Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Anyone interested in LSD's????

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 02:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you guys raise a good point!...I can't remember the last time I punched it out of a corner in an autoX event or in the canyons and didn't have sufficient traction even at WOT (except for in 1st gear which you never are unless it's a hairpin)...I am sure when I am boosted it will be a different story (meaning 2nd gear I will have to feather it coming out of a turn--something that you are supposed to do anyway--roll on to the throttle) I honestly can't remember the last time I actually took a turn and needed to grab first, as it's very hard to get into first if you are already moving as we all know and our cars even NA have sufficient low end where 2nd gear should pull cleanly out of a corner...

I have riden in my buddies 3rd gen which obviously has the VLSD from the factory and I never feel it kick in the AutoX events, cause 2nd gear on an NA maxima with a good suspension and very good tires wouldn't be near the use of an LSD....the only thing I see it useful for in our cars NA is in first gear and honestly, at track and autoX events is almost never...

nonetheless, I would still like to see another company come out with an LSD for our cars in the future, simply so other options are there...something right under $1000 or 8-900 in a GD would be awesome! as long as it was capable of 50/50 (not the 35% shift like the OEM VLSD found in select maxima trannies)...
Old 03-12-2005, 06:15 AM
SLOW

I must admit I haven't had a high powered car long enough to know it's behavior on the strip, so things might be different and my opinion may change this year when I start taking this car to the track, but I've found LSD to be fairly useless at the drag strip. I have never had a problem spinning only one tire at the strip, street tires or slicks. I have driven VLSD, Quaife, and open diff cars.

In the twisties or on a road course the situation is different though. The quaife I drove out of tight corners was too cool, and a little strange even, because it's counterintuitive, to reduce understeer you just get on the gas which is not what I'm used to. With my old car on road courses it becomes very apparent how an LSD would be beneficial. Coming out of certain sweepers at 50ish mph with lots of side loading WILL get the inside tire spinning, and thus you have to wait to get all the way on the throttle.

At this time personally the only way I would ever shell out for a quaife would be if I were building a Max for track racing.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:47 AM
Blu
the tits

All I will say is if your wanting a quaife to show straight line gains its not really going to happen unless its a high hp car on street tires. I agree with you a 160-170whp car shouldn't have traction issues but add 200-300 more whp to that and take the car out on a track and see how many full seconds a quaife equipped car is faster around the track. It cures the need to feather as much around sharp corners where an open diff would peg leg. I've owned both so I know how big of a difference it makes taking corners on the gas. Instead of one tire spinning yanking you to one side of the road, with a quaife it pulls the car down and keeps it stable even on the gas if that makes any sense. For those wanting a quaife thinking it will make them faster at the drag strip are just wasting there money IMO.

Originally Posted by michaelnyden
you guys raise a good point!...I can't remember the last time I punched it out of a corner in an autoX event or in the canyons and didn't have sufficient traction even at WOT (except for in 1st gear which you never are unless it's a hairpin)...I am sure when I am boosted it will be a different story (meaning 2nd gear I will have to feather it coming out of a turn--something that you are supposed to do anyway--roll on to the throttle) I honestly can't remember the last time I actually took a turn and needed to grab first, as it's very hard to get into first if you are already moving as we all know and our cars even NA have sufficient low end where 2nd gear should pull cleanly out of a corner...

I have riden in my buddies 3rd gen which obviously has the VLSD from the factory and I never feel it kick in the AutoX events, cause 2nd gear on an NA maxima with a good suspension and very good tires wouldn't be near the use of an LSD....the only thing I see it useful for in our cars NA is in first gear and honestly, at track and autoX events is almost never...

nonetheless, I would still like to see another company come out with an LSD for our cars in the future, simply so other options are there...something right under $1000 or 8-900 in a GD would be awesome! as long as it was capable of 50/50 (not the 35% shift like the OEM VLSD found in select maxima trannies)...
Old 03-12-2005, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by jdmmax
i would like to see a LSD available that is not comprised of a few brackets that bolt into the diff. kazz may have been intersted if there is enough interest mainly 10 people. but then again 95% of the comunnity will not fork up for a good product.

SOOOOO we will see.

if you give me notice so i can save i will be very interested.

What you pay for is what you get. Look at all these people whining about a cost of a all metal gear driven LSD? its incredible how everyone whines and complains about pricing. Thats the reason why we no longer have the quaife available to us anymore. Because we have whiners that dont want to pay for a good quality product. Most of the american boosted cars come standard with quaifes from the factory. That should say alot about a quaife.

I have installed two LSDs that Shadow has produced. They have held up pretty well. Both turbo maximas dynoed way over 390HP and torque and shadows LSDs are still up and running.

Whats the price on one of those LSDs that shadow produces? anyone know?

Mishap? whats the price of these things going for?

People refuse to pay $1400 for a quaife, I wonder if they even have a clue how much will it cost to have a mechanic put one in?
Old 03-12-2005, 08:42 PM

hmm....I would do it myself...but there are several maxima mechanics nearby that give us maxima guys a break and would do it for $200-400 all said and done...
Old 03-14-2005, 09:33 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Even at stock HP, I find myself peg legging it pretty often taking off from a dead stop to make a 90-degree turn and every time I launch.

I don't care if it makes me any faster in a straight line really, I just really *HATE* lighting up one tire and I'm not even at WOT most of the time.

I couldn't imagine having the VQ35s torque or being boosted withOUT a LSD and my driving style.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:44 PM

why are you ever flooring it around a corner in 1st gear? on top of that most track racers would never be caught dead at WOT midcorner (unless they are into drifting, or in our case, understeering into the wall)...but nonetheless your right, an LSD would be very beneficial on our cars if tracking them...even at non WOT situations I can get the inside tire going a little...I just wish my car was born in canada!!! then I wouldn't have to deal with this...
Old 03-14-2005, 03:18 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Never said I was...however turning a 90 and pulling from a light onto a 50mph road, I get the inside tire to light up all the time especially when there is dirt built up along the curve.

Originally Posted by michaelnyden
why are you ever flooring it around a corner in 1st gear? on top of that most track racers would never be caught dead at WOT midcorner (unless they are into drifting, or in our case, understeering into the wall)...but nonetheless your right, an LSD would be very beneficial on our cars if tracking them...even at non WOT situations I can get the inside tire going a little...I just wish my car was born in canada!!! then I wouldn't have to deal with this...
Old 03-14-2005, 07:44 PM
BUY MY CARS PLEASE!!!

Originally Posted by blubyu2k2
you have a modified supra posi trac dont you? NRH?
yep...it was sweet until 3rd gear disintergrated.