Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Blow-off valve for superchargers

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 07:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Blow-off valve for superchargers

Hey there fellow Nissan owners. I have a G35 with a Vortech S/c and I was directed towards you guys for some help. I'm trying to bleed off excess boost in my intake plumbing to allow me to run a higher pulley without putting max boost into the engine. Some people at the G/Z forum have said that Maxima owners have been doing this for sometime now. Could I get some specifics from you guys as far as BOV type and spring, maybe even a model number. Currently I'm using a wastegate, but it's causing a boost loss when it opens greater than what it's supposed to be. Thanks in advance!

Had two Max's previous, one was a 96 5-sp with NOS that ran mid 13's in 1998, they are awesome cars.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:19 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

I'm working on it man.... Stephen Max is the man to ask, but he's in hiding, I guess. Once he's back, he'll be more then helpful.

He's using a Blitz DD BOV, but I'm still unsure what spring he found to allow it to bleed off max boost, but not so weak it leaks during low/mid boost or causes idling issues.

What BOV does your kit come with? Also, where is your MAF sensor located?
Old 09-24-2004, 06:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
I'm working on it man.... Stephen Max is the man to ask, but he's in hiding, I guess. Once he's back, he'll be more then helpful.

He's using a Blitz DD BOV, but I'm still unsure what spring he found to allow it to bleed off max boost, but not so weak it leaks during low/mid boost or causes idling issues.

What BOV does your kit come with? Also, where is your MAF sensor located?
Sorry to be out of touch, I still have to work for a living, unfortunately.

I was using the Blitz DD, now I'm using a Vortech Mondo, largest bov in the free world.

I did some experimenting with the Blitz, and found it to be a fairly simple matter to replace the fairly stiff spring inside it with a softer spring. I went to Pepboys and looked in their collection of generic springs until I found one about the right diameter and length but was softer than the Blitz spring.

The softer spring does two things. It allows the bov to be open more during idling and cruising (which is what I was looking for), but it also allowed the bov to open at about 10 psi (for the spring I was using). You can adjust the release pressure somewhat with the preload screw.

For me, however, the pressure release was undesirable, so I switched to the Mondo, which allows vastly more air release at idle and cruise but still stays fully shut when boosting. And it sounds absolutely awesome, too.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:09 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Stephen,
Does the Vortech Race blowoff valve work the same way as the Mondo? Does it bolt right up to flange on the Stillen pipe? If not, should I buy the aluminum or the steel flange?
Old 09-24-2004, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by 1MAX2NV
Stephen,
Does the Vortech Race blowoff valve work the same way as the Mondo? Does it bolt right up to flange on the Stillen pipe? If not, should I buy the aluminum or the steel flange?
No, the Mondo has a two inch ID flange, quite a bit bigger than the Race bov. I don't know if the Race bov will bolt up to the flange of the Stillen pipe. I doubt it highly, though.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:24 PM

Ive heard the Race BOV from Vortech and they sound amazing...Requin6 has one

-matt