Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Funny and Stupid SC Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 05:17 PM
be the change u want2C

Funny and Stupid SC Questions

Has anyone ever thought of using something else other then a pulley attached to the engine to power there s/c. since it takes parasitic power why not use one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
Just curious
Old 05-25-2005, 05:21 PM
be the change u want2C

i was thinking just attach the pulley top this secondry motor which sole purpose is to power the sc
Old 05-25-2005, 08:37 PM

Maybe you should think these things through before posting.

Power is never free. If you power an SC off of that, you still have to power that motor. So it's still going to require fuel. Plus the sheer complexity of using that would make it not worthwhile. It's going to be heavy, you'd have to fabricate a massive amount of mounting hardware. Plus, how on earth would you control the boost levels? You'd have to fabricate an entire system to work that.

Is all that really worth 20 hp in parasitic losses? Considering you'd have to fuel that motor, you'd probably end up ahead using the standard SC. Why do people think of these things? Outside the box is cool, but some things go so far outside they become retarded.

Originally Posted by Ninos_Maxima
^what i was just asking if it was possible
Old 05-25-2005, 10:13 PM
SomePsychoGuy

Original idea, but it leads no where.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Ninos_Maxima
i was thinking just attach the pulley top this secondry motor which sole purpose is to power the sc
I don't think this is such a bad idea. If you uncouple the blower rpm from the engine speed, then you have much more control over boost pressure, especially with a centrifugal blower. This is one of the advantages of a turbocharger over a belt driven supercharger, after all. There's no reason you can't have a separately controlled motor driving the supercharger rather than using exhaust gas, although I doubt you would approach the efficiency of a TC. There is already research being done with electrically controlled superchargers.

The power requirements for driving a supercharger at any meaningful boost level get up in the 20-40 hp range, though, so I don't think this model aircraft engine is going to cut it.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:20 PM
be the change u want2C

^thanx for atleast being open minded. What kind of small motor would you think could deliver that much hp?
Old 05-26-2005, 05:38 PM
SLOW

There probably isn't one... that's the whole point people are trying to make. Sure you could make it "work" but it would be totally pointless to do so. You'd add so much weight, complexity, and spend so much money that you could just have made your car faster the right way, instead of adding some off the wall setup that isn't as efficient in terms of time, money, and benefits.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
There probably isn't one... that's the whole point people are trying to make. Sure you could make it "work" but it would be totally pointless to do so. You'd add so much weight, complexity, and spend so much money that you could just have made your car faster the right way, instead of adding some off the wall setup that isn't as efficient in terms of time, money, and benefits.
Maybe not a gasoline engine, but Thomas Knight (I believe that is who it is) has developed a viable electric motor driven supercharger. It is still in the developmental stage, but he is making meaningful power with an electric supercharger and I believe some of the German auto makers are also doing research into it.

Obviously, but just in case somebody isn't reading too closely, I am not talking about the $150 ebay electric supercharger, which is nothing more than a 12V marine blower.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
Maybe not a gasoline engine, but Thomas Knight (I believe that is who it is) has developed a viable electric motor driven supercharger. It is still in the developmental stage, but he is making meaningful power with an electric supercharger and I believe some of the German auto makers are also doing research into it.

Obviously, but just in case somebody isn't reading too closely, I am not talking about the $150 ebay electric supercharger, which is nothing more than a 12V marine blower.

Is that the electric supercharger that cost like +2000 dollars. If so i saw the website and it looked like it was legit. No this was not a EBAY product
Old 05-27-2005, 10:22 AM

turbo > all... period