Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Are JWT cams ok for forced induction?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 12:55 PM

Are JWT cams ok for forced induction?

I am thinking about dropping the JWT cams into my engine soon, I also plan on going turbo though. Are these cams ok for turbo, I have on idea why they wouldn't be but just checking.

-Chris
Old 02-26-2004, 03:43 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

I'm sure JWT would be more then happy answering that.

However, IMO I'd put the $1G or so towards getting the turbo kit.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
I'm sure JWT would be more then happy answering that.

However, IMO I'd put the $1G or so towards getting the turbo kit.
yup listen to this guy...he's da man!!!
and not only that....u will have to pay alot to install it too...if u have lots of bling bling $$ go for it.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:21 PM

Ok, this is the thing. I have a second engine that I'm rebuilding right now, and it's currently in pieces. As I put it back together it will have the following items MEVI, JWT Ecu, Bigger injectors, Headers, UDP, and any other internal engine mods I can think of at the time. So now I am at the point of putting heads together I want the JWT valve springs and thinking about getting the cams to go along with them. The only problem is, are the cams really compatable with FI or will it not make a differance?

-Chris
Old 02-26-2004, 05:24 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally Posted by SupermaxGxe
Ok, this is the thing. I have a second engine that I'm rebuilding right now, and it's currently in pieces. As I put it back together it will have the following items MEVI, JWT Ecu, Bigger injectors, Headers, UDP, and any other internal engine mods I can think of at the time. So now I am at the point of putting heads together I want the JWT valve springs and thinking about getting the cams to go along with them. The only problem is, are the cams really compatable with FI or will it not make a differance?

-Chris

Call and ask. Maybe they will grind them differently for you
Old 02-26-2004, 06:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by SupermaxGxe

-Chris
The short answer is that cams are more important for a NA engine than a boosted engine. Cams help improve volumetric efficiency of a NA engine (at certain rpm ranges at the expense of other rpm ranges), but the presence of forced induction is so much more effective at improving VE that the cams become a minor factor. Which means they really aren't a cost effective mod on a FI engine.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:47 PM

For FI you want as little overlap as possible. Stock cams have ZERO overlap, JWT has a few degrees, you loose boost with overlap. Best would be stock duration with more lift. But the JWT cams will still make more power than stock cams on the top end over stock cams, just because of the extra valve lift. If you have the $$$$ go for it, if not just crank up the boost controller 1psi more for the same effect
Old 02-27-2004, 06:55 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
The short answer is that cams are more important for a NA engine than a boosted engine. Cams help improve volumetric efficiency of a NA engine (at certain rpm ranges at the expense of other rpm ranges), but the presence of forced induction is so much more effective at improving VE that the cams become a minor factor. Which means they really aren't a cost effective mod on a FI engine.

That's absolutely false. Anything that gains HP on a N/A engine will gain more power proportionally on a boosted engine. What you have to watch for is too much valve overlap. Too much overlap causes the fuel/air mixture to just get blown out the exhaust valves without burning entirely (or at all in some instances). You'd have less area under the curve and way worse fuel mileage. You're correct that it's not a very cost effective method of gaining HP (when compared to a turbo kit, anyway), but if they give you 20 WHP N/A, then you could easily get 40+ HP from the cams when boosted. And in all honesty, it's not that hard to install cams in an OHC engine (it depends on space, and since he already has the engine out, might as well add some cams...). I've always been a huge proponent of cams...
Old 02-27-2004, 07:06 AM
Redlinemax Owner

the guy who built my engine talked to jim wolf himself who told him that it wasn't worth it
Old 02-27-2004, 07:24 AM

Jim Wolf makes me mad. Anyway, the JWT cams are regrinds right? You can always send you cams to crane or something, I am sure it would be cheaper than JWT.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Quicksilver
That's absolutely false. Anything that gains HP on a N/A engine will gain more power proportionally on a boosted engine. What you have to watch for is too much valve overlap. Too much overlap causes the fuel/air mixture to just get blown out the exhaust valves without burning entirely (or at all in some instances). You'd have less area under the curve and way worse fuel mileage. You're correct that it's not a very cost effective method of gaining HP (when compared to a turbo kit, anyway), but if they give you 20 WHP N/A, then you could easily get 40+ HP from the cams when boosted. And in all honesty, it's not that hard to install cams in an OHC engine (it depends on space, and since he already has the engine out, might as well add some cams...). I've always been a huge proponent of cams...
Well, I have no personal experience with cams in a boosted engine. I only know what certain authorities say. But you are contradicting yourself. If overlap doesn't help in a boosted engine, how are you going to get twice as much power gain (using your example) out of a boosted engine compared to a NA engine? Increased valve lift would help if it were possible to increase the lift without increasing overlap, but I think that is not possible unless you change ramp angles, which may not be possible unless the stock cam is a very poor design to begin with. So the increased overlap cancels out some of the benefit of increased lift, and I stand by my statement that cams are more important to a NA engine than to a boosted engine.

But I'm willing to be convinced otherwise, I'm not wedded to my beliefs about the subject.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:03 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
Well, I have no personal experience with cams in a boosted engine. I only know what certain authorities say. But you are contradicting yourself. If overlap doesn't help in a boosted engine, how are you going to get twice as much power gain (using your example) out of a boosted engine compared to a NA engine? Increased valve lift would help if it were possible to increase the lift without increasing overlap, but I think that is not possible unless you change ramp angles, which may not be possible unless the stock cam is a very poor design to begin with. So the increased overlap cancels out some of the benefit of increased lift, and I stand by my statement that cams are more important to a NA engine than to a boosted engine.

But I'm willing to be convinced otherwise, I'm not wedded to my beliefs about the subject.

There are literally hundreds of "turbo grind" cams out there for many different applications...from aircooled VW engines, to watercooled VW engines...all the way to small block Chevy engines. Yes they have higher lift, and yes they change the cam degree from say 112 to 108 (depends on the application). Check out any cam manufacturers products, and you'll see the differences between N/A cams and F/I cams.

EDITED for spelling
Old 02-27-2004, 09:44 AM

I totally have to agree with quicksilver. cams are pretty vital n/a or FI. whe nI was in my honda days cams were one of the benifactors for hps. with Fi induction it was one of the hardest thing to keep tune becuz of timing issues. It really depends on how hot u want u cams to be.if u want a monster of a car get a hotter cam set up. If not get the mild one. the reason why I don't think it is worth it for the max is that it is on a timing chain. time adjustment is NOT an option(manually). hondas, 300zx and others have belts. u don't want mess with the chain. if u do it is a one shot deal. to my experience it is so much harder to even think about cams on a max. not worth it unless u have money and time to throw away. my 2cent
Old 02-27-2004, 10:03 AM

Again, I say until you have FI fugggedaboutit.

Anywho, if you intend on running cams with lower CR pistons, you *DEFINITELY* must look into what the dynamic CR will be. You might drop in 8.5:1 pistons(static CR), but if you throw in some cams with too much overlap, you could lower the dynamic(ACTUAL) CR to 8:1 or lower.

Like Mardi said, you can just turn up the boost to compensate. However, when *OFF* boost, 8:1 or lower is going to be a bad idea for a street application.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:13 AM
I'm needing a caw

It's my understanding that when mild cams are used, "what's good for the goose is good for the gander". Meaning mild cams that help a na motor, will help a boosted motor. For example, gains from using a performance Y pipe on a na vs supercharged engine.

There ARE na and turbo specific cam grinds, but I don't think JWT really messed with the durations and lifts enough to get into that type of discussion.

Now the question is "is it worth the $$$". It's quite a bit of cash for whatever gains. I would imagine these cams "might" enable a turbo engine to make 8psi power with only 6psi or something along those lines. Probably would help in the reliabilty dept. As the boost rises, the increase overlap would help things. I probably wouldn't be too worried about the increased overlap/loss of lowend/boost issue. The VQ has pretty good torque and it's na compression helps things along nicely. It's not like you are going to use a HUGE turbo.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:33 PM
Lives in a 11sec maxima

Originally Posted by Redmax
the guy who built my engine talked to jim wolf himself who told him that it wasn't worth it
Thats odd i called about them when I set up my account with them and they said they would help.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:09 PM

i know fo sho it would help a z. its like right in front of u. the configration for the max....no. $1000 would not be worth it. If i wanted to sell u the cams, i would say it was worth it also.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by maxlinegtr
i know fo sho it would help a z. its like right in front of u. the configration for the max....no. $1000 would not be worth it. If i wanted to sell u the cams, i would say it was worth it also.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:38 PM

All of you pep's are talking about turbo maxima's with cams will a supercharged max have the same gains with cams to or will it not be as good.

Sorry for the stuped question!
Old 03-05-2004, 06:43 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by CiViC KiLLeR
All of you pep's are talking about turbo maxima's with cams will a supercharged max have the same gains with cams to or will it not be as good.

Sorry for the stuped question!
That's not a stupid question man. Yes, the cams will have the same basic gains N/A and more when boosted by any means, including S/C'er...
Old 03-05-2004, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1

am I wrong?...please give me ur imput....I deal with these things in honda and american cars.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:22 PM

adfa

I have no idea what you're saying in that post, therefore I can't say if you're right or wrong.