Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Help Wiring Gauges ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 09:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Help Wiring Gauges ??

Im confused on where to get my 12V source from for my EGT gauge and my Electronic Fuel Pressure Gauge(Black Box from Autometer)..I know that im already getting the "light source" for the guages at either the glove box light or the ash tray light...

I already have my Harlan coming off of the 12v source for the cig lighter so I was told not to use that..(i have it setup with a relay)..It would be good to use that 12V source again but but I dont wanna cause a fire...

wiring isnt my favorite past time so I need some assistance...

-matt
Old 09-01-2004, 09:21 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Those units don't draw a lot of current... Take it from any "switched" source you like including cig lighter.... worse case is the fuse blows. BTW stay away from any yellow wire looms...air bags.

I wouldn't use a constant 12V... there will be some parasitic drain if you do that.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:24 AM

The 12V Cig lighter is an example of a "switched" source ??
Old 09-01-2004, 10:12 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

matty,

For something like this, I've always found a switched(on with key) empty fuse slot in the fuse panel. Then for convienence, I use a 10amp fuse, shorten one leg, wrap a wire around that leg, and then push it into the slot. You can even feed the wire in through the back for a clean/OEM look, if you have patience/time.

Also, make sure you put the guages on the correct side of the fuse, ie the side that's not hot when the key is on. Otherwise, if there was a short, the fuse wouldn't blow, and you'd still blow/melt something upstream.

Good luck.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by matty
The 12V Cig lighter is an example of a "switched" source ??
yes, to your ignition. The cig lighter isn't "on" unless your car is running. Best to follow Autometer's instructions and put a 1A fuse inline so it blows and not something more important.

I like IceY2K1's idea better though - makes for neater wiring. Wish I had done it that way.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
matty,

For something like this, I've always found a switched(on with key) empty fuse slot in the fuse panel. Then for convienence, I use a 10amp fuse, shorten one leg, wrap a wire around that leg, and then push it into the slot. You can even feed the wire in through the back for a clean/OEM look, if you have patience/time.

Also, make sure you put the guages on the correct side of the fuse, ie the side that's not hot when the key is on. Otherwise, if there was a short, the fuse wouldn't blow, and you'd still blow/melt something upstream.

Good luck.
So then it really isnt a good idea just to tap off the cig lighter two more times for the EGT and the fuel pressure ??

How will i know that its the correct side of the fuse I am using ?? this wireing stuff is all new to me

-matt
Old 09-01-2004, 11:53 AM

So then it really isnt a good idea just to tap off the cig lighter two more times for the EGT and the fuel pressure ??

How will i know that its the correct side of the fuse I am using ?? this wireing stuff is all new to me

-matt
Seems like it should be okay. A cigarette lighter draws a lot more current than several gauges are going to. Come to think of it, it's not really a cigarette lighter in my car, rather it's an accessory power supply. Nevertheless, I'm powering seven gauges and my WB O2 controller from it. Haven't had any problems yet.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:23 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

I have one +12V switched source for everything inside the car that's aftermarket. Buy a SPDT relay. Run a thick gauge wire directly from the battery into the cabin and put a fuse on it by the battery. Go to the wires at the key cylinder and find the switched +12V. Tap that wire for the signal for the relay. Now you can have up to 40 AMP of draw off that one relay without risking drawing too much from any OEM wiring.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:26 PM

THAT is the proper way to do it. I'm just too lazy.

Originally Posted by 1MAX2NV
I have one +12V switched source for everything inside the car that's aftermarket. Buy a SPDT relay. Run a thick gauge wire directly from the battery into the cabin and put a fuse on it by the battery. Go to the wires at the key cylinder and find the switched +12V. Tap that wire for the signal for the relay. Now you can have up to 40 AMP of draw off that one relay without risking drawing too much from any OEM wiring.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:04 AM

My problem is running all those wires down into the cowl nicely, and have the gauge pod sitting up there while I wire this thing up....I wanna do it neat, but its almost impossible to
theres alot of wires

-matt
Old 09-02-2004, 09:50 AM

Cowl = dash?

Once you pull the pillar cover use a hanger and tape the wires to the end and then pull back through. If you don't use bulky 3M connectors, it fits fine.

Alex

My problem is running all those wires down into the cowl nicely, and have the gauge pod sitting up there while I wire this thing up....I wanna do it neat, but its almost impossible to
theres alot of wires

-matt
Old 09-02-2004, 10:03 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

theres alot of wires

-matt
The secret is planning and patience... and liberal use of wire ties.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:00 AM

I hate wiring....lol
Old 09-02-2004, 11:06 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

I hate wiring....lol
You think that was bad?

the above was cramp and tight...
Old 09-02-2004, 11:41 AM

I'm not a real big fan of wiring either. Crimping, soldering, heatshrinking - oh my!

Because of powering/grounding 8+ items on top of all the other connections, I found pos/neg distribution strips a good way to clean up the task, see pic:

Old 09-02-2004, 12:37 PM

I think the biggest PITA wirining I did so far was for the Alpine IVA-D300.

Old 09-02-2004, 12:58 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Tony... all that purdee blue wireloom... techs will think it may be for the airbags (Mazda used/uses blue).
Old 09-02-2004, 02:46 PM

Ran out of red ones That's good so the tech won't mess with it.

Originally Posted by Chunger
Tony... all that purdee blue wireloom... techs will think it may be for the airbags (Mazda used/uses blue).