Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Boost on a daily driver??

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 02:33 PM
The original VQ...

Boost on a daily driver??

Iv'e ben looking into boost and im just wondering if it would be ok to have on a daily driver.

The max is my only car, my winter car, and my race car.

I am looking to get a S/C most likey, just wondering what is the upkeep on it and and how happy people are with it in the long run. As far as problems and stuff.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:54 PM

I have one and love it, no problems other than some belt alignment which is normal at first, just make sure you put in all the bolts except i left out one of the allen head bolts, the upper most one(you'll know what I am talking about if you get one). Also I suggest buying a used one off here that is in good condition ie working. For daily driving I'd recommend the S/C. Although I don't drive my Max in the winter I don't like rust and I like it clean! Get a beater!!!!!

On a separate note use your own judgment and accept all the advice you hear and weigh it accordingly. Also you really want to know what your getting into. Boost can be addictive, and if not done right and with the right knowledge you'll blow your motor. Be patient and study the threads on here and ask questions and learn who knows something and who doesn't and above all make your own decision on that knowledge. Good Luck and if you have question please pm me!

Dan
Old 05-16-2005, 10:27 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Its fine as a daily driver. I've had mine on since Oct. 2000.
Having this on certainly makes the owner become a hands-on mechanic.
I enjoy having a unique Maxima and especially the power when it comes on.

Drawbacks:
I'm starting to dread the winter months because of belt squeal. After a few minutes of squeal from a cold start I find myself tweaking the belt tightness to remedy the problem. I was using belt dressing but thats messy and its only temporary. Unfortunately my first time adjusting the tension caused me to have the beginnings of bearing wear and the V2's lovely whine had deteriorated into the dreaded marbles-in-a-can noise. A 4 week turnaround with Vortech and $300+ fixed the problem. Come next winter I plan to put in the regular belt to bypass the blower.

At the end of last summer I switched my 3.33" pulley for the 3.125". The pulley got stuck and I didn't have a pulley puller on hand so I tried to lift it with wooden wedges. Unfortunately that also did something to the bearings and now the stupid bearing noise has returned. It seems to be very delicate. The car is driveable but it looks like another bearing replacement in the very near future.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think a S/Ced Maxima can easily be a daily driver. Mine more or less is. With that said, I do own a beater that I drive in the winter on days it snows. I still drive the Maxima in the winter, just not when dumb people are trying to drive in snow around me. With that said, there are some occasional problems you will run into. Not a big deal for me, since I just hop in the winter car when things go wrong. I have bypassed the S/C in the past, and pretty easy to do also. In general I would say the set-up is pretty reliable once things are set-up properly, but do expect some occasional issues you may have to deal with when you may not want to.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by MAXimumHP
I think a S/Ced Maxima can easily be a daily driver. Mine more or less is. With that said, I do own a beater that I drive in the winter on days it snows. I still drive the Maxima in the winter, just not when dumb people are trying to drive in snow around me. With that said, there are some occasional problems you will run into. Not a big deal for me, since I just hop in the winter car when things go wrong. I have bypassed the S/C in the past, and pretty easy to do also. In general I would say the set-up is pretty reliable once things are set-up properly, but do expect some occasional issues you may have to deal with when you may not want to.
Perfect explination

-matt
Old 05-17-2005, 11:20 AM

What i think about boost on a daily driver is this. It all depends on how you drive the car, if you are speed racer X and go in to boost at every light, sure your car is going to suffer more compared to a person that drives his car like he loves it. That means just drive it like it is N/A and occasionally boost it when needed, if you do that you should be ok in any boosted car (Supercharged or Turbo Charged). With that said you do have to pay to play and things will come up but how fast will they come up will be decided by how you drive the car.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Royal_T
What i think about boost on a daily driver is this. It all depends on how you drive the car, if you are speed racer X and go in to boost at every light, sure your car is going to suffer more compared to a person that drives his car like he loves it. That means just drive it like it is N/A and occasionally boost it when needed, if you do that you should be ok in any boosted car (Supercharged or Turbo Charged). With that said you do have to pay to play and things will come up but how fast will they come up will be decided by how you drive the car.
Are you turbo'd yet, Edafe?
Old 05-17-2005, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
Are you turbo'd yet, Edafe?
Steven,

It is still in Houston at SGP Racing it should be done this weekend or during next week sometime. but I'm not trying to set any dates cause any thing could happen. (knock on wood)
Old 05-17-2005, 03:07 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

with a boosted daily driver you just have to keep an eye on things. I give all my pipes, hoses, oil lines, and such a good going over every week or so. Finding problems before they leave on the side of the road is key. So yes, you must be a hands on owner. It is just little things like changing the oil more often and always using synthetic, checking and changing the plugs more often, stuff like that. I also don't drive around like a fool in boost every chance I get.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:45 PM

Having boost is very addictive, but once you get boost you know your cars fast so there really is no "proveing" anything. I dont beat on it as much now as I did when I was N/A...maybe cause now all i have to do it tap it, and Im up over the speed limit pretty quick...

Definetly the Key is being hands on with it. Know what your doing before you dive into anything. I do as well check things every week or so..and if im say vacuuming my car, ill open up the hood and just look over things... Definetly research things and try and do it yourself, cause then is something does break, you know how to take it all down, fix it, and re-do it all, hopefully in that same day. having someone do it is tricky, cause is something does break, fixing can be expensive for labor taking all back apart.

-matt
Old 05-18-2005, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by matty
Having boost is very addictive, but once you get boost you know your cars fast so there really is no "proveing" anything.
this man isnt kidding...ure gonna wanna see wut ure car does, youll get some hwy runs, some honda approaches at first...but ure gonna kick *** and start getting more laid back....get used to the acceleration and speeds.....and watch ure speedometer there buddy! lol enjoy it man! (i know it says im a newbie, but just re registered )
Old 05-18-2005, 03:39 PM

just do it!!