Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Thinkin about turbo.. need some insight

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 05:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thinkin about turbo.. need some insight

Well, I've been searching the boards and reading up on this quite a bit. If I were to do it, i'd probably do the whole PFI kit. That said, I talked to a neighbor who is big into boosting cars. This is some of what he told me..
you need to know a few things... 1. what egt temp is safe for your car and where should you put the temp probe, 2. what fuel system mods will you need to do for which turbo setup, 3. what computer and sensor mods need to be done for the computer to keep up with the added air/fuel and maintain driveability, 4. what are the hp limitations of the stock engine, tranny, and rear end... dont lie to yourself.. most stock parts cant handle 350hp on most cars
you also need to think about how you are going to stop the car when you are up to speed.. stock brakes wont cut it if you are going to be driving it hard
you need to think about handling... that much power.. you gotta be able to handle with it.. or you are going to have a wreck
suspension mods a must.. for both launch and handling
you should think about exhaust... even though a turbo quiets down the exhaust.. it also needs room to breathe... which means you need to have as big an exhaust as you can fit to get the most out of your turbo setup... which means loud loud loud
everything you dont replace and leave stock... is going to break eventually.. be prepared to pay for repairing broken drivetrain parts and engine parts... and be prepared to replace them with performance parts when they break.. no sense in putting a part back in that cant handle the power
you are going to spend time tightening bolts too.. making more power means those bolts all over your car that were torqued too low from the factory are going to shake loose.. so be prepared to spend time every few weeks going over every bolt you can find and making sure they are tight
you are also going to spend alot of time checking for possible damage drivetrain/engine damage.. good to catch it early

Is all of this really true?? If I buy the whole PFI kit, what other upgrades am I looking at having to make? If all this is really true, this could be much much more expensive than originally thought to be. Can the vq30 hold that much power with stock internals? What about the tranny? How much louder will the car be??
Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Good questions. I think if you spend time in this forum reading as much as you can you'll learn a lot.

The PFI is a good kit and has been tested by several org members. I haven't heard of any serious issues with it. The VQ30 holds up under boost very well, as long as your tuning is right and you limit boost to a sensible level. Most turbo guys are running under 10 psi. Some supercharged folks are running higher levels (I'm hitting 12 psi at 7 krpm), but SC boost is easier on the engine because it occurs at higher rpm.

Since you're here in Austin, I hope you get it. I want to see it in action.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've been searching quite a bit but couldn't really find anything on the upgrading of fuel pumps etc. Also, would I have to get custom exhaust?? I need to find one of these turbos used or something.. this stuff gets expensive!
Old 03-05-2004, 04:11 PM

Ohhh... Another boost junky.... Well, as far as fuel you need the Walbro GSS342. This is a direct fuel-pump replacement for the maxima. The unit is rated for 255lph, and costs about $80-$100...

With respect to exhaust... You need a good welder if you want yours custom done.. And a place where you can get pipings cheap.. Mine are all Stainless steel, becuase the NY weather is not forgiving. Cant afford for my pipes to rust it will be expensive to replace.

Yeap it can get expensive... My kit was custom done.. Eveything cost me roughly $6500 including labor... And I still need a few odd and ends.... If money is an issue, It may be cheaper for you to go Super-Charged...

Originally Posted by mrdebtix
I've been searching quite a bit but couldn't really find anything on the upgrading of fuel pumps etc. Also, would I have to get custom exhaust?? I need to find one of these turbos used or something.. this stuff gets expensive!