Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

This has probly been discussed before...but

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 03:12 PM
UCF Lexus

This has probly been discussed before...but

I know most stock and/or aftermarket turbos can bolt up to the exhaust manifold. Eclipse's, Hondas, Evos......yadda yadda yadda.

For a turbo to fit, say on the FRONT exhaust manifold of a Maxima, what would be the MAJOR issues of it not being a kit? Has it been attempted?

Someone said sx7r's is somewhere down there, but I've never seen pics of it. Would it have to be a VERY small turbo or would it just not work for the pipes to reach it?

Also, with the PFI kit and other kits for the Max, does the Y pipe necessarily HAVE to be the "U" shape? Cant it just come to a collector and shoot right up from behind and to the right of the intake manifold (if you're looking at the engine bay from in front of the vehicle)?
Old 06-08-2004, 03:40 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally Posted by bijan gxe
I know most stock and/or aftermarket turbos can bolt up to the exhaust manifold. Eclipse's, Hondas, Evos......yadda yadda yadda.

For a turbo to fit, say on the FRONT exhaust manifold of a Maxima, what would be the MAJOR issues of it not being a kit? Has it been attempted?
Ok I'll be easy on you since I like ya. It NOT being a kit makes no sense. Do you mean not being able to fit?

If you mean fit, you need to make a pipe that bolts to the manifold and then the side of the turbo. It could be 3 inches in length. Now, for it to clear the other stuff, size of the turbo matters.

Also you don't want ot run it off of only 3 cylinders. NOT to my knowledge

Someone said sx7r's is somewhere down there, but I've never seen pics of it. Would it have to be a VERY small turbo or would it just not work for the pipes to reach it?
Pics of his car
http://www.turbomaxima.com/modules.p...view_album.php

That should help you understand a little

Also, with the PFI kit and other kits for the Max, does the Y pipe necessarily HAVE to be the "U" shape? Cant it just come to a collector and shoot right up from behind and to the right of the intake manifold (if you're looking at the engine bay from in front of the vehicle)?

Somone is trying something like that. I have not heard anything from them in a while. There is ALL sorts of stuff back behind the engine. The is VERY little room between the firewall and the intake manifold. Also HEAT is what your forgeting.

Coming forward is the best way, IMHO. I just don't have the $$ or time to get it done right.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:47 PM
UCF Lexus

When I say "KIT" I mean like the whole 9 yards. (like the PFI KIT....all pipes and i/c included)

I understand that of not running a turbo off 3 cylinders only....but it seems like that's done on a LOT of applications. I guess it's cuz they're built stock w/ turbos. (dump trucks etc...)
Old 06-08-2004, 06:08 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

When I say "KIT" I mean like the whole 9 yards. (like the PFI KIT....all pipes and i/c included)

I understand that of not running a turbo off 3 cylinders only....but it seems like that's done on a LOT of applications. I guess it's cuz they're built stock w/ turbos. (dump trucks etc...)

Ok, I'll apporach this as the 3 cyl kit question.

the turbo would have to be small for spool up and for fitment. I'm guessing that you could not use the same size t3/t4 I have.

I'm not saying it would not work and I am not saying it won't make power. Then the exhaust of the turbo would have to meet the exhaust of the other 3 cylinders.

That could cause a problem, OR not. I am not educated enough to give a good answer on that.

I did not know dump trucks only used 3clyinders. I don't work on them or know anybody with one. But, they are diesel correct? If they are diesel, they can run 40 lbs of boost.

So that right there is an advantage over our cars.

If you can get a t25/28 for cheap it may be worth trying. 350 WHP is good enough to be fast.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:17 PM

I dont have the U shape bend for my turbo feed pipe..i know what your talking about..mine comes from the two manifolds into a collector than goes right up to the turbo..as you see in my sig pic...closely...
Old 06-08-2004, 06:37 PM
UCF Lexus

Ha, Kirk there's actually a Garrett turbo just sittin on the floor at work. Been sittin there since I started there. Dunno if it can be re-furbished. But I might ask Buster for it

MAxuntuned......yea - your (what's it called?) pipe is the one I was making an example of. Do you have a pic of it before it went on?
Old 06-08-2004, 08:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by bags533
If they are diesel, they can run 40 lbs of boost.
even more on a lot of them... some of the semi's run something like 100 lbs. of boost or more

have you guys ever tried a crossover pipe setup? i know on the older Z's that used them the stock manifolds have been proven to support 400 whp and more. i'm sure you guys could get the same results or better with a custom crossover pipe setup instead of the crazy y-pipe one. probably even get better spool times.
Old 06-09-2004, 05:39 AM

The turbo feed pipe is the one where the o2 sensor is...
is that what your talking about bijangxe??

The 2 manifolds come together to a collector than up to the turbo...
Old 06-09-2004, 08:23 AM
I love lamp.

I was gonna say, if you want to mount a turbo on the front manifold, your going to have to design some sort of crossover pipe like the 2nd gen max's, and z31 300zx n/a and turbos do. No sense just having only 3 cylinders drive the turbo on a 6 cylinder car.

S
Old 06-09-2004, 12:38 PM
UCF Lexus

Originally Posted by maximase86
No sense just having only 3 cylinders drive the turbo on a 6 cylinder car.

S

Well yea - I look at it that way......but then I ask myself what sense does it make running a turbo off 4 cylinders on an 8 cylinder vehicle? Is diesel the ONLY factor?
Old 06-09-2004, 03:16 PM

Ha, Kirk there's actually a Garrett turbo just sittin on the floor at work. Been sittin there since I started there. Dunno if it can be re-furbished. But I might ask Buster for it

MAxuntuned......yea - your (what's it called?) pipe is the one I was making an example of. Do you have a pic of it before it went on?
Hell I am sure buster could do all the piping to make it work or make
a kit for your car. He did Shankin's turbo lx and alot of other people's
turbo piping for the guy's on the SRF's.
Old 06-09-2004, 05:25 PM
UCF Lexus

Ohh.....shankin is the turbo LX....hah,

Yea Calvin and Buster can do almost anything..too bad I aint gona be there much longer.