Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

question on piping strategy for custom turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 03:21 PM

question on piping strategy for custom turbo

ive done my research on building my own turbo kit and i am by no means claiming to know everything but the search doesnt work for me (it just gives an error, but it used to say only donating members can search...) so i really am only limited to looking at every page one by one for relevant information. my question relates to the piping strategy on most of the turbo kits ive seen. it seems as if everyone uses the stock manifolds (correct me if im wrong) and then reroutes the downpipe up to where the turbo will be placed and then have a second downpipe coming off the turbo to the exhaust. i wouldnt consider this the most efficient way to spool a turbo but im assuming space limitations is the cause for this design. anyways, the piping seems simple enough to make especially since i dont have make manifolds (unless im mistaken) so i was thinking, why combine the exhaust from both manifolds to feed one turbo when one can use each one independantly to spool two seperate turbos.

well, i know that you guys have heard of many people asking bull**** questions on twin turboing their cars, and i have also seen too many of those threads. but, i feel i may be able to create enough space to fit what i want so im trying to see if it will work. the main issue is whether or not the exhaust from each manifold will have enough power to spool two seperate turbos independantly... the firing order will have to be taken into effect, and also the length of the exhaust manifold runners. i dont know these two variables and if they would correlate well enough so i could spool a turbo off each one so im asking if any of you guys know if its possible. disregard the fitment problems, im just doing preliminary thinking here. im quite learned in 3d graphics and i will be creating a replica of the engine bay to scale so i can work with fitment solutions in the computer rather then in real life. i dont want to waste all my time though if its not mechanically possible to spool the turbos so i need your guys' assistance with this.

im buying a welder this week and i plan on fabbing everything myself - whether its a normal single turbo setup or a twin turbo one (im not having high hopes, but i want to give it a try). i bought a 300zx about 2 years ago and since then ive run through 2 motors and im saving up to build a third one up and put it in. i have 4 of the t22's off of it and im thinking about using them on the maxima. this is, if it is feesable to create the setup. i hope someone here is able to assist me because i relly think i might be able to fit those tiny things into my car, i have several ideas right now to create space but i dont want to do anything until i know it will work. thanks for the help guys, this site has been such a valuable asset to me for several years and im sure it will continue to be
Old 06-21-2004, 04:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Go to www.turbomaxima.com and look at the gallery. Look up tilleys DET in the gallery section. Look how his manifold are. Routing the manifolds towards the battery you would be able to run small turbos like those t22's. I don't think the lenght would effect spool that much since our maximas have plenty of torque. The downpipe would be hard you would have to make a Y downpipe. It just gets very busy and congested. When you route the manifolds towards the right going towards the battery you have fuel lines and other things that can melt. You would also have to make a Y pipe for the intercooler piping. I think you should try especially if you are doing it yourself. Good luck I am sure some one else will chime in later.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:53 PM

anyone else? does each manifold produce a steady enough exhaust flow to spool a small turbo smoothly by itself?
Old 06-22-2004, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by slammed95
Quick answer: It's not worth it.

The turbo's will spool fine. Maybe even quicker than on the Z since we have higher compression. Consider the fact that you need to have 2 turbo feed pipes, 2 down pipes (that will probably merge), 2 intake pipes (merged and possibly drawing through a single maf, or not merged and have the maf one just one turbo and have the ecu programmed for 1/2 the airflow reading) 2 turbo outputs to the intercooler, etc... You're gonna need 2 of almost everything, and will have a very hot engine bay.
At first it may sound like a good idea to have a TT setup, but after really planning everything, you'll realize it's a PITA and not worth it. Whether you decide to go twin or single turbo, you definitely should have exhaust manifolds made to make pipe routing easier, and provide quicker spool.
Contact http://www.speedforceracing.com and they'll make you some nice manifolds.
They made these: http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...9/DSCN3404.JPG and after 6 months they're holding up fine and looking beautiful!
Wow those are pretty. That is a front maxima manifold. Any more pictures and prices?
Old 06-22-2004, 11:19 PM

As far a spooling goes, Dynamler Chrystler has found that the most efficient pulse patterns to spool a turbo, are from Two or Three cylinders. so, it will deffinitely work to spool two turbos. This pulse pattern is the reason that I'm building my own headers, similar to Tileys DET, and feeding them into each side of my split exhaust turbine. Sure it's a really big, full T4, but I'm doing all I can to help spool-up. This may be your best option, use a split turbine housing, and feed each bank into either side of the housing.

Nate
Old 06-23-2004, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by nateplaysbass
As far a spooling goes, Dynamler Chrystler has found that the most efficient pulse patterns to spool a turbo, are from Two or Three cylinders. so, it will deffinitely work to spool two turbos. This pulse pattern is the reason that I'm building my own headers, similar to Tileys DET, and feeding them into each side of my split exhaust turbine. Sure it's a really big, full T4, but I'm doing all I can to help spool-up. This may be your best option, use a split turbine housing, and feed each bank into either side of the housing.

Nate
Can't wait to see it.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:29 PM
Redlinemax Owner

Originally Posted by slammed95
Quick answer: It's not worth it.

At first it may sound like a good idea to have a TT setup, but after really planning everything, you'll realize it's a PITA and not worth it. Whether you decide to go twin or single turbo, you definitely should have exhaust manifolds made to make pipe routing easier, and provide quicker spool.
Contact http://www.speedforceracing.com and they'll make you some nice manifolds.
They made these: http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...9/DSCN3404.JPG and after 6 months they're holding up fine and looking beautiful!

I just called them and they said they don't make them for the max