Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Since everyone is posting about trannies, i need opinions on which route to take

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 06:54 AM

Since everyone is posting about trannies, i need opinions on which route to take

Since i have added all this power to my car i know this summer something is going to have to be done about the transmission. I am faced with the decision of whether to do a 5 speed swap or get my auto built by nrh transmission in maryland. The auto would include: regearing, strengthening of the internal componets, chromoly axles, and a LSD. If i did the 5 speed swap i would more than likely not get the LSD version. Which route would you guys go assuming i wanted to keep my car a daily driver but want good 1/4 mile performance. The sucky thing is i already have most of the 5 speed parts in my attic.

Keep in mind this will be for a supercharger setup.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Built auto.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:28 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

built auto...summertime will be perfect because it'll take Rob a little while to get it done. Pawnstar's tranny turned out great, his car pulled nicley after it was done. if you don't mind some downtime, get NRH to build it!
Old 05-23-2005, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by DA-MAX
built auto...summertime will be perfect because it'll take Rob a little while to get it done. Pawnstar's tranny turned out great, his car pulled nicley after it was done. if you don't mind some downtime, get NRH to build it!
about how much downtime?
Old 05-23-2005, 07:36 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally Posted by chris'smax
about how much downtime?
it really depends on how busy Rob is...he runs the shop as well as being the only tranny guy. best bet is to call and see what the wait is like, but the job will be top notch, he knows his **** thats for sure.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:38 AM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

built auto with shifttronic
Old 05-23-2005, 07:43 AM
SLOW

I'd bet you are going to pay alot more to have all that stuff done to your trans than you would for a 5 spd swap though right? Actually I don't know how much a 5spd swap costs above and beyond the price of the trans and axles.

At some point a built auto becomes better for drag racing than a manual trans does. Where that point is depends on alot of things, both mechanical and the skill of the driver. If I were to guess though, I'd bet that at your power level (you're lookin for 350-400whp right?) it would probably be pretty much a tossup for drag racing, assuming that an NHR trans could really get off the line well (high stall), and that if it were a 5spd that you can drive it very well yourself. If you are not so sure of your ability to drive the heck out of a 5spd, it might be wiser to go with the auto.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
I'd bet you are going to pay alot more to have all that stuff done to your trans than you would for a 5 spd swap though right? Actually I don't know how much a 5spd swap costs above and beyond the price of the trans and axles.

At some point a built auto becomes better for drag racing than a manual trans does. Where that point is depends on alot of things, both mechanical and the skill of the driver. If I were to guess though, I'd bet that at your power level (you're lookin for 350-400whp right?) it would probably be pretty much a tossup for drag racing, assuming that an NHR trans could really get off the line well (high stall), and that if it were a 5spd that you can drive it very well yourself. If you are not so sure of your ability to drive the heck out of a 5spd, it might be wiser to go with the auto.

Ha thats exactly my delima. I can drive a 5 speed but i can't "drive" it. I deff can't race it, but can drive it around town. I am just worried about the 5 speed because my car is not exactly the car i want to learn and make mistakes on. I am just worried about trying to race the car and ending up missing a gear like mike did. I also like the fact that with the auto i can just sit back and let her do her thing(i am a lazy bum)
Old 05-23-2005, 08:01 AM

I have had the NRH tranny for a while and love it. And go with the hgih stall. There is no way that you can shift thru all the gears (at least the first 2 or 3) as fast as my auto does. I love it and I still have a hand free to something else (phone, drink...what ever)
I love a 5 speed but would not go any other way in the max with a SC.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by LatinMax
I have had the NRH tranny for a while and love it. And go with the hgih stall. There is no way that you can shift thru all the gears (at least the first 2 or 3) as fast as my auto does. I love it and I still have a hand free to something else (phone, drink...what ever)
I love a 5 speed but would not go any other way in the max with a SC.
Gabe did your cell# change. I tried calling you last week to ask you about the quote i got from Rob at NRH.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:04 AM

The question is where is our fast auto drivers? Anyone out there putting down low 13s with a auto tranny or even 12s?

I drove a SCed auto, that was straight garbage!

I also raced a turbo auto, that did not last long. Guy did a 5 speed swap. JaimeCBR has a built tranny but the car broke down and did not get a chance to race the car with the new built tranny.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by JAY25
The question is where is our fast auto drivers? Anyone out there putting down low 13s with a auto tranny or even 12s?

I drove a SCed auto, that was straight garbage!

I also raced a turbo auto, that did not last long. Guy did a 5 speed swap. JaimeCBR has a built tranny but the car broke down and did not get a chance to race the car with the new built tranny.
give me another month or so. i will test the limits of my tranny.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:27 AM
2060lbs and falling...

It cost me $2100 for just the parts on the swap. This was with the AE tranny and all the right stuff including B&M, ACT, MT-90, etc... The level at which the auto is beneficial is at NA levels as far as I'm concerned. I lost traction anywhere in first when going WOT and sometimes second. That was when it was dry. When wet you can forget going wide open in anything but fourth and fifth even NA. FWD is not the application to go 5Spd IMO. I thought it would be good but I'm supremely p!ssed at myself for dropping over $2K on parts alone only to ditch it a month after completing the swap. Sure it was a beast for a month but that was a tire burning/wheeling hopping month. My vote is definitely for built auto. Whats wrong with the stock auto gearing? Its great.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:21 AM

It all depends on how much you are willing to spend. But you could spend your money else were, were it is needed the most. If your goal is only 350hp-400hp i would just do the 5spd swap, I think a built auto tranny would be great for a 500hp-600hp car. And if your car can't be down for so long then a 5spd swap might be in your best interest. Shoot to me I like to drive my car and don't like my car to drive me.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:55 AM

I think i am going to do the 5 speed swap since i already have the parts and don't want to have my car down for a month. Plus i think driving w/ the 5 speed will be more enjoyable.

The only delima i am stuck w/ now is how much power can these things hold. I ask because i am toying with the idea of getting a Nitrous kit at the end of the summer
Old 05-23-2005, 12:04 PM

well im biased, built auto all the way. if you wanna squeak every ounce of hp out of your car without running 350+ hp then a five speed is a good route. but if you plan on hitting it hard and putting down some innovative numbers then a built auto is what you want.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:12 PM

I think i am going to do the 5 speed swap since i already have the parts and don't want to have my car down for a month. Plus i think driving w/ the 5 speed will be more enjoyable.

The only delima i am stuck w/ now is how much power can these things hold. I ask because i am toying with the idea of getting a Nitrous kit at the end of the summer

Since you already have the parts then you should do it. And you are right it is more enjoyable. I think you will be ok with the 5spd, if Mard, and Neal can put down those #s on there 5spd you should be ok.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:20 PM

in case you dont know, i sold my 5 speed s/c for a auto because of bearing problems i kept having. i dont know if it was just my car but it happened to much especially after 300 hp. now im running s/c and nitrous with the level ten tranny for 5yrs of pure abuse and it finally died last month. if you line up 2 fast cars with heavy boost and same mods the auto will win more times than not. vinny ten who has one of the fastest auto supras in production can contest to that. now if your looking to just have fun and run decent hp then 5sp is for you.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:29 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

The only delima i am stuck w/ now is how much power can these things hold.
redmax's stock 5spd held up to ~16 psi(tc'd) on street tires(no grip), went to the track a few days later and popped on some slicks and 3rd gear and pretty much parts of every other gear went bye bye. pretty sure the extra sticky tracton/driveline shock killed it. the ride home was not fun I'm pretty sure when mardi was sc'd and nitrous'd running 12s he had a stock tranny, but I cannot remember. I'd say, don't worry until or if you add the nitrous.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:58 PM
SLOW

There are guys in the 12s with autos, Jime, StevechicagoSC (like 13.06 or something super close) and furbiss112. the latter two don't post much (ferhan doesnt even have a max anymore, not sure whats goin on with steve).
Old 05-23-2005, 01:02 PM

i think mardi's tranny was shot peened and cryo treated. So if i am planning on running the mods i have right now plus a 40 shot of nitrous it would be better to go with the auto?
Old 05-23-2005, 01:06 PM

I think stevechicagosc had a built auto with boost and N20 and he had 345whp, and ran a 13.07 in the 1/4 mile. I bet if it was a 5spd it would have run faster and trapped alot higher. The extra gear makes alot of difference, you can have less area under the curve and still be faster. I don't think autos become faster until 10-11 second land. 5spd swap is alot cheaper I would bet.

I went from a 14.2 to a 13.9 from auto to 5spd (minimal mod difference) which is a little quicker time wise, but look at the difference in trap. I went from a best of 98mph (one time, avg. 96mph), to a best of 102mph, which is huge. If you ever race a car that traps 4mph more, you will get walked.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:17 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Since i have added all this power to my car i know this summer something is going to have to be done about the transmission. I am faced with the decision of whether to do a 5 speed swap or get my auto built by nrh transmission in maryland. The auto would include: regearing, strengthening of the internal componets, chromoly axles, and a LSD. If i did the 5 speed swap i would more than likely not get the LSD version. Which route would you guys go assuming i wanted to keep my car a daily driver but want good 1/4 mile performance. The sucky thing is i already have most of the 5 speed parts in my attic.

Keep in mind this will be for a supercharger setup.

What about a third option of waiting for your current tranny to go? Why fix what isn't broken? I say maximize. That's the road I am going with my '99. I regret spending $2400 on my '96 to upgrade it ('bullet-proof it, VB modification, high stall torque converter, etc.). I'm going to wait till mine dies, buy a new one when it does.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:19 PM

This built auto would be tottaly regeared. Also he said he could decrease the drivetrain loss to that of a 5 speed. Do all of the other auto kits do this(ie level ten, maximum tunning)? Just wondering so i can get a fair comparison.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by ptatohed
What about a third option of waiting for your current tranny to go? Why fix what isn't broken? I say maximize. That's the road I am going with my '99. I regret spending $2400 on my '96 to upgrade it ('bullet-proof it, VB modification, high stall torque converter, etc.). I'm going to wait till mine dies, buy a new one when it does.

Josh, are you saying you didn't like the bullet proof tranny? I am going to wait as long as possible but i just don't want to be stuck with no money and a broke a$$ tranny
Old 05-23-2005, 01:36 PM

This built auto would be tottaly regeared. Also he said he could decrease the drivetrain loss to that of a 5 speed. Do all of the other auto kits do this(ie level ten, maximum tunning)? Just wondering so i can get a fair comparison.
i think i remember them telling me this when i first had mine done in 99. vinny ten handled all of that i just payed and picked up my car. all i know it was night and day driving. the gears were crisp and quick. ask any boosted 5 speeders i have run on this org and they will tell you they have lost(mecca,max97stick) and before that tranny shifts were very laggish and i would get roasted. i had my tranny over 5+yrs and ran mid to high 12's and raced every summer till last month without a glitch. i may have damaged it when i over revved my motor and blew it or it would still be working today. so i think what it comes down to is how much do you want to spend and which do you prefer, because thier the best of both worlds.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by C MAX
i think i remember them telling me this when i first had mine done in 99. vinny ten handled all of that i just payed and picked up my car. all i know it was night and day driving. the gears were crisp and quick. ask any boosted 5 speeders i have run on this org and they will tell you they have lost(mecca,max97stick) and before that tranny shifts were very laggish and i would get roasted. i had my tranny over 5+yrs and ran mid to high 12's and raced every summer till last month without a glitch. i may have damaged it when i over revved my motor and blew it or it would still be working today. so i think what it comes down to is how much do you want to spend and which do you prefer, because thier the best of both worlds.
I am not one to go cheap on major things like this. I have put thousands into this car so why get cheap now . I just want something that performs great, but also can be driven to school and work everyday. I work downtown so i have to sitt in bumper to bumper traffic everyday so which ever tranny will allow for a more enjoyable ride would be better to me.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
There are guys in the 12s with autos, Jime, StevechicagoSC (like 13.06 or something super close) and furbiss112. the latter two don't post much (ferhan doesnt even have a max anymore, not sure whats goin on with steve).
well, i have 2.87 pulley, 410cc injectors, z32 maf, and wbo2 sitting, waiting to get put in. if you, mike, or brian have any extra time to lend a hand, give me a call.

i have had my built auto for three years now and i love it. couple that with the recent addition of the manumatic, which lets me shift whenever I want, the car should be getting into at least the upper 13's.

also, remember i have ferhan's kit, but upgraded it a little.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by slimer
well, i have 2.87 pulley, 410cc injectors, z32 maf, and wbo2 sitting, waiting to get put in. if you, mike, or brian have any extra time to lend a hand, give me a call.

i have had my built auto for three years now and i love it. couple that with the recent addition of the manumatic, which lets me shift whenever I want, the car should be getting into at least the upper 13's.

also, remember i have ferhan's kit, but upgraded it a little.

Slimer, where did you get the manumatic? Also who built your tranny?
Old 05-23-2005, 01:57 PM
Licensed to Spell

Josh, are you saying you didn't like the bullet proof tranny? I am going to wait as long as possible but i just don't want to be stuck with no money and a broke a$$ tranny

Well, I didn't realize there can be such a performance gain with an auto rebuild. I certainly didn't see a night and day difference like C-Max is stating when I did mine. I did not go with a company like Level 10 - I went with a local transmission shop who sounded confident. I probably wasted my money. If you are doing it just for preventive mintenance, I say wait and maximize your current transmission. But if you are going to get the gains you mentioned, then sure, do it at any time.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:44 PM

i happened to stumble on the manumatic. i guess there were only seven made. i heard level 10 had a prototype for the tranny computer that was done on ferhan's a couple of years ago, but everyone that i talk to that has had work done has had problems with their work.

my auto was built by Jeff's transmission guy at Max Tuning in Glen Cove (Long Island), New York.

I was up there coaching Big East Conference, so I just dropped my car off at the beginning of the week and then had a fun drive home.

Chris: I can take the cover off the manumatic and take pics if you want. I was talking with someone that is in my Rotary Club and he deals with people that make the types of circuit boards that the builder used. I will talk with him some more to see if we can get some boards made.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:50 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

Chris'smax better hurry. www.car-parts.com has a AE 5spd with 13,000 miles for $800.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:09 PM
Licensed to Spell

Do you guys remember the electrical engineer .org member who made his cruise control buttons act as up/down manumatic shift padles? It was crazy. It acted like cruise control when you hit the cruise 'on' button. Otherwise one steering wheel button activated the manual shift mode and the other two acted as shift up/down. Totally sweet. Oh and he had a digital readout on the gauge cluster to tell you which gear you are in. This was 3+ years ago.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:19 PM

Do you guys remember the electrical engineer .org member who made his cruise control buttons act as up/down manumatic shift padles? It was crazy. It acted like cruise control when you hit the cruise 'on' button. Otherwise one steering wheel button activated the manual shift mode and the other two acted as shift up/down. Totally sweet. Oh and he had a digital readout on the gauge cluster to tell you which gear you are in. This was 3+ years ago.

Thats the one i remember. I emailed him but never got a response.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:21 PM

i just installed one on my car. its great. i love it. i really never knew that our first gear goes up to 45 mph until i was playing with it about a week ago.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:22 PM

i happened to stumble on the manumatic. i guess there were only seven made. i heard level 10 had a prototype for the tranny computer that was done on ferhan's a couple of years ago, but everyone that i talk to that has had work done has had problems with their work.

my auto was built by Jeff's transmission guy at Max Tuning in Glen Cove (Long Island), New York.

I was up there coaching Big East Conference, so I just dropped my car off at the beginning of the week and then had a fun drive home.

Chris: I can take the cover off the manumatic and take pics if you want. I was talking with someone that is in my Rotary Club and he deals with people that make the types of circuit boards that the builder used. I will talk with him some more to see if we can get some boards made.
Deff talk to the guy and see what he says about making them. What school and sport did you coach. Just wondering because i am a college sports fanatic
Old 05-23-2005, 03:24 PM

Deff talk to the guy and see what he says about making them. What school and sport did you coach. Just wondering because i am a college sports fanatic
Pittsburgh Swimming and Diving. I was a lowly intern coach at the time.

Talk to Rob from NRH too. Definitely DO NOT go with Level 10
Old 05-23-2005, 03:39 PM
Licensed to Spell

i just installed one on my car. its great. i love it. i really never knew that our first gear goes up to 45 mph until i was playing with it about a week ago.

Are you serious slimer? Made by the same guy? Or did he have his manufactured by a 3rd party? Is this something that we can buy or did you just get lucky? So yours uses the cc buttons and you have a digital readout? Who installed it?

Yeah, I pulled out the owner's manual just the other night to see the max speeds of 1st and 2nd. It says 37 and 72 I beleive, repsectively. And I'm sure Nissan is being conservative so 45 sounds right.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:01 PM

Are you serious slimer? Made by the same guy? Or did he have his manufactured by a 3rd party? Is this something that we can buy or did you just get lucky? So yours uses the cc buttons and you have a digital readout? Who installed it?

Yeah, I pulled out the owner's manual just the other night to see the max speeds of 1st and 2nd. It says 37 and 72 I beleive, repsectively. And I'm sure Nissan is being conservative so 45 sounds right.
I was super lucky. It is number six. Dave Sz and I installed it in about an hour and a half. Dave messed up my nice Se gauges on the install though. yucko.

the digital readout is red and looks great. its just underneath the od button. if the guy in my rotary club can produce the boards, it wont be hard to copy. i will even ask the original guy for his plans.

this is the one that i got
http://www.rcreations.com/manumatic/
Old 05-23-2005, 04:35 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

man, I'm out of the loop, never even heard of this...thats sick!!!!

this is the one that i got
http://www.rcreations.com/manumatic/

Quick Reply: Since everyone is posting about trannies, i need opinions on which route to take