Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Serious Sc Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 04:25 PM

Serious Sc Question

alright now i have a another question.......with the supercharger for our cars i undestand that it comes with a certain blower correct.......and it breaths at a certain rpm right.....so could we get a bigger blower that blows at a higher rpm....lets say the v1 blows at 50,000 then u upgrade to a blower that blows at 65,000 to 70,000 would that give you more power the one with the higher rpms....would we even be able to do that.................i have another question about BOV's but ima wait till i have this answered first.....gimme all the knowledge i need to kno and more........A.S.A.P
Old 03-04-2005, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by datboimell
alright now i have a another question.......with the supercharger for our cars i undestand that it comes with a certain blower correct.......and it breaths at a certain rpm right.....so could we get a bigger blower that blows at a higher rpm....lets say the v1 blows at 50,000 then u upgrade to a blower that blows at 65,000 to 70,000 would that give you more power the one with the higher rpms....would we even be able to do that.................i have another question about BOV's but ima wait till i have this answered first.....gimme all the knowledge i need to kno and more........A.S.A.P
hey your on the right track! That's why I am contemplating the T-trim. but I figure I might as well blow up the s-trim first, thats why I am putting on a 2.62 pulley! And your right about rpm but you also have to look at the efficiency..i assume your looking at the vortech web page?

What you also have to look at is the over all size of the blower i.e inlet/exhaust size and case size otherwise it wont fit our car.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:04 PM

so in otherwords i could make more power from a blower that spins at higher rpms...but the inlet/outlet has to be able to fit .......wouldnt i be able to get custom piping and all....And i was lookin at the vortech page...im tryin to find out as much as possible with the supercharger............
Old 03-04-2005, 06:18 PM

Well actually, unless you wanna cut into the frame of the car there is no way in hell your gonna fit one of those larger s/c in our car. And no the size alone of the inlet/outlet ofthe s/c isn't what determines boost. Here is the main problem with our s/c setup once you surpass the magic 50,000 rpm of the best efficiency of blower you start creating excesss heat and more boost, however the excess heat can be detrimental to the car and cause much higher combustion chamber temps therefore causing a better chance detonation and mechanical prblems. Thats Why after looking at the flow of the t trim vs the s trim the t trim would be better however Iam not the goodat reading the graghs and more of a trial and error person!

Basically I "feel" that running a 3.33 pulley on a V-2 is too much heat for the head gasket and motor to handle.....so .....i decided against most peoples thoughts on here to do a FMIC... I lost 3-4 psi of boost but I don't think I ahve lost any power. The car is definately much more streetable and i feel safer especially during the summer. So now I am ready for more boost which means big injectors and emanage..and well....bascially.....if I don't the perforamance I want I'll probably sell the blower and get a turbo and weld up some piping because now I have everything it takes to do turbo.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:34 PM

alright then i'll skip on the pondering to upgrade a SC....i probly just pull the most power out of the SC, and if i craze more i'll just go turbo and i mean serious turbo ND BUILT out the bottom end and the head.....thanks for the infoo.....oh one more things.....can a supercharger be outfitted with a BOV of any kind.......i like the sound of a SC but a turbo sound shatters it.....
Old 03-05-2005, 03:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by crewchief264
Well actually, unless you wanna cut into the frame of the car there is no way in hell your gonna fit one of those larger s/c in our car. And no the size alone of the inlet/outlet ofthe s/c isn't what determines boost. Here is the main problem with our s/c setup once you surpass the magic 50,000 rpm of the best efficiency of blower you start creating excesss heat and more boost, however the excess heat can be detrimental to the car and cause much higher combustion chamber temps therefore causing a better chance detonation and mechanical prblems. Thats Why after looking at the flow of the t trim vs the s trim the t trim would be better however Iam not the goodat reading the graghs and more of a trial and error person!

Basically I "feel" that running a 3.33 pulley on a V-2 is too much heat for the head gasket and motor to handle.....so .....i decided against most peoples thoughts on here to do a FMIC... I lost 3-4 psi of boost but I don't think I ahve lost any power. The car is definately much more streetable and i feel safer especially during the summer. So now I am ready for more boost which means big injectors and emanage..and well....bascially.....if I don't the perforamance I want I'll probably sell the blower and get a turbo and weld up some piping because now I have everything it takes to do turbo.

After looking at two different setups, one blower clocked up wards and the other clocked downward, thats a good idea. Mad props to those two members for doing that. If I was to do a FMIC I d definitely would go 2.87 with a FMIC. I am about to get a SCer in the mail for my 95. All I need now is the piping and the FMIC. Is time to try somethin new to see if in fact the FMIC is a POS idea or will it be good. Clocking the blower downwards that would help alot. The air has to travel just a bit longer but not by much if since the blower is pointed downwards. That eliminates two bends right off the back.

Ill tryto keep you guys posted.

Piping Ill be fabricating that myself
Old 03-05-2005, 06:07 AM

jay,
The only reason i didn't clock mine is cause I didn't want to lose the wiper washer tank. however I think I'll probably relocate the tank and I'm going to try and clock mine down also and weld up some different pipes! I bet that'll be worth atleast 1-2 psi!
Old 03-05-2005, 10:47 AM

i kno this is a stupid question but wut is an FMIC.....i new to some of this stuff so bare with me.....i dont kno much on ECU's and all that and no answer my queston about the BOV??????
Old 03-05-2005, 12:07 PM

I apologize,

Yes you can use whatever bov you want, greddy, blitz, hks, vortech whatever..... you'll just have to make sure you have the right flange on the pipe or have one made and welded on. FMIC is a front mount intercooler. And as for ecu stuff man that is huge ball of info... read some of the posts in here there has been a lot of talk about it.
If you have any questions pm me and I'll try and help but some of the other guys on here have way may knowledge than I do.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:42 PM

thanks fo the info and if i need anything else i'll just pm you or just post it up u kno sooooooooooo.....im off to do more reseach.........thanks agin......
Old 03-06-2005, 09:33 PM

i kno this is a stupid question but wut is an FMIC.....i new to some of this stuff so bare with me.....i dont kno much on ECU's and all that and no answer my queston about the BOV??????
FMIC= front mount inter cooler
Tech we use a FMAC (front mount after cooler)
Old 03-07-2005, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by LatinMax
FMIC= front mount inter cooler
Tech we use a FMAC (front mount after cooler)
If you really want to get technical, everybody in the automotive world uses an aftercooler. An intercooler is a heat exchanger between the two compressors of a two stage compressor system, so that heat generated in the first stage can be expelled before entering the second stage, thus improving efficiency.

We just have a single stage system with a heat exchanger after the blower, so strictly speaking there is no "inter".

The term intercooler came into popular usage among car people when Volvo came out with turbocharged cars with aftercoolers in the 70's, and they advertised the aftercooler as an intercooler.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
If you really want to get technical, everybody in the automotive world uses an aftercooler. An intercooler is a heat exchanger between the two compressors of a two stage compressor system, so that heat generated in the first stage can be expelled before entering the second stage, thus improving efficiency.

We just have a single stage system with a heat exchanger after the blower, so strictly speaking there is no "inter".

The term intercooler came into popular usage among car people when Volvo came out with turbocharged cars with aftercoolers in the 70's, and they advertised the aftercooler as an intercooler.
I did not know that. But I do remember the turbo Volvo's.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:57 PM

alright now another question.....im not to sure im gonna say this right but when boosting whether it be SC or TC........when u add low compression pistons into the mix would u get more boost.........im not sure on how the high and lower compression things work and just to let u kno i picked a new engine today for 400$ with 32K on it...id tell u how i got it but its a long funny story and i dont wanna write it right now but next time i'll tell ya...the motor is in my shed on an engine stand waiting to be built...any suggestions on wut to do first....i got a MEVI comin next week.....thats the first mod........yea i need an explaination of the pistons with the compression stuff thanks man.....
Old 03-08-2005, 06:26 PM

alright now another question.....im not to sure im gonna say this right but when boosting whether it be SC or TC........when u add low compression pistons into the mix would u get more boost.........im not sure on how the high and lower compression things work and just to let u kno i picked a new engine today for 400$ with 32K on it...id tell u how i got it but its a long funny story and i dont wanna write it right now but next time i'll tell ya...the motor is in my shed on an engine stand waiting to be built...any suggestions on wut to do first....i got a MEVI comin next week.....thats the first mod........yea i need an explaination of the pistons with the compression stuff thanks man.....
Lower compression pistons allow for high boost with less risk of damage to the motor.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:49 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

but they also have worse gas mileage and unless you have a high turbo setup (like 15 psi) there really is no need.

I know it sounds funny that 15psi is high, but this is a na 3.0 motor that we are working with.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:05 PM

Unless you got a lot of money to throw around for a built motor, the most I do is get some hi performance head gaskets. the lower the compression piston 8:1 with say 10psi boost will have less power than say our 10:1 compression motor with 10psi boost would have. you can change compression many ways also: thicker/thinner head gasket. Milling head down or decking block. Changing pistons or rods or stroke. Or any combination I just listed. good luck!
Old 03-09-2005, 06:37 PM

well i do have the money for it now i did before but id take me mad long to do before with the job i had i was working at best buy.....but now i work for an autobarn gettin paid 12$ an hour to drive and deliver sh*t all day....so im good....but witht the new motor i plan to build then boost.....so gemmi all ur best thoughts on wut to do first
Old 03-09-2005, 09:35 PM
living out of a maxima...

I wouldn't worry about the compression ratio for now... mardi just ran an 11.5 @121 with 16.5 lbs boost plus a 35 shot of nitrous on a stock motor... you should be fine with the stock motor. If you are serious about getting even *more* power and you've maxxed out the S-trim blower, try and find out more details around upgrading it to a T-trim. I belive blubyu2k2 just completed this project before running into some unrelated motor problems.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:12 PM

so someone succesfully upgraded to a t-trim..................how much is he makin at the wheels........i gotta talk to this guy.........
Old 03-11-2005, 02:07 PM

Yes but i think his car broke.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:24 PM

his car broken as in not runing, blown engine orrr wut?????he must be pissed....!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-12-2005, 04:14 PM

now im not sure....but i could have sworn i read somewere that i could swap the manifold from 2k maxima to my 95 maxima....is that tru....and also the 3.5 cams would fit in the 3.0 also...is that tru.....if so how would i go about doin these things......i kno i would have to modifie a couple of things.....so lemmi kno