Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Hks-ssq

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 10:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hks-ssq

http://www.speedaction.net/hksssbovun.html ??

Well I may need to switch over to this because I cant get my car to run when my BOV is leaking air at idle..even with my BOV all the way tight, its still leaks air...

With this BOV it is a double valve BOV so it will close at -20, and open up at around -10 and be fully functional when I need it to be, I think..lol

Super Charged Guys Only !!

----> Im trying to find a BOV thats closed at idle but still is fully functional when I come off boost...is this the one I need ??

----> After coming off boost, do you guys hear alot of compressor surge ?? (being closed at -20, im afriad of coming off boost, and having compressor surge)
How is the BOV over-all sound ?? Looking at the flange, how does it connect to that flange

-matt
Old 07-16-2005, 10:53 AM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

Sorry I'm going to break your qualification to post

Anyway. The ssqv uses a pig snap ring to seal and seat itself into the ssqv flange. There are no bolts are anything of the sort.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:33 AM

I know...I'm sorry for all this posting...just trying to get my car runnin right, and you guys are the ones that know...
Old 07-16-2005, 02:11 PM

Vortech Mondo, IIRC, check with Renquin (Paul) to be sure.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by MardiGrasMax
Vortech Mondo, IIRC, check with Renquin (Paul) to be sure.
Paul has the same one I have, the Vortech Race, and his is tightened down ALL the way like I have it

-matt
Old 07-16-2005, 08:23 PM

Is that the point of a BOV, not to leak air at idle ?? If it doenst leak air at idle, how will it release air after I let off the throttle, if it jumps all the way down to -20, it wont be venting..

Ian, if you read this, please explain.. with my car, if i completly cover the half open Vortech BOV, my car idles perfect, the minute I let off and let it "vent" like it wants to, my car idles starts being loopy, and driving it is very hard....comeing off of boost, the car bucks alot...

-matt
Old 07-16-2005, 08:46 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Originally Posted by matty
Is that the point of a BOV, not to leak air at idle ?? If it doenst leak air at idle, how will it release air after I let off the throttle, if it jumps all the way down to -20, it wont be venting..

Ian, if you read this, please explain.. with my car, if i completly cover the half open Vortech BOV, my car idles perfect, the minute I let off and let it "vent" like it wants to, my car idles starts being loopy, and driving it is very hard....comeing off of boost, the car bucks alot...

-matt
The vacuum your seeing via the boost gauge is in the manifold. There will still be pressurized air in the piping, that is why it will still vent
Old 07-16-2005, 08:51 PM

yea, well the BOV only opens because of the vacuum its seeing from the vac source, resulting in air venting...the SSQV doesnt let ANY air out at idle but is still seeing a Vaccum source...I think thats the right way to do it...or have a regular BOV, tightened all the way down, and deal with compressor surge ( DEAP WOOOSH of air out the blower)

-matt
Old 07-16-2005, 09:24 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

yea, well the BOV only opens because of the vacuum its seeing from the vac source, resulting in air venting...the SSQV doesnt let ANY air out at idle but is still seeing a Vaccum source...I think thats the right way to do it...or have a regular BOV, tightened all the way down, and deal with compressor surge ( DEAP WOOOSH of air out the blower)

-matt
Well its hard to compare it to the ssqv because they are two types of bov's; i.e. one is push, one is pull... the way they work is totally diff't
Old 07-17-2005, 05:05 AM

Try turning your BOV to face the other way. I did this and it actually helped.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by MardiGrasMax
Try turning your BOV to face the other way. I did this and it actually helped.
What would that do ?? I have it pointing to the "Right" when you stand in front of the car

Im going to call Vortech tomorrow and talk to a tech about Surge on their compressors and having there BOV tightened all the way. I read an article today in Corky Bell's Book "Supercharged" and it said that to have compressor surge on a cintrifical compressor is not desirable but has no macanical disadvantage. the SSQV will still produce compressor surge just like the fully tightened Vortech Unit, but I just hope the Vortech Unit it releasing enough air after boost

-matt
Old 07-18-2005, 05:08 AM

Scientifically, I dunno. But it helped my problem a bit.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:37 AM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

my turboxs holds boost really well.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:18 PM

Hey Matty, what color bov do you have and how much are you wanting to sale it for, I would like it!
Old 07-18-2005, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by vortechpower
Hey Matty, what color bov do you have and how much are you wanting to sale it for, I would like it!
Blue Top, Polished Bottom...I may be keeping it...who knows
Old 07-20-2005, 08:02 PM

You guys think a slight compressor surge on the blower is a negative thing ?? everywhere I read sais its alright on a sintrifical blower...but not a turbo
I know you guys with SSQ are probably getting the same amount of surge as me..my vortech is all the way tight

-matt
Old 07-20-2005, 08:56 PM

"The HKS Super Sequential Blow-Off Valve (SSQV) is a dual stage pull type relief valve. Unlike other blow off valves that are push type, the SSQV will not leak under high boost conditions nor under vacuum at idle. Being of a pull type valve structure, the SSQV can not physically leak under any level of boost because boost pressure also keeps the valve closed against its seat. The SSQV is actuated by pressure alterations only, not by the rate of pressure or vacuum in the line, which ensures a quick valve response and complete closure during idle. On typical blow-off valve designs, a large valve is utilized in order to accommodate high boost / high horsepower applications. Can be vented to intake with recirculation kit or to the atmosphere."

That says it all -

http://www.lancershop.com/customer/p...5&cat=59&page=

I hear compressor surge but the blower has been reliably hitting 13PSI for almost 1.5 years now with no issues realting to surge (I have a slight oil leak I've been fighting below the blower at the return fitting, but that's another story).....the surge is fairly slight since any high levels of boost pressure are blown out by the BOV.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:02 PM

I dont mean like a surge of alot of boost...I mean driving down the street lets say in 2nd and giving it slight gas to about 2900 and letting off the throttle to shift..once i let off i hear a whoooshhhh of air going back out the blower

This is a brand new vortech BOV so it cant be that...I do have the BOV all the way tight

-matt
Old 07-20-2005, 10:09 PM

I know what you mean - it's normal - you aren't boosting at all at 2900RPM really - it's not much of an issue.

That's called "blower howl" - it's pretty standard with most setups.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:31 AM

I think this blower howl is normal cause Im getting it too. Im thinking it might also be because the blower is constantly blowing air so when you have the bov set/ and are making 10 + psi when driving at low rpms the bov is not releasing the smaller amounts of air (boost that the blower is creating) which gives the "howl" sound. I wonder if StephenMax gets this as well. Maybe since the charge pipe is so short on our setups the pressure is not great enough or enough of it to be released through the bov at low rpms. So it goes back out the blower. You know what Im saying? It basically takes a certain amount of pressure to allow the bov to open. When setting it past the point of being able to release this pressure your gettting this sound. The more you tighten it the higher the rpm before pressure will be released through the bov. Your not seeing boost at low rpm but the blower is making it....or something to that efffect. I said StephenMax because he has a longer charge pipe so maybe there is more pressure being built up in his charge pipe that would be enough to be released through the bov at lower rpm. Need to see what he says
Old 07-21-2005, 10:56 AM

What kind of sound will a supercharger/turbocharger make if you know its a compressor surge???
Old 07-21-2005, 11:36 AM

I dont mean like a surge of alot of boost...I mean driving down the street lets say in 2nd and giving it slight gas to about 2900 and letting off the throttle to shift..once i let off i hear a whoooshhhh of air going back out the blower

This is a brand new vortech BOV so it cant be that...I do have the BOV all the way tight

-matt
matty you might also have a leak at the elbow where the s/c connects to the charge pipe make sure its on tight.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:09 PM

this is very interesting b/c i got a hks ssqv, on my s/c max. and when im driving hard it works fine, but when i lightly drive and let off the gas i get that howl sound everyone has been talkin about in the last couple posts
Old 07-22-2005, 07:26 PM

the only time i really notice the sound is when im high in the RPM's and i let off the gas, like when im cruising on the highway or a main road. when i let off it makes that howl sound
Old 07-23-2005, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by dahman45
the only time i really notice the sound is when im high in the RPM's and i let off the gas, like when im cruising on the highway or a main road. when i let off it makes that howl sound
the howl sound is fine i get that too thats the back pressure being released, its the whooshing sound that isnt right. last yr i noticed some performance loss and couldnt figure it out. i noticed everytime i drove under a bridge or tunnel i would hear this wooshing noise when i released the gas. i examined all hoses and found the elbow was slighty loose and it would move every now and then and release pressure, that swoosh noise i was hearing. once i retightened all hoses and clamps it was solved. maybe its something as simple as that, you have to do a complete visual when you have these problems so you dont waste time stuck fixing somethiing thats not broke.
Old 07-23-2005, 05:50 AM

yeah ill have to check all my clamps, i think the rubber adapter i have for my hks might be to big and i think it might be leaking, thanks for teh help!

-chris