Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Walbro & FMU/FPR Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 06:01 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Walbro & FMU/FPR Install Questions

Sorry to be a pain but I have more questions about braided hoses since I'm not familiar with them:

I know I'll need -6 AN size hose but how much length should I get?

For the fuel rail fitting that I got from sx7r I can see that the connection is barbed which means a regular fuel line hose but can I use braided hose?

Can I drive around with the Walbro installed first and then install the fmu and fpr on a separate day?

I went to a speed shop after work today to get an idea of what it would cost to install these pieces including the walbro and with labour @ $75/hr they guestimated 5-6 hrs!
I know that it doesn't look that hard to do but since I'm dealing with fuel lines I'm not very comfortable with them. I don't want an engine fire because of my incompetence. On a scale of 1 to 5 where 5 is hardest what would the rating be here? The toughest and scariest job I've ever done was swap out the valve body.

Also I'm having a hard time picturing where the vacuum hoses connect up to once the oem fpr is taken off as the hose from there goes to the 5 connection tee.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:55 AM

It's not hard just time consuming. But here is a tip. Once you've lossen the clamps on the fuel lines in the engine bay do not start the car. And have something to wipe fuel off.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:23 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Originally Posted by Brushedpewter
Once you've lossen the clamps on the fuel lines in the engine bay do not start the car. And have something to wipe fuel off.
Who in their right mind would turn the car on with loose fuel lines?
Old 08-18-2005, 08:03 AM

When the car is stuck in the middle of parking lot with no tools you tend to forget that the clamps are not on. So far I have worked about 4 times with the fuel system. Mostly nitrous stuff.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by BlackCat
Who in their right mind would turn the car on with loose fuel lines?
Well, as the Bruce has said, "the best laid plans o' mice and men gang aft agley".
Old 08-18-2005, 08:19 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Better invest in a fire extinguisher for the car!

Okay guys, I need some feedback to my initial questions above.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:22 AM

I have the write-up for this on my site. It is not hard at all. I made the instructions very easy.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:29 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Originally Posted by LatinMax
I have the write-up for this on my site. It is not hard at all. I made the instructions very easy.
Thank you, LatinMax. I just found your homepage via google and printed it off. I found some instructions on handling braided hoses from Chevyhiperformance.com/howto/ as well.

And I just found StephenMax's statement about installing the Walbro from Sept.,2004:

"
The additional fuel pressure from the Walbro pump will only help to ensure a little extra richness at WOT, and the fuel pressure will not be so high at idle or cruising that your ecu can't compensate. I installed my Walbro pump several months before installing my SC kit, and I had absolutely no problems with the extra 6 psi or so of fuel pressure."
Old 08-18-2005, 09:38 AM

i thought the walbro was an inline pump instead of intank?
Old 08-18-2005, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by wunfstmax
i thought the walbro was an inline pump instead of intank?
Nossir. The Walbro is an in-tank pump, replacing the Vortech in-line pump that comes with the Stillen kit.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:15 AM

oh ok thank you for clearing that up for me.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:17 AM
TurboMax67

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
Well, as the Bruce has said, "the best laid plans o' mice and men gang aft agley".

I haven't heard that since I took 11th grade english.

Old 08-18-2005, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by TurboMax67
I haven't heard that since I took 11th grade english.

I think that was when I first read it. I was wondering if it was still part of high school English curriculum.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:48 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

I'm trying to figure out how things will go together here before I do any work. Correct me if I'm wrong here as I was trying to follow the flow route.

Here's a close up pic of the OEM FPR.

See where that rubber hose goes to at the top of the pic? I've read that the hose is the fuel return line.

I've looked at the fuel rail last night and can see the fuel line running from the fuel filter to the FMU and from there it goes to an array of metal piping underneath the throttle body, exits out to a fuel line to the fuel rail for the front bank of injectors. The fuel loops round to the rear bank of injectors and exits through the FPR and then back to the gas tank?

So, if I replace the FPR with sx7r's adaptor, that should be fine if I just leave the other end of that hose connected at the hose clamp and attach it to the adaptor, right? Hmmm, after looking at the pic again I think I need a slightly longer hose. For that adaptor, can I use braided hose or should I be using regular fuel line hose?

As for the vacuum hose, here's a pic of the vacuum hose coming off of the FPr into the 5-Tee connection:

Since the FPR will be gone I'm assuming that the vacuum hose from replacement FPR will hook up with the Tee connection, right? And the vacuum hose that went to the top of the Vortech disc now goes to the Cartech?
Thanks for your help, guys!
Old 08-19-2005, 09:15 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

10characters
Old 08-19-2005, 09:50 AM

The hose coming from the fpr is the fuel return line. It goes to the cluster of brass fuel and vacuum pipes, and from there to your fmu. I don't think you are going to have enough slack in the hose to connect it directly to the fitting. What I did was run a fuel line directly from the fitting to my adjustable fpr, bypassing the brass tubes.

If you are using a Cartech fmu, you will also need an aftermarket fpr. You can't set base fuel pressure with the Cartech fmu.

The vacuum line to the oem fpr should go to whatever new fpr you get. Since the Cartech fmu has a boost bleeder, you want to provide it with its own dedicated vacuum line. If you tee off the vacuum line going to the fpr, then the fpr won't see the full manifold pressure when boosting. This may not be a problem since you are going to be doing some tuning anyway, but I like to keep the waters as unmuddied as possible.

Whatever you do, don't tee the Cartech vacuum line into the boost gauge line. If you do, your boost gauge won't register all the boost you're making.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:59 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Thanks Stephen for your reply!
Bypassing crossed my mind too, but if I was to bypass that cluster of brass tubes do I close off the open ends, and if so, with what? Or is it a straight connection?

The hose coming from the fpr is the fuel return line. It goes to the cluster of brass fuel and vacuum pipes, and from there to your fmu. I don't think you are going to have enough slack in the hose to connect it directly to the fitting. What I did was run a fuel line directly from the fitting to my adjustable fpr, bypassing the brass tubes.

If you are using a Cartech fmu, you will also need an aftermarket fpr. You can't set base fuel pressure with the Cartech fmu.

The vacuum line to the oem fpr should go to whatever new fpr you get. Since the Cartech fmu has a boost bleeder, you want to provide it with its own dedicated vacuum line. If you tee off the vacuum line going to the fpr, then the fpr won't see the full manifold pressure when boosting. This may not be a problem since you are going to be doing some tuning anyway, but I like to keep the waters as unmuddied as possible.

Whatever you do, don't tee the Cartech vacuum line into the boost gauge line. If you do, your boost gauge won't register all the boost you're making.
I have the A1000-6 Aeromotive fpr:

I picked up the fuel rail adaptor from Thomas but now I just searched and found that I'll need a 45 degree swivel hose end to clear the throttle body.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:04 AM

I just left them open. It will just be a superfluous short length of brass tube, so no need to close it off.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:09 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

I just left them open. It will just be a superfluous short length of brass tube, so no need to close it off.
I see! Excellent! I don't have to worry about that part at all!

Now about the dedicated vacuum source for the Cartech....where would be the best place to tap in?

I've collected all of the parts below, except #11 & #12:

I'm guessing that #7 takes a regular fuel hose and not a braided hose?
Old 08-19-2005, 10:15 AM

I drilled the IM just behind the throttle body and press fit in a brass hose nipple.

You could try teeing into the vacuum hoses going to the egr or evap solenoids. I believe they won't leak boost pressure, and it doesn't matter what they do as far as the Cartech is concerned at partial throttle.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:20 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

I drilled the IM just behind the throttle body and press fit in a brass hose nipple.
Thank you Stephen!
When you mention IM you mean intake manifold?
Old 08-19-2005, 10:33 AM

Thank you Stephen!
When you mention IM you mean intake manifold?
Yes. I got lazy.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:05 PM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

I looked at the part that sx7r sent me and its a barbed end, not a threaded end. Pardon my noob question but I take it that its for a rubber hose?
Old 08-19-2005, 01:41 PM

I looked at the part that sx7r sent me and its a barbed end, not a threaded end. Pardon my noob question but I take it that its for a rubber hose?
Yes

You could try teeing into the vacuum hoses going to the egr or evap solenoids. I believe they won't leak boost pressure, and it doesn't matter what they do as far as the Cartech is concerned at partial throttle.
Not to hijack the tread. But I had thought of "T"ing off of the charge pipe for my boost gage and blow-off valve for more accurate response, that the regular vacum lines.
Would you suggest that?
Old 08-19-2005, 01:55 PM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Originally Posted by LatinMax
Yes
If that is the case isn't it safer to stick with braided hose?

I've been all over the Russell Performance website to get some connection answers and Twist-Lok hose may be the answer here.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:14 AM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

If that is the case isn't it safer to stick with braided hose?

I've been all over the Russell Performance website to get some connection answers and Twist-Lok hose may be the answer here.
those are tough to get on. you need to lube it with something
Old 08-23-2005, 11:23 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Before I hack up the wrong hose I've colored the hoses I believe I can use. I just need confirmation that I'm on the right track:
Old 08-23-2005, 11:37 AM

The red colored hose leads to the egr VSS. I would use that one.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:41 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

The red colored hose leads to the egr VSS. I would use that one.
Thank you, Stephen. You're the man!
Old 08-23-2005, 01:47 PM

BlackCat I sent you a PM

Thank you, Stephen. You're the man!
Isnt it ok to just have a T off the of the stock FPR vaccum source and use that for everything ?? FPR, FMU, BOV, canister for MEVI ?? thats how i have mine setup minus the FMU of course

Why use that red line for vac source ??

-matt
Old 09-23-2005, 12:43 PM

Sorry to bring up an old thread, I was wondering if the red hose is a larger sized hose?