Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Turbo Experts Please help me out (Read Inside)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 02:44 PM

Turbo Experts Please help me out (Read Inside)

I am going to be purchasing a Turbo kit soon. I want to make sure i get it right 100%. My car has the following modifications so far.

Cattman Headers
Cattman Y-pipe 2.5
Random Technology Cat 2.5
Stillen B-pipe 2.5
Stillen Muffler
Stillen Pop-Charger Intake
Middle Eastern Variable Intake Manifold
Tokico Illumina adjustable Shocks
Stillen Front Strut-bar
Stillen Rear Strut-bar
Stillen Rear Sway-bar
Eibach Springs (1.5” Drop)
AP 13" 4 piston Big Brake Kit
Stillen Slotted Rotors Rear
Matrix Kevlar Pads Rear
Stillen Brake lines
Motul Brake fluid
Redline MT-90 Transmission Fluid
ACT Stage 1 Street Clutch
Fidenzia Flywheel

Basically i want to make sure i get the right turbo kit, Best quality and safest.

I definatly need a FMU or SAFC and a full fuel delivery system.

Can somone tell me what the best kit to buy would be and also how i should go about the fuel delivery system. Should i use the turbo kits or should i go full stand alone?? please can somone explain my options ect ect....

thanks in advance.
Old 08-22-2004, 02:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Most of your exhaust parts are not even going to be used, that's one thing that sucks. You should be running a 3" straight through exhaust.
Old 08-22-2004, 02:50 PM

yeah i know :(

yeah i know that , that is why my original plan was going to be to supercharge it. but latley i been thinking i may as well turbo it because once i upgrade everything that doesnt come with the V2 kit it will cost me as much as the turbo kit with all the upgrades.
Old 08-22-2004, 02:55 PM

Turbo would be so Awesome! You gotta get a big intercooler and a nice BOV. It's gotta be a pretty tricky install from looking at these pics:

http://www.fastmaxima.com/thefast_others.htm
Old 08-22-2004, 04:16 PM
SLOW

Originally Posted by Tyrexx
Turbo would be so Awesome! You gotta get a big intercooler and a nice BOV. It's gotta be a pretty tricky install from looking at these pics:

http://www.fastmaxima.com/thefast_others.htm

BTW the turbo in that AutoCAD design there is the one sitting in my trunk, it's not one of the kits is a custom job done by the guy who eventually sold it to me
Old 08-22-2004, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
BTW the turbo in that AutoCAD design there is the one sitting in my trunk
not doing you a lot of good there, install it!!

mighteatyou: I'd look into custom turbo pipes from a high-quality shop.
As far as fuel setup, that will depend a lot on what power you want from it. Unless you are building a dragster, I am not sure you would want the headaches of getting a standalone lined out on the maxima for the first time. Maybe look into emanage with MAP addon and injectors? Fuel + timing control, while still keeping stock ECU driveability.

Getting back to your expected power, if you are shooting for high numbers - be prepared to add tranny mods to your list as well.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:53 AM

BUMP to the Top

i really could use some advice im so confused i have within 6000 dollars or so to spend maybe even a little more so lemmi know whats up guys i really wanna know what the best route is to go
Old 08-23-2004, 04:20 PM

If you have 6k already, sell the Maxima. You buy a 92 6bolt-4bolt DSM for 3k, dump the other 3k into it, I GUARANTEE you run 11's. Maxima's are nice, but they aren't race cars. If you must have a Maxima, as far as your fuel delivery, you could save yourself the 1200 you'll spend on Emanage/e-01 and just buy an AFC and ITC. A little less adjustable but just depends on what your looking for. HKS VPC is nice addition to the above mentioned as well, allows you to run speed density instead of MAS meter. Just my opinion, I got sick of my Max, well, right after I wrecked it that is, but I love my DSM. You can't beat AWD and turbo. What size turbo do intend to run?
Old 08-24-2004, 02:20 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally Posted by burtreynolds
If you have 6k already, sell the Maxima.
Why? So he can buy a lesser car? Don't forget YOU are on www.maxima.org

You buy a 92 6bolt-4bolt DSM for 3k, dump the other 3k into it, I GUARANTEE you run 11's.
It's not always about the fastest 1/4 time.

Maxima's are nice, but they aren't race cars. If you must have a Maxima, as far as your fuel delivery, you could save yourself the 1200 you'll spend on Emanage/e-01 and just buy an AFC and ITC. A little less adjustable but just depends on what your looking for. HKS VPC is nice addition to the above mentioned as well, allows you to run speed density instead of MAS meter.
So what your saying is he can get the AFC and ITC for free? Emanage and profec can be had for less than $1200. And then as you stated, less adjustable and on top of that and still having to buy another piece of equipment.

Just my opinion, I got sick of my Max, well, right after I wrecked it that is, but I love my DSM. You can't beat AWD and turbo. What size turbo do intend to run?
And just cause you got tired of your ride, don't bash anyone esle for it. You have made some rude posts in the past 2 days. Ease up, or you gonna get a vaction from www.maxima.org
Old 08-24-2004, 02:28 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Here's what you can use from your current MOD list
( engine wise)

Cattman Headers
Random Technology Cat 2.5
Stillen B-pipe 2.5
Stillen Muffler
Middle Eastern Variable Intake Manifold
ACT Stage 1 Street Clutch
Fidenzia Flywheel

Now, In my opinion, TOSS the cat and b-pipe. Use a 3 inch exhaust. You'll benefit from it

Your best bet, is like Hal said, have your pipes custom made. If your BENT on buying a kit, PFI would be my offer to you.

370cc injectors an SAFC and a 300ztt MAF will support ~350 WHP/10psi. Much higher than that you need bigger injectors. And you KEEP the stock ECU. You can get crazy and throw WI in there, but I'd wait on that
Old 08-24-2004, 06:00 PM
SLOW

The "kits" available are basically prebent piping (so you don't have to get it done yourself) and then the rest of the parts you need, all in one convenient package.

you could have the piping custom made by a local shop, and buy the other parts separately and end up with the exact same thing as one of the kits that's out.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
you could have the piping custom made by a local shop, and buy the other parts separately and end up with the exact same thing as one of the kits that's out.

Yes, but how much more expensive is it?
Old 08-25-2004, 07:39 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally Posted by bearded
Yes, but how much more expensive is it?

Good question. Shop "a" will charge X amount, while shop "b" will charge X amount.

And that is X amount LESS/MORE than what they charge 3 states away.

Shop around.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:02 AM

first of all, don't buy a DSM I guarantee that you will be fixing it every other weekend.

as far as a kit or custom stuff... shop around, turbo's aren't a one weekend ordeal,... it's gonna take alot of work.

Nate
Old 08-26-2004, 07:18 AM

If you have 6k already, sell the Maxima. You buy a 92 6bolt-4bolt DSM for 3k, dump the other 3k into it, I GUARANTEE you run 11's. Maxima's are nice, but they aren't race cars. If you must have a Maxima, as far as your fuel delivery, you could save yourself the 1200 you'll spend on Emanage/e-01 and just buy an AFC and ITC. A little less adjustable but just depends on what your looking for. HKS VPC is nice addition to the above mentioned as well, allows you to run speed density instead of MAS meter. Just my opinion, I got sick of my Max, well, right after I wrecked it that is, but I love my DSM. You can't beat AWD and turbo. What size turbo do intend to run?
DSMs break down all the ****ing time. Not to mention the crank wall problems. So what they can be made fast because they are AWD and not so heavy. They still are mit****bishies.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:19 PM
living out of a maxima...

Originally Posted by Bags
370cc injectors an SAFC and a 300ztt MAF will support ~350 WHP/10psi. Much higher than that you need bigger injectors. And you KEEP the stock ECU. You can get crazy and throw WI in there, but I'd wait on that
Quick question around injector size and max WHP...

As I understand it the Vortech kit raises fuel pressure to get the stock injectors to deliver more fuel. This is good for say 300whp(?), and that's with stock 240cc(?) injectors. When you say that the 370cc injectors are only good for ~350whp, I assume you mean that's at the stock fuel pressure.

My impression was that while it's generally not the best plan to raise the fuel pressure to get the injectors to output more fuel, it seems to work relatively well for the stock injectors with the Vortech kit. Is there a greater risk when trying to run get more fuel via higher fuel pressure with the 370cc's vs. the stock injectors? Or is it more of a "it's safer to get bigger injectors and run lower pressure"?
Old 08-26-2004, 03:14 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally Posted by JeffesonM
Quick question around injector size and max WHP...

As I understand it the Vortech kit raises fuel pressure to get the stock injectors to deliver more fuel. This is good for say 300whp(?), and that's with stock 240cc(?) injectors. When you say that the 370cc injectors are only good for ~350whp, I assume you mean that's at the stock fuel pressure.

My impression was that while it's generally not the best plan to raise the fuel pressure to get the injectors to output more fuel, it seems to work relatively well for the stock injectors with the Vortech kit. Is there a greater risk when trying to run get more fuel via higher fuel pressure with the 370cc's vs. the stock injectors? Or is it more of a "it's safer to get bigger injectors and run lower pressure"?
Then stillen kit pushes FP up to ~80psi. Also, that is the 6psi PULLEY. Which is good for ~250whp. The 4th gen injectors lock up near 110psi. This info I read here and have not proven.

Injector duty cycle is what I was reffering to. BUT, HIGH(90psi+) fuel pressure is not the best answer. Higher (~60psi) fuel pressure is not a problem. You'll find most Fuel Pumps perfer 40-50 PSI for MAXIMUM flow from the fuel pump. As the fuel pressure increases, the amount of fuel the pump can flow decreases

This is where I got my information from. http://www.rceng.com/technical.htm

Using that worksheet and information I gathered on this forum and the internet is how I came to the ~350whp mark.

And YES, it's safer to get bigger injectors than push Injector Duty Cycle ( IDC ) to 95% and higher at any FP.

That help?
Old 08-27-2004, 02:16 PM
living out of a maxima...

Yes, definitely helps. I also forgot how the fuel pumps don't flow as much at higher pressures. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:33 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally Posted by JeffesonM
Yes, definitely helps. I also forgot how the fuel pumps don't flow as much at higher pressures. Thanks.

Good to know I got something correct in the last day

Glad I could help