Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Car did something quite weird yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 08:20 AM
Blu
the tits

Car did something quite weird yesterday...

Well after dynoing the car I noticed the car will not rev past 69xxrpms when it was supposed to be set at 7200 from JWT. I am also maxing out the MAF bc the a/f skyrockets past 6500 with the 3.125 pulley. The car made 323whp SAE .97 correction factor at 6800 and still climbing hitting nearly 11.5 psi. Anyway onto what this post is about.

Everything seemed just fine yesterday I went to lunch blah blah and came back without a problem. When I pulled into the parking space and put the car in neutral it felt like it flooded with fuel or something and bogged out. I let it sit for a sec and then trying cranking it back up to see wth happened...next thing I know its the loudest rod knocking bearing noise I had ever heard, and it came out of nowhere. I went and listened but I really couldn't tell if it was coming from the supercharger compressor or the motor itself at the time. It was pooring rain on my and naturally I was quite pissed so I went back into work and thought about what might have happened. I came up with nothing bc the car was fine all the way to work, to lunch and back to work.

Next I think to check the oil maybe the car leaked all the oil out that was changed 2 days before....not the case the fluid level was right on and looked as new. So I was like wtf I just let the car sit until it was time to go home. I go out at 6pm crank up the car and it sounds like marbles clacking around for a few seconds, I give it a rev it gets a little worse and then goes away. So I decide to drive it home and it hasn't happened since. I don't know what to think at first I thought the motor was done but now that its gone I dont know what to think.

Any thoughts or opinions? Blower failing Im completely lost as to what happened or what caused it. Thanks ahead!
Old 12-07-2004, 08:35 AM
SLOW

Have you checked to see if all your MEVI screws are still there. That was the first thing that came to my mind.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:45 AM
Blu
the tits

I'll check this evening. There was one already missing but I have already swapped motors since then . I'm really hoping its the blower bc I had planned to upgrade very soon anyway and the motor in the car now has less than 8k on it. Ugh at all this.....
Old 12-07-2004, 09:25 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Originally Posted by blubyu2k2
I go out at 6pm crank up the car and it sounds like marbles clacking around for a few seconds, I give it a rev it gets a little worse and then goes away.
I don't know if you're 5-speed or automagic but for an automagic
the blower bearings would give off the clacking marbles noise when you're in Drive and waiting at a stop light. When you shift it into neutral the noise will go away.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:45 AM
Blu
the tits

I'm a 5 speed and the marble noise was at idle in neutral. The weird thing is it hasn't done it since yesterday evening leaving work. Im puzzled as to whats going on.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Does it sound anything like this ??
http://www.v6atlanta.com/bijan/100_0972.MOV

What happend to Mecca
http://www.v6atlanta.com/bijan/100_0971.MOV

-matt
Old 12-07-2004, 11:18 AM
Blu
the tits

I can't view the movie clips here at work but what ended up happening with the car? What was the prospected problem?
Old 12-07-2004, 11:21 AM

I think a butterfly screw got sucked into his motor.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:21 AM

I can't view the movie clips here at work but what ended up happening with the car? What was the prospected problem?
Well when you get home youll hear it.

One of the butterfly screws fell into the engine...bent a valve or something but it sounds horrible

-matt
Old 12-07-2004, 11:22 AM
Blu
the tits

Well I just watched the video on another computer and thats pretty similar to what it was sounding like, but it hasn't done it since yesterday???
Old 12-07-2004, 11:31 AM

Well I just watched the video on another computer and thats pretty similar to what it was sounding like, but it hasn't done it since yesterday???
It could have dont a few different things...

it could have been so hot in there that the little brass screw got vaporiezed or even spit out the exhaust port before any damage was done...

I believe mecca was going 135 with the MEVI open when his screw fell in, so it did a cra* load of damage...it may have even melted right to the top of the cylinder head

When my 370's go in im going to take my manifold somewhere and see about gettin a few tach welds right on the top of those screws...I worry too much about it i just dont know if they can weld brass..hmmm

-matt
Old 12-07-2004, 11:37 AM
Blu
the tits

Originally Posted by matty
It could have dont a few different things...

it could have been so hot in there that the little brass screw got vaporiezed or even spit out the exhaust port before any damage was done...

I believe mecca was going 135 with the MEVI open when his screw fell in, so it did a cra* load of damage...it may have even melted right to the top of the cylinder head

When my 370's go in im going to take my manifold somewhere and see about gettin a few tach welds right on the top of those screws...I worry too much about it i just dont know if they can weld brass..hmmm

-matt
Well my car was at idle speed when it happened yesterday. One of the plates was already missing a screw actually the same one he lost in that video, but I left it alone. Im fixing to go check to see of I lost anymore screws, and if thats the case I guess I will do a compression test. If this motor is done this car will be done. I've had it a little over and month and that will be the 2nd motor thats fcked up. First one was my fault but this time will be too much to deal with. BTW did meccas ever quit making that god aweful noise?
Old 12-07-2004, 11:40 AM

NO...he was barely able to drive his car down his block becuase of the noise...too many people staired and the car had absolutetly NO power even with the blower on...soemthing definetly got really messed up inside

Take the cover and see what it reveales..I wouldnt have put the MEVI On with one of those butterflies being held on by ONE screw...your asking the other screw to due double the amount of work...the plate moves back and forth and all of the sudden the screws loose

-matt
Old 12-07-2004, 11:44 AM
Blu
the tits

NO...he was barely able to drive his car down his block becuase of the noise...too many people staired and the car had absolutetly NO power even with the blower on...soemthing definetly got really messed up inside

Take the cover and see what it reveales..I wouldnt have put the MEVI On with one of those butterflies being held on by ONE screw...your asking the other screw to due double the amount of work...the plate moves back and forth and all of the sudden the screws loose

-matt
Yea a dumb mistake by me, but I was told it would be ok. The car drives fine now but Im not sure if its down on power or not bc I won't push it until i know what the problem is. If no screws are missing I guess I will try and find a replacement screw to put in the vacant location. This really sucks!!!
Old 12-07-2004, 11:45 AM

if there isnt a second screw missing, it doenst suck...your fine then...as long as the motor doesnt make that noise again

-matt
Old 12-07-2004, 12:59 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Well my car was at idle speed when it happened yesterday. One of the plates was already missing a screw actually the same one he lost in that video, but I left it alone. Im fixing to go check to see of I lost anymore screws, and if thats the case I guess I will do a compression test. If this motor is done this car will be done. I've had it a little over and month and that will be the 2nd motor thats fcked up. First one was my fault but this time will be too much to deal with. BTW did meccas ever quit making that god aweful noise?

Oh man, what happend to the other motor?
Old 12-07-2004, 01:01 PM
Blu
the tits

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
Oh man, what happend to the other motor?
9800 rpms ...this isn't a guess it was recorded on the defi link.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:05 PM

9800 rpms

Like my 3rd to 2nd at 104mph I did over the summer

I knew Matt should have taught you how to drive a stick
Old 12-07-2004, 01:11 PM
Blu
the tits

Like my 3rd to 2nd at 104mph I did over the summer

I knew Matt should have taught you how to drive a stick
bastard I did the same thing 3rd gear tached into 2nd VROOOOOOOOOOOM!!! It did it effortless too
Old 12-07-2004, 01:17 PM

bastard I did the same thing 3rd gear tached into 2nd VROOOOOOOOOOOM!!! It did it effortless too
that was the worst feeling wasn't it? When I did it I was on the highway and the car felt alright right after it happend....I was like thank God I did not fuc anything up. then when I came a stop at a toll both a mile later the whole car started shaking and I could hear the valves ticking.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:19 PM
Blu
the tits

that was the worst feeling wasn't it? When I did it I was on the highway and the car felt alright right after it happend....I was like thank God I did not fuc anything up. then when I came a stop at a toll both a mile later the whole car started shaking and I could hear the valves ticking.
yup I know the feeling all to well.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:38 PM
living out of a maxima...

Does it sound anything like this ??
http://www.v6atlanta.com/bijan/100_0972.MOV

What happend to Mecca
http://www.v6atlanta.com/bijan/100_0971.MOV

-matt
that's exactly what mine sounded like when it ate a MEVI screw. rediculously loud knocking noise and no power. them bishes are welded on this time!
Old 12-07-2004, 04:35 PM
VQ Wizard

Well we took the cover off and all the screws where in tact....The compression was between 188-204 across the board. The motor has approx 7500 miles on it as of right now, the motor was bought with approx 5k on it. So Im still puzzled as to what the problem is, Im guessing the blower is starting to die on me although everything seems fine now. All I can say is the car feels a quite a bit down on power but idles fine and sounds fine now. Anyone have any thoughts to add now?

Edit: was signed on as SR20DEN
Old 12-07-2004, 04:43 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

did you do a compression test?
Old 12-07-2004, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by slimer
did you do a compression test?
Did you read his post?
Old 12-07-2004, 05:36 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

yeah, but it just seems funny
Old 12-07-2004, 05:52 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
Edit: was signed on as SR20DEN
^~~~Blu

I am going to have to forbid you to touch the computer at work.

I ran the comp check and it appears that this very low mileage engine is still VERY healthy. It idles smooth and the exhaust pulses are equal. So whatever the problem is, certainly isn't the longblock.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:55 PM
SLOW

well good that it's not the engine, though that now poses the problem of figuring out what the heck it was.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:43 AM
Blu
the tits

any other thoughts of what this might be? I know the car is down on power bc the results of my sprint were totally different with Matt and I can feel the car seems sluggish. Last night the window switch LED started blinking out of the blue also. I don't know whats wrong but its annoying especially not being Mr. Mechanic and knowing how to fix everything. BTW is there a certain type of screw that the butterfly plates need or will any screw work? I want to replace the one that was missing upon inspection when I got the car taking the first motor out.

Matt
Old 12-08-2004, 05:05 AM

Which blower do you have? I know when my v1 started going bad it sound like it had some loose bolts or something flopping inside. Im not sure it was loud enough to describe your issue though. My car did feel more sluggish but I still reached full boost. At first the sound was only audible when I would rev. You may want to check pulley on blower, make sure it has not moved or become lose. Or, who knows.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:10 AM
Blu
the tits

Originally Posted by vortechpower
Which blower do you have? I know when my v1 started going bad it sound like it had some loose bolts or something flopping inside. Im not sure it was loud enough to describe your issue though. My car did feel more sluggish but I still reached full boost. At first the sound was only audible when I would rev. You may want to check pulley on blower, make sure it has not moved or become lose. Or, who knows.
I have the V1 S trim, and the noise you describe is similar to what I heard for a few seconds. The same with my car it still reaches full boost but just doesn't seem to have the top end pull it once had. Everything is tight and working properly and the sound is gone, but the car is still sluggish.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:02 AM

So, you went for a full boost run. Then once you came to a stop is when you heard the noise? That is basically how mine happened. In fact the first time I had this happen my pulley did come loose and slid over towards the motor. Actually grinding into to the timing chain cover! That noise was loud enough to make me think I busted my motor. Have you reved motor while in engine bay and listened to blower real close? I could hear a faint knock that would start at about 2500-3000 rpm, I could only really hear it on deceleration. The sound would speed up and slow down with the blower. I probably put another 5k or less on it and now it is back in cali at vortech. How many miles do you have on your v1? Oh, I forgot to tell you that the little metal peice that slides in between the blower shaft and pulley... mine had almost completely descintegrated! Have you noticed any brownish color dust like build up around/on the inside of blower pulley? That is what that little "key" looks like in toasted powder form. I had to go to a machine shop and have some made out of some real strong ****, some kinda tool metal or something. I guess this began to happen since blower was not rotating smoothly and or bearings were going bad. Have not heard back from vortech and it has been 7 business days since they recieved my package.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:12 AM
Blu
the tits

So, you went for a full boost run. Then once you came to a stop is when you heard the noise? That is basically how mine happened. In fact the first time I had this happen my pulley did come loose and slid over towards the motor. Actually grinding into to the timing chain cover! That noise was loud enough to make me think I busted my motor. Have you reved motor while in engine bay and listened to blower real close? I could hear a faint knock that would start at about 2500-3000 rpm, I could only really hear it on deceleration. The sound would speed up and slow down with the blower. I probably put another 5k or less on it and now it is back in cali at vortech. How many miles do you have on your v1?
not really sure on the mileage and I will double check the alignment of the pulley later today. I will also rev in the engine bay and see if I can determine if the blower is making any unordinary noise. Its just so loud its hard to hear anything at all. BTW it happened when I parked coming back from lunch. I put the car in neutral and it bogged out like it flooded with fuel or something. When I cranked it back up it was doing it, but it hasnt done anything since, thats why Im puzzled. The compression is fine, plugs looked fine, and the car idles smooth as it gets, but its down on power quite a bit. If it is the blower which im hoping I wont be too upset bc I had planned to upgrade to the T-Trim very soon anyway this will just speed up the process somewhat.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:27 AM

Speaking of T-trim. What do you think about the E-trim. It looks to me to be better for our cars. Higher rpm efficiency. Better efficiency. Any extra info I am not getting from the vortech site?
Old 12-08-2004, 06:30 AM

not really sure on the mileage and I will double check the alignment of the pulley later today. I will also rev in the engine bay and see if I can determine if the blower is making any unordinary noise. Its just so loud its hard to hear anything at all. BTW it happened when I parked coming back from lunch. I put the car in neutral and it bogged out like it flooded with fuel or something. When I cranked it back up it was doing it, but it hasnt done anything since, thats why Im puzzled. The compression is fine, plugs looked fine, and the car idles smooth as it gets, but its down on power quite a bit. If it is the blower which im hoping I wont be too upset bc I had planned to upgrade to the T-Trim very soon anyway this will just speed up the process somewhat.

My car only made that really loud knocking noise once, the first time. After that it was a suttle noise that only myself and a few other that knew my car could hear. Maybe that sound is the first step to a bad blower.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:45 AM
Blu
the tits

Speaking of T-trim. What do you think about the E-trim. It looks to me to be better for our cars. Higher rpm efficiency. Better efficiency. Any extra info I am not getting from the vortech site?
T-trim will make more power at lower rpms which is what I want. Im not really worried about the rpm efficiency bc I know that a T-trim at the track will outperform an E-trim bc of power gained throughout the rpm range vs just being more efficient at peak. Mardigras ran 15psi which was really overspinning the V1 S-trim and never ran into problems. IMO for what I want it for T-trim > E-Trim
Old 12-08-2004, 06:48 AM
Blu
the tits

My car only made that really loud knocking noise once, the first time. After that it was a suttle noise that only myself and a few other that knew my car could hear. Maybe that sound is the first step to a bad blower.
so far thats what it seems like bc it hasn't done it since, not to mention the same sort or thing happened to you. BTW about upgrading the blower you will have to call Vortech and give them the serial # on the blower plate to see if its even upgradable. Some V1's aren't upgradable, and im not sure if you can upgrade a V1 S-trim to a V2 E-trim but I haven't called to ask.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:28 AM

I know you can't or am almost positive you can't just upgrade from v1 S-trim to a v2 E-trim. I spoke with them, I told them my blower had 97k on it and was from mid 99. The guy told me it was $817. or something (to upgrade) . (jamie I think) Can you get the T- trim upgrade from the v1 s-trim? I am not questioning your knowledge (cause I don't know) , how do you know the T-trim will build boost faster. For ex. faster then the E-trim? I am not seeing a way to compare the 2 . I guess I am asking what tells you that the T- trim will react this way and the other will not. Im trying to go fast too!
Old 12-08-2004, 07:54 AM
Blu
the tits

I know you can't or am almost positive you can't just upgrade from v1 S-trim to a v2 E-trim. I spoke with them, I told them my blower had 97k on it and was from mid 99. The guy told me it was $817. or something (to upgrade) . (jamie I think) Can you get the T- trim upgrade from the v1 s-trim? I am not questioning your knowledge (cause I don't know) , how do you know the T-trim will build boost faster. For ex. faster then the E-trim? I am not seeing a way to compare the 2 . I guess I am asking what tells you that the T- trim will react this way and the other will not. Im trying to go fast too!
My V1 is upgradable to the T-trim I have already got a local shop to call in and get a quote. The T-trim is more efficient in the lower rpm range from what I have been told by many high HP mustang guys. The T-trim does not need to spin the living daylights out of it to make power. I want more power throughout the rev range not just more power available if I wanted to rev higher which is why I have decided on the T-trim and my S-trim is upgradable so that made the decision a little easier. It is costly and most would say it wouldn't be worth it, but I want to try something different and the S-trim just doesn't make enough power down low to make me happy. BTW the T-trim is rated to make more HP without revving as high also but thats a given and is stated on the vortech site. T-trim 825hp less revs > E-trim 750 more revs. Actually I dont even see the E-trim on Vortechs site now but I believe those where the ratings.

I didn't mean the T-trim would build boost faster I meant it will make more power at the same boost levels that the S-trim is making.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:08 AM

cool. I am going to call today. I would like to make more power throughout as well. With v1 now it seems like against fast cars I am always having to catch up or don't feel like I get much of a jump. It sucks to wait until 5k to be making 5psi (3.125) and the other 5 at 6550. So basicaly I make a whole 10psi for about 1/10 of a second. So basicaly your saying the T-trim will allow more boost at lower engine rpm , say 5psi at 4k ? Sorry I am hammering you with Q's. T -trim will "spool up" faster is what im understanding.

Quick Reply: Car did something quite weird yesterday...