Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

A year in the making......

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 01:48 PM

A year in the making......

Well, after a year of set backs, graduating college, and getting a full-time job; I finally installed the ol V1 blower on my max. For those of you who don't know, I got screwed by the person who sold me the kit when I did not receive the modified thermostat housing with it. Granted I bought the kit used and very cheap, it still was unsettling to know that I was either gonna have to spend a ton of money to get it running because stillen wouldnt make me another one or sell it to break even. After a few months I figured I'd just make my own thermostat housing. No easy task I assure you cause welding and cast aluminum dont like eachother very much, especially the crappy cast that nissan uses to make the housings. Going off of blind intuition (never saw the housing before), I started to piece together a housing made out of 2 cut up stock housings. This looked ok but came nowhere close to fitting. Version 2 used 3 housings but still did not fit. Version 3 also had fittment issues but my brother and I were on the verge of making it fit when one of the welds broke. This version at least gave me the basis for Version 4 which used 4 housings for. I finally yielded to a more experienced TIG welder for this one and it fit perfectly, but alas the welds still had unseen pin holes in them. JB weld to the rescue tho and after a test fit, it was time to install the rest of the pieces.

The set up:
-Silvia 370cc injectors
-V1 blower w/3.25 pulley
-SARD FPR, 4:1 FMU disk
-VAFC2 to activate the Variable Intake and better tune the A/F curve

I will be installing the CAI on a later date, had to be out of my bro's shop by a certain time. And oh yea, picking up my 04 EVO this friday
Old 06-10-2004, 01:52 PM

PICS

Old 06-10-2004, 01:53 PM

Thermohousing

Old 06-10-2004, 02:21 PM

Glad to see you got it up and running bro...setup looks great !
Old 06-11-2004, 12:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Do you have a wiring diagram for the VAFC? I just got one and I can't find a diagram to install it.
Old 06-11-2004, 03:58 PM

How do you like the sound of the V1 blower ??

Im waiting to get my V1 back from Vortech and then it goes in ..I still have to peice together all the fuel lines I need, a new belt, some other little things but Im almost ready...other than waiting for the blower back, Ive been busy with surgary and stuff so it wouldnt have made a difference..

Where in NJ are you located ?? Im in Northern NJ...any chance ya wanna get your hands dirty ??

any chance you can take a pic of the top of the blower...I wanna see how your pulley sits..and maybe a pic of the pulley thats on the blower..thanks

-matt
Old 06-11-2004, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by matty
How do you like the sound of the V1 blower ??

Im waiting to get my V1 back from Vortech and then it goes in ..I still have to peice together all the fuel lines I need, a new belt, some other little things but Im almost ready...other than waiting for the blower back, Ive been busy with surgary and stuff so it wouldnt have made a difference..

Where in NJ are you located ?? Im in Northern NJ...any chance ya wanna get your hands dirty ??

any chance you can take a pic of the top of the blower...I wanna see how your pulley sits..and maybe a pic of the pulley thats on the blower..thanks

-matt
Luv the sound and the feel. Still gotta tighten my bov up a lil more tho cause boost is spikin around 7ish. I also recommend a SAFC or VAFC (if you have a VI) to better tune the A/F ratios. It made a world of difference with my car since it was bogging down between 2K to about 5K.

I am located in Southern Jersey but if ya want some help with anything, just let me know. I'll also get some pics to you of the pulley position; it is extremly close to the timing cover.

Here's a PIC of my new toy for now......
Old 06-11-2004, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by spanishrice
Do you have a wiring diagram for the VAFC? I just got one and I can't find a diagram to install it.
Red (both) - Power
Black, Brown - Ground (brown splices closest to ECM, black splices 1 cm away)
Green - RPM
Gray - Throttle Signal
Pink - VTEC solenoid signal output (use to activate positive on vacuum solenoid for VI)
Yellow - Pressure Signal Output (MAF sensor, cut ECM wire and connect to ECM side)
White - Pressure Signal Input (MAF sensor, connect to Signal side)

Any more questions just let me know.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:10 AM

Sweet, thanks man. I will hopefully be getiing a Mevi by the end of the summer. So you have to extend the pink wire through the firewall to the vacuum solenoid? That sucks, where do you extend the wire through? What are you plans for the EVO?
Old 06-13-2004, 09:25 AM

Sweet, thanks man. I will hopefully be getiing a Mevi by the end of the summer. So you have to extend the pink wire through the firewall to the vacuum solenoid? That sucks, where do you extend the wire through? What are you plans for the EVO?

NP bro. Yes, I extended the pink wire through the firewall but its not as hard as it seems. There is a rubber plug on the wall closest to the drivers side (left of the brake booster) set down about 4-6 inches. Just pop that plug out of the wall, fish an old wire coat hanger in there, tape the wire to it then pull it through. As for puttin the plug back in, just cut a slit in it and slide it over the wire back into its spot.

My plans for the EVO are to do suspension while I am breaking it in. After about 1500 miles then the madness begins with an HKS Supersuction intake, Helix 3" downpipe, and a 3" catback that I havent decided yet. Next I will send the computer out to Visnu Performance and have it flashed. After that is undecided, but for now I think thats a healthy goal.
Old 06-13-2004, 11:11 AM

Awsome man. Thanks a lot. Which car do you think is faster the stock EVO or the maxima with the supercharger?
Old 06-14-2004, 05:22 AM

Awsome man. Thanks a lot. Which car do you think is faster the stock EVO or the maxima with the supercharger?
It's a hard call cause the EVO def has the Maxima beat on torque right now. The turbo also produces boost at a lower range then the when the charger really kicks in so I'd have to say from a slow roll, the EVO wins. But from a fast roll, the Max may be able to pull it out, but barely.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:51 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by KMax2988
NP bro. Yes, I extended the pink wire through the firewall but its not as hard as it seems. There is a rubber plug on the wall closest to the drivers side (left of the brake booster) set down about 4-6 inches. Just pop that plug out of the wall, fish an old wire coat hanger in there, tape the wire to it then pull it through. As for puttin the plug back in, just cut a slit in it and slide it over the wire back into its spot.

My plans for the EVO are to do suspension while I am breaking it in. After about 1500 miles then the madness begins with an HKS Supersuction intake, Helix 3" downpipe, and a 3" catback that I havent decided yet. Next I will send the computer out to Visnu Performance and have it flashed. After that is undecided, but for now I think thats a healthy goal.

I wouldn't mess with the suspension just yet (on the EVO Viii). Most of the aftermarket stuff actually makes the car handle worse than stock. You have to combine the proper suspension parts, struts, and sway bars to get it to work right. Short of the all out race stuff (which would kill you driving on the street), nothing else works as well as stock. The Mitsubishi off road suspension works great (if you want more clearance for off road stuff)...
Old 06-14-2004, 07:42 PM
OG :)

Do you plan to keep both cars?
Old 06-15-2004, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Kenneth
Do you plan to keep both cars?
Yup sir, always wanted 2 cars
Old 06-15-2004, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Quicksilver
I wouldn't mess with the suspension just yet (on the EVO Viii). Most of the aftermarket stuff actually makes the car handle worse than stock. You have to combine the proper suspension parts, struts, and sway bars to get it to work right. Short of the all out race stuff (which would kill you driving on the street), nothing else works as well as stock. The Mitsubishi off road suspension works great (if you want more clearance for off road stuff)...
Cool, thanks for the info. I did notice my buddies EVO seemed the same when he put Tein springs on it though so I was plannin on using them. I was looking at other manufactures but now that u say that I think I might just use Tein. His car is completely neutral in turns and pulls serious G's (hehe, took a posted 25mph 90 degree off ramp at 90mph in total control; that was one of the moments I realized I had to have that car).
Old 06-27-2004, 05:56 AM

Congrats man! You gotta take me for a spin in that... BOTH the S/C max and EVo... It also came down to a Evo, STI, or Cobra for my final decision on a new car. I still have that tinge of regret that I didnt get an EVO though, haha.