Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Supercharger guru's inside please....'98 Maxima with Stillen V2 kit needs help...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by HNDA ETR
You got mail bro.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:18 PM
Still Here... IM me for more..

Old 08-26-2004, 02:20 PM

Old 08-26-2004, 02:31 PM

Thanks honda eater guy. Yep thats her. Obviously we're amid-ships with the install, but this gives you an idea of where we're going with it.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:38 PM

nice looking setup... someone spent some big $ here...
Old 08-26-2004, 02:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Get a BOV for her while your at it too

-matt
Old 08-26-2004, 03:02 PM

man she spent some money.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:22 PM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Originally Posted by matty
Get a BOV for her while your at it too

-matt
Yeah! What's another couple of hundred? That Bosch unit needs replacing!

I just did a double take....I thought it was a Bosch unit....what kind of BOV is that thing?
Old 08-26-2004, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by BlackCat
Yeah! What's another couple of hundred? That Bosch unit needs replacing!

I just did a double take....I thought it was a Bosch unit....what kind of BOV is that thing?
It's the bypass valve that stillen includes with the SC kit...
Old 08-26-2004, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by spanishrice
man she spent some money.
Yes, indeed she did. And this car came to me making 235 whp at a 10.4:1 AF (that was on the top end, low end it was off the chart), the intake pipe between the blower and the MAF was so loose at the blower it would have blown off had the pipe not been bolted to the intake in 2 places, and we've found 3 vac. hoses that were unattached. The oil cooler is leaking in several places, it has a recirculating PCV system (as opposed to a catch can) setup on a blown car (big no-no, it was designed this way originally, it wont leave my shop like that however). I could go on and on, but suffice to say this was the shoddiest assembly of a $45k+ car I've seen in a long time. The poor woman just didnt know any different and got the super sh**ty end of the stick for it. Im hell bent this car will make over 300 whp, safe tune, and run deep 13's (if not 12's) before Im done with it. Enjoy the pics and learn from her experiance. Be careful who you get to work on your ride, theres some crappy crappy shops out there.

Edit- Yes it a Bosch unit, and its not Stillen that includes it, its Vortech. I can show you several 600+ rwhp 'Stangs running that same crappy BOV. I will ask her if she is interested in swapping it out, we have some HKS and TurboXS units in stock.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:51 PM

True Dat. Not sure about the "big no-no" on the recirculating PCV System however - I think that's how most of us are set up. Just curious - why is that a no-no?

No offense to you, because you seem like a very honest shop owner, but your reasons above are EXACTLY why I've done everything on my car myself.

And I've learned a lot in the process. This board rocks.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by iansw
True Dat. Not sure about the "big no-no" on the recirculating PCV System however - I think that's how most of us are set up. Just curious - why is that a no-no?

No offense to you, because you seem like a very honest shop owner, but your reasons above are EXACTLY why I've done everything on my car myself.

And I've learned a lot in the process. This board rocks.
No offense taken. If your capable and have the necessary tools, by all means do it yourself. This eliminates one HUGE variable in any build-up. Oh, and Im not the shop owner, just a sales manager.

On the PCV deal, we generally dont like to recirculate the PCV on a boosted system because of the added strain on the motor seals it produces putting that boost into the crankcase if the PCV valve itself is not up to the task (and they typically aren't). You can actually work directly opposite to what the PCV system was designed to do in the first place, which of course is to ventilate the crankcase. Its not a big deal on a <10 psi setup, but when you start pushing 15+ psi, it can become an issue. Just one of those small things Id rather take care of and not have it on my mind when I let this car go out the door.

And yes, this board does rock. LS1tech and Bimmerforums, two boards i haunt regularly, are the only other ones that i would honestly put on par with this one on general knowledge of the memebers and their willingness to share said knowledge.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by ELESWON
On the PCV deal, we generally dont like to recirculate the PCV on a boosted system because of the added strain on the motor seals it produces putting that boost into the crankcase if the PCV valve itself is not up to the task (and they typically aren't). You can actually work directly opposite to what the PCV system was designed to do in the first place, which of course is to ventilate the crankcase. Its not a big deal on a <10 psi setup, but when you start pushing 15+ psi, it can become an issue. Just one of those small things Id rather take care of and not have it on my mind when I let this car go out the door.
So it is possible for blowby (through the valve guides I guess?) to pressurize the valve covers and then the crankcase via the pcv valve, when boosting? Or does the boost pressure take a different path?
Old 08-27-2004, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
So it is possible for blowby (through the valve guides I guess?) to pressurize the valve covers and then the crankcase via the pcv valve, when boosting? Or does the boost pressure take a different path?
Yes and no. The blowby isnt the only reason (and like i said, this blowby usually only occurs in higher-boost situations). The vapors that the PCV system puts back into the intake track contain oil and fuel vapors which lead to detonation (bad thing with boost, as you already know). Not to mention you really dont wanna flow that stuff through an $1800 supercharger head unit. Hope this helps a bit. Easiest thing to do is take the pipe out of the air cleaner assby and route it to a catch can, which is what we plan on.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by ELESWON
Yes and no. The blowby isnt the only reason (and like i said, this blowby usually only occurs in higher-boost situations). The vapors that the PCV system puts back into the intake track contain oil and fuel vapors which lead to detonation (bad thing with boost, as you already know). Not to mention you really dont wanna flow that stuff through an $1800 supercharger head unit. Hope this helps a bit. Easiest thing to do is take the pipe out of the air cleaner assby and route it to a catch can, which is what we plan on.
Okay, now I know what you're talking about. Actually, that recirc hose is not the pcv hose. The pcv valve is on the back valve cover. Although the Stillen kit comes with a provision to run the recirculation hose back to the air filter, I think most people don't bother hooking up it up and just put a breather filter on the end.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:24 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Originally Posted by HNDA ETR
It's the bypass valve that stillen includes with the SC kit...
Although its a Bosch unit, it looks totally different from the one that came with my kit.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
Okay, now I know what you're talking about. Actually, that recirc hose is not the pcv hose. The pcv valve is on the back valve cover. Although the Stillen kit comes with a provision to run the recirculation hose back to the air filter, I think most people don't bother hooking up it up and just put a breather filter on the end.

Gotcha. Learning a lot as i go on this Max. Different cars, different systems.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by BlackCat
Although its a Bosch unit, it looks totally different from the one that came with my kit.
Ive got a big 'ole Turbo XS unit in stock, i think thats the one im gonna go with on her car. We'll see.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:19 PM

any update?
Old 11-28-2004, 07:04 PM
VQ Wizard

Well thanks to Neal for finally tipping me off to this thread. Shame on you guys for never saying anything to me.

Tom I am still available to help with the tuning of this car if you still need it. Just give me a call.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:51 AM
Blu
the tits

can't believe I missed this one myself. The setup is very clean and I might be doing somewhat the same setup once all the kinks are worked out and the thing is making the power it should. I saw the current charts and the curves still look like they're hurting possibly from too much timing being pulled. Tom get me a good price on an emanage I want to get it within a week or so. BTW Im the one that was up there this past wednesday with the Black SC'ed Maxima.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:23 PM

Eleswon,

i have weighed heavily the following: JWT, Apexi safc, Greddy Emanage. My conclusion is to go with the emanage. It provides a good daily tune and is easy to manipulate, with the injector harness, and the add on psi sensor( it will take over when the stock maf sensor is maxed out). By the way I'm planning on running a 2.62 pulley (overspeeds blower @redlinw 9000 rpm) and my own fmic set up (ck out my web site) with the emanage and sending some stock 240 injectors out to be made into 550cc's. No Fmu will be used--hopefully! BTW what type of domestic injectors interchange with ours? ie side feed??