Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

turbo prep question

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 10:35 PM

turbo prep question

ok now i have been tryin to search about this topic in the past, but i never was clear on a true answer....i am planning to invest in a turbo eventually, but im a little confused on what mods i should get to build up to this stage...also how do i know how much boost to run (from what i know already the condition of ur car, gas u use..etc etc helps a lot, but i need to know more obviously)....its kindof a newbie question, but i really need help in this area....aspiration is a whole new world to me...so if someone is willing to share there knowledge it would be greatly appreciated...thanks ahead of time.
Old 02-14-2004, 11:17 PM
Eat Naaawwwzzzzz

try the turbo forums. and do a lot of reading. asking for advice wont get you anywhere.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by KiLLeR2002se
try the turbo forums. and do a lot of reading. asking for advice wont get you anywhere.
i appreciate the advice, but to be honest with u...i understand that this is a redundant question...and i know nobody wants/ feels like answering it but there are a lot of people...most especially myself....who dont know a damn thing....and i believe the only and best way to learn about how i should start to learn about the turbo "steps" is asking the people who would know something about it...on a maxima site...its not like im being lazy and just askin this question without searching bc i have been searchin....but there are some many sites out there that so many different things its confusing...and it is very disheartening...so if someone could take out the time and just tell me what they know it will be greatly appreciated.
-blaise
Old 02-15-2004, 07:58 PM

Then start reading through this particular forum... see the Next thread and previous thread buttons near the bottom? Start reading through them all. Thats what i did, and it has helped me immensely...
Old 02-15-2004, 08:00 PM

not to mention... if you want help here, be a little more specific on your wants and needs. You should state your goal.. if not to us, then atleast to yourself... Like how much horsepower are you aiming for, or how much money you are willing to put in, or the time involved... I haven't set my money limit, and boy, is that hitting me hard...
Old 02-15-2004, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by ilumo
not to mention... if you want help here, be a little more specific on your wants and needs. You should state your goal.. if not to us, then atleast to yourself... Like how much horsepower are you aiming for, or how much money you are willing to put in, or the time involved... I haven't set my money limit, and boy, is that hitting me hard...
wow to be honest ur the first person to be this honest and helpful at the same time on this site...ok aside from that tonight i just realized that there was an aspirated forum when my original thread was moved from the 5th gen forum to here....but now that i know this i will def b reading up on it. to answer the questions u stated for me...im not sure exactly what i want my hp goal to be...but what i know is that i want to make this car as fast as it can be in consideration that it will still be a daily driver....money (for now) is not an issue this is definately going to be one of those long term projects....but i wouldnt expect any less...i already know there will be a lot of saving and sparing in my future but i am ready for that...ok now to be more specific for my original question, what i wanted to know was what are some easy mods that i should get out of the way in preparation for a future turbo kit....i have a full catback....but soon i was planning on getting a y pipe, a udp, and a highflow cat...what other things should i be planning on getting...i dont care about price once again i just would like an idea....thanks
-blaise
Old 02-17-2004, 06:33 AM
BUY MY CARS PLEASE!!!

imo beef up the tranny first. if you have and auto talk to NRH or do a 5 speed conversion
Old 02-17-2004, 08:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

al those mods are a wastes of money except the udp because the the whole exhaust system should/does get replaced when turboing and even the udp is a waste in my mind because the 5 hp you get is nothing when comparing the 100's of hp you get from a turbo

i agree take care of the tranny before it blowes up
Old 02-17-2004, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by subs1000w
al those mods are a wastes of money except the udp because the the whole exhaust system should/does get replaced when turboing and even the udp is a waste in my mind because the 5 hp you get is nothing when comparing the 100's of hp you get from a turbo

i agree take care of the tranny before it blowes up
ok i completely agree about beefin up the tranny, but aside from that now u got me confused isnt the turbo manifold bolted onto the exhaust manifold...and the downpipe...im guessing also to the exhaust mani...shouldnt i still be able to have the y pipe and the rest of my system?
Old 02-18-2004, 07:36 AM
BUY MY CARS PLEASE!!!

your stock headers will be cut then a new y pipe will be fabricated. it should come up in front of the motor and mount the turbo where your battery is. then the down pipe comes down and on my set up it fits in between the crossmember and the auto tranny pan. we had to cut the crossmember to make the 3" downpipe fit and beef it up to keep it strong
Old 02-18-2004, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by pawnstar12
your stock headers will be cut then a new y pipe will be fabricated. it should come up in front of the motor and mount the turbo where your battery is. then the down pipe comes down and on my set up it fits in between the crossmember and the auto tranny pan. we had to cut the crossmember to make the 3" downpipe fit and beef it up to keep it strong
could u show me some type of pictures or sumthin..if u have any...cause dude...im not following u...i dont understand y do u cut the headers when u replace them with the turbo mani.....do u have a custom kit...or a fabricated one....? im so confused
Old 02-19-2004, 05:57 AM
BUY MY CARS PLEASE!!!

ok.... do you know what a y pipe pipe looks like? it connects to each header on each bank and then it connect to the cat and then the exhaust is routed all the way back to the muffler. now since you are running a single turbo you need the part of the y pipe that has the exhaust gas from both banks to spool the turbo. there is no space to fit the turbo where the stock y pipe is placed so you need a custom one fabricated. which insted of going back to the cat it comes up infront of of the motor look on my cardomain page for pics
Old 02-19-2004, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by pawnstar12
ok.... do you know what a y pipe pipe looks like? it connects to each header on each bank and then it connect to the cat and then the exhaust is routed all the way back to the muffler. now since you are running a single turbo you need the part of the y pipe that has the exhaust gas from both banks to spool the turbo. there is no space to fit the turbo where the stock y pipe is placed so you need a custom one fabricated. which insted of going back to the cat it comes up infront of of the motor look on my cardomain page for pics
i was blind and now i can see....ok...im still a little hazy but now i see what ur saying...i appreciate it....and yea i know what a y looks like..but i thought all u would need to do is customize the actual manifolds...ie turbo mani...cause i know they come with the kits....i was lookin at the kit for the 3.5 alt and i couldnt remember seeing anything like what ur explainin to me...i didnt think u would need to do any fabricating since it is a bolt on kit....hold up i just looked a the ssr site and the 3.5 alt has a 304ss "ultimate flow" turbo headers...im guessin thats what ur talkin about
Old 02-19-2004, 02:55 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm
Old 02-19-2004, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by N34JZ
give me a little bit more credit than that...ive read that b4....and no where in there does it answer my question...i read it once more...nope nothing...i even looked up **** on google...nope still nothing....so can u please just answer the question instead of posting a link...thanks
Old 02-19-2004, 03:38 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally Posted by nocsyn
give me a little bit more credit than that...ive read that b4....and no where in there does it answer my question...i read it once more...nope nothing...i even looked up **** on google...nope still nothing....so can u please just answer the question instead of posting a link...thanks

just thought it might help, since you werent clear on the whole reverse Y setup.
Old 02-19-2004, 03:40 PM

just thought it might help, since you werent clear on the whole reverse Y setup.
i know...i wasnt tryin to be a dck...but anyways i understand the setup now but im guessin that the guy above wit the infinity (i cant remember his name) has a custom setup so thats y he had to fabricate the y....so im guessin that the turbo headers are what he did....thanks tho i appreciate the help
Old 02-19-2004, 04:04 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally Posted by nocsyn
i know...i wasnt tryin to be a dck...but anyways i understand the setup now but im guessin that the guy above wit the infinity (i cant remember his name) has a custom setup so thats y he had to fabricate the y....so im guessin that the turbo headers are what he did....thanks tho i appreciate the help

pretty much every maxima has somewhat of a custom kit, and almost all of them use the reverse Y setup because of the dual exhaust manifolds Im not really an expert on the subject but there is some good info in here http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=284454 I no its a 3rd gen thread but it applies to other gens as well

Jason
Old 02-19-2004, 05:11 PM

pretty much every maxima has somewhat of a custom kit, and almost all of them use the reverse Y setup because of the dual exhaust manifolds Im not really an expert on the subject but there is some good info in here http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=284454 I no its a 3rd gen thread but it applies to other gens as well

Jason
alright im gonna check that out... thanks