Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Boosted 89 Maxima help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 03:26 AM

Boosted 89 Maxima help?

Hello guys.. this is my first post on the Maxima site! It's great!

Here's my question:

I bought a 89 Maxima last year for 1000.00 that was inteded to be my winter beater. It was a CA car so no rust. The engine had 168,000mi (now 194,000mi) I can't find a damn thing wrong with the engine. Does not burn oil,leak oil and it's generaly clean when I change it at 3,000mi.
I've replaced the following things: Steering rack,T-Belt&tensioner,Clutch&Kit
Plugs,cap,rotor.
Now, Here's the proablem. I'm usto working on Buick GN's. Being around them has given me the awful itch to put one of the stock GN turbo's on the Maxima. The exaust part,oil feed/drain and general plumbing is all map'd out.
There's not a ton of room up front so I'm proably going to run it with out a intercooler for now.(at least till I get the bugs worked out of the fuel system)
The battery,wiring ect is already re-located and there's lots of room for all above listed parts.. including downpipe ect.
From all my experieces with the GN's I was going to do this, Walboro 340 fuel pump in the tank, Adjustable (boost port) stye fuel pressure regulator,
But what to do with the Ignition? MSD style boost retard?
Will the stock MAF max out on grams of air?? do I need a 3bar MAP? I just don't have the experience with Nissans Like I do the Domestic injection.
None of the fabrication of the turbo intallation scares me just not having the parts to tune the car does. I'm not worried about having almost 200,000 on the engine.. it's sound. I'd like to see 10-12psi On pump gas till I can fabricate the intercooler I want. then it'll proably be 14-18lbs of boost.
I get 26mpg in town and 30-32highway. I document every tank. I think I'll loose 2-3mpg with the turbo and no "Lead foot" in theory. But that's to be seen.
I don't want the twin cam motor. I don't think I'll need any more air flowing through the motor and the single cam engine is simple with few things to go wrong.
Well.. I've prity much coverd my little project that's still my daily driver.
If any of you have suggestions on these items it'd realy be helpfull to me as I go along.
MAF...? going to max out
MAP... 3bar?
Ign retard for boost
Fuel press. regulator
Program to read stock Ecu off lap top? (Like Direct scan for buicks)
Fuel pump? We use Walboro 340's ok?
Injectors.. hate to switch but might not make enough with stockers.
Any other things I might not have thought of.?
Thanks, Scott!!! I know I'm so just kick me in the
Old 09-19-2004, 07:02 AM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by Boosted Maxima
Hello guys.. this is my first post on the Maxima site! It's great!

Here's my question:

I bought a 89 Maxima last year for 1000.00 that was inteded to be my winter beater. It was a CA car so no rust. The engine had 168,000mi (now 194,000mi) I can't find a damn thing wrong with the engine. Does not burn oil,leak oil and it's generaly clean when I change it at 3,000mi.
I've replaced the following things: Steering rack,T-Belt&tensioner,Clutch&Kit
Plugs,cap,rotor.
Now, Here's the proablem. I'm usto working on Buick GN's. Being around them has given me the awful itch to put one of the stock GN turbo's on the Maxima. The exaust part,oil feed/drain and general plumbing is all map'd out.
There's not a ton of room up front so I'm proably going to run it with out a intercooler for now.(at least till I get the bugs worked out of the fuel system)
The battery,wiring ect is already re-located and there's lots of room for all above listed parts.. including downpipe ect.
From all my experieces with the GN's I was going to do this, Walboro 340 fuel pump in the tank, Adjustable (boost port) stye fuel pressure regulator,
But what to do with the Ignition? MSD style boost retard?
Will the stock MAF max out on grams of air?? do I need a 3bar MAP? I just don't have the experience with Nissans Like I do the Domestic injection.
None of the fabrication of the turbo intallation scares me just not having the parts to tune the car does. I'm not worried about having almost 200,000 on the engine.. it's sound. I'd like to see 10-12psi On pump gas till I can fabricate the intercooler I want. then it'll proably be 14-18lbs of boost.
I get 26mpg in town and 30-32highway. I document every tank. I think I'll loose 2-3mpg with the turbo and no "Lead foot" in theory. But that's to be seen.
I don't want the twin cam motor. I don't think I'll need any more air flowing through the motor and the single cam engine is simple with few things to go wrong.
Well.. I've prity much coverd my little project that's still my daily driver.
If any of you have suggestions on these items it'd realy be helpfull to me as I go along.
MAF...? going to max out
MAP... 3bar?
Ign retard for boost
Fuel press. regulator
Program to read stock Ecu off lap top? (Like Direct scan for buicks)
Fuel pump? We use Walboro 340's ok?
Injectors.. hate to switch but might not make enough with stockers.
Any other things I might not have thought of.?
Thanks, Scott!!! I know I'm so just kick me in the
Your engine (VG30E) is very similar to the one offered in the 1980's turbo 300Z. There is a member here who swapped in a VG30ET (turbo engine) into his car. His screen name is mtcookson, and he could is full of information you could use. You sound like you know your stuff, so talk to him and also check out his website *here* . Good luck!
Old 09-20-2004, 01:09 PM

Thanks!

I know alot about the GN's but have alot to learn about the Maximas and import FI. I'll take a look at his page thanks for the info!
I definalty want to keep the stock intake and not switch to the 300zx intake that thing is a pain to work on. I've worked on some 300's and that's not my idea of fun!
Anyone else been though this process?
How do I put pic's of the engine by on here?
THanks again, Scott
Old 09-20-2004, 02:54 PM

Fuel pump should be fine(the walboro). As for the ignition you wont like the boost retard function Ive heard from people saying it causes more trouble than its worth. But the MSD ign box by itself should be good to go. The MAF will max out at 300-350hp(I read that from Z31 awhile ago).Without the intercooler you could probably run about 5-8psi safely. I have no Idea whether there is a direct link for that car or not.

Have fun
Hope you get boost!
Old 09-21-2004, 01:00 PM

I'll definaly stick the Warbro in not sure how many miles are on the pump in there anyway. What do you think of the stock injectors? They can't be that great but might get me going for awhile till I realy start pushing things.
I'm thinking in the next few weeks I'll fabricate all the exhaust/downpipe Turbo mount/brace and hook up the oil line.
I'll probably run very low boost and see how it acts while watching the fuel pressure to make sure it's going up with boost.. Don't know if the stock Fuel pressure regulator will do that or not? If not.. I'll just keep the boost low till I can pick up a pump/regulator. Turn back the timing a few deg and see what happens.
I hope I'm not going to look like this
Old 09-21-2004, 02:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the stock injector are very small i think under 200cc so i wouldnt run above 5psi on them and thats only with an FMU

the stock fpr is 1:1 so it will only up the fuel presure 1psi for every 1psi boost which wont help

you need to buy a vortec or cartech/begi fmu to safely run with stock injectors

or get 260cc or 370cc injectors and a emange to control them

260cc will get you up to proboly 6 or 7psi

370cc will get you 10 or 11psi

above that you need 480cc or 550cc which arnt cheap

also think about a 300zx maf
Old 09-21-2004, 03:22 PM

Where do I find the 370cc's? I'm usto buying stuff for GN's!

Our fuel press regulators go on a 1-1 scale and work fine but we normaly run 32-50lb/hr injectors too and our stock ecm's have a boost enrichment mode.

When you use the cartch/vortech unit does that still use the stock ecm? or is it a stand alone unit?

I will intercool it... just going to take time to design a good cooler with out removeing the crash bar up front.

I'm not trying to make my daily driver a race car but love to design stuff and see improvements.
Thanks again for all your help
Scott
Old 09-21-2004, 03:28 PM
I'm needing a caw

You sure about that? The stock FPR, is vacuum regulated. When it has a vacuum signal, it keeps the pressure at about 35-ish psi. When it the signal is removed (ie.. wot etc), it defaults to the higher pressure of about 43psi. If you apply boost, there is no provision for the FP to go any higher than the 43-ish psi maximum (or whatever it is). So there is no boost dependant fuel altering feature.

Originally Posted by subs1000w
the stock fpr is 1:1 so it will only up the fuel presure 1psi for every 1psi boost which wont help
Old 09-22-2004, 06:18 PM

I think most Fuel pressure regulators would accept boost.. it's just the opposite side of vaccume. When your at WOT its around 1-0 and you'll be at max fuel pressure. Guess the easiest way to check that is apply small amount of shop air to regulator and watch fuel pressure. Should go up. I was just asking for advice from someone who's done it to a Maxima regulator..
Old 09-23-2004, 11:37 AM

Almost ready for boost.

I've got a few pictures of the turbo mounted and ready for exhaust plumbing and oil feed/return lines. Don't know where to post them any ideas?
It's gone realy easy so far.. I think the tuning might become a problem but I'm going to hook it up and put a few pounds of boost to it and see how it acts. I've got a good route for a front mount IC but extencive mods to the front re-bar and facia will have to be done. I think I'm going to get it all working with out the IC and then add it on this winter or spring. Depends on what a used front mount is going to cost me.
If someone can show me how to post pic's or host them let me know and I'll show you a easy way to boost this car!
~Scott
Old 09-23-2004, 01:12 PM

umm I wish I knew but I would love to see them email them to silverlinekennels@yahoo.com I would love to see how you did it so I got a plan on mine But If you have a easy way Im all for it.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:15 PM

Also what size trim does your turbo have?
Old 09-23-2004, 07:17 PM

I've got a few pictures of the turbo mounted and ready for exhaust plumbing and oil feed/return lines. Don't know where to post them any ideas?
It's gone realy easy so far.. I think the tuning might become a problem but I'm going to hook it up and put a few pounds of boost to it and see how it acts. I've got a good route for a front mount IC but extencive mods to the front re-bar and facia will have to be done. I think I'm going to get it all working with out the IC and then add it on this winter or spring. Depends on what a used front mount is going to cost me.
If someone can show me how to post pic's or host them let me know and I'll show you a easy way to boost this car!
~Scott
Elkhart? Man, I'm almost down the street from you! It's awesome to see another 3rd gen close by! Are you making the exhaust yourself, or having it done somewhere? By the way, I can host the pics for you, send em to strasser.7@nd.edu
Old 09-23-2004, 07:31 PM

Hey boosted max i don't mean to sound like a jerkoff, and I know you say the oil is "clean", but have you even checked the compression on your 200k daily driver? I know i would before i boosted anything, much less my daily driver. You mey get more answers in the third gen forum for some of your questions. Good luck man!
Old 09-23-2004, 08:41 PM

Where do I find the 370cc's? I'm usto buying stuff for GN's!

Our fuel press regulators go on a 1-1 scale and work fine but we normaly run 32-50lb/hr injectors too and our stock ecm's have a boost enrichment mode.

When you use the cartch/vortech unit does that still use the stock ecm? or is it a stand alone unit?

I will intercool it... just going to take time to design a good cooler with out removeing the crash bar up front.

I'm not trying to make my daily driver a race car but love to design stuff and see improvements.
Thanks again for all your help
Scott
370cc fuel injectors came in twin turbo 300zx

you would want the ones from a 90 to 94 tt like these here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW

in order to get them to work with your stock ECM you would need to get one of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW

these are used religiously on this website on boosted maxs and work great for tuning and upgrading injectors and mass air flow sensors. there is also an addon 3 bar map sensor you can get for it
Old 09-24-2004, 06:37 PM

Subs.. thanks I'll check out the injectors and stuff.. Appreciate it alot!!!

Kolds... Didn't feel the need for a compression check or a leak down test. She's tight and a little boost won't hurt her a bit. If somthing does happen I've got a spair I'll build up.

Brad92.. I send you pic's and build up stautus.. If you can host the pic's GREAT... I'll send you more and details!

Silver.. Stock GN turbos .. not sure on trim ect.. the exhaust housing is a .63 and no need for a external waste gate.. all included in turbo/housing. Simplifys things alot. check a GN site for stock size ect.. sure it's avalible.

Answered all e-mails and posts (I think) Oil feed line to turbo is run, and the good turbo is mounted along with the part of the stock GN header that actualy has a heat sheild that protects the stock Maxima transmission mount. I think that a 3" down pipe is going to work so I should have results next week. No intercooler for now but it WILL happen.
Thanks for all the support guys...
Scott~
Love those rims on the other black max.. SWEET.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:49 PM

I used a old 0-15 fuel pressure gauge and mounted it where the clock usto be. It'll be my boost gauge.
ALL I have left is oil drain and hook up the exhaust which I will complete tomorrow. I'll post the results tomorrow. night.. if I don't have to walk home from the shop
Have not heard from anyone on if they got the pictures.. I've got more...
Old 09-28-2004, 07:54 AM

Awesome news! You sure are making quick progress. You can e-mail me the pictures and I can host them for you. Just send them to mark@mtcmotorsports.com.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:19 PM

I used a old 0-15 fuel pressure gauge and mounted it where the clock usto be. It'll be my boost gauge.
ALL I have left is oil drain and hook up the exhaust which I will complete tomorrow. I'll post the results tomorrow. night.. if I don't have to walk home from the shop
Have not heard from anyone on if they got the pictures.. I've got more...
Awesome, can't wait to hear from you! Did you send me pictures? I didn't recieve them if you tried.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:24 PM

Holey $hit!!!!!

Alright.. I'm about ready to pee my pants

Pulled the crossmember out and the oil pan down so I can weld the fitting to the pan from the inside. Found out these engines have one hell of a girdle built right on to them.. Kick a$$!!!!!! That's why they last so damn long!

Anyway, Cut off the old exhaust (what a POS design!) and fitted all my piping taking me 7hrs today but it's all done!!!!!!!

ALL that's left is making the down pipe and re-directing the coolant hose (bottom hose)

I was so excited to drive it & I was late to pick up the boys from school that I didn't bring the camara home with me. I'll bring it tomorrow along with finished pictures of the entire install!

I'm at 6psi @ WOT with NO fuel injectors,NO adjustable Regulator and it spools like a dream!!! I'm breaking them loose in 3d gear!
I'll have ALOT of tuning in the next few weeks.

Trying to figure out what wires do what on the O2 Side.. You guys know? I'm guessing that the black wire is for actual reading.. right? and the other Coulple wires are for the heated O2

This is sweet and I've only spent 13.99 on a oil pan gasket!!! What else do you want on a budjet?

Yours truley BOOSTED MAXIMA~!
Old 09-28-2004, 03:26 PM
I'm needing a caw

Sweet! We need pics. But CAREFUL with that wot stuff with no fuel! You can probably drive "okay" on part throttle stuff but when you go WOT, you will running your injectors at 100% duty cycle and still be very lean.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:49 PM

Down pipe/Air box

I did a few WOT 2nd/3d/4th gear pulls and all seems good.

Tomorrow I'm going to take a few degrees of timing out of it and attatch a fuel pressure gauge to it and watch the FP at WOT. Should be going up just like my boost. (in theory)

From what it sounds like there's no detonation or lean pop right now. I'd hear it with the turbo dumping right out in the open like it is. It's also amazingly quiet for no exhaust.

I've got a stock Grand National Down Pipe arriving at my shop 5am so I'll have exhaust run just to where the stock flex pipe would start tomororw.
I might be leaving it like that for awhile because I'm going to make my own exhaust.

I'm thinking of pulling cold air from the cowel area (where the windshield wipers are) down into the stock air box. I'm going for kinda a factory look here so I'll just have to fit and see how it looks. Otherwise I'm going to fabricate my own box and use the stock style filter.

So far the car looks stock and my goal is to sound stock but it's got a mean a$$ whistle to it now!!!

I sent pictures to mtcook.. did you get them the other day????
Thanks again guys~Scott
Old 09-28-2004, 09:44 PM

jeez, totally forgot about that. here's a couple pictures:

Big picture so I'm just linking it. 56k be aware, its a pretty big picture.
http://www.mtcmotorsports.com/booste...s%20maxima.JPG

Old 09-28-2004, 11:34 PM

Thanks for hosting the pictures!!!! I've got ALOT more now with detailed instructions. Most of the pipeing is prity streight forward but it's not a job for the novice fabricator or back yard mechanic. I'm headed to the shop now to create the air box/cold air make-up and at 5 i'll get the Down Pipe to finish that up.
THEN the tuning begins. I'll send Mtcook more pitcures tonight!
~Boosted MAX
Old 09-29-2004, 06:34 AM

Wow, you have a very clean max! Looks like a nice turbo setup too!
Old 09-29-2004, 06:49 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

any reason why you are going with a blow-through MAF setup?? (based on your second pic)
Old 09-29-2004, 04:06 PM

Update:

Sit down and have a bowl of This might take awhile

Mtcook, I'm going to download all my pictures off my camara and size them like the one above.. hope that's a ok size. Thanks again for hosting them!

Several things to teach today and several questions!

1) Where can I find wiring diagrams for the engine?
2)Do these have a Knock sensor?
3)Where's the best place to get a new set of plug wires?
THANKS!!!

Well, I've discoverd that the engine definatly likes more Ignition timing than stock. I tried 2degrees retard from stock and it was very unresponcive. I set it by ear right now and will document the timing setting tomorrow. (I ran out of time) I'd still like to retard timing under boost 1deg per lb or so. Still thinking about the MSD setup with BTR (boost timing retard).
I'm going to hook up the restrictive exhaust tomorrow till I can order a 2.5" flex pipe then I'll make my own exhaust all the way back. Undecided on muffler.. like to use the stock one but afraid it's too restrictive. Proably a fart can style muffler but the car's prity quiet now with open exhaust so I'm betting it'll be ok.
Mtcook will post the pic's for me soon!
I almost broke my budjet today..so far i've spent 20.00 making this turbo setup work. (mind you I had all the left-over parts off the GN and the pipe.)
I have all the part numbers and peices needed. I'm betting if somone had to actualy "buy" all the parts they would have around 500-1000.00 in doing it.
500 if you buy used parts 1000 if they are new.
Talk to you soon, Scott!~
Old 09-29-2004, 04:09 PM

Oh by the way.. I just had the MAF stuck on the throttle body tube so I could drive it. The turbo in that picure is the same kind but it's internaly trashed. I just used it to mock up placment for everything and not beat up the other one. The pictures will show how it's setup now.
~Scott
Old 09-29-2004, 06:26 PM

looking very badass. may want to move the maf about 18 inches away from the turbo though. i hear the readings can kind of get screwy when closer than 18 inches (not sure why its 18 inches though ). no problem on the hosting.

Please save the file! (right click, save target as)
http://www.mtcmotorsports.com/boostedmaximapics.zip
Old 09-29-2004, 06:33 PM

I'm about as screwy as they come!

Thanks for your help!!!!

I'll try moving the MAF to see if there's a difference.. thanks!
~Scott
Old 09-29-2004, 07:31 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

NICE!!! I love the up-pipe setup, very tight and clean. keep with the updates
Old 09-29-2004, 07:39 PM

are you planing on running a recirculation valve

any reason why your running 3in intake pipe. do you think its needed

i think you take the cake for the cheapest turbo setup ever
Old 09-29-2004, 09:00 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally Posted by subs1000w
any reason why your running 3in intake pipe. do you think its needed
that should be fine, majority of the Honda off-shelf kits have 3" intake piping, it shouldn't hurt
Old 09-30-2004, 04:28 AM

The 3" pipe from the turbo to the throttle body is not needed at all. Honestly I had to make it work quickly because I was 2hrs late to pick up my boys from school and I only had 3" connectors laying around. 2-2.5 would be fine. I'm planning on re-making the pipe anyway it's temporary. The exhaust is NOT temporay I built braces and made it to survive the demands of daily driving.
Once I get the bugs worked out of the system.. anyone interested in a "kit" or having me build them one? I had a blast doing this one wouldn't mind doing others especialy once I've got the tune up perfected.
I've got another stock turbo off a GN that I am sending to John Craig. The one on the car now I just don't know how many miles are on it so I'd feel more comfortable starting off with a fresh turbo now that it works so good.

Spool up is NOT a problem I've' got boost at 2000rpm and it hits prity hard can't wait till I'm able to turn it up. I'm usto starting out at 14lbs with the GN's My wife's old GN was at 19lbs on pump gas! Need to find a cheap intercooler. Maby I'll put a stock GN intercooler on here.. Humm.. I know I have 2 laying out in the garage... I'll take them to the shop today..
Anyone know about the:
Knock sensor?
Wiring for the engine? (especialy the O2)
Other technical info?
Thanks again, Scott~
Old 09-30-2004, 05:46 AM

Here's a link to retune the ecu, if you're so inclined.
http://www.tangentrix.com/forums/index.php I've got a couple of Maxima roms kicking around if you want to fool around with them. Let me know if you need/want more info.
Use a z32 address file. They're pretty much the same as the z32. I'm using a GN intercooler on my 280zx turbo and it works fine.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:42 AM

Anyone know about the:
Knock sensor?
Wiring for the engine? (especialy the O2)
Other technical info?
Thanks again, Scott~
there is a knock sensor on the car but i can't remember what wire it is. i'll have to go check it at lunch and see what wire is hooked up to the afc. the knock sensor itself is located next to the rear motor mount though.

o2 sensor signal wire i believe is the white wire
Old 09-30-2004, 10:13 AM

Stock exhaust.....

Well I've been driving it open down pipe for the last two days.. It's not extreamly loud but somewhat annoying.
So I made a quick patch this morning between the 2.5" down pipe and the stock 1 7/8 exhaust.

I went for a drive.. it's quitet but it KILLLLED The engine. It takes forever to make boost and backed it up so much it was staring to ping!
NEVER EVER hook up the stock exhaust system to a turbo Max.. I learned a lesson here.

I just got back from my buddys exhaust shop where he gave me a 2.5" flex pipe so this afternoon I can go back over to the shop and fabricate my exhaust.. Proably not run a muffler till I find one cheap and not to "ricey" looking.

I am TOTALY unfamilar with uploading stuff to the factory Ecm what's a Z32.. sorry for being such a dumb a$$ but your going to have to hold my hand through this till I'm familiar with this stuff!
Ok.. So the white wire's the O2.. Cool. I bet it's running in open loop with out the O2 hooked up. That will help when I correct that this afternoon.
Talk to you tonight guys.. Scott!
Old 09-30-2004, 10:38 AM

Z32 - 1990-1996 Nissan 300ZX

I'm pretty sure the white wire that is coming from the O2 sensor itself is the signal. I can't remember what it is at the ecu as I'm pretty sure it changes. You can just tap the wire right at the O2 sensor to be sure.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:41 PM

I fabricated the exhaust all the way back to where the rear suspention is. I'll finish it tomorrow. The more exhaust I put on it the louder it gets! ?what's up with that?

Part throttle pulls with 3-5lbs seems to be very good but when I go to wide open throttle I can hear ping. And then I let out. Going to put some good gas in it tomorrow so I don't hurt anything. I need to get some serious fuel to this engine in a hurry!
What do you use to reprogram the ECU? I have a scanner but have never hooked it up.
I need to get the O2 working right so it's in closed loop and I can read the O2's with a volt meter.
Fuel pump and pressure regulator is going to happen here real real quick.
Getting anxious about seeing what more than 10lbs will do.. But Im going to sneak up on it. Start small and tune gradualy with good readings and as safe as I can be.
Thanks~Scott
Old 09-30-2004, 04:58 PM

Tools, some software and general theory on this site or linked to it.
http://chado.boostcruising.com/ecutuning.asp
You won't need a daughterboard, just a 28 pin eprom socket. I'd strongly recommend picking up a romulator from www.xtronics.com. Follow links to nissan software called Live Edit. With Live Edit you can tune while you drive. Or you can use an eeprom programmer. An eprom will work as well but then you need to buy and eraser. Change the maf to a z32 maf and you should be good to go up to 500hp. Except for breaking stuff.

Quick Reply: Boosted 89 Maxima help?