Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Is it safe to be running the car untuned ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 11:04 PM

Is it safe to be running the car untuned ?

Is it safe to be running the car untuned with a 3.125 pulley?

Thanks
Chris
Old 05-21-2004, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by chris'smax

Thanks
Chris
whats up chris, it depends if you have all the goodies in place. im currently in the same boat as you. im running the 3.125 pulley and nitrous. it runs well but im nervous to really open it up because i dont know whats going on yet. but i havent had any problems and just from the way it runs it doesnt feel like its gonna blow. but i wouldn't push it too hard until you get it dyno'd.if you have the correct fuel set up and it doesnt feel strange i wouldn't worry cause with just the s/c i bang it all day long with no problem its just when i hit the switch i get nervous until i get dynod myself.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by C MAX
whats up chris, it depends if you have all the goodies in place. im currently in the same boat as you. im running the 3.125 pulley and nitrous. it runs well but im nervous to really open it up because i dont know whats going on yet. but i havent had any problems and just from the way it runs it doesnt feel like its gonna blow. but i wouldn't push it too hard until you get it dyno'd.if you have the correct fuel set up and it doesnt feel strange i wouldn't worry cause with just the s/c i bang it all day long with no problem its just when i hit the switch i get nervous until i get dynod myself.

I know what your talking about man, last night i went for my first test drive and it felt like i was driving blind because i didn't know what the hell was going on with my boost, air/fuel, temps and all that good stuff. Hopefully i can get this installed this weekend so risk for having a heart attack will go down.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've been running a 3.25 w/ a partially shredded belt since end of january...Untuned...no problems thus far. Just get those 1 step colder plugs in there!
Old 05-21-2004, 10:03 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

What FMU disc are you running?

Do yourself a favor and go borrow a fuel pressure gauge from Autozone and ghetto rig tape it to your windshield for a few test runs.

If you make sure your fuel pressure at WOT is what people with SCs(I don't know or I'd tell ya) run, you'll be alright.

Just don't be doing LOOOONG WOT runs without an EGT.

Thanks
Chris
Old 05-21-2004, 10:15 AM

One more thing you need to VERIFY your T-Rex fuel pump is ON. Sometimes bad wiring causes it to not turn on and people don't even realize it, since they don't have an incab fuel pressure gauge.

Also, look into the HOBBS Switch mod, I believe, to make the T-Rex aux fuel pump stay on all the time vs. just with boost. OGs seem to go that way.
Old 05-21-2004, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
One more thing you need to VERIFY your T-Rex fuel pump is ON. Sometimes bad wiring causes it to not turn on and people don't even realize it, since they don't have an incab fuel pressure gauge.

Also, look into the HOBBS Switch mod, I believe, to make the T-Rex aux fuel pump stay on all the time vs. just with boost. OGs seem to go that way.

I am running the vortech FMU w/ the auxilary fuel pump wired to run constantly.
Should that keep me from running lean or do i need the walboro in tank fuel pump.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:08 AM

Do you know what ratio disk is inside the FMU though? 12:1, 10:1, 8:1, etc.?

The T-Rex is supposedly adequate for fuel, but for $80 or so off eBay or the internet...a Walbro GSS342 would be GOOD insurance.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:53 AM

Not sure what ratio the disk has, but talkin to Jay25 he said it may not be a good idea to switch to a walboro because of the fact that if it goes out "I will be stuck like chuck in the middle of nowhere" . But if the auxilary goes out i will still be able to drive my car. Also does the walboro cause some people to have to tune down there fuel ratio because of running to rich?
Old 05-21-2004, 12:05 PM

I wasn't suggesting removing the TRex, but running both. Inline pumps can only force what fuel the in-tank pump can provide. You can have the fuel pressure, but not enough volume. 3.125 is 11psi, right? That's pretty high, so you're going to need the fuel.

Yeah, the Walbro will make your car run rich, but that's not bad, too a point, and you can compensate by running a smaller disc, ie a 6:1 vs. a 8:1. Or some people toss the Vortech and go with a Cartech FMU, so they can just adjust with the turn of a screw vs. buying/swapping discs.

Not sure what ratio the disk has, but talkin to Jay25 he said it may not be a good idea to switch to a walboro because of the fact that if it goes out "I will be stuck like chuck in the middle of nowhere" . But if the auxilary goes out i will still be able to drive my car. Also does the walboro cause some people to have to tune down there fuel ratio because of running to rich?
Old 05-21-2004, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
I wasn't suggesting removing the TRex, but running both. Inline pumps can only force what fuel the in-tank pump can provide. You can have the fuel pressure, but not enough volume. 3.125 is 11psi, right? That's pretty high, so you're going to need the fuel.

Yeah, the Walbro will make your car run rich, but that's not bad, too a point, and you can compensate by running a smaller disc, ie a 6:1 vs. a 8:1. Or some people toss the Vortech and go with a Cartech FMU, so they can just adjust with the turn of a screw vs. buying/swapping discs.

Yea i just found out that the vortech fmu is a 8:1. That is what i planned on doing was to get the walboro and keep the vortech.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My Walbro flakes out on me under 1/4 tank if I don't have the T-Rex on.

So I just leave the T-Rex on all the time....problem solved.

Mostly I've just been too lazy to fix the Walbro anyway. I've had a new one sitting on my desk for like 4 months.
Old 05-22-2004, 09:03 AM
Sports Button FTW

been running 3.125 untuned for a little over a month now, i've been getting fuel bank rich codes a lot but friends tell me i just need to clear those out....i tried using some specs from previous threads to tune myself but still not properly tuned yet...and i've been racing. my FP goes up to about 91-94 at WOT
Old 05-22-2004, 09:51 AM

Ok so the question still remains if i have my auxilary fuel pump running constantly with a 8:1 fmu disk and running a 3.125 pulley, do I need the walboro or is it just for insurance?

I plan on getting I just want to know if this is something I need right away?

Thanks for all the input
Chris
Old 05-22-2004, 10:56 AM
OG :)

Originally Posted by meccanoble
been running 3.125 untuned for a little over a month now, i've been getting fuel bank rich codes a lot but friends tell me i just need to clear those out....i tried using some specs from previous threads to tune myself but still not properly tuned yet...and i've been racing. my FP goes up to about 91-94 at WOT
is that a safe FP? what are your EGT's like?

-K, running a 3.125