Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Autotune for eManage WB02 users..SOUNDS AWESOME

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 10:31 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Autotune for eManage WB02 users..SOUNDS AWESOME

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...e/message/9867
http://forums.miataturbo.net/showthr...2&page=1&pp=10
http://forums.miataturbo.net/showthread.php?t=1245

Originally Posted by olderguy
I was asked by a member to explain what the Autotune is and does and since I've probably confused others, here is my explanation:

Basically the Autotune is a combination O2 clamp which feeds a lean signal to the stock ECU as you enter boost so that the ECU does not see the fuel added by the Emanage or AFPR and reduce the duty cycle of the injectors to try to bring the mix back down to stoich.

At the same time as you hit boost, either the narrowband O2 signal or a wideband O2 signal is fed to the Emanage TPS input where it is compared to a rich setting that we want to maintain whenever we are boosting and constantly adjusts to maintain that AFR.

Any time you are NOT in boost, a signal from the Autotune is fed to the Emanage so that it does not try to adjust the fueling and your ECU is allowed to operate as stock.

I generate a control map to hold an AFR of 12.5 at all times under boost that I send you to put into your Emanage. With information you give me as to what your fueling system is I give you an additional injector map with instructions on how to tweak it to your set up and an ignition map based on your existing timing.

You wire your Emanage, add the Autotune, put in the maps I send you and then tweak it very simply by changing one line in one graph to meet your needs. I devised this system because I couldn't see how I could ever tune the Emanage point by point, and heard stories of people tuning for months to get it right.

Your basic OEM ECU controls to an AFR of 14.7 when you are not in boost, and we set up your Emanage to control to an AFR of 12.5 when you are in boost.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:33 AM

Cost........

Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back.

Combination O2 Clamp and Emanage control to a selected AFR throughout your boost range in closed loop or open loop.

Usable with wideband OR narrowband(OEM or 4 Wire) You must specify which, but unit and base map is convertible.

Your system must be capable of fueling at the boost levels you desire to run.

Requires minimal wiring skills. If you wired your Emanage, this is a snap.

Information is required from you to generate your base map. Final tweaking to your application requires minimal Emanage knowledge on your part and no step by step, block by block, tuning.

If for ANY reason you are dissatisfied, return the undamaged unit for a full refund. (shipping charges not refunded)

Autotune, Instructions, and Base Map.........$140.00
Pressure Switch for Activation ...................$ 20.00

Oxygen Clamp Only(requires switch)............$ 40.00

Paypal or Personal Checks Accepted.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:37 AM

More.......

The only connection that the Autotune requires to the Emanage is the TPS input.
Beyond that, you do the Emanage install by the book. You don't need to change
anything to add the Autotune.

The Autotune works by first blocking your narrowband O2 and sending a lean
signal (that is adjustable) to your ECU(O2 Clamp) to keep it from pulling fuel
in a closed loop operation.

Then a target AFR of 12.5, pre-programmed into your Air Flow Adjustment Setting,
map is fed by your WBO2(preferable) or narrowband O2 which it adjusts to reach
that AFR. When not in boost, the Autotune sends the target voltage to the
Emanage to keep it from trying to adjust.

You must have; 1. Sufficient fuel supply to reach the boost levels you want to
attain.

2. Control over the fuel supply that will not be in
excess of the Air Flow Adjustment map's ability to modulate.

(If you are running a high pressure pump with injectors and/or pressure that
takes your fuel over the limits of the Air Flow Adjustments map' ability to
remove fuel, the Autotune cannot remove the excess.)

The Autotune is 2 3/4 x 2 1/2 x 1" thick and will tuck alongside your ECU,
where it is best located. You need a pressure switch to operate the unit which
only requires a normally open set of contacts that close under boost. The
switch I provide for $20 can be spliced into a vacuum/pressure line under the
hood and requires only one wire back to the unit. The contacts ground upon
boost activation.

If you want to go further with either the discussion or the purchase, you should
reach me directly at brucebuchner@...

Thanks for your interest.

I will try to attach the installation document here, if it doesn't attach, write
back to may email address and I will send it.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:43 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

haha...I just checked my email and read that message. I was just about to start trying to find more info. it sounds like a very interesting product...definently gonna look more into this
Old 05-10-2005, 10:46 AM

I think 12.5:1 is a bit lean for turbo cars, but he can accomodate from the sound of it.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

So this is for when you are boosting but still in closed loop mode, i.e. partial throttle?

I could use something like this.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:26 PM

Yes, I believe this takes care of the notoriously dangerous condition when the ECU tries to correct to stoich during inital onset of boost at partial throttle. I believe this is a MAIN culprit behind blown VQ35s on the 350Z board, since they have quick spooling twin-turbos and at/around peak torque a quick lean condition might be what causes damage.

I'm still trying to digest all this, however it also corrects to the desired AFR(12.5:1 default) WHENEVER you are boosting and constantly adjusts to maintain that AFR, so even during open-loop as I understand. Per Bruce, when not in boost(Hobbs/boost switch is open?), the stock ECU takes over and controls fuel as desired.

I'm talking to him via email and from what I've read, I think this is a MUST have, if you have a WB02. You need an eManage Steve!!!
Old 05-10-2005, 01:49 PM

More info threads:

http://forums.miataturbo.net/showthread.php?t=818
http://forums.miataturbo.net/showthread.php?t=1032
http://forums.miataturbo.net/showthread.php?t=872
http://forums.miataturbo.net/showthread.php?t=1245
http://forums.miataturbo.net/showthread.php?t=1242
Old 05-10-2005, 01:56 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

now I know this originated with the Miatas and he says he will provide a "basemap based on your setup", but how can he determine that for other vehicles? or is the basemap hting simply for the Miatas? sounds like a very nice product, theres a lot of info I'm trying to get into place though
Old 05-10-2005, 02:06 PM

I think ALL boosted guys could use the "02 clamp" to keep the ECU from pulling fuel in boost during partial throttle, closed-loop operation.

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
So this is for when you are boosting but still in closed loop mode, i.e. partial throttle?

I could use something like this.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:23 PM
Still Here... IM me for more..

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
I think ALL boosted guys could use the "02 clamp" to keep the ECU from pulling fuel in boost during partial throttle, closed-loop operation.
Hey Alex,

From what I've read, the Autotune is only going to be of benefit during the transition from Closed-Loop to Open-Loop, right?

Does the ECU go into Open-Loop as soon as you hit boost or does it go into Open-Loop based on throttle position/voltage?
Old 05-10-2005, 05:59 PM

No...it works ANYTIME you're in boost by overriding/conditioning MAF voltage but to the target 12.5:1 AFR.

The 02 clamp, which is included with the Autotune, but available by itself, is what tricks the ECU into thinking the 02 is measuring lean while you're in closed-loop partial throttle. That helps the low say 20-30% TPS range before you enter open-loop around >40% TPS, so the ECU doesn't try to correct to 14.7:1 at low boost.

Basically, the 02 clamp allows the eManage, FMU, aux fuel pump, or whatever to change/drop your AFR to <14.7:1, since the ECU is convinced you're at 17:1(guess) AFR and trys to dump extra fuel. Normally, as your AFR drops(goes rich) in closed-loop, the ECU decreases fuel to get to stoich, so now with the 02 clamp it thinks you're lean and adds more fuel or at least keeps the amount.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:21 PM

So the change from closed to open loop occurs at greater than 40% throttle right?

If the O2 clamp is telling the ECU that the car is running lean, then the ECU tries to correct this by adding more fuel.

Wouldn't this make tuning harder to do since the ECU would be trying to add more fuel into the mix the whole time the car is in closed loop?

Wouldn't the ECU try to dump more and more fuel to bring the lean condition, it thinks exists, into stoich?

How could you tune for this?

I guess I'm not understanding this too well...

No...it works ANYTIME you're in boost by overriding/conditioning MAF voltage but to the target 12.5:1 AFR.

The 02 clamp, which is included with the Autotune, but available by itself, is what tricks the ECU into thinking the 02 is measuring lean while you're in closed-loop partial throttle. That helps the low say 20-30% TPS range before you enter open-loop around >40% TPS, so the ECU doesn't try to correct to 14.7:1 at low boost.

Basically, the 02 clamp allows the eManage, FMU, aux fuel pump, or whatever to change/drop your AFR to <14.7:1, since the ECU is convinced you're at 17:1(guess) AFR and trys to dump extra fuel. Normally, as your AFR drops(goes rich) in closed-loop, the ECU decreases fuel to get to stoich, so now with the 02 clamp it thinks you're lean and adds more fuel or at least keeps the amount.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:31 PM

Tuning ECU occurs under WOT, however this works before you go WOT.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:39 PM

sorry, newb question, please explain to me what this really does and means for boosted max's...?
Old 05-10-2005, 08:09 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

so would this limit my extreme richness at partial throttle too?
Old 05-10-2005, 09:04 PM

i wonder if you could just use a pressure switch to send WOT voltage to TPS so whenever you hit boost the ecu "thinks" your WOT and goes into open loop
Old 05-10-2005, 09:16 PM

What about a nx style window switch?
Old 05-11-2005, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by HNDA ETR
So the change from closed to open loop occurs at greater than 40% throttle right?
Approximately depending on load and rate of TPS change and probably other stuff. That's just approximately what I've seen with moderate to fast throttle changes.

If the O2 clamp is telling the ECU that the car is running lean, then the ECU tries to correct this by adding more fuel.
Yes, but more importantly the ECU isn't pulling pulse-width to reduce fuel when your AFR goes from 14:1...13:1...12:1, etc.

Wouldn't this make tuning harder to do since the ECU would be trying to add more fuel into the mix the whole time the car is in closed loop?
Not with the WB02 feedback...it will actually be EASIER then tuning every cell/block in your eManage maps. Once you get the tweaking needed for your particular application, his "autotune" box and eManage maps take the WB02 input and automatically adjust to keep AFR under boost at ~12.5:1. He posted a few logs and it appears to work pretty damn well. You can even do it withOUT a WB02...just using the stock O2, but supposedly it is less precise and a bit more difficult.

Wouldn't the ECU try to dump more and more fuel to bring the lean condition, it thinks exists, into stoich?
Yes...

How could you tune for this?
It tunes itself by correcting for more/less fuel depending on what side of the 12.5:1 AFR the WB02 feedback/input is measuring.

I guess I'm not understanding this too well...
Hey, I'm just learning this too, so don't take all this as 100% true yet.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:05 AM

Basically, it helps driveability during part throttle tip in during boost. It also controls/holds your AFR to 12.5:1 during boost.

Originally Posted by drunkenmunky23
sorry, newb question, please explain to me what this really does and means for boosted max's...?
Old 05-11-2005, 09:09 AM

If you're rich at part throttle, you've got too much fuel from either injector pulse-width or too high of fuel pressure. This can help reduce the pulse-width part, which might not be enough.

Originally Posted by slimer
so would this limit my extreme richness at partial throttle too?
Old 05-11-2005, 09:23 AM

If you're rich at part throttle, you've got too much fuel from either injector pulse-width or too high of fuel pressure. This can help reduce the pulse-width part, which might not be enough.
well i can reduce fp with my aem afpr, that is not a problem.

this makes me wish that i originally got the emanage when i was looking at safc's.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by subs1000w
i wonder if you could just use a pressure switch to send WOT voltage to TPS so whenever you hit boost the ecu "thinks" your WOT and goes into open loop
I like this idea. It sounds like it would be easy to implement.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:36 AM

Done yet Stephen?
Old 05-16-2005, 11:58 AM

Done yet Stephen?
Haven't had much time to tinker with it. I'm busy preparing for a VQ30 to VQ35 swap for a local guy.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:14 PM

"local guy"....suuuuuure.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:00 PM

wow this all sounds incredible, sounds like it could be a very good opportunity that the boosted community shouldnt miss out on. especially if you have a boosted daily driver.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:57 PM

Hey Alex,

Any more info to share? I've been emailing Bruce about it... but I'm still not 100% clear on how everything will work...
Old 05-17-2005, 10:40 PM

do we really create a lot of boost at partial throttle applications? enough to merit going to a 12:1 AFR or even richer such as that we have setup for our WOT maps...?
or is this to protect our engines during the changeover period from closed to open loop?
nonetheless, this is an interesting idea...but I don't care that much about non WOT performance...all I want is to know that when I do go to open loop, all the power possible is there...
Old 05-18-2005, 08:56 AM

Basically, it is TWO tools in one...just the first one is worth the $140 IMHO.

1)Controls your AFR to 12.5:1 anytime, ie closed-loop or open-loop. 12.5:1 is default, but it can be changed to 11.5:1 for TC and 12:1 for SC guys or whatever your needs/fuel require.

2)As you enter boost during closed-loop, it fools your ECU into thinking you're lean by outputting a lean 02 voltage, so the stock ECU won't pull fuel the eManage or FPR is trying to add to go from 14.7:1...14:1...13:1...12:1, etc.. This just helps the lean tip-in transition period many complain about.

Cars boost during closed-loop, SCs as soon as you open the throttle-plate and the BOV closes and quick spooling turbo chargers once under load.

Hey Alex,

Any more info to share? I've been emailing Bruce about it... but I'm still not 100% clear on how everything will work...
Old 05-18-2005, 09:53 AM

FYI - Since the Maximas have 2 front O2 sensors, and the AutoTune was made for cars with only 1 front O2 sensor, we will have to upgrade ($60) to the unit that's made for cars w/2 front O2's... Also, Bruce says this requires a WBO2...

Originally Posted by Bruce Buchner
The Autotune was designed for motors with a single OEM O2 sensor. A modified unit for larger engines with two OEM narrowbands(to control 2 banks of 3 cylinders each) is available at an additional $60 and can only work with a wideband. To my knowledge the post cat sensors are a monitor of only the condition of the cat.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:59 AM

Good point....

Also, I wouldn't dare approach this using the stock narrowband sensors, since they're unreliable and lack enough resolution around anything other then stoich. He/others say it works on their cars, but I wouldn't use this withOUT a WB02.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:09 AM

Good point....

Also, I wouldn't dare approach this using the stock narrowband sensors, since they're unreliable and lack enough resolution around anything other then stoich. He/others say it works on their cars, but I wouldn't use this withOUT a WB02.
I was going to ask Bruce whether or not it was possible to split the O2 signals some how... That way, the ECU gets the exact same signal for both O2 sensors... This would alleviate the need for the extra $60 (hopefully).

Alex,

do you know if it's possible to split the signal from 1 OEM O2 sensor into 2 for the ECU? I mean, physically it's possible - just wire the 2 harnesses together and then tie them into 1 O2 sensor... but you think the ECU would know that there isn't 2 separate O2's attached? Is there any unique identifying characteristics that the ECU would be expecting?
Old 05-21-2005, 09:34 PM

Here are my thoughts after reading this breifly:

Good: This sounds like a great product if you want to use the emanage as an easy way to keep a constant AFR in boost.
Bad: It seems to take away a lot of the emanage's other capabilities if your other maps rely on throttle position as well.

The O2 clamp is a good idea all around. Plain and simple: keep the ECU from pulling fuel when we want to add it.

One last thing. The price is WAY to high. You can go to Radio Shack and get all these parts for close to nothing. The schematics are shown in the posts and should be easy to build.

I'll spend some time at work (this coming up week) on a couple different designs and see if I can some up with something cheaper or easier for people to do themselves. I just think the price is too high.

If anyone is still unclear about how this works let me know and I'll try to clear it up for everyone.

I agree.

I would only use the O2 clamp though. I don't like that the TPS would be taken over for just AFR use. I would rather keep the functionallity of the TPS so all the other maps can accurately use it.

do you know if it's possible to split the signal from 1 OEM O2 sensor into 2 for the ECU? I mean, physically it's possible - just wire the 2 harnesses together and then tie them into 1 O2 sensor... but you think the ECU would know that there isn't 2 separate O2's attached? Is there any unique identifying characteristics that the ECU would be expecting?
Since the ECU is looking for voltage only on these O2 signals, it IS possible to have one wire go to both ECU pins. No additional components are needed.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:27 PM

The one thing that noone has explained yet, is how the O2 clamp is going to make the AFR always be 12.5 (or whatever it's set at).

I can understand that it sends a lean O2 signal to the ECU, which in turn dumps more fuel in an effort to correct the lean condition... HOWEVER, noone has said how the Autotune will stop the ECU from flooding out the engine.

I mean, if the Autotune is ALWAYS sending a lean signal to the ECU, the ECU will ALWAYS dump more and more fuel. Since the Autotune doesn't all of a sudden start sending a stoich signal, the ECU is going to add fuel and add fuel and add fuel....

Basically, the ECU will dump so much fuel, it'll flood or wash out the spark... right?
Old 05-23-2005, 09:12 AM

Okay...this is going to be hard to explain but I'll try.

The 02-clamp is for keeping the ECU from subracting fuel during closed-loop 02 feedback NOT for controlling the AFR to XX AFR.

Basically, your WB02 voltage is now TPS input to the eManage airflow map. So, if 12.5:1 equals 2.5V, then if the WB02 measures/reads greater then 12.5:1, ie 13:1, 14:1, then the eManage table values are increasingly more positive, ie adding fuel. If the WB02 ouputs a voltage less then 12.5:1, ie 12:1..11:1..etc, the eManage table values are increasingly more negative, ie subtracting fuel.

IMHO, the same can be done without the Autotune and just with a programmable WB02 output, however you wouldn't have the 02-clamp and you'd have to play around with the amounts of fuel to add/subtract.

As for cost, the guy does NOT want to be mass producing these so he's asking a high price.

The one thing that noone has explained yet, is how the O2 clamp is going to make the AFR always be 12.5 (or whatever it's set at).

I can understand that it sends a lean O2 signal to the ECU, which in turn dumps more fuel in an effort to correct the lean condition... HOWEVER, noone has said how the Autotune will stop the ECU from flooding out the engine.

I mean, if the Autotune is ALWAYS sending a lean signal to the ECU, the ECU will ALWAYS dump more and more fuel. Since the Autotune doesn't all of a sudden start sending a stoich signal, the ECU is going to add fuel and add fuel and add fuel....

Basically, the ECU will dump so much fuel, it'll flood or wash out the spark... right?
Old 05-30-2005, 10:40 AM

this might sound stupid but couldnt we accomplish the same thing if we made something to feed the ecm reference voltage for the tps whenever the car went under boost? i mean wouldnt the car go into open loop and allow for our changes? surely there is some way to make this work under boost only.