Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

2nd Gen Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 03:26 PM
I love lamp.

2nd Gen Turbo

Hopefully this doesn't invite flaming, but I may be boosting my 2nd gen. I bought a set T22's from a friend of mind who is putting a new motor into his Z32. I will be using only one T22 since someone else is interested in the 2nd turbo, and I'm not looking to be the fastest maxima. Yes I do know the T22 is a really small turbo, but I'm only going to be chugging 5-7psi boost anyway and I'm only looking for a 30-60hp gain which would be pretty good since my car isn't all that heavy to begin with (in the neighboorhood of about 3050-3150lbs). I'm looking to make my car at least somewhat comparable and a little more respectable to newer gen maximas for now, with the opportunity to upgrade to a large turbo down the road....though that is very unlikely. Now will this project be worth it.....well in many eyes, probably not, but at least I can say I have one of the more unique maxima's which is kind of nice.

Anyhow, I needed to ask a couple things, though I dunno if anyone would have knowledge of this for older motors. First off, the VG30ET of the time uses a knock sensor, where the N/A VG30E of the time does not (84-88, 89 N/A VG's were the first to receive knock sensors). As safety measure, since I will not be using the VG30ET motor, would installing a knock sensor be a good idea or not? Like I said, if I do it, it's for the safety of the motor, but then again, like the VQ, the VG is probably a dime a dozen anyway. Next, what are you other turbo guys doing for the oil return line and routing? I figure I can tap the oil pressure sending unit with a T and hook up a feed line there, but I kinda stuck on how to return it. I could have a bung welded to the oil pan , but want to get an idea of other things that can be done.

Thanks!

S
Old 03-02-2004, 03:38 PM
I'm needing a caw

I'm this close [] to ordering some u bend mandrel pipes. I need some very small radius tubing.
What are your plans for piping? All custom? For the oil drain, it just depends on how high you mount the turbo. If it's high enough, you can run a return line to the pan. If it's not, you have to run a Tilton/Westech hydraulic pump and return it to where ever you like. I'm close to ordering on of these also.
Knock sensor. Dunno I'd just run the boost low and the a/f higher. You gonna run a disc type fpr?
Old 03-02-2004, 04:30 PM
I love lamp.

Well, I may run z31 turbo manifolds, and then fab up a custom flange to connect the T22, still deciding where to keep it near the radiator or move it so it sits over the tranny. Also, I may just go out and get a cartech FMU since I'm familiar with than anything else. Probably also install a 300zx turbo or TT fuel pump as well. Still debating it since it's still a lot of work to do, and I don't quite have all the resouces to do it.

S
Old 03-02-2004, 04:34 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

if you use the VGT motor I wouldn't worry about a knock sensor at all...7.8:1 CR and low boost = no worries. if you order the VGT the stock oil feed is right there on the "front" of the block...makes life very simple

I know you've probably seen the two links in the 2nd gen forum on the turbo 2nd gen...it pretty much break EVERYTHING down. IMO if you're only going low boost, I'd boost the stock VG30 in your car and call it a night...the VGT swap is involved and then getting everything straight is another task

also if you guys ar looking for an oil feed solution, I;m using the Greddy sandwich plate, fits in between the oil filter and block and provides 2 1/8npt feeds(one gauge, one oil feed for turbo)..takes the guess work out of plumbing and/or removing ans t-ing the sensor
Old 03-02-2004, 04:36 PM
I'm needing a caw

You may want to try mtcookson's setup but I don't think he's setup is ideal. Short runners but not good flow. Idea. I'd run the Z31 manifold but maybe design a custom collector and mount it just in front of the tranny.

If I get the hang of welding, we can do it. Even if it's just spot welding the pipes for fitment and having someone finish the beads. The fabricator that does my brackets can do this type of work. In Burien though. Nice people. In reality, anyone can finish up the welds.
You got pics of the Z31 manifolds and downpipe? I need to buy another T3 down pipe. Ideas?
Old 03-02-2004, 06:56 PM

Those T22 are way to small for the VG. Your best bet is to get a Z31 T25 or T3 and call it a day. Also I suggest using a Z31T ecu/injectors, walbro fuel pump, adjustable FPR as management. When using the Z31T ecu you will have to undo the injector rewiring that nissan did from the recall and add a wire from pin #29 that runs to the knock sensor.

As for mounting the turbo you can use the Z31T oil supply lines, ex manifolds, however the o2 housing will hit the starter unless you modify it or design a new piece. Another problem is with the front engine mount, the turbo will be in the way, so you will have to get creative with it. Unfortunatly Kal's site is down and there isn't a way to see his pics. Search www.z31.com and other Z boards and try to find people parting out their cars. You should be able to score the basic parts (ecu, injectors, ex manifolds, turbo, oil/water lines) for around $400-800. The rest is fabrication on the exhaust, front engine mount, turbo piping.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:13 PM
I love lamp.

Yeah I was looking at KALSC project, but I'm forgoing the VG30ET swap for now...and rather just boost for my N/A motor, granted, it's pretty high mileage (200k), but that's nothing for the VG. If figure I should be okay anyway, it's lower compression than the VQ's as well, 9:1cr IIRC. I figure, just do low boost on my motor now, and wait for her to blow up while during that time, maybe rebuilding/building up a VG30ET. Right now, I'm still thinking about it...and how I would do it. As for the turbo, yeah I know it's small, but eventually, I'd like to upgrade to a T3, or maybe a t3/t4 hybrid.

Oh yeah, funny thing. Did you guys know that the z32 TT comes with two T-22's on the auto? I was pretty amazed myself.

Either way, I'll give you guys some of my ideas come soon what I'd like to do, have to actually run to do something as I'm typing this.

S
Old 03-03-2004, 01:24 AM
I love lamp.

Alright, thanks to Jeff, I may found a bolt on solution to going turbo on my car. There is guy selling a z31 T3 turbo, manifold, and oil lines. Basically with a few minor repiping work, I can have a bolt on turbo with the exception of fuel management, BOV, intake piping, intercooling (which I'm thinking isn't as important since I'll probably be running 4-6psi boost...though would probably still be a good idea), and some misc things (like gauges, etc). All I can say is..this is making such a project more appealing. I mean, with a stock VG30ET turbo, running at stock boost, I'll be at minimum 200hp at the crank, and since I'll be boosting an N/A motor with a little high compression, maybe sitting around 210hp at the crank. Before you guys laugh that off, keep in mind I currently only make about 135hp at the wheels, so that's quite the improvement, and the 2nd gen is a little lighter than the newer gens (also on a side note, the 2nd gen is considered a compact car and not a mid-size sedan back in it's time...pretty wierd huh?).

S
Old 03-03-2004, 07:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i bet if your at 135whp NA youll see close to 200WHP @ 6psi your car will be very FAST for a 2nd gen and proboly could see low 14's

good luck
Old 03-03-2004, 12:01 PM
I love lamp.

Yeah, low 14's would be awesome for a car that normally hangs out in the 16-17 second range...and in some cases 15 second.

S
Old 03-03-2004, 12:01 PM
I love lamp.

Yeah, low 14's would be awesome for a car that normally hangs out in the 16-17 second range...and in some cases 15 second.

S