Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Vibration Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 08:47 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Vibration Noise?

After swapping out the 3.33" pulley with the 3.125 and cutting off the post for belt clearance I've noticed a different noise emanating from the V2 blower. I've had some belt slippage recently when the cold weather came along and I thought that was the cause. Last night I tightened the belt a bit more and was able to twist the belt in my fingers to probably a 100 degree angle. Earlier it was almost 130 degrees. I've eliminated the slippage but the noise is present when I'm idling at a stop light while in Drive. Shifting into neutral eliminates the noise.

Now I've been through the early stages of bearing wear over a year ago and could describe the harsh noise as "marbles in a tin can". The shift into neutral was a temporary solution from my previous bearing problem. This time around it sounds similar and yet different, like a vibration noise. I'm wondering if its that section of belt thats vibrating between the idler pulley and the 3.125" pulley or if its from the bearings from the time I tried to take the stuck 3.33" pulley off of the spindle without access to a pulley puller or because of the colder weather. I had at first tapped the 3.33" pulley with a hammer to try to jar it loose and then tried to slip a piece of wood underneath the pulley and between the blower body and tapped it with a hammer to force the pulley to lift off.

Has anyone else encountered this? What do you guys think?
Old 12-08-2004, 01:39 PM

Kinda like a grinding sound rotating? My brothers v2 makes that sound
Old 12-15-2004, 08:17 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Since the weather has gotten warmer I loosened the belt last night hoping that it would help take away the noise but its still there, albeit not as noisy as before. It could be just the belt tension or the cold snap we've had.

I'm just wondering how you guys check your belt tension. I grab the section of belt that is exposed at the very bottom (the compressor pulleys?) with my fingers and twist it so that it looks to be about 135 degree angle.

I've watched the belt as the engine was idling and the section of belt from the blower pulley to the tensioner pulley vibrates very slightly. The belt tracks nicely in the middle of the pulleys and is in alignment as it runs through the pulleys. A few spirited runs did not cause the belt to jump either which is a good thing!

I've taken my ratchet with an extension bar on it and put my ear to the blower. It sounds ok while idling but when I put it into Drive the tone changes to that stupid sound.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It's strange that the noise goes away when you shift into neutral. You have an automatic, right? Does the idle speed increase when in neutral? If so, then I'm guessing the noise is due to an increase in play between the step-up gears inside. The gears may be rattling against each other at idle because of the extra clearance. Maybe when you removed the pulley you knocked it out of adjustment.

When the engine idles at a higher rpm the blower pumps more air and that is enough to keep the gears in contact and the noise goes away. This is what normally happens with a V1 blower all the time, which comes from the factory with a certain amount of clearance between the straight cut spur gears. V2's have helical gears which allow for considerably less clearance without binding and thus are quieter.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:49 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Yep, its an automatic. Now that you've mention idle speed I do recall that if the speed dips below 800rpm the noise shows up. Above 800rpm the noise isn't there. I've tried adjusting the idle speed before but I've had no success.

As for the gears being knocked out of alignment I did rap on the spindle with a hammer a couple of times to jar the pulley loose. Wonder if that caused the cause?

I also checked the oil feed line just to make sure oil was going into the blower and it was fine.