Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

3" Exhaust installed.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 05:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

3" Exhaust installed.

All the way from the Y-Pipe to the Muffler - nothing but 3"

Rest of the pics are Here.

Nice deep throaty sound at idle. Sounds like a classic Mustang almost...blub...blub....blub....

At accelleration in nuetral, it rices out pretty bad.....but under load, not at all. Deep throaty sound all the way to redline. In fact, the sound gets even deeper at redline. Drone is FAR louder than my Stillen was. However, it's a much deeper tone, and therefore easier to live with.

All in all - I'm totally digging it. I usually spin at the end of 2nd gear pretty bad. Now I actually HOP at the end of 2nd Gear at WOT. I definately feel more tq from the car. And it feels like low-end hasn't necessarily gained power, but just feels smoother as I climb the band.

Cattman Y-pipe
Carsound Cat.
Mandrel bent B-Pipe
Magnaflow 3" Muffler

Also, the "bees in a can" from my old Warpspeed Y-Pipe is completely gone.

The only problem I'm having is the B-Pipe hits the axle sometimes on bumps. It's because I have B&G Springs that sag badly in the rear and are really mushy.

I have some H&R's right next to me right now that are going on tomorrow and should fix the problem. If not, I'll have to rig a hangar of some kind.

And thanks to on_alert for the sale.
Old 02-21-2004, 06:07 PM

Looks good How high does the muffler ride above the ground? i'm thinking of going oval. My round Magnaflow is getting some mean cases of road rash
Old 02-21-2004, 06:20 PM

There's a pretty good pic of it from the side in the pics I linked to above. Check that out for ground clearance.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:18 PM
I love lamp.

I can see myself in the reflection from the muffler when I took the pic! I can fully atest to the sound. Kinda ricey in neutral, but the car sounds sweet underload. Definately got the "Don't fu ck with me smacktard!" look from the rear. The H&R's should fix that problem with the sagging and should clear up the bumping.

S
Old 02-21-2004, 07:24 PM

Awesome!, I get the bump clang from the 3" B also, just ona those things ya gotta live with.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:03 PM

The welding looks a little poor, but as long as its sealed thats fine.

Whats with the small silver section of pipe welded on the Bpipe? Its after the cat and before the first turn. Almost looks like that pipe was butt-welded instead of slip/sleeve and and then welded.

Dixit
Old 02-21-2004, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by BigDogJonx
The welding looks a little poor, but as long as its sealed thats fine.

Whats with the small silver section of pipe welded on the Bpipe? Its after the cat and before the first turn. Almost looks like that pipe was butt-welded instead of slip/sleeve and and then welded.

Dixit
To be honest, I don't know jack about welding.

The B-Pipe wasn't quite long enough to reach my Cat. So they added a section of 3" pipe there. on_alert warned me this may be the case. Also, on_alert had to cut the muffler out and caused the pipe to be cut through on each end when using a hacksaw to disassemble (he also told me this ahead of time).

So they had to fix it. I can detect no air leaks, so I'm fine with it.

IanS
Old 02-21-2004, 09:29 PM

When you say it had to be modified, why is that? Was this premade for a maxima or some other car and modified to fit?

Im a bit weary about the section they added on, in that I hope they slip/sleeved it. Cause if they simply butt-welded it (like most intake pipes) then its more chance to break. slip/sleeve is much stronger.

Dixit
Old 02-21-2004, 10:22 PM
I love lamp.

Yeah, from when I looked at it it looks butt-welded. Not much we can do about it now since it's already done.

S
Old 02-21-2004, 11:35 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

just curious what you paid to have the 3" exhaust made or how much you bought it for?
Old 02-22-2004, 07:44 AM

I bought the whole setup (Y-Pipe/Cat/B-Pipe/Muffler) for $500 shipped.

It's got a liftime warranty - so if any welds start leaking I'll just make them fix it.

It came from on_alerts Maxima. He had to hack it up a bit to get it off his car. They had to repair it. That's what I mean by "modify".
Old 02-22-2004, 01:11 PM
OG :)

is it a lot louder at idle? my friends s/c'ed IS300 has a 3" exhaust and i can hear it from a city block away at idle or low rpm.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:58 PM

No - it's a quieter deeper tone at idle compared to my Stillen. Under accelleration at idle it goes all raspy and sounds kind of nasty. But under load it sounds great!

Today we were putting my H&R's on my car (Because B&G's suck) and we had pulled the car out to the street to take pics. A lady in her 40's drove by while it was sitting there idling and said "Is that your car?" I said "yes."

She said "That sounds REALLY good."

I said - "Really, you're not being sarcastic?"

She said "No - That sounds beautiful!"

Old 02-22-2004, 08:45 PM
I love lamp.

Yeah that was cool...she talked to me first...I was like thanks...but it isn't my car. EIther way, the H&R's helped out a lot. The rear beam doesn't hit the exhaust unless there was a huge bump that ian flys over. I think the car isn't as loud at idle. Ian managed to sneak up on me yesterday and I didn't notice it like when he had the stillen exhaust.

S
Old 02-22-2004, 09:07 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Looks good..

Now DYNO!
Old 02-23-2004, 09:01 AM

Sweet, glad it worked out for you.
And I wouldnt worry about the butt welds.
Any weld-el manifold (turbo especially) is butt welded, and they take way more abuse than a tailpipe.
I never had any problems with it hitting anything on my car. I was on cattman coils, but never really went that low. They sucked anyway and were always bottoming out.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:33 AM

Yeah, well, like maximase86 said, I don't hear it unless I hit a huge dip in the road doing 30+MPH, and even then it's just a light "clunk".

Nothing to worry about now that my azz isn't sagging. And anyone who tells you B&G's won't sag in the back is not telling the whole truth. Maybe on some cars with nothing in the trunk, but in my car with a stereo (that doesn't even weigh that much) they sag like a mother.

But that's another topic.

All in all, I'm really happy to finally get my car in a condition I approve of.

Next - BBK and Z32 MAF.....

Then I'm getting back into audio for awhile. It's cheaper for me and I'll probably sell her in a year or so anyway for a G35c.

As for the Dyno, I won't be doing anything else to the car before the next Dyno so we can finally have an unbiased gauge of how much 3" exhaust alone helps.

I'm getting married next month and the next few weekends involve that - so I'll probably Dyno again sometime in April.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:54 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally Posted by iansw

I'm getting married next month and the next few weekends involve that - so I'll probably Dyno again sometime in April.

CONGRATS.. I do that next year.