. How much is WSP's 3" system anyways?

I gave them a 3" muffler to use and a 3" cat, they did the rest. Everything installed and done for $275.00. Not to bad eh?

Old 01-28-2004, 05:23 PM

Complete 3" system for Supercharged 95-99 Maxima or Infinity I-30

$695.00

INCLUDES:

3" MANDREL BENT ALUMINIZED STEEL Y PIPE WITH 3/8" HEADER BOLT FLANGES
Y PIPE FEATURES 3" LINED FLEX SECTION TO ELIMINATE BEES IN THE CAN SOUND
3" HIGH FLOW CATALYTIC CONVERTER AND 3" RACE PIPE
3" B PIPE WITH RESONATOR, TYPICALLY 28-30" IN LENGTH FOR MAXIMUM SOUND REDUCTION
3" MAGNAFLOW STAINLESS MUFFLER (A LITTLE LOUD) OR DYNOMAX TURBO (PRETTY QUIET)
REPORTED RESULTS ARE 27HP INCREASE OVER 2.25" SYSTEM (STILLEN)

Here you go....(Ramius83)
Old 01-28-2004, 05:41 PM

I think that is a pretty good deal.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:56 PM

I do too.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:46 PM

I noticed they offer a muffler option, how does it sound with the dynomax which is the quiter muffler? A 3" exhaust would be cool, but hopefully it's not annoyingly loud at idle. Is it a nice deep tone at WOT, like the 350Z? I just love how the 350Z sounds at WOT.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:51 PM

With out a 3" Y pipe or down pipe a 3" cat back is worthless.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:02 PM
Still Here... IM me for more..

300.6 hp with 2.5" all the way... header to muffler...
Old 01-28-2004, 08:18 PM

http://www.imagestation.com/member/j...d%3D4289150245

Check out my Vid..its short but i have full 3 inch exhaust from turbo downpipe all the way to the muffler..i have a megan gt turbo muffler..in the vid, i have the silencer in..still pretty loud...
Old 01-28-2004, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by MardiGrasMax
The one from warpspeed comes with 3 inch y-pipe.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:38 PM
Ramius83

I got that 3" down-pipe too......

Old 01-28-2004, 10:28 PM

What if the reverse y pipe is only 2 1/2, is the cat back still useless? I called warpspeed a couple of months ago about the exhaust and they said they would call me back with more details. I haven't heard from them again.

Old 01-28-2004, 10:38 PM

I'll find out in a week or so. Just had a full 3" mandrel exhaust custom done today. No cat, no resonator. The downpipe is still 2.5" simply because that's the outlet size on the turbo. I may get one of those custom flanges the Honda guys run that flares from 2.5" to 3" down the line.

Car did 256 whp and 269 torque last week on the dyno. I'm dynoing again next week, so we'll see what the new numbers are. Only change is the exhaust which was 2.5" before.

Butt dyno says it's faster, but I'll wait for the real numbers.

Old 01-28-2004, 10:57 PM

like i said, i'm getting over 300 horsepower to the axles and i'm running 2.5" pipe all the way through.

i'm also Supercharged.

If you're not going to run FI, then a 3" exhaust is wayyy toooo muchhh, it's just overkill.

Going back to my example, i'm running FI with 2.5" with no problem! I'm guessing that until I'm pushing some crazy number, like 450 hp at the axle, i'm not going to NEED to go to 3".

If you have the money to blow, go for it!

If you're looking for performance, 2.5" piping will suit you just fine.

My $0.02 says that you should invest in a good Y-pipe, like Cattman's, and a high flow cat...
Old 01-28-2004, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by HNDA ETR
like i said, i'm getting over 300 horsepower to the axles and i'm running 2.5" pipe all the way through.

i'm also Supercharged.

If you're not going to run FI, then a 3" exhaust is wayyy toooo muchhh, it's just overkill.

Going back to my example, i'm running FI with 2.5" with no problem! I'm guessing that until I'm pushing some crazy number, like 450 hp at the axle, i'm not going to NEED to go to 3".

If you have the money to blow, go for it!

If you're looking for performance, 2.5" piping will suit you just fine.

My $0.02 says that you should invest in a good Y-pipe, like Cattman's, and a high flow cat...
But since you haven't put a 3" exhaust on your car, you could be missing out on hp.

Who knows - maybe with a 3" exhaust setup you'd be at 315hp or more? The truth is - noone knows.

I am running just about the same, if not more hp than you. We'll find out when I Dyno, then when I switch to a 3" exhaust setup and Dyno again.

I think it could easily go either way.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:40 AM
Permanent Maxima.org Resident

warpspeed is 2.5 out of the manifold into a 3" collector

Originally Posted by spanishrice
The one from warpspeed comes with 3 inch y-pipe.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:40 AM
ejj

Matt, did you get in a Dyno run without the nitrous to see the difference with the exhaust with just boost?
Old 01-29-2004, 05:57 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by iansw
But since you haven't put a 3" exhaust on your car, you could be missing out on hp.

Who knows - maybe with a 3" exhaust setup you'd be at 315hp or more? The truth is - noone knows.

I am running just about the same, if not more hp than you. We'll find out when I Dyno, then when I switch to a 3" exhaust setup and Dyno again.

Yeah, but remember he is S/C'ed, not T/C'ed...

He could lose low end response do to losing exhaust energy with said 3" system. I'm sure the 3" system will help his peak HP, but hurt his area under the curve.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Quicksilver
Yeah, but remember he is S/C'ed, not T/C'ed...

He could lose low end response do to losing exhaust energy with said 3" system. I'm sure the 3" system will help his peak HP, but hurt his area under the curve.
That's my concern, too.

I think in my case it doesn't pay to go with a 3" exhaust because I'm not willing to run a free-flow muffler. I want the car to be quiet when I'm not pushing it. So I'm thinking a 2.5" catback for everyday driving, and an electric cutout for street warfare. What would be cool is to have the electric cutout operated by an rpm switch, since you don't really benefit from a free exhaust until your at mid-rpm range and higher. It would depend on how fast the cutout opens, though.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:32 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

That's my concern, too.

I think in my case it doesn't pay to go with a 3" exhaust because I'm not willing to run a free-flow muffler. I want the car to be quiet when I'm not pushing it. So I'm thinking a 2.5" catback for everyday driving, and an electric cutout for street warfare. What would be cool is to have the electric cutout operated by an rpm switch, since you don't really benefit from a free exhaust until your at mid-rpm range and higher. It would depend on how fast the cutout opens, though.

At higher gas velocities, it'd be like popping the cork on a champagne bottle, I'm sure. It would literally fly open.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:41 AM
ejj

That's my concern, too.

When I PMed Matt about it he said that he went with the Dynomax Turbo muffler because it was baffled...he said it was a lot quiter than the Magnaflow. Besides...you'd loose maybe 3-5hp with the Dynomax muffler...not a huge deal.

I'd go with the Magnaflow. on_alert had one with his turbo setup, and I really liked it.

I thought about getting a cutout too, but figured that it would just be pointless with a "free-flowing" exhaust. I wouldn't use the cat either (except come inspection time).
Old 01-29-2004, 10:38 AM

I remember someone on this board that was N/A was not losing any torque or horsepower under the curve but gaines 6-8 peak horsepower with a 2.75 inch catback.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:56 AM

IIRC I gained ~30whp peak
Old 01-29-2004, 11:58 AM

IIRC I gained ~30whp peak
With or w/o Nitrous?
Old 01-29-2004, 01:08 PM
I love lamp.

Stephen, I notice you said you might use a electronic cutout. Wouldn't that cause some turbulence in the exhaust stream when it's closed? Kinda of a newbie question I know, but I'm interested because I was thinking of doing a cutout for my car possibly.

S
Old 01-29-2004, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by iansw

'tis true...

now i'm really interested in seeing if there's a gain... when you plannin' on doin' it...?

And what do you mean "more hp than you"... you mean i'm not the most powerful max on the org?

Hmmmm..... no2, here i come...
Old 01-29-2004, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by maximase86
Stephen, I notice you said you might use a electronic cutout. Wouldn't that cause some turbulence in the exhaust stream when it's closed? Kinda of a newbie question I know, but I'm interested because I was thinking of doing a cutout for my car possibly.

S
I suppose it would create some turbulence. It would be more prevalent at high flow rates, which is when the cutout would be open, so I'm thinking it wouldn't be too much of a problem.