Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Boosted 89 Maxima help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 07:36 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally Posted by Bernardd
I'm using a GN intercooler on my 280zx turbo and it works fine.
Bernard, what ECU are you runing on your ZX? Z31 swap or stock? I'm thinking of running SDS on my 83ZXT or maybe doing the Z31 swap.

also do the Nissan ECUs have any problems running 29C256 Atmel eeproms?? I run those in my Integra ECU, the ability to overwrite is great as opposed to having to by an eraser.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i believe he was running the z31 ecu but also had a maxima ecu. i sent him the wiring harness and he was going to try setting that up on it. not sure how it all went but i'll let him explain it all incase i got any of it wrong.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:29 AM

Thanks!

THANKS!

Live edit sounds like what I need. That will work on a stock Maxima ECU?
I was starting to think that I'd have to take in and out a chip 24million times and come back down here and burn it bla bla bla.. Yuck.

I'm going to finish the exhuaust this morning.. I backed off the boost more and am going to trim back the timing a touch till I can put this tuning stuff on.
I don't have to run a heated O2 do I? It's in the up pipe and should get hot DAMN fast. what are your thoughts?

Thanks again for your help!
Old 10-01-2004, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by DA-MAX
Bernard, what ECU are you runing on your ZX? Z31 swap or stock? I'm thinking of running SDS on my 83ZXT or maybe doing the Z31 swap.

also do the Nissan ECUs have any problems running 29C256 Atmel eeproms?? I run those in my Integra ECU, the ability to overwrite is great as opposed to having to by an eraser.

I'm using an 88 NA Z31 ecu. I choose that one because eventually I'll start using the o2 sensor and the stock 280zx sensor is compatible. How much power are you going to be putting down with the 280? The stock z31 maf is only good to around 300hp. You'll have to change to a z32 maf if you're going above that power level. Stinkyz is using eeproms in his ecu with no problems. I considered switching to a max ecu before I figured out how to get the z32 maf working with a z31 ecu. (requires internal mods to ecu)

Live edit will work in the Max ecu with no problems. You'll need to tune with a wideband o2 sensor as well.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Boosted Maxima
I fabricated the exhaust all the way back to where the rear suspention is. I'll finish it tomorrow. The more exhaust I put on it the louder it gets! ?what's up with that?

I forgot to reply to this. For some reason, on these cars, the exhaust noise gets louder in the cabin the further back the exhaust is. I think because of the noise resonating through the body or something. Case in point, recently I had a little incident where by stupid exhaust pipe fell off of the downpipe. The interior noise decreased substantially but I could tell it was a bit noisier outside. It wasn't overly loud though and I actually kind of liked it.

On top of that, the turbo spooled insanely fast. I think I'll be making a shorty exhaust sometime soon now.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:28 AM

havnt you guys heard of an electric cutout and how they work wonders on turbo cars

just run stock exhaust and put a cutout on the 3in downpipe for no restiction when you want ot be fast and you can still be quite as stock all the rest of the time
Old 10-01-2004, 11:57 AM

yup, i've been planning on getting one for quite some time... however... since the exhaust is quieter when it is open in the front of the car compared to a full exhaust it would be kind of pointless buying one... unless you have emissions testing or something.
Old 10-01-2004, 05:56 PM

Wow, your piping looks really clean! Good job!

As for the knock sensor location, it's on the back of the block below the rear exhaust manifold.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:35 PM

Benard, If the Maxima ECU will handle Live Edit That's AWSOME!
I went to a few of the sites and am waiting to hear back from them via E-Mail. I want whatever it takes to make Live Edit work!
I've got 200mi on the setup now. I made a cold air pickup from the cowel area today which I will mail to Mcook. It makes the turbo LOUD as hell. plus the cold air helps a bunch too.
I also finished my exhaust with 2.5" pipe. I spent over 3 hrs re-working the stock nissan muffler into a ...well .. umm.. Kinda a nissan flowmaster. It sounds mellow but has some resonation. I'm going to purchase some stainless steel screen and install that in the pipe where I made a fitting for it to come apart. I'm hoping that it acts kinda like a converter and breaks up the sound waves and stops the resonation through the back of the car. We'll see how good my theory is there. I think the rattling (ping) noise I heard was the actuator rod. I' put a few turns on it and the noise is gone.
I'm not going to make any crazy long pulls with it till I can See what's going on with Live Edit and a wide band.
Where did you get your Live edit and connector again?
Thanks guys, Scott!
Old 10-01-2004, 07:48 PM

Download Live Edit software from the site that's linked off the xtronics website. You'll need a laptop and the romulator. Get the eprom de-soldered and have a socket installed. Read eprom to have base code to start tuning with. Make changes to kvalue for larger injectors, tp scalars, rev limit etc etc. You'll want to download a copy of romeditor from the boostcruising website link to make the initial changes. It has more maps that are accessible than Live Edit.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:56 PM

Old 10-02-2004, 04:15 AM

Thanks Benard/MtCook for helping me along! I think all I have left is tuning! I checked the plug PN# that I have now VS a TT300 and they are the same heat range so.. I should be good there..
The cold air intake makes the turbo 1000X louder and it doesn't hurt to pull cold air from the cowel area eather. Rain won't get in the tube because there's about a inch of a drop under the bottom of the tube. That's the stock filter box turned upside down. It's actualy easier to take in/out than it was factory!
I've got a electronics guy that can put that socket in for me. Would that be somthing he could get? where's the factory ECU? Now it's down to using your guys's knowledge because the fabrication is done (except for the GN intercooler I'm doing now) That'll happen in the next few weeks.
Thanks again for your help...Scott
Old 10-02-2004, 08:04 AM

Ecu is behind the console. IIRC you have to take the panel out beside the accel pedal to get at it. If you get a romulator, it comes with a socket. I've got a couple of copies of Maxima binfiles if you need one.
Old 10-02-2004, 10:13 AM

A cool idea that George from Intronics showed me is that you have one socket soldered into the ecu. From there, you actually put another socket on the eprom/romulator. That way, its much easier to put in and remove. Most importantly though, if you break one of the pins on the socket you can just order another socket and replace it. However, the pins on the sockets are bit stronger from what I can tell so breaking one should be uncommon.

To get the ecu out, Bernard is correct, however its usually easiest to get it out from the passenger side. You can do it either way but the pedals can get in the way of tools sometimes when on the driver's side.
Old 10-03-2004, 02:15 PM

I went over to the Ztezch site and one guy over there"hackenTT" said that there's nothing I can tune the Maxmia ECU with? His he full of BS? I read alot of other not so nice things about this guy there on the site just wondering if you guys had a run-in with him or not.
Anyway... Got some 95oct fuel in it.. With all fabrication done and 250miles on it Im ready for some tuning. I've made a bid on some 300ZXTT injectors which I will get cleaned and flowed. Next is gathering all the parts for the ECU and seting up the lap top. Where do you guys get your parts? This is kinda a special "nitch" market. The other website boostcruzing didn't e-mail me back and no phone numbers? humm. I'd order these parts but I need a supplier!!!!
Guess here's my list:
Romulator
Plug wires 8mm
Fuel Press Reg. Make a stock location?
What ever else it takes to make the stock ecu progamable.

If you guys can help me get these last few things worked out This cars going to fly.
I'm usto 11second daily driven GNs that just took a few bolt ons. With just driving it with too much timing and not enough fuel i can feel the potential for some good power. It's definatly going to run 12's just need some way to tune it now. Almost decided to throw my FAST system on it
Thanks guys... Scott~
Wish I had painted my car the same color as Mcook.. I love that color on his car.
Black is never clean! AHHHH
Old 10-03-2004, 11:01 PM

that guy is crazy or something. i'm messing with tuning my car right now.... and jim wolf technology has been tuning maxima ecus for who knows how long so its most definitely possible if they can do it.

msd 8.5's for the spark plug wires
i have an aeromotive a1000-6 and its pretty nice. it just won't go in the stock location. but it works well and has a port for a fuel pressure gauge.
a wide band o2 sensor would be a good thing to have. they are a little over 300 dollars for the regular ones that give you a readout. for ones with the datalogging capabilities its about 509 after shipping i believe. www.plxdevices.com is the type i have. i really like it as its compact so you can keep it in the car if you wanted to.

12's would be sweet but i'd hold off on getting it that fast. you might want to address the tranny first before pushing that much power. these trannies tend to break even under stock power. the main problem we've found so far is the input shaft bearing right on the bell housing. its ridiculously weak and tends to be the only thing most people have trouble with. ipt (import performance transmissions) can put in a bigger bearing which is supposed to solve all of the troubles. that's probably the best route to go. if you need more strength the next thing to try would be getting it cryoed. that should keep it together quite well.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:49 AM

I was hoping the stock 5speed would be strong! I broke 5 5speeds in my camaro before I went to a Auto. I'm definaly NOT going to change to a Auto here. Iv'e got a 90 Parts car outside with a 120,000mile motor. If I can get my car and old motor dialed in and familiar with programming I might take that 120,000 mile motor and rebuild it/Modify along the way for next winter. It's a Auto car and guess what the tranny's shot. I paid 300.00 for it. had to drive it on the trailer backwards because reverse is the only thing tha works. Engine runs great.. as ususal.
I'll order the Romulator&MSD wires. I think the Aeromotive FPR is the one I'll get as well. Fuel pump too. Then the technical learning of tuning with yet another program.
I guess if I'm not learning anything then I'm not living.
Great info again.. Thanks for helping a guy that's so novice to Nissans.
Although I did have a 81 280ZX Guess that's what started my daily driver nissan fetish
Old 10-04-2004, 04:57 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally Posted by mtcookson
they are a little over 300 dollars for the regular ones that give you a readout. for ones with the datalogging capabilities its about 509 after shipping i believe.
I keep telling guys...go Zeitronix, datalogging and ability to display aux. sensor readings for ~$300(no display) and about $400 with display.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:47 PM

Got the O2 sensor hooked up today along with the IAC back on duty.
I also put screen in the exhaust. It took about 50% of the resonation and inside the car sound out. I'm prity damn happy with the way it sounds right now. I can put another screen right before the muffler and it would proably tone it down a bit more what a difference!!!!
Orderd a Romulator today. I'll see it by the end of the week and maby .. just maby get to start learning how to tune it next week!
I used the white wire coming from the ECU to the O2 Connector where it turns into a black wire and later down towards the stock O2 the blue wire grafts into it as well. That sound like the right setup?>
Thanks again guys..>Scott!!!!
Oh.. almost forgot.. what do you guys do with the intake tuning valve? I ended up bolting mine closed. Boost does strange things when there's alternate paths for air to travel.. Keeping the two sections of the manifold seperated seemd to help mine today.. What's your openion?
Old 10-04-2004, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by DA-MAX
I keep telling guys...go Zeitronix, datalogging and ability to display aux. sensor readings for ~$300(no display) and about $400 with display.
damn... i'd be telling people about that one too if i had known about it. the price is right and that thing looks very awesome.

i'm not exactly sure on the o2 sensor setup as i'm using a wibeband o2. i at one point had the stock o2 sensor hooked up to my afc so i could read the voltage output but that was short lived. blue sounds familiar to me but i'll have to go check my afc wiring setup again.

the power valve... not really sure on that thing. its supposed to help low end torque i believe. one thing i can say is, i'm almost positive that thing makes a difference when boosting. i disabled it at one point and the car felt a bit sluggish compared to when it was enabled. i think i need a new solenoid though because i haven't seen the valve move in a while and my car has felt a bit sluggish lately.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Boosted Maxima
Got the O2 sensor hooked up today along with the IAC back on duty.
I also put screen in the exhaust. It took about 50% of the resonation and inside the car sound out. I'm prity damn happy with the way it sounds right now. I can put another screen right before the muffler and it would proably tone it down a bit more what a difference!!!!
Orderd a Romulator today. I'll see it by the end of the week and maby .. just maby get to start learning how to tune it next week!
I used the white wire coming from the ECU to the O2 Connector where it turns into a black wire and later down towards the stock O2 the blue wire grafts into it as well. That sound like the right setup?>
Thanks again guys..>Scott!!!!
Oh.. almost forgot.. what do you guys do with the intake tuning valve? I ended up bolting mine closed. Boost does strange things when there's alternate paths for air to travel.. Keeping the two sections of the manifold seperated seemd to help mine today.. What's your openion?
IIRC the o2 signal wire is black at the o2 and it comes up and chages into another color (maybe blue or something)and it runs into the harness in the fire wall. At the ecu I hear its pin 29 and At that time when I hooked my disco ball(air fuel gauge) up I did not no how to find pin 29 so I tapped into the wire at the o2 sensor. I wish I could find a lay out of the vg ecu pins # If anyone knows where I can find this Please let me know!

Oh yeah Mark or Scott how do you think the car would act with about 5psi Im wanting to go ahead and put mine on(kind of tapped out of $ money right now for all the other things that I need to get the boost up) If it would stand WOT or even at 4psi I would go ahead put it on.I guess 4 or 5 psi would be better than nothing maybe 50 ponies
Old 10-09-2004, 01:56 PM

Update:

More miles.. more learning. Found the best plug to use for the moment is a NGK PN# BCPR6ES-11 (stock #6779) Color's good heat range seems right.
I'm running 95oct fuel with Timing at 17deg and 7lbs of boost.
I've got the romulator and am working on seting up the laptop for Live Edit.
Need to put the fuel pump/wires/FPRegulator on next and start tuning.
The last tank of gas I got 21mpg down a tad from 24-26 before boost but I've also been playing around a bit more too. Found that the Intake Tuning Valve needs to be shut to make all the plugs read evenly.
So far so good with everything.. about 500miles on it and doing fine. Making the front bumper mods to a extra cover I have and fabricating a intercooler out of a Stock GN one I had here. Let you know how that go's next week.
Up date you again soon,
Scott~
Old 10-15-2004, 02:58 PM

Ok.. Update:
225lr/hr fuel pump installed
Magnacore 8mm wires installed
Seems to like the volume of fuel better.
TPS seems to play a big role in how the engine acts. I think I've finaly got it about right.
I'm running 93oct now.. no knock that I can tell. plugs read good.
Live edit is running on my computer and will proably make the switch when I install the 370cc injectors.
I need a Quiet flowing muffler.. Anyone got a good suggestion?
I modified my stocker and it's just too loud for me.
It's tough to make it not sound like a heard of bumble bees. Don't want 5" tip eather. I know that's asking alot but I need somthing that flows and is quiet.
Thanks again for all your support!
Scott
Still getting 21mpg.
Old 10-16-2004, 01:55 PM

Silverline... Hell yes.. Put it on! I'm doing fine with 93oct now making 7-8lbs of boost and it's hella fun. Stock programming and all. Make damn sure your exhaust is flowing. Pull some good cold air from the cowel area. Mine's doing great! JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!!! Mail me if you need help! UR50SLO@aol.com

Anyway, Got impatient today and started making the intercooler setup. I was able to cut the stock allum. up pipe to the double throttle blade in a way that allows me to make the inlet come from the passenger side. My outlet from the IC to the Throttle body will be coming from the pass. side headlight area under the upper radiator hose to the throttle body.

The Intercooler is ready for welding and so is the air inlet (allum. piece) so I'm going to get that welded, fit it up on my parts car and make the front cover&rebar work around it. Should be done maby next week? week after?
Won't be long.. Send pic's to Mike when I get stuff welded up.
~Scott
Old 10-23-2004, 12:44 PM

I got some questions about the tuning, I'm a 97 maxima so that probably means I'll need to get a different ecu to tune with the romulator???? I don't know let me know?
Old 10-23-2004, 01:42 PM

The romulator will work with alot of different ECU's Chevy,honda,nissan ect. The sofware like Live Edit for nissan is what makes the difference. I'm almost to the point of getting that all hooked up and working just missing my 370cc Injectors. Which by your last e-mail to me might just finished my list!
Thanks, Scott