Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Opinions piecing together a turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 10:02 AM
KH3 by popular demand

Opinions piecing together a turbo kit

I've been reading the stickies and all and am trying to make sure I get it right to start piecing together a kit. I spoke to turbokits.com and they might sell me just the manifolds and down pipe either for the TSI ($500) or PFI ($800).

Turbo: I'm thinking about a maybe Turbonetcis or Garrett T04E 60 trim??
Injectors: 300zx turbo injectors?? looking to go around 10psi max..daily driver
Intercooler: Ebay of course!!
Intercooler piping: Greddy sells a kit for $130 (need advice on that one)
Engine managment: Super AFC II and z32 maf (J&S safeguard one day!! I am not ready to go the emanage route right now, I need more knowledge)
FMU: ??? can't figure the disk thing out, or go fully adjustable, which brand??
Fuel pump: Walbro 255
Aftermarket Fuel pressure regulator?? needed??
Wastegate??: Which type if the turbo doesn't have an internal?
BOV: HKS SSQ or possibly Apexi twin chamber
Wideband O2 kit
ACT clutch probably
Do we need to upgrade fuel rails???

My goal is 300hp but I don't race, I just want a sleeper street car, thanks for any advice oh boosted gurus..
Old 07-22-2005, 03:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

for 300 hp you shouldnt need to upgrade much, just the clutch. the vortech fmu just boosts fuel pressure per each psi of boost, at least thats my understanding, and the disks just give you diff ratios. i kinda like the bell engineering fmu though, or at least the idea of it, cause its fully adjustable. just my .02, im not running a turbo but i did some decent research until i changed my mind and looked at sc for simplicity. tial makes a good wastegate, the 38mm should work good. also, the greddy is the cheapest bov that i know of name brand and its not to bad ive heard. ive got an act clutch and i like it but some people dont cause its a little harsh and grabby compared to others with the same specs. and lastly, check out the garrett website and look at i think its called turbo tech 101 through 103, thatll help you match up a good turbo to your engine. a few calculations and its worth it. this is all just knowledge that ive picked up from the gurus. if anyone sees erros in my facts, feel free to correct me cuase i dont have it all down yet.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:42 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

I've been reading the stickies and all and am trying to make sure I get it right to start piecing together a kit. I spoke to turbokits.com and they might sell me just the manifolds and down pipe either for the TSI ($500) or PFI ($800).

Turbo: I'm thinking about a maybe Turbonetcis or Garrett T04E 60 trim??
Will work fine

Injectors: 300zx turbo injectors?? looking to go around 10psi max..daily driver
Anything over 280-290 whp you will need larger injectors and 10 turbo psi will give you well over that.

Intercooler: Ebay of course!!
Good place to buy, Boostcoolers, JRPR1, and C5corvettedude (sp?) all are good ebay intercooler guys. Just make sure your looking at the right sizes

Intercooler piping: Greddy sells a kit for $130 (need advice on that one)
Greddy does not sell any intercooler piping that will work for a maxima. It is either custom or the stuff with the PFI kit.

Engine managment: Super AFC II and z32 maf (J&S safeguard one day!! I am not ready to go the emanage route right now, I need more knowledge)
Many different ways to do this. At 10 psi your gonna need some timing control. Lower boost levels like 5-6 psi an FMU and SAFC will work good.

FMU: ??? can't figure the disk thing out, or go fully adjustable, which brand??
Good fuel solution for lower boost levels and stock injectors. Just increases fuel pressure based on boost, ie; making your injectors flow like larger ones. The disks just change the rising rate. ie; a 10:1 disk gives you 10 extra psi of fuel pressure for every 1lbb of boost

Fuel pump: Walbro 255
Good choice, what just about everyone here uses.

Aftermarket Fuel pressure regulator?? needed??
Depends on your set up. The walbro will bump up base fuel pressue by about 6 psi so a AFPR can bring it back to stock specs. It is also good for those trying to run larger injectors without an ECU upgrade or e-manage. ie; to much fuel at idle.

Wastegate??: Which type if the turbo doesn't have an internal?
I doubt you will run an internal wastgate. Go with a Tial 38mm. Don't want a cheap wastegate letting the boost creap on ya.

BOV: HKS SSQ or possibly Apexi twin chamber
I run the SSQV, love it.

Wideband O2 kit
Great to have. Not 100% necessary, but I would never tell anyone not to get one. I don't have one, but I had to spend money on dyno time to know my AF ratio, and will have to go back anytime I add power Just get one and be done with it.

ACT clutch probably
Used by many. I run a ClutchNet PP and disk
Do we need to upgrade fuel rails???
No

There is alot of other stuff your gonna need, but you have the basics listed
Old 07-26-2005, 11:15 AM

you are a very lucky man if turbokits.com will sell you parts to a turbo kit, i tried several times and they keep telling me that they are scared people are going to try to steal their design, i really think that they would be able to turn more of a profit if they would just sell the forward y and the down pipe because most people would rather put a kit together to their wants and or needs. if you manage to convince them to sell the exhaust parts to you please fill me in on how you did it!
Old 07-26-2005, 02:31 PM
KH3 by popular demand

Originally Posted by midnightmax01
you are a very lucky man if turbokits.com will sell you parts to a turbo kit, i tried several times and they keep telling me that they are scared people are going to try to steal their design, i really think that they would be able to turn more of a profit if they would just sell the forward y and the down pipe because most people would rather put a kit together to their wants and or needs. if you manage to convince them to sell the exhaust parts to you please fill me in on how you did it!
They are probably just 4th gen haters like everybody else that won't help.. Just kidding. I find it strange that they would say that, it's not like there are a bunch of options on how to run/buy pipe for our cars. I would sell because I don't think their kits are necessarily flying off the shelves, and when people ask if the piping is custom who would lie and say it isn't PFI?? That's a free plug for their product whole kit or not.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:35 PM
KH3 by popular demand

Jesse was the one that replied to my email BTW:
"T04B turbo is $750 plus shipping. Piping from TSI kit = $500 w/ downpipe. Piping for PFI kit = $800 w/ downpipe.

If you are asking further questions. Please reply with a copy of the original message.

Regards and Keep Tuning,

Jesse Pellegatto
Turbo-Kits.com - Boost Your Horsepower
http://www.turbo-kits.com
jesse@turbo-kits.com"
Old 07-26-2005, 05:50 PM
SLOW

There are a trillion more little things that you don't really think about when you are trying to piece together a kit but that are completely necessary. It'd be very hard to start and list them all. If you are going to piece together your own kit you need to be VERY knowledgeable of what you are doing, or you are going to find yourself either in a world of hurt (oops forgot to hook up the water lines to my ball bearing turbo) or you are going to be 2 days into your installation and remember some vital parts you need but don't have, and you have to then figure out which ones to get, order them, etc and your car is sitting there for 5 days waiting for the stuff to get shipped to you.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:19 PM
KH3 by popular demand

I won't be doing it by myself but being in the maxima community I wanted to make sure, I've still got a good while before it would be installed, I haven't even gotten piece #1 yet. Still have to pay off the car before I can even think about playing with boost. I definetly want to have a beater car to drive around while all this is going on incase something comes up.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:15 AM

i dont know who i was speaking with from turbo kits.com but i distinctly remember trying to convince him to sell it while i was on the phone wit him. and i still got the same answer.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:25 AM

here is my conversation with a rep from turbo kits .com

turbo kits com: Do you already have a kit
coolpathfinder: no but i do already have the other parts that i need and if at all possible i would like to avoid having to fabricate my own if its possible to buy one
turbo kits com: PFI does not piece out the kits
turbo kits com: They only supply the part separately if it is for a replacement on a current kit
turbo kits com: Sorry
coolpathfinder: thats alright i appreciate the help
turbo kits com: anytime
turbo kits com: Peace
Old 07-27-2005, 05:33 PM

so how exactly did you get the quote on the price and all of that? did you tell them that you already had a kit and needed a replacement part?
Old 07-27-2005, 06:19 PM
brotherhood of tq

maybe saying u have a kit is the best way to get them to sell people parts
Old 07-28-2005, 05:13 PM

well im sure that theyre not just gonna fork over the parts, they are probably going to ask for proof of purchase like a receipt or maybe they have you in their computer anyways.....besides the fact that i dont really want to lie to someone. i mean yeah i really wish that it was possible to just buy the parts from pfi or something, maybe if someone has some connections they could try to get them to sell just the feed pipe and the down pipe. all i know is they wont even give me the time of day when i ask them that question.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:26 PM
KH3 by popular demand

Originally Posted by maxgtr2000
Jesse was the one that replied to my email BTW:
"T04B turbo is $750 plus shipping. Piping from TSI kit = $500 w/ downpipe. Piping for PFI kit = $800 w/ downpipe.

If you are asking further questions. Please reply with a copy of the original message.

Regards and Keep Tuning,

Jesse Pellegatto
Turbo-Kits.com - Boost Your Horsepower
http://www.turbo-kits.com
jesse@turbo-kits.com"
In the actual email I asked for pricing plus shipping, and quoted above was the actual reply. Maybe you should just ask for Jesse if you call. But you could be right, they don't sell the parts on the site seperate just as a kit. But if they don't part out, why didn't he just say they don't sell the parts seperate. Why would he even give me a quote?
Update: http://www.turbokits.com/turbo_kits_faqs.html
They do sell parts individually (9th question down)