Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Turbo or SC?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 01:07 AM

Turbo or SC?

what would u rather do? and why..

just trying to get opinions
Old 07-28-2005, 04:02 AM
Team Ramrod

Why don't you try the supercharged/turbocharged forums?
Old 07-28-2005, 04:39 AM
MaximaDriver

inmy opinion turbo is better, you using exhaust gases to move browler, to move SC you need power from engine
Old 07-28-2005, 05:47 AM
KH3 by popular demand

The SC kit is going to be discontinued but you could still put it together just have to get a custom plate made and find all the little parts. With turbo you can either get a kit or get your piping custom made. I think turbo is more headache because of the custom piping that goes into it. That isn't going to stop me though. Heat is also a factor with the turbo, with the SC some people are having belt issues. It also depends on how quick you want to make that boost. If I wanted simplicity I would do SC, but I like challenges so I'm going turbo.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:29 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Superchargers tend to give you more low-end power than turbos; turbos are MUCH better on the high end and have a higher peak potential (fewer moving parts).

The Stillen supercharger kit is also cheaper simpler to install than any good turbo kit. If you want that, or if you're really gonna get down dirty with tweaking the thing for low-end grunt, that's your ticket.

The problem with low-end torque on our cars is that the highest tire width you can reasonably use on the front is 245. Those tires will start having trouble with a Stillen supercharged Maxima as it is... once you start tweaking it, you'd better hope you have good gas pedal control.

A turbo kit will give you more progressive power delivery, so you will still be fast when you really hammer it but you won't totally make a mess of your tires every time you pull from a stop light. Moreover, the PFI turbo kit is much more promising overall, IMO. They have dyno results where on an otherwise completely bone freakin' stock car (i.e. stock exhaust), it makes 276 hp with 4 PSI -- more than the Stillen kit at 6.5 or even 10 PSI. And that's with a not-sucky-but-not-too-good turbo. They're also talking about a 4th gen with MEVI, full 3" exhaust, and their turbo kit with a Garrett GT35R turbo on stock internals, injectors, ECU, and ignition that made 430 whp. Pretty scary.

Personally, I'd just go with a 3.5 swap. But if I were gonna do FI, I'd do the PFI kit with a nice, quick-spooling ball bearing turbo, and a full 3" exhaust. Great power, tons of fun, but also safe and very manageable. I like power, but I prefer my car to be a gazelle rather than a water buffalo, if you know what I mean.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

actually, the centrifugal s/c's offered for the maximas add no low end power. they have lag just like turbos do and don't create full boost till redline. they also aren't as efficient as turbos simply due to running on a belt. sometimes the compressor efficiency itself can be better than a turbo, but i don't think that would help out.

the s/c's that give more low end power are positive displacement superchargers (roots, screws). the only downside to those is they are very inefficient (roots being the least) and they tend to run quite hot due to not being able to aftercool.

with a properly sized turbo you can have very quick spooling with tons of mid-range and top end power. you should also be able to get some more low end power as well.

turbos are the most efficient of the forced induction options since they run off of the exhaust and very efficient compressor setup. the power isn't linear like a centrifugal s/c. with a quick spooling turbo you can have nearly instant power for a very smooth feel. the biggest benefit of the turbo over the centrifugal s/c is that once it spools, it stays at its maximum boost till redline. as i said above, the centrifugal s/c builds up boost gradually and makes peak boost at redline. this is probably the biggest problem with the centrifugal s/c imo.

if i were to do a forced induction setup on any of my cars this is the order in which i'd choose which unit to use:

turbo
screws s/c
roots s/c
centrifugal s/c

i personally won't put anything but a turbo on any of my cars. imo, they are the absolute best method of forced induction for any type of car whether it be street, autocross, road course, or the drag strip. when setup properly for each of those events you can have a car that will be hard to beat.

if the nhra didn't ban turbos, i bet you'd see every car there with a turbo setup beating any and all of the s/c cars. some s/c company probably slipped some money under the table to make the nhra ban turbos.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:22 AM
Sports Button FTW

supercharger's for our cars are highway beasts while turbo's can be used whenever. I had both, i know the feeling of both. supercharger is cheaper and less headaches, and normally a cleaner setup. If i had the choice to go back, i would get S/C unless i had the money for a quality turbo kit or if i was trying to break records.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by meccanoble
supercharger's for our cars are highway beasts while turbo's can be used whenever. I had both, i know the feeling of both. supercharger is cheaper and less headaches, and normally a cleaner setup. If i had the choice to go back, i would get S/C unless i had the money for a quality turbo kit or if i was trying to break records.
well put mecca. s/c is lower maintenance and if it breaks you can still drive the car N/A.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:11 AM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

Originally Posted by mtcookson

i personally won't put anything but a turbo on any of my cars. imo, they are the absolute best method of forced induction for any type of car whether it be street, autocross, road course, or the drag strip. when setup properly for each of those events you can have a car that will be hard to beat.
personally, sometimes i like not driving in boost. thats why a supercharger is good for me. when i don't want to boost, i just drive normally and save some gas. when i want to step on it, i can get up to triple digits VERY quickly.

thats just my preference though.
Steve
Old 07-28-2005, 09:47 AM
Sports Button FTW

whether supercharged or turbocharged, i think all will agree nothing feels better than shifting, hearing your BOV go off and watch someone near u turn their head to the sound with a grin of surprise. Ultimate satisfaction
Old 07-28-2005, 01:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

well put mecca. s/c is lower maintenance and if it breaks you can still drive the car N/A.
same goes for the turbo. i've had a turbo go on me before and i made the 1 hour drive back home with no problems. actually, if a belt breaks on a s/c and the belt is the same running something like the water pump or alternator you're screwed. you'd have to have some spare belts and tools in your car to keep that from happening. i'm not sure how the s/c setup is on the 4th gens but if the belt is like that, that wouldn't be a very reliable setup.

granted most s/c's last longer than turbos, if a turbo is maintained properly (oiled and cooled off properly) they can last for a very long time.

personally, sometimes i like not driving in boost. thats why a supercharger is good for me. when i don't want to boost, i just drive normally and save some gas. when i want to step on it, i can get up to triple digits VERY quickly.
that's still no different than a turbo. actually, a turbo is even easier to stay off boost than a supercharger is since their spooling is totally dependent on how much exhaust is running through there. i can hold my car at redline and still have vacuum if i wanted. without some sort of recirculation valve or similar most s/c's wouldn't be able to do that since they create boost per the rotation of the engine.

i've got 28.5 mpg running a very rich fuel mixture and having broken exhaust studs on the manifold, which reduces gas mileage even more. if i tuned it and fixed the exhaust leaks i should easily be able to get over 30 mpg.

another thing i forgot to mention was controlling boost.
with a turbo you can simply turn a **** or press a button on a boost controller to increase or decrease boost.

with a supercharger you have to pull the belt off, pull the pulley off, put a larger or smaller pulley on depending on what boost you want to make, get a different sized belt, then put it all back together.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:19 PM

I like the adjustability of a turbo easy to change boost. And if you do it right very reliable.