Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

'96 SC kit --> '99 Maxima, what do do about power steering cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 09:33 AM
Licensed to Spell

'96 SC kit --> '99 Maxima, what to do about power steering cooler?

As a few of you know, I bought a '99 Maxima with the plans of transferring my SC from my '96. Jim (The Wizard), and I started the install two nights ago. Since we can only work about 4 hours in the evening during the week, we should finish this weekend.

Well, as most of us know, Nissan did not install a factory PS cooler on the '99 Maximas like it did on the '95-'98s. Thus, (one of) the reason(s) that Stillen provides a PS cooler with their '99 SC kit. I obviosly do not have the PS cooler from Stillen, hence my question:

What should I do for a power steering cooler?

Options I thought of include: take the stock Nissan cooler from my '96 (would prefer to leave it though), buy a stock cooler from Nissan (ouch), pay Stillen for their cooler ($65 for a simple U-turn aluminum tube), do without a cooler (why do we need a PS cooler anyway just because an SC is installed?), buy brass tubing from Home Depot (easy and cheap but ugly), buy a third party cooler (ideas?), or .......? Thanks so much guys.

P.s. There has been some debate about wether a '95/'98 kit will fit on a '99 Maxima (possible timing chain cover differences, etc.). I promise to start a thread shortly addressing this issue so that we will all know once and for all - but please keep this thread on the topic of the PS cooler.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:38 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

I can't imagine that the factory part being too expensive... try a junkyard... it should be really cheap.

You could also get a Permacool framerail mount cooler...
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...11&prmenbr=361
Old 05-11-2005, 11:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ptatohed
P.s. There has been some debate about wether a '95/'98 kit will fit on a '99 Maxima (possible timing chain cover differences, etc.). I promise to start a thread shortly addressing this issue so that we will all know once and for all - but please keep this thread on the topic of the PS cooler.
There is no difference between 95-98 and 99-2001 timing chain covers.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:09 AM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
There is no difference between 95-98 and 99-2001 timing chain covers.
Well, like I said, I didn't want to get off topic but there is a difference Stephen. I can look at my '96 and my '99 and see a visual difference. I'm not saying the '96 SC plate won't fit on my '99 timing cover (in fact I think it will as I test fitted it on Jame's '99) and I am not saying there are any major differences, but there are differences, even if minor. I'll go into all the details (including pics) when I start a thread about this topic.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:19 AM

Well, like I said, I didn't want to get off topic but there is a difference Stephen. I can look at my '96 and my '99 and see a visual difference. I'm not saying the '96 SC plate won't fit on my '99 timing cover (in fact I think it will as I test fitted it on Jame's '99) and I am not saying there are any major differences, but there are differences, even if minor. I'll go into all the details (including pics) when I start a thread about this topic.
Okay, I guess I spoke too soon. I thought I had checked my wife's 2000 against my 95 and didn't see anything different. Maybe I dreamed it.

Anywho, I believe Jay25 mounted a 5th gen SC bracket onto one of his 4th gens, or maybe a 4th gen bracket onto a 99, with no problems. I'll do some searching and find out for sure.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:21 AM

Found it:

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...3&postcount=11
Old 05-11-2005, 11:31 AM
Licensed to Spell

Okay, I guess I spoke too soon. I thought I had checked my wife's 2000 against my 95 and didn't see anything different. Maybe I dreamed it.

Anywho, I believe Jay25 mounted a 5th gen SC bracket onto one of his 4th gens, or maybe a 4th gen bracket onto a 99, with no problems. I'll do some searching and find out for sure.

Oh darn you Stephen, now your making me go off topic with you, something I was trying to avoid. :P Yes, Jay put a 5th on a 4th. And if my theory is correct (I wasn't going to mention it until I could prove it but you made me - lol) then a 5th gen (or '99) SC plate will go fine on a '95-'98 but vise versa is a tad harder. I beleive (this is not a fact!) that the timing chain cover is ever so slightly rounder and sticks out more. I derived this when I placed my SC plate up to Jim's '99 cover and it very slightly 'rocked'. Also (and this is a fact), we measured the mounting legs on the '99 SC plate and they are just a tad longer than my '96 plate's legs. The longer legs would make for the needed timing cover 'bulge' clearance. So I may need spacers or who knows, maybe the difference is small enough where I can just snug up all bolts equally and 'suck' the SC plate up to the engine. Anyway, like I said I will start a thread when I have true facts.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:35 AM

Good points.

Okay, to get back on topic, if the 99 did not come with a PS fluid cooler, why do you think you need one if you install a SC kit? Or maybe I should ask, why did Stillen think it was needed?
Old 05-11-2005, 11:49 AM
Licensed to Spell

Good points.

Okay, to get back on topic, if the 99 did not come with a PS fluid cooler, why do you think you need one if you install a SC kit? Or maybe I should ask, why did Stillen think it was needed?

Good question, that's what I was wondering. As you know, '95-'98 came with a pretty extensive, long, PS cooler which stretched the length of the radiator. In '99, there is just a little, tight radius rubber U where the 95/98 aluminum cooler would/should be. So why then did Stillen find it necessary to provide a cooler? My guess is because we need to replace all aluminum lines with rubber. Those aluminum lines probably acted as a cooler.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:09 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Early 2000s had a cooler, more like an odd shaped aluminum tube, but late 2000s, 2001s, and 5.5gens don't. Each has a slightly different upper hard line that comes from the reservior. 2001s poke through the radiator support, but then have a rubber U-turn piece where the early 2000s had the cooler. 5.5gens don't even go infront of the radiator support.

I have noticed my PS fluid boil on a hot day, so I bought the early 2000 cooler, it wasn't cheap $75-$80, I think. However, it won't fit because of a slight difference in the hard lines that go to the reservior. Nothing a dremel and some rubber hose wouldn't fix, but then you lose the bead rolled ends.

Anyways, not much help, but you can just use a bypass where the cooler was, ie rubber hose shaped in a U-turn, and apparently Nissan didn't think it was all that necessary. Or you can just stick any tube/fin aftermarket cooler in the airflow path with rubber lines. Nismo makes a nice tube/fine for the 350Z, it's ~$100, however I'd gladly pay that vs. $75 for the OEM early 2000 piece.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:31 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

Good question, that's what I was wondering. As you know, '95-'98 came with a pretty extensive, long, PS cooler which stretched the length of the radiator. In '99, there is just a little, tight radius rubber U where the 95/98 aluminum cooler would/should be. So why then did Stillen find it necessary to provide a cooler? My guess is because we need to replace all aluminum lines with rubber. Those aluminum lines probably acted as a cooler.
i had the same thing on my 98, so what i did was take 5/16th brake line and made my own. I made 60* bends and made a coil that circled 3x around and then wedged it in the little space in the bumper next to where the license plate fits. it gets plenty of air there.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:24 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

I'm getting a Perma-cool 1001.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:34 PM
Licensed to Spell

Thanks Ice - that sure is a lot of info. about stock coolers!

Slimer, are you saying that '98s don't come with a stock PS cooler???? That's news to me. I actually thought of using brake line too! I just figured the walls are too thick to dissipate heat efficiently, no?

1MAX, can you link me to a site? Pics? Price? Are you saying that you have been running without a cooler (or do you just mean you will be upgrading the so-so Stillen U-Turn?)?
Old 05-11-2005, 03:02 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

Slimer, are you saying that '98s don't come with a stock PS cooler???? That's news to me. I actually thought of using brake line too! I just figured the walls are too thick to dissipate heat efficiently, no?
yes. it just has those aluminum lines like the 99's have. I also got my kit used and it didn't have a ps cooler. I would like to get one of those permacools that have the two lines, one for an oil cooler, one for ps, but it was a little out of my fiscal range at the time that i came up with the solution. They have units that come with fans too!
Old 05-11-2005, 07:14 PM

the 5th gen kit that I bought just came with a U bend alloy tube, I don t know if youd call that a cooler? thats the same crap the 4th gens use. but I installed a Power steering cooler on my 98 maxima just for the heck of it.

The timing case cover on a 5th gen is shaped a bit different then the 4th gen. How ever a 5th gen plate bolted right up to my 95 maxima. I have another 5th gen kit kit with a 2.87 pulley to install but been too busy working on other peoples projects which leaves me with zero time for my.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:06 AM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by JAY25
the 5th gen kit that I bought just came with a U bend alloy tube, I don t know if youd call that a cooler? thats the same crap the 4th gens use. but I installed a Power steering cooler on my 98 maxima just for the heck of it.

The timing case cover on a 5th gen is shaped a bit different then the 4th gen. How ever a 5th gen plate bolted right up to my 95 maxima. I have another 5th gen kit kit with a 2.87 pulley to install but been too busy working on other peoples projects which leaves me with zero time for my.

Thanks Jaime. Yes, the aluminum "U" tube is what Stillen provides as a cooler. I agree, it is a little weak. I do however disagree that the 4th gen cooler is junk. I think the stock 4th gen cooler is very adequate (or am I understanding you wrong? Are you referring to the Stillen cooler for '99?).

O.k., now I am really confused, I didn't know 1998's did not come with a factory PS cooler. So why then does Stillen only provide a "PS cooler" with their '99 kit but not '98??? So which cooler did you buy Jaime?

As for your comment about the 5th gen SC plate fitting on your '95 timing cover, yes, that corresponds to my theory. The question is, has anyone put a 4th gen kit on a '99+ without modification? The only story I have heard is that scarry story about the kid needing to change his timing cover to make it work. Either way, we'll know by the end of the weekend!! The Wizard and I made a lot of progress last night.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:11 AM
Licensed to Spell

By the way guys, thanks so much for the input. I decided the easiest thing to do was steel my '96s stock PS cooler for my '99. Last night I traded PS lines/cooler with the '96 and '99. It was the cheapest (free!), required no ordering/waiting and I feel I now have a good cooler for the (almost) SCed '99. The poor '96 got a downgrade - but it shouldn't matter. Thanks again.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:46 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

http://www.perma-cool.com/Catalog/Cat_page15.html

Oh..i never got the stillen ps cooler kit since I got my kit used.

1MAX, can you link me to a site? Pics? Price? Are you saying that you have been running without a cooler (or do you just mean you will be upgrading the so-so Stillen U-Turn?)?
Old 05-12-2005, 09:00 AM

Anyone got a picture of the Stillen PS tube/cooler?
Old 05-12-2005, 09:18 AM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
Anyone got a picture of the Stillen PS tube/cooler?
Ice, I can take a 'real' pic. for you as Jim has one on his '99 but here is a pic from the instructions themselves. As you can see, it is pretty cheesey. However, we did a much cleaner/nicer job on The Wizard's car.

Old 05-12-2005, 09:26 AM

Okay, same thing as the early 2000 tube/cooler except the 2000 is in a wierd shape and bolts to the center support and lower support, ie a bit cleaner then just some straps like Stillen uses.

Thanks.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:12 PM
Licensed to Spell

If anyone cares, I contacted the guy I like to buy my OEM parts from (Dave - real cool guy, nice prices http://www.garrands-nissan.com/New%20Website/parts.htm) and the price for a stock PS cooler is $52 (+ shipping). It only comes as an assembly so it comes with a few extra things we don't need but ... everything we do need.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:55 PM

Just to be a pain, do you have any pictures of the stock 4th gen cooler?
Old 05-16-2005, 11:34 AM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
Just to be a pain, do you have any pictures of the stock 4th gen cooler?

Sorry Ice, sometimes I don't get e-mails of new posts in threads I am subscribed to. ??

Anyway, sorry but this is the best I could do from my computer right now (taken from FSM). If you really want, I could take a pic. of the real thing tonight.

Old 05-16-2005, 11:38 AM

Thanks...looks VERY similar to the early 2000 cooler tube, but different shaped.

Good to know there are more options out there in junkyards.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:10 PM

Power Steering Cooler (DB-30800)

It's easy to overlook your power steering, but if you've ever had a failure you know how critical it is to a good finish! FLUIDYNE Racing has the solution...a lightweight high efficiency unit with an integrated mounting bracket. It's perfect for your power steering cooling needs!

Power Steering Cooler DB-30800

this is the power sterring cooler i used on my car. i believe its over kill for our application but i picked it up for $30 dollars so im not complaining.

jay when you install that blower you may think about using kevlar belt. 4x stronger and 3x more grip. thing works wonders solved my problems with belt slipping. i got more boost with the kevlar belt. just a suggestion .
Old 05-17-2005, 07:50 AM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by jdmmax

Power Steering Cooler (DB-30800)

It's easy to overlook your power steering, but if you've ever had a failure you know how critical it is to a good finish! FLUIDYNE Racing has the solution...a lightweight high efficiency unit with an integrated mounting bracket. It's perfect for your power steering cooling needs!

Power Steering Cooler DB-30800

this is the power sterring cooler i used on my car. i believe its over kill for our application but i picked it up for $30 dollars so im not complaining.

jay when you install that blower you may think about using kevlar belt. 4x stronger and 3x more grip. thing works wonders solved my problems with belt slipping. i got more boost with the kevlar belt. just a suggestion .

Thanks jdm. Where does one purchase a kevlar belt? Who makes them? Hey, I noticed you have a '99 and you live in CA. Since '99 is not carb approved like '95-'98, what have you done about smog tests? Thanks.
- Josh
Old 05-17-2005, 12:50 PM

take the sc off or find someone smog it and over look the sc my car was able to pass the sniffer with a y - pipe.

so far i found the kevlar belt for a 2.87 pulley
Old 05-17-2005, 10:45 PM

where can you buy kevlar belts?
jdmmax...where is that belt for the 2.87 pulley?
Old 05-18-2005, 02:23 AM

you can get them from me but i doubt very many people will want them after they see how much they cost. they are not cheap.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:12 AM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by jdmmax
take the sc off or find someone smog it and over look the sc my car was able to pass the sniffer with a y - pipe.

so far i found the kevlar belt for a 2.87 pulley

So which have you done, taken the SC off or find a smog shop that over looks it?

Are you saying they only make a kevlar belt for the 2.87? Where did you get your belt?

Frank, you're only about 60 miles away - let me know if you ever want to shoot the s. or go to a meet, etc.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:55 AM

i found a smog shop that over looked the sc.

yes so far only the 2.87 pulley will be able to use the belt.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:40 AM

Just checked my 98 maxima, and no ps cooler.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:04 AM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by SonicDust187
Just checked my 98 maxima, and no ps cooler.

Thanks for looking Sonic. That is weird. Now I really don't understand why Stillen provides a cooler in the '99 kit and not the '98.

Just so you guys know, my '96 kit transferred 100% perfectly fine over to my '99. Perfect fit, no problems. There are some timing chain differences but nothing to affect the SC mounting plate. But what is odd, is my '96 kit on my '99 sits a lot lower than The Wizards '99 kit on his '99. Where I use 1/2" spacers on my intake tube, he needed 1-1/2" spacers. His elbow touches his passenger headlight harness, mine is well below and his Bosch BOV hits his hood liner, mine clears. We need to put both cars together and examine the differences....