Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Anybody running SC without A/C?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 07:46 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Anybody running SC without A/C?

I've always wondered what the secondary idler pulley is for. I just realized that it is there to make the belt firmly contact the Alt pulley. I don't have A/C and therefore never thought of this. So, if the route is clear between the SC pulley and the Alt pulley there should be plenty of friction to turn the Alt pulley because the belt wraps around it at least 70 degrees and then heads to the crank; no? Is there a straight shot between the SC pulley and the Alt pulley or does the bracket/blower get in the way? I'm posing this thought because I'd like to eliminate the secondary pulley. It'll be one less thing to track down used.

Also, if anyone is running SC without A/C, what size belt are you running with what pulley? I'm thinking of doing the 3.25. I guess I can just whip out a string but I'd like to be ahead of the game if possible.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:34 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

bracket gets in the way, thats why its there.

do you see the holes on the reinforced parts and the parts where the allen bolts are?

Those are mounting points for the timing chain cover (holes) and for the blower (allen bolts)

that is the bracket that we have been talking about over pm. i have an extra set of allen bolts if you want those included.
Steve
Old 02-01-2005, 11:03 PM

Do you have any problems with the paint coming off the mounting bracket? I see you painted yours....
Old 02-01-2005, 11:08 PM

ferhan did that, i dont know what he used.

i just painted the one that i have now, but i'm covering it with 650 degree clearcoat. i will let you know how it holds up.
Steve
Old 02-01-2005, 11:48 PM

Ah, cool. ...........
Old 02-02-2005, 09:25 AM
2060lbs and falling...

That is the engine side of the bracket; no? Anyone got a pic of the blower side? Where is the crack you speak of? Or was this before the crack occured?
Old 02-02-2005, 09:34 AM

its not a crack, the piece is missing

its on the right side of the picture

this is the part that is missing
Old 02-02-2005, 09:41 AM
2060lbs and falling...

Dude, that should be no problem to repair. Two minutes with a MIG. Does the belt run by that portion? If so I'll have to grind away the weld afterward. I was thinking like it was cracked in half so it would be a possibility of throwing off the alignment. I'd probably paint mine black so thats no biggy. Hey glad you got a website finally. Thanks for the pics. You should link the website in your profile so I got something to look at.

Which part of the bracket gets in the way? Is it a lip that can be ground away or is it one of the columns that the blower mounts to? If it is a column could it be modded to be moved out of the way. All this said, I think the secondary idler pulley is there so the belt will firmly contact the Alt. As I mentioned, without A/C the belt will wrap around the Alt pulley a lot more. This is all speculation. But I'm prepared to do a lot to get rid of that secondary pulley. It adds a lot of drag to the system.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:49 AM

the secondary idler pulley fits there, so if you get your goal, you wont even have to bother.

you migh have trouble routing the belt, but its your project man
Steve
Old 02-02-2005, 10:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The secondary idler pulley is also there to maximize wrap around the blower pulley so that you minimize the possibility of belt slip, especially with smaller pullies.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:50 AM
2060lbs and falling...

So that whole broken off arm acts as a guide for the idler? It would be awesome to reduce weight there too.

Thats a good point Stephen. I hadn't thought of that. Do you ever experience belt slip? You are currently on the 3" pulley?
Old 02-02-2005, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Broaner
So that whole broken off arm acts as a guide for the idler? It would be awesome to reduce weight there too.

Thats a good point Stephen. I hadn't thought of that. Do you ever experience belt slip? You are currently on the 3" pulley?
I did when I switched from the 3.25" to the 3" pulley. Just needed a little more belt tension. I just recently went to 2.87". I haven't noticed any slip yet, but I haven't wrung it out too far, either. As soon as we get over this wet spell I'll take it up to redline.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:32 PM
2060lbs and falling...

I'll just have to hope that overtightening the belt eliminate slippage in my situation.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:35 PM

I'll just have to hope that overtightening the belt eliminate slippage in my situation.
You want just enough belt tension to prevent slip. I like to start out on the loose side and tighten 1/2 turn of the tensioner at a time until slip stops.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:49 PM

can't wait to see your dyno with the 2.87 pulley! what were you putting down with the 3"? 348whp or something after you got the headers on?
Old 02-02-2005, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
You want just enough belt tension to prevent slip. I like to start out on the loose side and tighten 1/2 turn of the tensioner at a time until slip stops.
thats what i do as well
Old 02-02-2005, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by michaelnyden
can't wait to see your dyno with the 2.87 pulley! what were you putting down with the 3"? 348whp or something after you got the headers on?
Yes, and then 358 after converting from MEVI to 00VI. (364 if you remove all the curve smoothing, but that's cheating. I still like to mention it, though.)
Old 02-02-2005, 07:25 PM

so you gained 10whp with just the 00VI over the MEVI? how much wtq did you gain?

how much are you hoping to hit now...?
Old 02-04-2005, 09:27 AM

so you gained 10whp with just the 00VI over the MEVI? how much wtq did you gain?

how much are you hoping to hit now...?
About 14.5 ft-lb. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=363192

With the 2.87 I am hoping to hit 370 hp, 290 tq
Old 02-04-2005, 12:19 PM

so wait....370whp would put 370cc injectors @ 100% DC and you still have to pump up the fuel pressure using a FPR or something to 75psi? or are you saying right now at 358whp you are already at 100% DC on the 370's and 75psi fuel pressure at WOT?

not to jack this thread, but also, one guy in that thread mentioned you are running a tad bit lean in the lor-midrange area...but wouldn't the very conservative JWT timing take care of that especially in hot weather...I would assume the JWT conservative timing would be a good thing when it leans out like that...but others are telling you to toss it out and go e-manage and bump up that timing....if you were to do it all over again and Zemulator and e-manage were not an option...would you ask JWT to give you different timing then what their S/C program currently provides? if so what would it be b/c I am about to send mine in for that program...

what exactly is the timing found in the S/C JWT ecu program? have you ever recorded/mapped/logged it?
Old 02-04-2005, 01:01 PM

Six 370 cc/min injectors are good for about 420 hp at 100% duty cycle, 43 psi fuel pressure across the injector, and a BSFC of .5 lb/hp-hr That comes out to about 350 hp at the wheel, which I am exceeding by a little bit. Plus my bsfc may be more like .55 lb/hp-hr, so I am definitely already hitting 100% DC. That is why I have my fuel pressure bumped up with the Cartech fmu when I'm boosting.

I have never logged timing. Someday I'd like to get an Auterra and do that.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:26 PM

but the amount you are adding with the cartech is only a tiny bit up top I would imagine...since you are barely over the injectors capabilities...

the only reason I ask, is cause I have 370's...and plan on stopping @ 350whp or so...I know a lot of people say it, but I will actually stop there and start saving money for once...!!! so I should be fine without any fuel management and only 370's...good deal...

whatever my next car will be, all bets are off 350whp will definitely not be the limit...!

so know that you are moving to the 2.87 pulley...does that mean the 3" is for sale?
Old 02-04-2005, 10:36 PM
2060lbs and falling...

No problem jacking the thread. These are all questions I had anyway. I have the same plans as you except even more conservative. I want to go with the 3.25 and stop at the 290-300WHP that I think it will give.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:59 AM

well I figure with my mevi, jwt S/C program with 370's and Z32 maf, CAI, and headers with a high flow cat and catback, and maybe an electric exhaust cutout, and the 3.125 I should be pullin 340whp or so....since requin6 with stock catback and a y pipe and a CAI with MEVI pulls 320whp...with headers and catback and high flow cat, I would figure another 20whp and hopefully another 10whp with the exhaust cutout since it would in the y pipe section of the headers...so they would flow "like" a 3" catback from there (of course that is entirely speculation)...I wonder how it would sound putting 2 cutout's in each primary...would that result in even better preformance? but would it sound like 2--3 cylinder engines is the question...

so yeah, with a mevi and CAI, and a y pipe with catback setup....you should be able to pull off 300whp...the former owner of my S/C kit was pushing 290 with y pipe, USIM, catback, and CAI but that was on a 3.125...and tuned a little on the rich side...

so how 'bout it stephen max....you sellin your 3" pulley if your goin' with the 2.87? I wouldn't mind 1st dibs...
Old 02-05-2005, 10:28 AM
2060lbs and falling...

Yeah I'm being optimistic in hoping for 300WHP. My final setup will be no power steering, no secondary idler, no A/C, EH'ed and flow coated USIM, ported TB, CAI, lightened crank pulley, Very short 2.5" catback. I'm kinda set on the 3.25. I can't decide though because going to the .125 complicates fuel delivery a lot but would almost definitely put me in the 300 wheel club. Why is it human nature to strive for even numbers?

Is a super similar to turbo in that it changes the exhaust note dramatically? I wouldn't think so because there is no turbine to lower the volume. So if the exhaust note remains basically the same when supercharged the open primaries would sound fine. Besides, who cares what it sounds like? The only time you'd be using it is when you were racing. If you opened them up on the street you'd have cops on you in moments. Also, space is limited in that area so I think you'll have a tough time cramming one on the right bank. The front would be no problem. Also, having them in the engine bay would greatly increase underhood temps.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:20 AM

well I meant near the y pipe....like right before each primary connects together in the collector which it actually doesn't really do in the cattman headers...

but without the MEVI or 00VI...your 300whp would take everything you mentioned above....so I still think it's achievable....but you would probably with a MEVI not need to lighten the crank pulley, take off your AC.....power steering, secondary idler, port your TB, etc....nonetheless, if you do all of the things you said, I do believe 300whp would be very possible!

my ultimate goal is 340/350 as I said...which is a tall goal....but I think with headers in the there which is almost automatic 20whp at peak...and a cutout or a move to a 3" pulley instead of the cutout....would put me at that magic #...your tq on the other hand if staying with the USIM will be crazy!!! compared to what mine will be....

but yeah a turbo significantly changes the sound of exhaust b/c the exhaust side of the turbo as you said acts like a resonator of sorts...a S/C'ed setup still will change the exhaust note over an NA maxima in the sense that there is a whole lot more air coming through....but it won't change it nearly as much...
Old 02-05-2005, 11:53 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Forgot to mention no cat. I have already removed my A/C so I'm used to that. I have already removed the PS but have not driven with it yet. I'm fairly sure I'll be fine without because the car is getting so much lighter. I know MEVI would be the much easier method but I'm not the type to fiddle with all the variable BS.

Are you saying two seperate cutouts? I don't really see much benefit of that because of the underhood heat negating the reduced flow hindrances.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:20 AM

well....3 cylinders putting out X amount of flow...through a whatever diameter pipe each primary is on the cattman headers....vs...where they come together in the pipe and flow twice as much through piping which is only slightly larger (at 2.5")...and they would only be open for absolute power so wouldn't the air coming in from the engine bay push that backwards and away I would think as the cut-outs would be as low as possible on each primary so it would still kinda be near the collector area and underneath the car...

I dunno...just a thought....I will probably for cost just end up putting the cut-out somewhere near the flew section or something...
Old 02-06-2005, 08:15 AM

so how 'bout it stephen max....you sellin your 3" pulley if your goin' with the 2.87? I wouldn't mind 1st dibs...
Somebody already called dibs on it, but I'm not ready to sell it yet, anyway.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:50 AM
2060lbs and falling...

Do you have a specific cutout in mind? I was entertaining the idea but all I can find are the vacum controlled type.

Do you have a 3.25 Stephen or 3.125 laying around?
Old 02-06-2005, 09:18 AM

Do you have a specific cutout in mind? I was entertaining the idea but all I can find are the vacum controlled type.

Do you have a 3.25 Stephen or 3.125 laying around?
I've got a 3.25 pulley. I'm keeping it, too, just in case I ever sell the kit.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:27 AM

the 3" pulley is the one I want....
stephenmax, if that person doesn't want, I will...

as for the cutout, there looks to be a really good electric one made by these folks:
http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/...ct_detail&p=71
for $189.99
Old 02-06-2005, 11:59 AM
2060lbs and falling...

Cool. I wonder if they frequently have leaks.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:12 PM

that would be a concern of mine as well...I wonder what kind of warranty they have...

I know of a 3rd gen that has one of these....he has vids too of how it sounds before and after....it takes like 3 seconds to fully open I think...
Old 02-06-2005, 06:55 PM
2060lbs and falling...

3 seconds? That is a lot for such a small device. Not that it really matters though. The only time you'll be using this will be at a track so it isn't like you need to open it at a stop light. Are you refering to Aaron92SE? He has done some wild NA stuff and I'm sure his exhaust cutout attributes to his impressive 1/4 mile times quite a bit.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:29 PM

so just imagine the gains with a boosted maxima...I will ask aaron if he has ever had any problems with it or leaks...

I know some company also makes a boost actuated one as well..
Old 02-06-2005, 08:07 PM
2060lbs and falling...

I believe those are designed more for turbo's. It doesn't really make sense to have it boost acutated. Having it on a switch would be much more desireable for me.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:10 PM

it is designed for turboed cars....and it doesn't make sense...which is why I won't be getting that one...
Old 02-20-2005, 12:18 PM
NWP Engineering.com

3 seconds? That is a lot for such a small device. Not that it really matters though. The only time you'll be using this will be at a track so it isn't like you need to open it at a stop light. Are you refering to Aaron92SE? He has done some wild NA stuff and I'm sure his exhaust cutout attributes to his impressive 1/4 mile times quite a bit.
I shave exactly .15 with the cutout open compared to it being closed with the stock catback piping and muffler. Yes, it takes about 3 seconds for it to open. Check out my website for vids.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:45 PM

oh...so with an aftermarket catback system...it wouldn't be nearly as much...altough I would still wonder what it would do for a boosted max with cattman headers placed right when each bank forms the collector section...right after that...I would think you could easily get the gain of a 3" system without the noise or low-end torque loss...or maybe even more gain, as the 3" exhaust boosted maxima guys are seeing huge gains from their 3" setups on S/C'ed maximas...but are still running the stock headers which are restrictive as evidenced by the fact that the cattman headers are showing a 20whp on S/C'ed maximas with only 2.5" systems...so with the cutout it would be like coupling high flow headers with a 3" system...

Quick Reply: Anybody running SC without A/C?