Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Cattman headers installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 06:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Cattman headers installed

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....02#post3368002
Old 11-08-2004, 07:06 AM

wow, very nice. cant wait to see a dyno plot.

just when i thought i was done spending on this car...
Old 11-08-2004, 11:03 AM
Blu
the tits

nice is this coming from a 2.5" or 3" WSP y-pipe?
Old 11-08-2004, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by blubyu2k2
nice is this coming from a 2.5" or 3" WSP y-pipe?

2.5", mandrel bent.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:29 AM

Well it looks like i found what santa is bringing me
Old 11-09-2004, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
2.5", mandrel bent.

Stephen, did you look at hndaeater's(i think that's how you say it) dyno comparison of the header's. I don't know what the difference between your results and his would be because i think your running more boost and his is a 00-01. Would there be much of a difference?
Old 11-09-2004, 08:05 AM

Yes, I saw his dyno. He's making about 30 more peak hp, but the gains are restricted to a pretty narrow rpm band. I'm seeing gains beginning at 3500 rpm by what my datalogged runs are showing:

Old 11-09-2004, 08:18 AM

Yes, I saw his dyno. He's making about 30 more peak hp, but the gains are restricted to a pretty narrow rpm band. I'm seeing gains beginning at 3500 rpm by what my datalogged runs are showing:

Yep that is what i noticed as well, the torque does seem to have a +10 advandtage over the y pipe starting at around 3500 rpm. So the question remains, was it worth it? I just don't understand how the dyno doesn't show a bigger gain. After looking at several 1/4 mile times of ypipes vs. headers it seems the headers are far superior
Old 11-09-2004, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by chris'smax
After looking at several 1/4 mile times of ypipes vs. headers it seems the headers are far superior
What 1/4 mile times?
Old 11-09-2004, 08:43 AM

What 1/4 mile times?
No direct comparison of headers vs. y pipe, but to me it always seems maxes with headers run significantly quicker than w/y pipe. I don't have the times in front of me i am just going on my memory here.

Also did you buy the headers for the sound or performance. I ask because i am on the verge of buying these things and just want to make sure i know what i am getting into.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:54 AM

No direct comparison of headers vs. y pipe, but to me it always seems maxes with headers run significantly quicker than w/y pipe. I don't have the times in front of me i am just going on my memory here.
There has been no proof that I know of that the headers help NA Maxima performance. A couple of people are running the same times as before. I don't think the NA Maxima moves enough air to benefit from the headers. Which means the oem headers are designed pretty well.

Also did you buy the headers for the sound or performance. I ask because i am on the verge of buying these things and just want to make sure i know what i am getting into.
Both, really. I was just as interested in the sound improvement as the performance. For all out performance, Warpspeed's 3" exhaust is probably better, but I didn't want the loudness.

That being said, the Cattman headers really do increase the sound level of the Apexi catback a bit too much to suit me. But that's just me (i.e. older and more conservative than most people here). I'm now thinking of trying the 5th gen muffler.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:02 AM

There has been no proof that I know of that the headers help NA Maxima performance. A couple of people are running the same times as before. I don't think the NA Maxima moves enough air to benefit from the headers. Which means the oem headers are designed pretty well.

Both, really. I was just as interested in the sound improvement as the performance. For all out performance, Warpspeed's 3" exhaust is probably better, but I didn't want the loudness.

That being said, the Cattman headers really do increase the sound level of the Apexi catback a bit too much to suit me. But that's just me (i.e. older and more conservative than most people here). I'm now thinking of trying the 5th gen muffler.

Sounds like your in the same boat as me. i want the performance gains of a 3" exhaust but not the sound. Also i have the 5th gen muffler on and it was a deff improvement of the sound level over the aftermarket muffler i had. I noticed that warpspeed doesn't make the 3" exhast for the 5th gen. Would it be hard to custom make one. I know alot of shops around here say they can't do 3" mandrel bent.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:47 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

StephenMax - Do NOT get the 5th gen muffler. Get a 60-series Flowmaster.

SM and Chris - Have you guys considered an ATP VES?

http://www.atpturbo.com/root/releases/release091004.htm
Old 11-09-2004, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
StephenMax - Do NOT get the 5th gen muffler. Get a 60-series Flowmaster.

SM and Chris - Have you guys considered an ATP VES?

http://www.atpturbo.com/root/releases/release091004.htm

Whooaa, i have never seen that. Is this a proven product and company or is this one of those ebay type gimmick products
Old 11-09-2004, 02:49 PM

ATP is one of Garretts' exclusive distributors and makes nice albeit expensive parts.

I'd rather have a quiet somewhat restrictive 2.5" exhaust 90% of the time and the VES or e-cutout for that other 10% vs. a 3" full exhaust.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:52 PM

ATP is one of Garretts' exclusive distributors and makes nice albeit expensive parts.

I'd rather have a quiet somewhat restrictive 2.5" exhaust 90% of the time and the VES or e-cutout for that other 10% vs. a 3" full exhaust.

So from what i conclude this will give me about the same gains as a 3" exhaust. If so i am all over this like a fat kid on choclate cake
Old 11-09-2004, 02:53 PM

Basically, I'd have this installed on a custom 3"-->2.5" straight pipe to replace the cat with a Hallman $50 manual BC on the vacuum line from the engine bay through the shift console to the VES actuator.

That way I could adjust when it opens pretty easily.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:54 PM

In theory, better then a 3", since you don't have such a long length of 3" piping and bends to go around/over the rear axle or a muffler in the way of flow.

So from what i conclude this will give me about the same gains as a 3" exhaust. If so i am all over this like a fat kid on choclate cake
Old 11-09-2004, 02:57 PM

In theory, better then a 3", since you don't have such a long length of 3" piping and bends to go around/over the rear axle or a muffler in the way of flow.

I'm ordering this bish tommorow, and when i get the headers next month this thing is gonna sound and run like a champ
Old 11-09-2004, 02:59 PM

Which headers?

I'd love to hear this thing with the SC/Cattman headers.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:10 PM

Which headers?

I'd love to hear this thing with the SC/Cattman headers.

Why cattman of course. OOOO $hit here we go again. Just when i think i am done the bug bites me right in the a$$ again
Old 11-09-2004, 03:12 PM

Old 11-09-2004, 03:13 PM

BTW, this is the kind of stuff I call PIONEERING unlike our other little conversation.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:22 PM

BTW, this is the kind of stuff I call PIONEERING unlike our other little conversation.

Dude that's hitting below the belt. . Hey we all have to learn one way or another. At least i tried to learn for myself instead of taking it to a mechanic right away.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:23 PM

Do you know any car firsthand that has this?
Old 11-09-2004, 03:25 PM

No I don't, but what's the question?

Again, I have a spare ECU sitting around waiting for you to install those injectors.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:26 PM

I am considering doing this when I slap my S/C on....kinda deciding between this and keeping my WSP mandrel Y and just throwing a cut-out on there....right now my exhaust is very quiet....I have the new prototype super quiet muffler that WSP sells....kinda wanna keep it that way....but would like my car to sound better inside, just not louder...any ideas...would cattman headers do that?

on another note, hnda etr's dyno of the stillen y pipe and then the cattman headers was very impressive to say the least, he had a 20whp peak gain or so...and that was with the stillen y pipe to begin with...

I agree with stephen 100%....I have not seen a dyno yet that proves the headers are worth 3-4 times what y pipes cost....not to mention the labor is a lot more intensive....on NA maximas that is....on boosted maximas, things start to get really interesting and the headers really start to shine/merit their cost!!!
Old 11-09-2004, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by michaelnyden
I am considering doing this when I slap my S/C on....kinda deciding between this and keeping my WSP mandrel Y and just throwing a cut-out on there....right now my exhaust is very quiet....I have the new prototype super quiet muffler that WSP sells....kinda wanna keep it that way....but would like my car to sound better inside, just not louder...any ideas...would cattman headers do that?

on another note, hnda etr's dyno of the stillen y pipe and then the cattman headers was very impressive to say the least, he had a 20whp peak gain or so...and that was with the stillen y pipe to begin with...

Yeah his peak numbers are impressive, but look at the rpm range it is over. Also i think the stealin y pipe has actually been dynoed to show very slight gains over stock. I'm not downing the headers because hell i plan on getting them because i am trying to maximize my exhaust setup. Just trying to help imform you so your not dissapointed in the end
Old 11-09-2004, 08:48 PM

Basically, I'd have this installed on a custom 3"-->2.5" straight pipe to replace the cat with a Hallman $50 manual BC on the vacuum line from the engine bay through the shift console to the VES actuator.

That way I could adjust when it opens pretty easily.

Can you ellaborate on this alittle bit, i'm not sure i quite follow you here. Right now i have a test pipe. What is the Hallman manual BC
Old 11-09-2004, 08:52 PM

No I don't, but what's the question?

Again, I have a spare ECU sitting around waiting for you to install those injectors.

haha hang on to it i'll probably need it.

BTW how did you hear about this thing and why aren't more people running this?
Old 11-10-2004, 05:01 AM

check out the exhaust cut out that you can activate with a switch and not by boost. That way you can choose when it comes on. I would think that is the bettter one.
I am going for the headers!
maybe exhaust cutout on that ...
Old 11-10-2004, 05:13 AM

I'd rather have the electric controlled cutout. That way I could open it or keep it closed whenever I want, rather than it opening each and every time I make boost.

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/

I started my engine after installing the headers but before connecting them to the rest of the exhaust. It was so loud when it first started it sounded like an explosion. I don't think I would ever use a cutout except at the track, and I don't go to the track (too far away).

What would be interesting, though, is to have a dual exhaust setup with all the exhaust going either to one muffler or the other. The cutout would control which muffler the exhaust goes to. Then you could have a quiet muffler for daily driving and a flow-through muffler for performance. Might look a little funky with two different style mufflers though.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:41 AM

I'd rather have the electric controlled cutout. That way I could open it or keep it closed whenever I want, rather than it opening each and every time I make boost.

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/

I started my engine after installing the headers but before connecting them to the rest of the exhaust. It was so loud when it first started it sounded like an explosion. I don't think I would ever use a cutout except at the track, and I don't go to the track (too far away).

What would be interesting, though, is to have a dual exhaust setup with all the exhaust going either to one muffler or the other. The cutout would control which muffler the exhaust goes to. Then you could have a quiet muffler for daily driving and a flow-through muffler for performance. Might look a little funky with two different style mufflers though.
Aren't there some dangers with using a electric cuttout. I think i have heard of people cuttouts getting stuck partially open or closed.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:00 AM

Electrical parts in contact with extreme temps and road debris/water is never a good mix, however the eCutout is still a good reliable option.

I just prefer the automatic feature of the VES and being able to control at what PSI you want it to open. So, daily I'd have it set to only open above 4psi or so.

Another thing to consider is that you have a SC vs. a TC. SC is going to be VERY very loud with the cutout open, where as the turbo absorbs/reflects much of the exhaust noise. You might try dropping your straight pipe and drive around a bit to get a feel for your new Maxharley.

It will definitely turn heads when it's open. Hopefully, it's not the wrong heads.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:29 AM

Electrical parts in contact with extreme temps and road debris/water is never a good mix, however the eCutout is still a good reliable option.

I just prefer the automatic feature of the VES and being able to control at what PSI you want it to open. So, daily I'd have it set to only open above 4psi or so.

Another thing to consider is that you have a SC vs. a TC. SC is going to be VERY very loud with the cutout open, where as the turbo absorbs/reflects much of the exhaust noise. You might try dropping your straight pipe and drive around a bit to get a feel for your new Maxharley.

It will definitely turn heads when it's open. Hopefully, it's not the wrong heads.
Well from the way they word it on the website the thing opens in respect to boost level, so it wouldn't be fully open until i reach redline(or max boost) so i guess it would be quiet while just normally driving. After listening to that video on the website of the VW 1.8T it sounded pretty good. I know it will sound different on mine, but i don't think it will sound bad
Old 11-10-2004, 09:46 AM
Still Here... IM me for more..

Yeah his peak numbers are impressive, but look at the rpm range it is over. Also i think the stealin y pipe has actually been dynoed to show very slight gains over stock. I'm not downing the headers because hell i plan on getting them because i am trying to maximize my exhaust setup. Just trying to help imform you so your not dissapointed in the end
Keep in mind also, that I was totally un-tuned. I would hope that with the proper tuning, I could have spread out that range... too bad that car is RIP...
Old 11-10-2004, 09:50 AM
Still Here... IM me for more..

Running the Cattman headers on my 2K2 is still awesome, even though I'm NA (for now...) I would definitely buy them again... Michael, you can check out my car anytime... even though you never did return my phone call...
Old 11-10-2004, 09:57 AM

It's not different then a mechanical waste-gate.

You can adjust what PSI it opens via spring or boost controller/bleed valve.

Well from the way they word it on the website the thing opens in respect to boost level, so it wouldn't be fully open until i reach redline(or max boost) so i guess it would be quiet while just normally driving. After listening to that video on the website of the VW 1.8T it sounded pretty good. I know it will sound different on mine, but i don't think it will sound bad
Old 11-10-2004, 11:05 AM

That what I was trying to say Stephen Max, the electric cut would be better in my mind cause you could control it and not have it opening up when your merging on the highway or something
Old 11-10-2004, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by vortechpower
That what I was trying to say Stephen Max, the electric cut would be better in my mind cause you could control it and not have it opening up when your merging on the highway or something
Yes. I wrote my post about the electric cutout before I saw yours. Great minds and so on.

Quick Reply: Cattman headers installed