Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

89 Max update:

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 01:13 PM

89 Max update:

Hello.. Been working alot not much time left over for the Max but making small progress.

TA49 Turbo installed
370cc injectors are being cleaned and flowed
Live edit running on the laptop
Socket/s installed on the ECU/Romulator&Stock chip (done today)
Going to test Romulator/Live edit (tomorrow.)

Prepair for 370cc install and pull the tranny down and take the clutch back to "south bend clutch" a local builder to see if they can put somthing together that'll hold the power. This setup is only 3months old! Just not enough presssssure from the pressssure plate to grip the disk under boost.

That's about it for now.. More next week
Scott
Old 11-12-2004, 01:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey I know what your talking about with that clutch any wot in the higher rpms and a quick shift and there it goes slipping it a$$ off. Mine slips real bad and it a brand new clutch. Well time for the upgrade.Im working on rounding up some injectors and other misc things to get the fuel right. Right now I seem to be running realy rich according to my plugs. Due to a leak somewhere,but im still getting all 7psi in. But the power up too 4500 is pertty amaizing. I still dont push it higher right now. And if I tried the dam clutch will just cut loose.Glad to hear your still making good progress.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:44 AM

slipping away...

That's the most helpless feeling in the world.. let out the clutch.. boost comes on and it's 6000rpm right now
I've learned to ease into the throttle and when I shift let the clutch fully engage and then ease back in the throttle. 1st gears generaly ok because of the gear ratio and the tires just breaking loose but 2nd on up realy is sensitive even at 7psi. When I first put on the 49turbo I took it out for a drive and was wondering why it was slipping the clutch so bad.. looked at the boost gauge and it was seeing 11psi. So took a few more turns back out of the actuator and it's back down to 7now.
Guess I'll have to wait till next week to put it back up
The guys at South Bend Clutch sponcer a 9sec Supra so I think they can help little o' me.
~Scott
Old 11-13-2004, 06:18 AM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by Boosted Maxima
That's the most helpless feeling in the world.. let out the clutch.. boost comes on and it's 6000rpm right now
I've learned to ease into the throttle and when I shift let the clutch fully engage and then ease back in the throttle. 1st gears generaly ok because of the gear ratio and the tires just breaking loose but 2nd on up realy is sensitive even at 7psi. When I first put on the 49turbo I took it out for a drive and was wondering why it was slipping the clutch so bad.. looked at the boost gauge and it was seeing 11psi. So took a few more turns back out of the actuator and it's back down to 7now.
Guess I'll have to wait till next week to put it back up
The guys at South Bend Clutch sponcer a 9sec Supra so I think they can help little o' me.
~Scott

What clutch do you have now? I think the ACT Stage 1 is good for ~300fwHP.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:22 AM
SLOW

First I want to say your setup is going to be nice, keep up the good work.

Second, I want to say that I don't know anything about the quality of South Bend Clutch products, but I do know that they need a new driver for their shop's black and orange supra. The guy that drives it currently is horrid. Maybe they had a replacement driver in it at Battle of the Imports or something, because the best pass they made there was like 12.60 @ 140mph. The guy was cutting like 2.8 60' times lol.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:38 AM

12.60 @ 140mph he must of been spining the whole way down the track

as far as the clutch goes if south bend clutch cant get you anything (but im sure they can for a fee) i came across this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...934369294&rd=1

it has the same act pressure plate im using and mine has held up to quite abit of NO2 (7 bottles of a 75shot not to mention the 2 bottles on the 150shot and more to come) which im sure with the 150 is very close to 300whp

by the way i hope you have all the kinks worked out by christmas im anciously waiting to meet a max that has the potencial to take me
Old 11-13-2004, 08:54 AM
SLOW

Originally Posted by subs1000w
12.60 @ 140mph he must of been spining the whole way down the track
Actually he was bogging so bad he was darn near stalling. One time it did stall actually. Not impressive to say the least.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:42 PM

yeah, the guy in the supra when racing in Joliet, IL needed some help. i was hoping to see some 9 sec runs... but none of the fast cars ran fast. it was really weird. they should be able to help you out though.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:46 PM
SLOW

My friend said he saw that car go 10.60 @ 165 at my local track in Kalamazoo, MI, but I've got to believe it was a different driver because the guy driving in Joliet was having some problems.
Old 11-14-2004, 02:03 AM

Supra...

I worked on a customers Supra back in 99 that had a single turbo setup front mount ect ect. I love the cars! I'd have one but they only come with
2doors and you can't find one for under 20G that's in good shape.
I've never personaly seen the SBC supra run. Just over there in the trailer. A Dennis from A shop here in town said a few weeks ago he ran the car when it was cold... Has a carbon fiber Drive shaft.. it exploded! I guess it has to be above 50deg outside or it shatters! YIKES

Anyway, was that a suttle hint about Christmas time Subs

Thanks for the comment on my car Silver.. It's come a long way since I bought it!

My buddy at Tire Rack Hooked me up with some winter tires and rims. I'll send Mark a pic. He's also going to get me somthing better for the summer with sticky tires!!!! Wonder what's going to let loose next.. CV shafts? Tranny? Sticky tires just love breaking parts and I just love replacing them
Ps.. The clutch SBC put together for me was for a stock application at that time I never thought i'd be doing this to the car.. The disk is fine.. that's realy not the problem.. The engine just over powers the pressure plate tension and bamm.. i'm tach'd out just like that.
Thanks guys!
Scott....
Anyone going to the TX nationals? Just wondering thinking of heading down.. be a fun weekend.
Old 11-14-2004, 08:31 AM

i blew out my first gear the first day i put the drag radials on and this was before i even had nitrous but i think that was an isolated incident because some of the turbo guys go to the track with slicks which would probobly be alot more stress. the most common gear to blow is 3rd, some blow it by shifting to hard into 3rd with a good cluutch others buy just making to much power. mardi with his turbo max had the gears in the trans cryo treated and he hasnt had any problems yet and hes runing 16psi

ive never heard of any max breaking an axle
Old 11-14-2004, 12:29 PM

Boost builds Clutch slips and in a blink of an eye redlining like hell.It suck. Pertty much all day yesterday I did not drive as hard and first gear when boost kick in it would start to wheel hop then when I shifted to second the dam tires would just cut loose and spin half way through second. Got to work on that.Yeah im the same way it you mash into it hard or if you slam the throttle in fisrt,second,third or even forth the clutch will cut loose the minute you do it.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:36 PM

Now your sounding just like me silver! Guess we better quit and fix our $hit. If I'd quit I'd have it fixed by now!
I'll take the pic's of the new to me 17's on the car before I tear it down for the new clutch setup.
Seeee you guys tomorrow
Scott~
Old 11-14-2004, 07:45 PM
Still kickin'

I thought Hal had broken a couple before...could be wrong though...
Old 11-15-2004, 01:41 PM

wheels:

Old 11-15-2004, 01:42 PM

Thanks Dude!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-15-2004, 02:57 PM

i've broken one!

Old 11-15-2004, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Requin6
i've broken one!

wow i stand corrected what do you think caused the brakeage
Old 11-15-2004, 03:44 PM

i broke it at the track.

i was on street tires, but the track was overprepped and i was managing high 2.0 60's even on the street tires.

i guess it just had enough, and i caught it just right to snap it.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:49 PM
Sports Button FTW

his limited slip tranny + massive power? u ran a good time that run too but how? maybe u ran a great time before the run that the axle broke....
Old 11-15-2004, 06:05 PM

yeah it was the run right after the 12.9 that i broke it...

the run when the axle broke i made it about 20 ft...then coasted. haha.

ok back on topic...good luck with the new additions!
Old 11-16-2004, 05:27 AM

Ouch!

Yikes!
Nice Carnage.. I love breaking stuff. Oh.. guess then there's the fixing part next.. humm.. maby not so good.
Does someone make a limited slip or locker for our trannys? Might look into that sometime soon. I'm guessing that might help with torqe steer that i'm running into.
Does someone make hardend axels? Boy so many new things I have to think about now..
Old 11-16-2004, 06:15 AM
Getting back to his roots

Yikes!
Nice Carnage.. I love breaking stuff. Oh.. guess then there's the fixing part next.. humm.. maby not so good.
Does someone make a limited slip or locker for our trannys? Might look into that sometime soon. I'm guessing that might help with torqe steer that i'm running into.
Does someone make hardend axels? Boy so many new things I have to think about now..
The 5-speed from the 92-94 Maximas are VLSD. I believe they can be swapped in if you also swap the hubs and axles. As for the axles, Raxles makes 'fresh' axles (not reground), and you can have them cryo-treated for even more strength.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:38 PM

Yikes!
Hey I have a 93 vlsd and it had limted slip But I still have torqe steer in second gear realy bad.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by silverlinekenne
Hey I have a 93 vlsd and it had limted slip But I still have torqe steer in second gear realy bad.
same here when i hit the bottle in second and sometimes in 3rd only one wheel spins. im guessing the stock limited slip isnt really designed to handle lots of power
Old 11-18-2004, 02:18 AM

So what's Martigra Max using? He gota work out to hold the steering wheel or what?
Old 11-18-2004, 06:21 AM

some of the 4th gen guys have a quaife lsd unit but i think there around 1000$ and it has been discontinued

its listed here as only fiting the 95 -01 max but they all have the RS5F50A transmission which should be the same one you have

http://www.quaifeamerica.com/differe.../diff_apps.htm
Old 11-18-2004, 06:59 AM

internally they should be similar. i know for sure the bell housings are different. the way borg warner does their trannies though its hard to tell just how similar they are. i.e. using the same tranny code when it is very different just like on our cars. the RS5F50A is used on many fwd nissans but a lot of them won't interchange. they could have at least changed or added a letter or something...
[end ****ty-***-borg-warner-transmissions rant]
Old 11-18-2004, 02:44 PM

So what's Martigra Max using? He gota work out to hold the steering wheel or what?
...he's using the Quaife
Old 11-18-2004, 04:31 PM

I called some guy (don't remember company name but im sure I posted it) he told me that he could make axles for any car just send him the broken ones and he'd upgrade them to axles to handle whatever power range you can throw at him. Ill look for the post with his name and info. They cost about the same as new stock axles so thats an idea.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:07 PM
SomePsychoGuy

h2kfrosty = 3 axles (turbo 01 with sprints) got raxles finally
chris's max = 3-4 axles (SC 00 with coilovers slammed) needs raxles if he doesn't have one
h2kpinkpanther = 1 axle (98 NA stock) i don't remember whole story
ceasar = ? axles (97 NA eibach) got raxles

FI + really low seem to break axles if you are not careful
I guess down here in LA/MS area we have bad luck with axles. I know when I go turbo if not before I am going to buy myself a set of raxles axles and hopefully an LSD.

not only that but if you break one then you will break more if you don't get a good replacement. Used ones don't last. Period. He also got some shady installs and they tried to fit an 00 axle in his 01 and they are different supposedly. Broke one of them at the track the day it was installed. Raxles seems to be the best way to go.