Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

roots type s/c ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 06:48 PM
mjk
Head shot!!!

roots type s/c ??

anybody running a custom roots s/c. Lets say the type that a gtp runs with custom piping?
Old 08-19-2004, 05:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by mjk
anybody running a custom roots s/c. Lets say the type that a gtp runs with custom piping?

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=261230
Old 08-19-2004, 10:26 AM
mjk
Head shot!!!

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
thanx alot
Old 09-07-2004, 05:21 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

I miss those days.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:09 PM

not to say the work and the idea was bad because it was far from it but in the end, a turbo is the all around best unit for forced induction. basically, it has the most potential and has the highest efficiency of all forced induction units.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:28 PM
Hooooooonda.....

That's great but it doesn't give back all the low-end I lost with cams, mevi and whatever other mod that takes away low-end power. With the roots you got boost almost immediately off idle. I'm guessing it falls off towards the end but that's what the top-end mods are for. I could get a tiny turbo to spool up at 2k rpm but wouldn't that lose power at like 4k?
Old 09-07-2004, 09:13 PM

depends what you want... if you're going to race you aren't going to shift early in the rpms to drop it down to 2000 rpm. you're going to shift at redline which drops it down to say 4500 rpm or so (wild guess). with a roots you tend to lose some boost in the higher end which wouldn't make sense if you're going to race. with a turbo you'll have full boost throughout the upper rpm range.

also, it depends on your turbo setup. there are some very nice setups out there now that will allow very low spooling yet retain top end power. i.e. garrett gt ball bearing turbo.

if you're just wanting something to drive around town with and never think about racing a roots probably wouldn't be too bad. gas mileage might suffer since the s/c spins per the engine's rpm compared to the turbo spinning per how much exhaust is flowing through.

anyone know if a roots would actually ever allow vacuum at partial throttle since it will always be spinning at a certain speed according to the rpm's? that's something interesting that i've never thought of nor heard of before.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:35 AM
mjk
Head shot!!!

QUOTE=Craig Mack]I miss those days. /QUOTE

Old 09-08-2004, 08:03 AM
Give me a Bud Light Holmes

i miss ur car craig mack
Old 09-08-2004, 06:35 PM
Hooooooonda.....

You're my hero.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by DAVE Sz
You're my hero.

Craig deserves a lot of credit for doing the roots blower install (or at least bankrolling the project), but it would have helped the Maxima community so much more if he could have documented the project and left a path for the rest of us to go down. Unfortunately, because of his accident, we don't really know much about how it was done at all. All we have is a few pictures to give a general idea of where the roots blower was mounted. We don't know much, if anything, about how it was mounted. So to duplicate his effort we pretty much have to start over from scratch.

Craig, if you're reading this, I love ya man. I don't mean any disrespect.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:36 PM
mjk
Head shot!!!

Craig deserves a lot of credit for doing the roots blower install (or at least bankrolling the project), but it would have helped the Maxima community so much more if he could have documented the project and left a path for the rest of us to go down. Unfortunately, because of his accident, we don't really know much about how it was done at all. All we have is a few pictures to give a general idea of where the roots blower was mounted. We don't know much, if anything, about how it was mounted. So to duplicate his effort we pretty much have to start over from scratch.

i dunno about u, but i've seen two threads explaining the whole thing....

=P
Old 09-10-2004, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by mjk
i dunno about u, but i've seen two threads explaining the whole thing....

=P
Sure, I've read them both and participated in at least one of them. What I was talking about was specifics, though, not just a general "look what I did" type of thread. I'd like to know exactly how the blower was mounted, how the nose bearing was mounted, what the interface between the blower and the intake looked like, etc. The problem, of course, is that Craig had somebody else do it, so he himself is not too clear about such details. The pictures he did take help some and are of value, and at least we know from Craig's experience that the throttle body has to be repositioned.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:30 AM
mjk
Head shot!!!

at least we know from Craig's experience that the throttle body has to be repositioned.
he ended up putting a recirculation thing on there, though. Cause it was much less expensive than moving the tb.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by sagamax
i miss ur car craig mack
So do I. I love the Cobra, its a totally different experience, but God I miss the Maxima. Lots of memories and TONS of work put into it.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:51 PM

Whats up Stephen? We had some good email discussions about intercoolers for the Vortech setup.

There is no way I would ever try to attempt building a roots system from scratch. First of all I'm a 19 (18 at the time) year old n00b. Secondly, I simply don't have the tools or time. My old boost guy did all my work. He spent countless hours taking tons of measurements, brainstorming, etc. Everything was very well thought out. All the parts were manufactored to spec. He custom build everything or had it built by other specific shops, including the mounting bracket. It was a LONG project (took 4+ weeks) but was an awesome one.

I had bugs to fix. Before the accident, I had ditched the BOV for a bypass valve, and richened the fuel mixture under 1k rpm +30%. This smoothed out the idle, muffled the horribly loud idle noise significantly, and smoothed out 80% of the stuttering at mid 2k rpm. Everything was going awesome. But as I pulled off the highway, my belt shredded to peices, and the cam sensor kept coming off. Then BOOM, nailed by a Honda, and it was all over.

Anyways, I saw 5-6psi by 2000rpm, and ~7.5psi by 2500rpm. Boost built straight off idle. I definately remember feeling a smooth, strong bump in lower RPM power, especially on the highway in 5th gear. Peak HP was surely not up to par with the Vortech @10psi, but I was planning on upping the boost and porting the blower.

Turbocharging is nice, but it gets really expensive. $5000 for an intercooled turbocharger setup after installation and everything seems like a fair guestimate. I payed $2000 + blower for my setup. As some of you guys may recall I was also obsessed with roots superchargers so I mean it was the obvious choice.

I do wish I could have given more technical information on it. If I had not gotten into the accident I know that Tom (my boost guy) would have written down the technical feedback for the manufactoring and install. Actually, I think he was planning on producing a bunch as a kit and selling them, had I not gotten into the wreck.

I remember in the beginning, almost everyone was against me, telling me its not going to work. Well, it took an 18 year old 2 grand and a month to become the first known roots supercharged Max and to prove to everyone that it could be done.

I'll step off my soap box now.
Old 09-11-2004, 12:49 AM
mjk
Head shot!!!

niice

maybe your boost guy should visit the org so that we could "chat" with him. by chat i mean convince him to build that kit
Old 09-12-2004, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by mjk
niice

maybe your boost guy should visit the org so that we could "chat" with him. by chat i mean convince him to build that kit
He was making a transition to becoming a real estate agent. Said he was sick of the crappy pay of his current job. So I think he's long gone and outta town by now.