Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Greddy eManage installed, finally works! Pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 09:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Greddy eManage installed, finally works! Pics

Well after initially burning out coilpack#4 because of an issue that the eManage has on some nissans, I finally got the ignition harness working completely. Basically had to put a 1N5819 or 1N4007 diode on the output signal to drop the voltage down 0.7V to keep it from frying the coilpack and also avoid kickback voltage damage to the ecu.
For those who are interested in the burnt coilpack pictures:
http://www.turbofedmax.com/fullpics/.../coilpack1.jpg
http://www.turbofedmax.com/fullpics/.../coilpack2.jpg
http://www.turbofedmax.com/fullpics/.../coilpack3.jpg
http://www.turbofedmax.com/fullpics/.../coilpack4.jpg

eManage has been installed with the Airflow harness, Injector Harness, and Ignition harness. Fully working now (to my knowledge ) I messed with the ignition timing and advanced it 3degrees at idle and it definetely took it cause I heard the engine change its tune. So now time to drop in larger injectors and go to the dyno with the wideband datalogger. Im going to be logging so much crap on the dyno Im going to need 2 laptops now.

Picture of the harnesses plugged into the emange, it doesnt sit out there, its under the seat. http://www.turbofedmax.com/fullpics/...ge/emanage.jpg

Pictures of the wiring needed to be done at the ECU
http://www.turbofedmax.com/fullpics/...ge/wiring1.jpg
http://www.turbofedmax.com/fullpics/...ge/wiring2.jpg

And those of you who are interested in see how the support tool works where we can change alot of parameters are:
http://www.turbofedmax.com/fullpics/...upporttool.jpg

And lastly an example of a datalog I took. 10points to whoever see's something in the danger zone. This is a 2nd gear run to almost redline at 5psi, 60psi FP.

Dixit
Old 02-12-2004, 09:37 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Dixit, I just emailed you back...yahoo attachments isn't working right now, I'll email you the LGI file in the morning...now time for sleep! Good job man!!
Old 02-12-2004, 09:38 PM

Very cool. BTW, where did you get the diodes for the ignition harness? I've got to finish the install on mine this weekend. Basic unit is in and working, but I've got to get the injector harness in so I can install the 370's and hopefully the ignition harness. I've got a date with the dyno next wed.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:42 PM

Diodes can be found anywhere, 1N4007s are available at Radioshacks.

Dixit
Old 02-12-2004, 11:40 PM

It looks like the injectors are over the 80% DC safety level. Also if you were to log up to 6500rpm it appears that the injectors would be at over 90% DC.
Old 02-13-2004, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Nismo87SE
It looks like the injectors are over the 80% DC safety level. Also if you were to log up to 6500rpm it appears that the injectors would be at over 90% DC.
Also, it looks like your MAF voltage is getting uncomfortably close to 5V, which goes hand in hand with the high IDC.
Old 02-13-2004, 05:38 AM

Bingo. I dont know how the MAF voltage is nearing 5V already. That means going to have to get the pressure sensor soon. Dont know if this is because of 30degree temps outside or some other problem.

Also dont understand how the IDC is at 92% at 6500rpm. Im only pushing 5psi and the FP at that moment was 60psi. This is pushing me to get larger injectors quick. Also making me think how many other 5th gens are pushing 100% duty cycle on their injectors.

Dixit
Old 02-13-2004, 05:51 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

I'm not quite sure where the eManage comes into to play...

Can you eliminate the need for a J&S and AFC with it? Can it basically be the only electrical add-on that you need? Do you still need a FMU or can you cange the injector "size" much like JWT does when they re-program an ECU?
Old 02-13-2004, 05:58 AM

EJJ, You can eliminate the need for the SAFC and J&S with this. But we all know the J&S is the better timing retard unit because its a smart unit and has the ability to pull back if it senses knock per pound of boost. Where on the eManage you have to manually do the timing retard like the SAFC chart. So technically has to be done on a dyno and using a better knock sensor than the stock one. But still do-able.

You dont need an FMU with larger injectors on this unit because the eManage will trick the ecu into believing it has the same injectors thus not causing issues at startup. You basically tell it was size injectors you just dropped in and it makes a correction ratio.

Dixit
Old 02-13-2004, 06:04 AM
ejj

Originally Posted by BigDogJonx
EJJ, You can eliminate the need for the SAFC and J&S with this. But we all know the J&S is the better timing retard unit because its a smart unit and has the ability to pull back if it senses knock per pound of boost. Where on the eManage you have to manually do the timing retard like the SAFC chart. So technically has to be done on a dyno and using a better knock sensor than the stock one. But still do-able.

You dont need an FMU with larger injectors on this unit because the eManage will trick the ecu into believing it has the same injectors thus not causing issues at startup. You basically tell it was size injectors you just dropped in and it makes a correction ratio.

Dixit
So essentially, the only thing that you can't do with this that JWT does for you is change the redline?

What about upgrading to a Z32 Maf...you could then re-program your fuel map based on the new Voltage values of that maf?

Where'd you get it from?

Thanks for the info! I was sold on getting a J&S this spring..but may do something like this instead.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:10 AM

I dont know enough about this Z32 MAF swap you guys do on the 4th gens to know if it can be done seemlessly with the eManage. But I thought I remember Stephen saying that he had the Z32 and 370cc working fine without the JWT. So if thats the case, then I dont see why the eManage cant do its thing.

You can get the eManage from about about anywhere. www.mohdparts.com is your best bet on prices for a package deal.

Dixit
Old 02-13-2004, 06:28 AM
ejj

I dont know enough about this Z32 MAF swap you guys do on the 4th gens to know if it can be done seemlessly with the eManage. But I thought I remember Stephen saying that he had the Z32 and 370cc working fine without the JWT. So if thats the case, then I dont see why the eManage cant do its thing.
So...if you get the eManage pressure sensor you could do without upgrading the MAF, correct? The pressure sensor allows you to reference all you maps base off of it, right?

Sorry for all the questions.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:59 AM
Redlinemax Owner

ejj you are correct. With the Pressure sensor you will not be using the maf to read the a/f in your car . pressure sensor takes over.

DXIT YOU ARE THE MAN!!!! Thanks for everything I guess addae will come by tommorow so we can get this thing installed
Old 02-13-2004, 04:21 PM

Hey, where did you guys get the wiring diagram for the ECU? I did Shadow's base unit w/ an AFC diagram so I have no idea how to get the injectors or ignition harness in.

He can't find his Haynes manual and I guess buying another one is a last resort.
Old 02-13-2004, 04:24 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Did the RPM pick up when you advanced the timing and decrease when you retarded? ECU is shooting for a target idle, so it may fight you at idle. Would be a nice test on a dyno or at least holding a RPM and tweaking the eManage.

Time for the 510s?!? Found $900 shipped and *MAYBE* even $8XXish.
Old 02-13-2004, 04:31 PM

Also, what's with the blue tap on the boost sensor?
Old 02-13-2004, 05:02 PM

can u guys give me more info on what u guys are talkin about.some more insites..I am kind of new to devices that retards and finely tunes our vehicle. thanx for your great wisdom but you guys just left me in the dust.interested in emanagement, J&S and other computerized devises.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
Also, what's with the blue tap on the boost sensor?
Dont ask Its not in use anymore.

Also bad news, I disconnected the ignition harness again. There is still something wrong. Today noticed that under boost the car started bucking. And I would have the 1320 code in the pending. And then sometimes it would show up in the Stored section. So without doing an further damage, I disconnected it again.

I think maybe Im dropping too much voltage. Problem is the circuitry of the ignition side has to be very accurate. I think the ecu knows when the voltage going to the coil is off by even .1V

So back to looking/diagnosing. I also believe this is only an issue with 5th gens, not 4th gens.

Dixit
Old 02-13-2004, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by maxlinegtr
can u guys give me more info on what u guys are talkin about.some more insites..I am kind of new to devices that retards and finely tunes our vehicle. thanx for your great wisdom but you guys just left me in the dust.interested in emanagement, J&S and other computerized devises.
The emanage is a piggy back engine management unit.
http://www.greddy.com/products/produ...el%20computer) Shows more info on it.

J&S is a boost related timing retard unit.
http://www.jandssafeguard.com/safeguard.html Shows more info on how it works.

Dixit
Old 02-13-2004, 11:34 PM
Redlinemax Owner

Well, me and Addae tried the same thing on my car and yes we got the car running but the injector duty Cycle jumped to 100% , and the car idled eratically. we also threw code 1105. we reconnected the ignition back to stock and everything is fine now
Old 02-14-2004, 06:55 AM

When is the new ignition harness coming out?
Old 02-14-2004, 09:36 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally Posted by Redmax
Well, me and Addae tried the same thing on my car and yes we got the car running but the injector duty Cycle jumped to 100% , and the car idled eratically. we also threw code 1105. we reconnected the ignition back to stock and everything is fine now
man one day this will work....damn 99.5's its difinently somehting with ECU and the harness, cause there is no reason it would throw a code only after we installed the harness. and Dixit thanks for all the late night help too bro

ah well we had some fun last night with Mr Eclipse next time we race the Skyline

the new Greddy harness will come out once they get it to work on their own 350Z and as far as I know it hasn't been working for them either, so I'm not holding my breath on it...this whole situation is starting to turn into a "Blue Box" situation all over again
Old 02-14-2004, 12:25 PM
Redlinemax Owner

hey addae guess what, I threw the codes again today. the second one is an egr code. 1304 I reset it and the car is fine again
Old 02-16-2004, 08:18 AM

Dixit,

LONG loooong shot here, but what gap are you running on your plugs? I'm wondering if you aren't misfiring due to the "voltage delta" you're talking about.

Maybe the eMan is delaying/reducing the voltage increase for the spark to occur? I'm wondering if you drop down 0.02 of an inch to see if that makes a difference. You shouldn't run the stock gap(11mm) from what I've read. I know we have a GOOD stock ignition, but maybe the eMan is hurting its performance.

Just a thought, since it sounds like a misfire caused by the eMan. How much were you retarding it at the RPM when the misfire occured?

Dont ask Its not in use anymore.

Also bad news, I disconnected the ignition harness again. There is still something wrong. Today noticed that under boost the car started bucking. And I would have the 1320 code in the pending. And then sometimes it would show up in the Stored section. So without doing an further damage, I disconnected it again.

I think maybe Im dropping too much voltage. Problem is the circuitry of the ignition side has to be very accurate. I think the ecu knows when the voltage going to the coil is off by even .1V

So back to looking/diagnosing. I also believe this is only an issue with 5th gens, not 4th gens.

Dixit
Old 02-16-2004, 05:04 PM

Actually my plugs are gapped at .038" on 1step colder. Because Im only at 5psi boost.

At the time it was bucking the timing was all reset back to zero, I only advanced it while I was testing it. I returned the whole map to zero because didnt want to risk doing anything of that nature until I get on the rollers.

I just gotta get a digi meter that has peak/hold so I can catch how much the ecu is firing to the coil on that signal line, and then see how much the eManage is sending. I got a feeling maybe I dropped it too low.

Because the issue is that the eManage without the diodes doesnt FULLY bring the ignition coil to ground. Which caused the joker to fry the first time.

Dixit
Old 02-16-2004, 05:23 PM

I think you need to use higher quality diodes from a real electronics store, "zener" diodes. Radio shack is crap, they cause the loss of too mich voltage. Diodes are basically a "check valve" for electrical current. They do eat a little voltage, but that is not their purpose. We had the same problem with the J&S prototype, Jonh has the part number for the zener diodes, I will call him tomorrow and ask for it.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:33 PM

I actually used the EXACT same diode as the one the J&S uses. I got the model off it and bought the original one, not a knock off one. Used a 1N5819 diode. Even was same manufacturer.

Dixit
Old 02-16-2004, 05:40 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

I just gotta get a digi meter that has peak/hold so I can catch how much the ecu is firing to the coil on that signal line, and then see how much the eManage is sending. I got a feeling maybe I dropped it too low.

Because the issue is that the eManage without the diodes doesnt FULLY bring the ignition coil to ground. Which caused the joker to fry the first time.

Dixit

Does emange log spark voltage?

Can it?

Does jay's OBDII?

You may need an osciliscope to see that signal.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:42 PM

Nope, the obdii doesnt, neither does the emanage, it doesnt even show you the actual timing, only the adjustment you made. My obdii shows the timing live however.

I may need a scope, but I may be able to pick up the signal with a peak/hold digi meter, my fluke has it.

Dixit
Old 02-26-2004, 04:16 PM

1N5819 Shottky Diode is the one John use's.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by MardiGrasMax
1N5819 Shottky Diode is the one John use's.
Yeap thats what I put in. Same manufacturer too.

Dixit